The mysterious case of the missing manhoods. Part 2

Printer-friendly version

Mr. Francis Lane-Steward II

I cannot in good conscience give you the former title of Lord after your previous letter to my daughter. Rest assured my husband is being notified of your blatant attack on our family and I believe will have words with you on the matter upon his return from the colonies.

I can scarcely believe you would blame this unfortunate accident on my son, who from the manservant, I'm assured was not the one to blame. It is my understanding, that if anything, it is young Francis who is to blame with his rather widely known shameful display upon the women.

Furthermore I also believe that some compensation is due to my new daughter from your family. As such the seamstresses have been notified to send all charges for her new wardrobe to your estate until further notice.

I expect that should this continue my good friend Queen Caroline, who has been notified of this blatant attack as well, would be more than happy to settle this.

I expect an apology from you in both writing and formally in the court to my daughter.

Lady Margrette Ansbach-Stewart

Dearest Cousin,

I sorry to hear that you were also afflicted by this. I offer my condolences. From your letter you are adjusting this much better than I. I am also delighted that your mother is pleased with you as her daughter.

I have not had that proof of womanhood yet aside from a few minor upset stomachs for a few days, for which I am grateful, as in truth im am quite afraid of such an occurrence. I expect it will come and shatter any semblance I have of my former manhood. Mother assures me that the range of emotions I am feeling are a part of that and that I will get used to such things occurring on a monthly basis. It is not something I look forward too as I have had some rather unfortunate screaming fits with mother over this.

I am still not in any way used to this finery and find myself tripping over the hem of these dresses quite alot. Mother is constantly reminding me to take shorter steps, a lady is dainty and demure.
Before the note from your father, which I will tell more of its reception in a moment, I was under the impression that the Queen was to send her governess to teach us deportment. Since this is now apparently not to happen, for which I thanked the Lord, other arrangements are to be made.

I fear your fathers letter did not arrive at a good time as we were having tea in the parlour with Queen Caroline and her niece Dame Elizabeth of Mercalis, who is not someone either of us would have courted in the past she has a dreadful wart beside her nose. When my mother Lady Margrette, who is usually the epitome of graceful, read your fathers letter the vulgar words that issued forth caused quite a stir I can assure you.

I fear thing got rather out of hand for awhile and I had little choice but to take Dame Elizabeth out to the rear garden terrace to continue our tea. The poor dear was quite in shock and it took myself quite a while to get color back into her.

I do not understand how your father could prevent us from meeting as the season is to be upon us, I would rather avoid this as we did in pass times, in a few months. Mother has been working to get me ready as a debutante of course. I fear she has also been trying to find myself a husband as well. I really don't need one, want one, or would consort with one. But I fear she will not be deterred.

My once single wardrobe has been replace with a much larger wardrobe to accommodate all the dresses I now have. It would seem that I am to change more often than I need to use the garderobe, although I am not pleased at the amount I have to use it especially in this finery which I can assure is not made to accommodate such. My hair has been trimmed and styled with the many curls that young ladies wear. I do in truth miss the quick brush I used to do, my long auburn hair is quite annoying as it really does not seem to want to stay put. I shed hair pins often as well it seems as I cannot seem to find them when the maid and I ready for bed.

Much of my bedroom furniture has been changed as well. I now have a vanity, where I am told my makeup will be set when I am ready for it. I have many perfumes already which are on aforementioned vanity. I truthfully did not know that there was so many and how wonderful they smell so I may have overindulged at the apothecary.

Oh I should mention that our friend young Lord Mathis did come a courting the other day. He is quite handsome and charming. I do not know why I didn't notice this beforehand. His studies as an apprentice in the academy are proceeding quite well. I was very moved when he conjured fresh lilies for me in the parlor. My Maid however prevented me from doing much although I wanted to see more such displays of magic.

There is so much I wish to discuss with you but I am aware that this letter should be kept short.

As far as we have been able to tell, when my maid will let me chat with my former manservant Charles, we two seem to be the only ones thus affected so far. There was a few men on the dockside that did die of mysterious ailments but at this time we do not believe they are connected. Since my times are limited to discuss with Charles about what happened, also we are chaperoned which limits some of what may be said. That is the most we have found out so far. Mayhap I can learn more from the ladies at tea when I am ready for the season.

All my best wishes to you.

Lady Colleen Stewart

P.S. I am sorry that my previous spelling was in error as you can see though my penmanship is improving and much more feminine. I will send this letter through the dressmaker as I do not wish to cause strife with your maid.

up
87 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Leters

All I Can Say is Cute! Richard

Richard