The mysterious case of the missing manhoods. Part 6 the replies updated.

Printer-friendly version

Colleen,

your most recent note alarms me. The meaning confounds me. Were you interrupted and sent this fragment off in error? Or are you in danger, some delayed apoplectic fit from that foul magic?
I will make every effort to see you this day if I can but escape confinement.

Since the inexplicable arrival of a scroll and your father's latest missive father has treated the house as if a castle preparing for a siege. I am under constant watch and save for moments during my daily ablutions am forever in the company of a maid and no less than one of fathers most loyal servants, often more. I shall do my utmost to break away and come to you but it is most difficult. I send this via a stable boy, the younger to my ladies maid.

Your cousin and friend forever,

Francis

P.S. Have courage, my cousin. I received but moments ago a sealed letter from our Grandmother. Perchance she will have some favorable news for us. She always treated us kindly even when rebuking us when we were unruly. I will read it then come to you post haste.

*****

I am so relieved you are unharmed and well, dearest Colleen,

I know this is an improper way to open a communication but you will admit your note was most confusing and alarming.

As to ink, if needs be the galls of certain plants, golden rod I think and the bark from certain trees, black walnut is another, anything with tannin in it can be steeped in boiling water, filtered then boiled down into a substitute for purchased ink. Not as fine as the India we are used to but quite serviceable. Tea or coffee that is not destined for the table or has gone bad can also be boiled to make an ink. I recall how tealeaves may be used in a police to heal a minor wound. I remember all manner of uses for plants and the renderings of animal to heal, invigorate, rejuvenate and conversely to do harm, nay kill.
I don't remember where I learned this but there are so many strange and exciting thoughts in my mind now. Upon opening grandmother's most soothing letter I have felt odd. Odd yet better in some way. I feel like some impediment to my wellbeing has been rendered asunder and my abilities are unrestrained. I no longer feel a week and frail female. Oh I am assuredly a woman but I KNOW the power within my grasp. It is as if the I was blind and now the World was open to me in all the Maker's glory.
The fits of lust that near brought me to me ruin remain but they no longer disturb me. I saw one of fathers coachmen, a young and most virile of men and though I desired him greatly I was in full control of my faculties. I found myself debating if he was worthy of my *charms* and how I could bend him to my every whim. I knew exactly how to do that and nearly did so!

I had the most wicked of thoughts of late but was able to restrain myself.

What has happened to me?

I wondered if it was something to do with the magic used upon us. I endeavored to repeat the candle lighting spell Grandmother tried to teach us as boys but that we could never quite manage.

I placed a night stand candle in a fireplace to be safe. I spoke, more I *thought* the incantation. I managed to light it in a way. n the very insytan I complted the spell the candle burst into a ball of flame and smoke and was gone. Nothing remained of it except soot and smoke.

What has become of me?

I cannot get out of the house as father has servants watching every exit.

I pray Grandmother arrival will being us succor.

Francis.

*******

Everett,

you are my brother yet in this matter of our daughters you behave at times as a stranger.

I understand your caution in inspecting, even quarantining your dearest Colleen's mail. I well know a simple letter could hide within a spell or command more delirious to her. I refer to my niece Colleen as Colleen because that is who see is, my brother. Your son is gone my son is gone but we have two fine young daughters in their place. Your Colleen and my Francis are everything our sons. Their being women is a trifle vs their being dead.

To the core of this missive; give Colleen our mothers letter post haste. You know the danger of tampering with her seals, most assuredly she has used some charm or spell to ensure only her granddaughter may break it with impunity. What our mother wants we must as good sons accept. I can but surmise from my own experience that the effect of the letter upon your Colleen will be most beneficial.

As to my Francis, she opened her letter before I learned of it. The effects were all but miraculous. I know not what mother wrote or if the letter carried some spell or charm of hers. I know only my Francis was imbued with a confidence, a purposefulness I have not seen since her transformation, nay before so far as a father can know these things. The fear and uncertainly have been replaced with a stead resolve and a strength of will. It takes all of my servants to keep her safe in my home, so determined is she to meet with your Colleen and solve this mystery.

Tis not only her will but her mind is clear of thought, sharper, brighter than before. Perchance it is her renewed confidence that makes it so yet I feel certain she has grown more beautiful. This foul spell made my son a most comely young woman. Following the arrival of mother's letter, my Francis has become a great beauty, surpassing my own beloved wife in her prime. It is painful to gaze upon her. She is beauty distilled and concentrated.

I agree, we must meet with mother as her wisdom and skill in the mystical arts are our last hope to save our children and to stop this foul curse from being perpetrated upon others. I shall make certain my Francis has suitable travel garments and will join with you and Lady Colleen in greeting our dear mother home.

Your brother,

Francis.

* * * *

Colleen,

I have been quite naughty and spied on father's letters from my uncle, your father, and even a scroll from Grandmamma to my father.

I have wondrous news, Grandmamma is coming and you will be greeting her at the dock in a fortnight. I understand your father is procuring appropriate travel clothes for you. Do not let him know that I know. I shall move Heaven and Earth to accompany you, I promise.

I am certain Grandmamma ensorcelled the letter to me as I have been wondrously invigorated ever hence. She remains fond of us and sympathetic to our fate. I am certain she loved us as boys though I infer from her writing she is pleased at our becoming ladies. Please inform me of what she wrote to you and what *gifts* she included.

I feel most wicked in spying upon fathers messages. Grandmamma is greatly vexed at our father's actions or lack of them in informing her concerning our transformations. I long believed grandmamma capable of near anything yet she has surpassed my wildest imaginings. On opening her scroll to father a second letter to us, to her granddaughters, appeared written between the original's lines.

"To my talented and beautiful granddaughter, Francis, who I knew would spy upon her father.

You are MY granddaughter which is why I included this message as I was certain you would find it. Bravo my brave and clever girl. You and your equally magnificent cousin Colleen are the future of the family. I have waited long for this day."

These are Grandmamma's exact words, Colleen. Grandmamma loves us there can be no doubt. She said she would arrive no later than a fortnight from the sending of the scroll and that she was overjoyed at having us to tutor in "the arcane arts", again I quote from her message.

Do not fear, she will not punish our fathers... much. She intends to take them to task so if your father speaks of Grandmamma coming act afraid. Grandmamma is deliciously devious in this and we are not to "spoil her fun", her words. I can nar contain my glee knowing her plans. Would you mind, dear cousin, having a young oriental maid for some months? Or perchance a younger sister beginning her bloom? Grandmamma is not decided upon which course is best.

I pity my father and uncle, steadfast gentlemen that they are. Such a change though short in time would weigh heavy on their pride. Yet would you agree being a woman is more good than ill? I no longer am angry of my change, my dearest cousin. I pray you are content in yours.

I woke this day to a frightful discovery. My night clothes and bed linens were covered in blood. I was terrified the foul magic had damaged me and I was to die. Mother assured me it was proof I am a woman and soon may carry a child. This womanly thing, the menses I am told is the term a physician uses, is most inconvenient and distressing. I am told to expect this for a few more days and for a recurrence once every cycle of the moon. My admiration for other women expanded many fold today. Yet the thought of cradling a babe as it suckles upon my teat is a pleasant thought. It makes this but an inconsequential monthly annoyance.

That I am not in an asylum the evening tis further proof of Grandmamma's beneficence upon me. This menses would have unhinged my faculties if not for her blessing. I am certain of this. As I was I doubt my mother could have calmed me from my fit upon seeing my bloody self this morn.

Dear Colleen, the man I was becoming, his desires, his concerns are fast fading, replaced by MY feelings and concerns. Lady Francis is who I am and shall evermore be and I am happy, deliriously happy. I wish you the same.

As to our being women, eligible, desirable women. I am informed the two wizards that expressed interest in us are looked upon with favor by Grandmamma, though she will not impose her will on us. I am please to pronounce she is an adherent to letting love bring a couple together above arranged marriage. She said not to rush headless into matrimony but to take the time we need to mature as women. We are to use our wit yet let our hearts guide us. She is confident we will choose well. She gave her solemn oath she will not pressure us. I believe we have a season perhaps two before she asks why she has no great grandchildren.

Colleen, forgive me. Grandmamma said no such thing. She will wait until we are ready to be mothers.

I heard of the sword in your door that refuses to be extracted. Grandmamma's work I'll wager. Why not but change the door if the sword is so stuck. Seems the logical solution. But then our fathers are quite willful, are they not.

Tell me what your travel clothes will look like as I wish to dress in a complementary fashion so we might impress Grandmamma. I wish to thank her for easing my fits of wantonness. I fear I might have killed myself if I had give in to the curse. Grandmamma's ministrations gave me mastery or should it be make me the mistress over my urges. They remain most intense but do not rule me. I can gaze upon a handsome man and need not battle to keep from prostrating myself at his feet. Though I must admit I do theorize what it would be like to let my passions loose. My wizard friend Charles features prominently in my musings. Commoner or not you will agree he is most manly if you should chance to meet him.

Colleen, there is a secret I am bursting to tell. You must swear an oath not to let anyone know. You must not hint of it, not to your mamma, not anyone. Remember what it was like as a young man to view a pretty young woman? That most pleasant diversion of our late boyhoods has returned. I thought I was doomed to be a proper lady, soon married and birthing a dozen or more babies until I am worn out, old, unattractive and my husband leaves me to plow the garden of some younger woman. Yet the seeds of being scandalous are sprouting in the garden of my mind. Not that I would leap into the land of Lesbos but that I have the choice is a comfort. I will likely chose to obey convention but that I have free will to do so is a gift. Sorry if I shock you, Colleen but you know I speak my mind freely with you and you may do so with me.

Your cousin and servant,

Francis.

* * * *

( John in Wauwatosa)

up
63 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This keeps getting better

Finally Colleen's father has given her her grandmother's letter but I wonder if it will help him to stop lusting after her.

This is the first of your

This is the first of your stories I have read. Of
course the content, the intellect and language within is a delicious and welcome change for the
better..
So happy to see that you have an extensive collection for me to enjoy!

alissa