If I hurt you I'm sorry.

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Caution: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

This is supposed to be the cheerful time of year. The expected Merry Christmas greeting and salutation is given.

For me it is not so easy. Actually it is pretty hard. A decade ago my mother collapsed in the house at thanksgiving. A trip to the doctors and she was not stabilizing so she was rushed to the bigger hospitals in the city. After a month had gone by and we were well into November a decision was made to remove the growth in her head. It was cancer.

She recovered in the hospital and was home for that final Christmas but barely. There was no tree. No gifts as we had all been back and forth to the hospital so many times our monthly incomes were barely covering our parking costs. Friends and extended family brought over food. One restaurant that my parents had been going to with a local car group donated three large, and I mean large about 3 feet long and 2 feet wide, trays of lasagna to us. Tasted awful but that was our meals for three weeks.

(sorry hard to write about this)

The day our mother was to come home we rushed to put up all of her Christmas decorations for her. My sister and I were still decorating the tree as my father drove into the driveway with mom in the passenger seat. My former mother, while always practical in her wardrobe, was thin. Her once long shiny hair was flat and shaved bald on one side. The wheelchair was pulled into the house with her trying to mumble and cry as she saw the decorations. She was completely aware of us but she had a hard time speaking. We gave her the few gifts we could afford and she was quite happy. We all were, my sister and myself crying buckets when she wasn't looking.

The Christmas music played with all her favorites. This time of year was always my mom's favorite and she always made it special. We had visitors everyday or we went to family gatherings at rented halls where she was able to move around and see everyone. It was the hardest Christmas ever. Just about all the women were holding back tears as they got to see my mom. I didn't realize it but she had somehow impacted on all my relatives and family friends. Each was hurt to see this once vibrant woman so confined to a wheelchair. Even more so because of cancer.

I lost the job I had at the time because I needed to spend the time with my mother. While everyone worked I would help my mom. Although I was not supposed to I had her peel potatoes. It exhausted her but I could tell that being useful made her happy. Slowly time passed and my mom recovered enough to be mobile walking around and going to visit many of our friends with my father. They told her that after her last chemo treatment it was gone. However I later found out this was a lie. She started to get sicker and tired more and more. By may of the next year she could no longer even recognize any of us. Still she fought day after day for her life.

It was 11:15 pm July 29 when her body gave out on her. We were all holding her hands as the last bit of life left her. My one person that I could always run to or talk to was gone. It took me two weeks to cry. When I did I couldn't stop for hours. I slept there on her grave a few times because I missed her so much. I didn't want her to go. I couldn't let her go I was not ready.

The rest of the year was a dark blur. Birthdays passed, as did thanksgiving. Time flew by and Christmas came again. We tried but every song, every decoration, every passing greeting reminded me so much of my mother I would gush tears. My barely healed wound was torn open anew.

It has been 12 years now and every year the songs, the closeness, the atmosphere reminds me anew of what I have torn from me. My wound is opened anew each year and it wont heal. I cannot describe just how much I hurt. I feel cold in a place that was once so full of warmth of her love. When I most need her hugs they are not there. The small things I would have asked her opinion on haunt me without answers. Every meal that I had learned from her just for the season brings the memories I cannot forget.

I know I should feel joy, happiness and remember the good times but all I see is my mother's heart monitor flatline while her hand goes cold. I cannot get that out it comes every year at this time. And every year the pain of the loss is renewed. I hide it and give out the wishes in public. But in private my dreams are filled with the last moments of her life and I wake up with red eyes and a soaked pillow.

I see the holiday cheers, the merrymaking, the family gatherings were people smile, the decorations, the lights, but everything has no color, no depth and no life. To me that all was a part of my mother who made it all come alive.

I try to hide my pain and not lash out at others but there is so much that some spills out. If I offend people it is not my intention at all and believe me when I say that I really and truly and deeply sorry.

Tels (Jacilynn)

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

((((Tels))))

Peace to your heart, and healing to your soul, is my prayer for you.
You are loved and appreciated.
**Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Thank you

I had to let it out.

Eventually ...

We all have to, in some way 'let it out' for if we don't it will gnaw away at our very essence before finally doing for us.

Jacilynn it took me 52 years before I found some sort of closure and only then after my brother's daughter had located me after years of trying to find me. You see all my computer, on-line activity is in my femme name thus few know my male name outside of my close personal circle. Once my brother and I found each other, there were rivers of tears. Only then could I speak of it after I had spoken to him, blamed him (totally unfairly for he was only 8 when I was disposed of,)and eventually reconciled my anger to his own hurt and anger at having had his younger brother stolen from him (as he saw it,)at such a tender age.

I probably hadn't cried for nearly forty years until we were introduced by his daughter, my niece.

Yes Jacie, it hurt, it hurt like hell!

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

big, long hugs sis

Wish I had more to offer, hon. Big, gentle hugs.

DogSig.png

There's a theme...

Andrea Lena's picture

...that runs in and out and through the score of Ben Hur; A Mother's Love. Very moving for me when I think of my own mother's passing just nineteen years ago this past Saturday. Whenever I hear the score, I can still close my eyes and hear her voice, which is as comforting as it can ever get. Even now, this time of the year both teases and soothes almost in the same moment. I am so sorry you bear this sad burden. You remain in my heart and in my prayers, dear one.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Tels (Jacilynn), I know how you feel

when I was 12, lost my Dad during this time of the year.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I am here for you anytime you

I am here for you anytime you need me, so are others. Hugs Jacilynn big loving hugs.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

tels, I know the feeling.

Watching cancer slowly kill mom at home in 2005 is still painful. Then my older sister dying six omths late.

In the space of a year I lost an aunt, mom's oldest sister one month before mom died, and my youngest aunt, a few months after my sister.

Thses last two months was my cousin and THIS week, his father.

Makes my aunt, dad's sister, a widow after 67 years of marraige.

Funeral is this Saturday.

But I am sure most of us here have similar tales to tell.

What can I say?

Remember and move on I guess.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your pain with us. The sharing helps me, at least, feel closer to you. Grieving is so damned hard and you wrote it so well.

May your heart heal the wound and your spirit remember the joy and may you be at peace.

With love, sister,

Joani

tels, this might help with your loss

write your lost loved ones into your tales.

Heck, a lot of my stuff is based/influence on bits and pieces of how I remember my mother and others I have known. Suitably twisted by my imagination.

Plus you can take that jack ass bully from middle school and make him or her into your own literary whipping person.

-- grin --

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Hum... that gives me an idea... Muhwa ha ha ha ha!

P.P.S. I'm serious. Use memories of your loved ones in your stories. What did the Greeks call it? Catharsis?

John in Wauwatosa

Oh dear sweet Jacilynn...

I feel your pain and anguish, for I have lived it myself. I myself was my mothers primary care giver for over three years doing things for her my own sister couldn't do, I think back upon that time and have come to the conclusion that my mom saw something in me that at the time I did not even recognize, the female side of me. So my dear sweet girl friend, I feel your pain and my heart and prayers goes out to you! Many many Big Hugs, Taarpa

When . ..

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

When the holiday trappings bring your mother to mind, think of the smile these same trapping would have brought to her face and how much joy they gave to her.