Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 386.

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off The World.
by Angharad
part: 386

dormouse.jpg

I drove for some distance, I wasn't sure where. My driving had been on auto-pilot, my mind was very much elsewhere. I was very disapointed in myself, attacking Tom like I did. He was partly in the wrong, but to embarrass myself like that, was crazy. At one point, I did wonder if I was crazy.

I pulled over and wept for about half an hour, apart from what I'd have to say to Tom, to apologise - just what was I going to say to Simon? He'd be disappointed with me too. I hated to think what Stella thought of me, thank goodness I didn't hurt the dumb mutt. That would have been unforgiveable and a criminal offence.

I wondered where I was. I'd have to go further to find out. I pulled myself together and started off again. I recognised the eastern approaches to Bristol. I had a house there except it was on loan to my unfortunate neighbours. I wondered if the reconstruction of their place had started. It had to be three months or more since I saw the house, probably longer.

I drove to my house, the phrase 'my house' felt quite strange. I hadn't used it since I was a kid - 'let's meet at my house' sort of thing. Now it was mine, yet at the same time with Margaret and her slimy husband, Gregg in occupancy, it wasn't mine.

Their car wasn't parked in the drive, maybe they were out shopping or something? I parked mine on the driveway. I knew my dad's Mondeo was in the garage, I'd have to sell it or do something with it. I didn't recall filling in the form to say it was off the road, so there could be more trouble waiting for me.

I peered through the window and then rang the bell. As I waited, I looked at my neighbour's house, it looked as if the building was pretty well finished, so maybe they had moved back without telling me. Or maybe they had and I hadn't noticed. I seemed to be a bit behind with paper work at the moment.

I peeped through the letterbox, and saw a whole mass of mail lying behind the door. What was going on? I found my key and opened the door, the mound of mail made it difficult to push open. I forced my way in and gathered it up, dumping it on the kitchen table. I wouldn't be short of reading matter tonight.

I then did a quick tour of the house, no one had been here since I locked it up when I left after the funeral. I wondered what had happened to Margaret and Gregg, but I had my own problems - thankfully, one of them wasn't finding somewhere to sleep.

I unloaded my car and locked the bikes away. Spike, I brought into the kitchen and gave her some hazel nuts. She ate them as if nothing had happened, yet it was a long time since she had travelled in a car. Maybe she had more confidence in me than I did. As soon as I could, I would organise a larger cage for her, but until then, she'd have to make do with her travelling one.

Having secured everything, I dashed off to the supermarket and stocked up with a few days food. The fridge and freezer compartments would need a wash, but they had been left switched on, albeit with nothing much in them.

Back home and a cuppa inside me, I felt a bit better. I'd have to apologise to Tom and the university, although I neither expected nor wanted to return there. I would like Tom's forgiveness, but that would be for him to decide and I wouldn't blame him if he witheld it.

I busied myself cleaning the fridge and the freezer, then the bread machine. I wasn't very hungry - too upset - but maybe the smell of bread cooking would change that. I had Flora spread and some fresh mousetrap.

Another cuppa and I vacuumed and dusted everywhere. For the first time ever, I found some comfort in housework. I switched on the hot water and aired some sheets for an hour before making up my bed. I still slept in my own bed, unless Simon was with me, then I used the spare room.

It was evening before I noticed the aroma of the bread cooking dominating the lavender smell of the furniture polish. My stomach grumbled, it had had nothing since breakfast. I made some more tea and a short while later was tucking into fresh wholemeal bread and cheese. Even Spike was nibbling on a crust of bread.

I was on my second cup of tea when my mobile phone peeped to indicate a text had been received. I got it from my bag and opened the text, it was from Simon.

C where R U? We R all frantic wiv worry.
Contact me soon, please.
Luv S.xxx

I texted back. I'm safe, just need sum space 2 think. Miss U. I'm ashamed 4 what I said and did 2 Tom. I hope Stel is OK. I resigned my job, do I need to do same wiv bank? Luv U lots C.xxx

I finished my tea and felt the tears welling up, soon I was breaking my heart. I was so ashamed of my stupidity and reckless behaviour. How could I have threatened an old man? But I did. I wouldn't be surprised if the bank kicked me out as well, then I'd have to find a job to pay my bills. The money my mum left would tide me over, and I'd get some more from Daddy's estate, but I'd still need to work. After what I did, I didn't know how my reputation would be damaged, so academic work might be difficult - I mean, how many vacancies do you see in universities for transsexuals with homicidal tendencies and hot tempers?

Some of the emotion I was feeling was self pity, I recognised that, but some as also a deep sense of shame, for what I had done to someone I loved and who had professed to love me. Also, it could hardly be categorised as ladylike behaviour or language, my only plus had been absence of the F word. That surprised me a little.

My mobile peeped again. Where R U? I'm worried. Let me Know. S xxx

I replied, when I could see through my tears, Call me, I will talk. C xxx

My mobile began to ring. I switched it on an held it to my ear, "Hello?"

"Cathy, where the hell are you?"

"I'm safe."

"Tom and Stella told me what happened."

"I'm ashamed of what I said and did."

"Tom was a bit shaken up by the ferocity of your attack."

"Please tell him I'm sorry. I will write and apologise as soon as I feel able."

"What got into you?"

"I saw all my work destroyed."

"But it wasn't, it was all on hold once you were approved as fit to return."

"It didn't look that way to me. Anyway, I've resigned, I couldn't show my face there again."

"Tom asked what happened to all your dormouse data, you trashed your office?"

"I still have it on my laptop."

"He said you'll need it for your doctorate."

"Is he teasing me?"

"Ask him yourself..."

Before I could refuse, I heard Tom's voice, "Cathy, Cathy, are you there?" Big blobs of tears rolled down my face, dripping onto my tee shirt. "Cathy, please speak to me."

"I'm sorry, Tom," I blubbed down the phone.

"Are you all right, young lady?"

"No, I'm so ashamed," I sobbed.

"You certainly deserve to be. I'll have to accept your resignation, you realise that, although I think I'd prefer it if you retyped it."

"Okay," I sniffed.

"I've spoken with Bristol, they were very impressed with the way you helped them set up their part of the survey, and they have a colony of dormice in the Forest of Dean, which they'd like evaluating. It's only a temporary position, but it's better than nothing. You also have a commitment to Natural England for your supervison of the mammal survey, so you're going to need to get online for that. They'll pay you separately for that, and you have a film to finish with Des."

"How can you be so kind to me after I threatened you?"

"With some difficulty. I told you I had some problems with my daughter, you are so like her Cathy, peppery and impulsive. I still need you to fill that void, so do come back to us, or to me, won't you?"

"I think we need to think a bit and then talk, somewhere neutral."

"If that's what you want, that's fine with me."

"Please forgive me, I was hurt and wanted to hurt in return."

"I know that. If you had hurt Kiki or damaged my house, I might feel differently, the university is obviously less benevolent, the Dean wants your head, I'm afraid, and I have to give it. However, as you resigned before I could sack you, he's going to be disappointed." He gave a little chuckle as he said this.

"How can you be so kind to me, I threatened you, I could have harmed you?"

"But you didn't, you were angry, with some reason. I'm your adoptive father, parents have to deal with unhappy children. Sometimes it's hard and hurts, but we have to get on with it."

"I love you, Daddy-Tom," I said and broke down completely.

"I love you too, Daughter-Cathy." I think there were tears in his voice too. How could I have hurt such a lovely old man? I was a dreadful woman. I rang off, sobbing and bawling for an hour. Finally, I crawled off to bed and cried myself to sleep.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I can't comment for the tears in my eyes

well done Angharad!

I take it the Dean has always had it in for Cathy for I believe the idiot is homophobic and can't accept anyone that, in his eyes, is not normal.

Why was everyone being so evasive, all they had to say was, everything was put on hold and as soon as you feel up to it you can get on with the project. They should have said this all right off. I think everyone deserves a swift kick for leading Cathy on and for her to think something worse had happened. Even Tom could have said this before she had to find out from others.

People need to work on communication skills here.

Good job dear

Hugs
Joni W

Spike, Lookout!

Cathy said "I had Flora spread and some fresh mousetrap"
Fresh mousetraps? MOUSETRAPS!!! EEEP!

not unjustified

The fact is, Cathy was mislead and deceived by somebody who professes to care about her, and was aided and abetted by her fiance and sister in all but fact. She was over the top in her reaction, but given all that has happened to her it is understandable. I think a fair case can be made for PTSD. If this were the U.S., she could probably even sue for reinstatement and win. But I wouldn't go back if I were her, just extract a few gallons of university blood to tide me over for 20-30 years.

I have no idea what Flora Spread is, lettuce and something, who knows; but fresh mousetrap is obviously cheese. I think Spike prefers nuts, and Cathy obviously has enough of those around her.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Flora

Angharad's picture

is one of the new generation of margarines made from sunflower oil, used as a butter substitute; rather than the one who helped Bonnie Prince Charlie escape.

Mousetrap - is slang for Cheddar type cheese.

Angharad

Angharad

Flora and Mousetrap

Flora is a healthy margarine and mousetrap is indeed cheese—common or garden Cheddar-type cheese.

Powerful chapter, Ang.

Gabi.

If Flora is marge, does that mean that Flora MacDonald was also known as Marge MacDonald?

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Huh?

Butter is made from milk, milk is from nature so it's obviously better. This stuff is man-made, how can it be healthy? At least that's what all the greenos* are always saying. ;-)

KJT

(Rhymes with weirdos.)

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Butter

Butter is indeed natural, but it is made from CREAM rather than milk and is very high in saturated fat which helps to increase one's cholesterol and clog up your arteries, so many people use spreads made from vegetable oil which is high in UNsaturated fat which does not raise your cholesterol so much.

I must say I prefer butter—it tastes better, but then my cholesterol is low at 3, so I spread my toast etc with butter and I also use it for cooking.

Gabi

(Rhymes with flabby!) :p

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Yeah, I know

Was watching the news and the greenos were carrying on about all the man-made stuff in foods being bad, whilst natural products (being made by nature) are good. The equation seems to be man-made = bad, nature-made = good. I was amused then to read that this man-made spread was good while butter (which is made from churned cream, which comes from raw milk), was bad. Obviously the greenos are not automatically right all the time. Either that or cholesterol is an evil conspiracy conceived by evil big business to con people into using man-made products (bad) instead of nature's products (good). ;-)

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I once received

false info about margarine and actually had placed it here.But due to the modern convenience of the edit button I've been able to remove it.After googling margarine I found it to have a long (100 plus year) history and that it had been invented at Napoleons request in the 1800's.There is a long butter verses margarine rivalry and margarine was banned from being dyed yellow because of it for many years and still is in some countrys.I worked in a dairy when I was younger they pushed one and two percent milk (skim milk) instead of whole milk not because it is healthier for you but because they make more money.The lower the fat percentage milk they can get you to buy the more cream they can remove from it.Cream is dairy farmers gold as they make the majority of their profits from it.In New England the majority of cream goes to making Ice Cream like Ben and Jerry's (Vermont) plus to other New England ice cream makers.Angharads part:I'm glad you have Cathy realizing for her part she did mess up.Hopefully you won't have her fall into a bad depression because of it.As for Tom and the rest they helped make this bed so they should spend a little time laying in it as well.Amy---"May your pen never run out of ink and your brain out of ideas"

On hold until she was fit to return?

Or some such phrase Tom used?

If so, why remove and disperse the entire captive breeding colony? That hardly sounds like her duties/position were on hold until she was fit for duty. It sounds like her position was eliminated and Tom managed to salvage a small fraction of it, the oversight for the huge survey. But a large part of her own work was thrown away.

And I'll bet the Dean made little or no provision for tracking the newly released animals. He sounds like a vindictive power gathering clod. Mind you Cathy did go a tad ballistic but what she to think? Tom kept telling her nothing and not to come and then she sees all the animals and Spike gone.

The Dean sure didn't wait long to backstab her. For all I know the nutter who stabbed her is a relaive of his. You only have one chance to make a first impression and the Dean fu**ed up in his, not Cathy.

She should take this other job, work to syphon as many talented students and grad students, even lab tech and support people from her old uni to the new. Leave the old uni with an understaffed department with few if any promising students, gut it like they tried to gut her. It's hardball time. And sue the Dean for discrimination, that or rig a bomb to his car …

Oh what a giveaway!

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Why the huge mound of mail at her old house and why didn't the neighbors move in as she offered? Plus is there a huge stack of mail at her old appartement? Don't you have a mail forwarding thingy you can apply for at the post office in England like we do in the US for six months after you move?

John in Wauwatosa

Charming and Great Chapter

Angharad: One of your best chapters yet even if did draw the tears! Richard

Richard

Thank you.

That's a MUCH better point to have to stop reeding for a week... (Vacation spot - NO Internet, they say...).

Thanks. And I hope you are doing well!

Annette

"I had Flora spread and some fresh mousetrap."

I tried putting this in Babel Fish and asking for a translation from British to Canuck but it didn't understand the request.

Could you translate this into some form of international English, pretty please with sugar on it? :)

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Tom

Tom is the wrong one in this case, he could have told her in a neutral locations. I am having a few problems where this story is going. There has been a notable lack of respect for Cathy, this bothers me.

tears

That made Me sob and I still can't stop crying. I felt like My heart was being torn out.

Cathy needs to see the folks that took care of Stella

Only a cat person would contemplate cutting the throat of that dog. Wait a mo, I thought Cathy was an ardent defender of all animals, "great and small" ? Did >^^< or >**< write this ?
That would explain a lot.

Cefin