Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 363.

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Drawling, American Like.
by Angharad
part 363.

Any thoughts I had of cycling to work were immediately forgotten. I knew the latest victim, that made it seem worse. When it's impersonal or anonymous, it's easier to deal with; when it's someone you know, it feels much more personal and much more real-much closer to home.

"Want a lift in Agatha?"

"Erm, what happens if we have different finishing times?"

"You could always take a cab.."

"Or walk."

"NO!" he said loudly enough to make me jump. "You don't walk or cycle anywhere until that monster is caught."

"Aw come on, Tom, how am I supposed to keep fit if I can't get out on my bike?"

"I get the impression, this man is looking for someone in particular. All the riders have been fair haired or blonde, a bit like your colouring."

"So, I'll dye my hair."

"This isn't a joke."

"I know, remember, we're talking about one of my students."

"What if it's you, he's looking for?"

"Me? Why me? What have I done?"

"You don't need to have done anything, it's what he or she thinks you might have done that matters. John Lennon had done nothing to the bloke who shot him, except in the bloke's mind."

"I'm not John Lennon, why should I have a stalker?"

"You've been in the media more than your fair share, your face is all over High Street Banks, in their posters and leaflets. It's well known that you're making this dormouse film, and you're engaged to an aristocrat. You can hardly be described as a wall flower, can you?"

"Why should I? Why should I stand back in the background just because I'm female, or worse because I'm a transsexual woman? Is that fair?"

"No it isn't, and you know jolly well that I have encouraged you in some of your involvement with the media. I still support that opinion. You're a very pretty woman, Cathy, and I think you should use whatever gifts you have to further your cause and that of the environment."

"Isn't that a bit sexist?"

"So what? You'll get further in this world with a pretty face than an ugly one. I think you should use whatever the system encourages. You don't have to approve to use it, just be careful it doesn't use you."

"Des is coming down next week to do some filming, maybe if I invite him to bring his bike we could get the odd ride in?"

"If Des or Simon is with you, that's fine by me. His MO so far appears to be attacks on single women. These guys are usually cowards, so being with someone or part of a group, makes it much less likely. So please wait until you are out with someone, don't walk or cycle by yourself, please promise me."

"Okay, I promise I won't ride on my own until this arsehole is caught." I reluctantly said what he wanted me to, which I suppose was a small sacrifice to keep him happy. Simon would be home at the weekend, so would Stella, so maybe we'd get a ride. I suppose I could always buy a turbo and put some of those special tyres on one of the bikes. Then I could do some riding at home, I know it's not the same, but it beats getting attacked.

I resolved to order one from Wiggle or whatever they call it, which is based in Portsmouth, I think. Get it delivered to the uni and I can either bring it home in my car or get Tom to do so. Yes, that's what I'd do.

I took up Tom's offer, only we went in my car, so he could walk home or get a cab. Car sharing meant we were doing a little for the environment and as much as if I'd gone by bike. That made it easier.

I had three lessons to teach and each one was dominated by enquiries about my injured student and the girls saying they were going around in pairs. Several had stopped riding and caught the bus instead. That annoyed me, not that they were using the bus but that someone like that could cause them to stop riding. Even some of the male students were walking or busing it instead of riding. There was quite a sense of trepidation about the place which wasn't usually the case.

Of course some of the men were also talking about what they'd do if they caught him, why do we all assume it's a him? But as he seems able to disappear into thin air, I doubt they would catch him. How does he do that? Strike and disappear?

It was the end of another day, one closer to the weekend and the return of my hero and his sister, two of the nicest people on the planet. I was really looking forward to it, and now that Stella was riding, she could come with us as well. It doesn't get much better than that, just a couple more days to wait, thank goodness.
I'd ordered the turbo trainer and a pair of tyres for it and was about to leave when Neal called me back, there was something wrong with Spike. That was all I needed. I went to see what was happening and she was certainly not well. She was hotter than her usual temperature and I wondered if she had and infection, though how she'd get it goodness only knows. The babies seemed okay, which was a blessing. I called the vet, he agreed it was possibly an infection and told me give her a minute dose of antibiotics, we keep some here all the time.

Seeing as she was with her babies, she was isolated anyway, except from her young. I drew up the syringe and Neal grabbed her. I stood in front of him while he held her, rather gingerly.

"Look, I'll hold her and you do it," I said to him.

"No way, if she died you'd never forgive me."

"Don't be silly, she's going to get better." I tried to sound optimistic in case she picked up on the tone of our conversation. Who was I trying to kid, she's a ruddy dormouse not a dog or cat.

"Ouch!" he said loudly as I injected the antibiotic into Spike and she objected by biting him again. I saw the blood on his finger a moment before the stupid animal made a bid for freedom as far as the neck of my blouse. You got it, once more she jumped down my front. I simply stood there with a sense of not knowing while this furry thing scampered around inside my clothing and Neal swore and sucked his finger.

Suddenly there was burst of raucous laughter, Tom was standing in the doorway. "Not again," he said laughing, "maybe she wants to be breast fed."

"Maybe she needs her neck wringing?" I said, handing the syringe to Neal while I tried to grab the furry interloper.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Agatha?

Who's zat?

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Agatha

I THINK (I know thats dangerous for me to do) thats the name of the rover.

Different interperatation

I read it as "Want a lift in (to the university), Agatha?", rather than "Want a lift IN Agatha?".

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Hope Spike is ok

would be sad to see her favorite dormouse leave the story. Can't Cathy ride a little ahead of Simon AND Des and see about catching that creap? Of course with the way things are going, they'd get distracted by something and she'd get attacked.

Yeah, but . . .

Could be a bit hard on Cathy, being the bait. How many minnows do you bring HOME from a fishing trip, even if you don't catch anything?

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Yeah

Wouldn't be nice for Cathy to be the minnow.

Here's A Scary Thought

What if the Biker Basher has infected Spike with something? If so, THAT limits the possible cads.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It's sad how terrorism can...

... cause people to modify their practices. One person can easily make many others change their habbits through random (or semi-random) events.

Sad to hear spike's not feeling her best... Hope she's better soon. :-)

Annette

Security Guard

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the security guard as a suspect. He has already established his bona fides in the crazy dept.

Betcha it is he.

Stealthy attacker

It's warm, dark, and soft. Many men would appreciate the need to rest their head there.
In most cases, when a theft occurs, the security people are the first to be investigated. Hummm. A security guard could quickly disappear, and just as fast reappear, to aid the girl attacked.
My mind only works this way because of too much Television as a lad.

Cefin