Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 268

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Bathing Bonzi!
by: Ang(shredded)harad.
part 268.

Simon continued to grumble even in his sleep. He also broke wind fairly regularly. I almost felt like sleeping with my head out of the window, but that wasn't practical, but the next time I saw a gas mask in a junk shop, I thought I might buy it. In that night alone, I suspect he doubled the amount of methane in the atmosphere and I did wonder if we were at risk from explosion.

Somehow, when I finally awoke the next morning, it was to the phone ringing and banging on the front door, plus Kiki barking. The door was the engineer, the phone was Tom ringing to see if I was up and the barking was next door's cat throwing it's voice. Okay, I lied but you were thinking about it weren't you?

I made the man a cuppa and more importantly, one for myself. I felt like I hadn't slept for a week. But after a cuppa, it felt like it was only six nights. The Aga man seemed to know what he was doing, so I more or less left him to it. As he didn't need to turn off the water or anything, I went and showered and got myself dressed.

I called the hospital to see what was what with Stella. They would probably discharge her after lunch, she had to see the consultant who was in theatre this morning. I nearly asked what play he was watching, but decided not to. Not everyone shares my sideways take on life, except maybe, Tom, Simon, Stella and half my university class.

I made some more tea and after giving some to the engineer chap, who now had Tom's pride and joy in bits all over the kitchen, I went off and did some housework - I do occasionally. After a quick flit with the vacuum cleaner, called Dyson, I readjusted my ears, God it's noisy but sucks the tiles off the floor let alone the dirt, and there's carpet between the tiles and Dyson, I did the ironing.

It was mainly Simon's shirts, he does like to look bankerly, if there is such a word, it means clean and tidy and boring. Most of his ties are plain or with stripes. I did buy him one with a rather rakish spot pattern. I even got him one in a tartan, but he never wears them to work.

At times I think Simon is more conservative than his namesake, who thinks he runs the Tory party, the one who rides through red lights and other cycling offences. By comparison, Dave the Chamaeleon, as the Guardian calls him, is positively radical.

Tom does most of his own ironing, which is practically nil, he hangs things up and any wrinkles left, he wears. Much of the time, if they are still damp when he hangs them, it works well. Stella does her own, some of the time, usually when her slave is too busy. As for my clothes, I do the other's stuff first and whatever time is left over, I do my own. At uni, I wear whatever falls out of the wardrobe that will go with jeans. Or I used to, now the jeans make me sore, so I'm wearing skirts more than I used to. Seeing what I went through to be able to wear them, I suppose I should be glad I have the choice.

I checked my emails and then made myself some lunch, the breadmaker had pinged to say it was ready and the Aga man succumbed to the smell of fresh bread and some Brie, with cherry tomatoes and pickled beetroot. I should have dilated, but not with a stranger in the house, tonight would do. It would have to, I think Tom had a mallet if I needed it.

After lunch, I asked the Aga man, whose name was Ken, how long he thought he would be. He told me two hours, so I went to get Stella.

She seemed back to her old self, she nagged and joked all the way back to Tom's. I took her in and introduced her to Ken who was putting the Aga back together and about to try a test firing - I thought they did that with missiles - was this going to be the first Aga in space?

Taking Stella's bag up to her room the silly thought entered my silly brain, Aga Ken, the Aga Ken. I sniggered to myself, he'd probably heard it before.

I started preparing the veg for dinner while Stella went up for a snooze, she had kept the engineer amused while I sorted out her washing.

"So are you the professor's daughter?"

"Sort of," I said and his eyebrows raised. "I'm a colleague of his but our house was damaged and we've stayed with Tom while it's being renovated. He took me under his wing a couple of years ago and has been like an extra father, so I respect him like one. He's a lovely man."

"Oh the post came while you were out."

"Oh thanks, I ordered a book from Amazon, so that's probably what it was."

"No, they always have Amazon written all over them, it's something else. Are you Lady Catherine?"

"Sort of."

"What for real?"

"Sort of."

"Eh?"

"I am engaged to Simon who is Lord Cameron, Stella is Lady Stella Cameron. When I marry him, I become Lady Catherine. Some people have jumped the gun and call me it already. I don't correct them because it only confuses the issue, as I will eventually bear the title."

"Ah, I see. I've seen you somewhere before haven't I?"

Here we go, the dormouse juggling was about to get a mention. I busied myself with peeling cabbage and shredding potatoes. I kept my back to him not to assist in his recollection.

"I've got it. My bank."

"Your bank? I didn't know you owned a bank."

"No, it's you on the poster for the environmental stuff the bank does, you're holding a dormouse. It is you, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it's me I advise the bank on matters biological."

"Oh good, my wife always admires your suit."

"Oh the YSL one."

"The what?" He looked up from screwing some nut and bolt together.

"Yves Saint Laurent, French dress designer."

"No wonder she likes it then, she hoped it might have been from Next or Topshop."

"Fraid not, but I do have some Laura Ashley stuff, you can get that on the high street."

"Not on my pay."

"Oh, I see. She doesn't work then?"

"She does when I get home, we have two kids, so she goes off shelf stacking in Tesco when I get home."

"Still every little helps," I said suddenly realising that it was a Tesco jingle. Advertising was obviously better than I thought, especially as I watched so little telly.

"Yeah, I suppose it does." He fired up the Aga and it worked. He checked out the ovens and they seemed to be working. "There you go, get the professor to call if there's a problem, it's all guaranteed."

I thanked him and gave him a bottle of wine to take with him. As he left he asked, "That wasn't you in the clip with the dormouse was it? Going down the front...."

"That suit, yes. Do you realise if I got the Nobel Prize, they'd still go on about the dormouse clip?"

"I think they said it had received over two million hits, the clip I mean."

"If I'd been a bloke, it wouldn't have been quite as funny, would it?"

"Nah, unless it went up or down your trousers."

"Yeah, I suppose."

I went back in and busied myself with cooking the dinner, now Stella was home, she was going to get as fat as I was, I'd make sure of that.

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The original

Another nice chapter from the original and still the best authoress of Cathy stories. Accept no substitutes!

Stella - fat? Cathy - also fat? Say it ain't so, sis! I know this bulimia for beginners website . . . ;-) Tom and Simon - fat? Yeah, now that I believe.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Cathy should have asked…

…Aga Ken if he owned any racehorses! :-D

Splendid chapter—yet again.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Another fine chapter

You really COOK with this series :).

This series is going to be legendary in TG story writing ... or any other for that matter for its endurance and quality.

Kim

AGA, etc.

Auntie,

All of your writing about AGA forced this Yank to use Google. Now, there is a glimmer of understanding.

I share the other comenters sentiments in lauding your continued excellent efforts.

G/R

Cathy Using A Mallet? Come On Angharad, That Will Hurt

But then again, that was probably Cathy's [or your] sense of humor shining through. Now that Stella is home, it will be time to see just what Cathy needs to do to help Stella. But now I wonder about Cathy's Dad and that Russian woman that Cathy and Stella helped.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cat bathing

I tried that with my cat Bill once. I wore nice thick rubber utility gloves for protection and everything. I got him in the water and quickly learned thick rubber utility gloves are no protection against an irate feline. Well, maybe a little; I suspect if I hadn't worn them I'd have had to get stitches, or maybe a transfusion. As it was I wound up bleeding profusely from a matching set of long parallel lacerations running down the inside of each wrist. The gloves didn't fare as well.

I never tried that again. He bathed himself from then on, thank you.

You have my sympathies, as does Bonzi.

Another fine chapter in any case. Is that true about the Dyson? I read somewhere once that contrary to the marketing hype they sucked (or didn't suck, might be a more apt description). Maybe it was written by a Hoover rep with a case of sour grapes though.

Cat Bathing,

can be done. Use a large mesh bag with a draw string opening. However, the real trick is getting the cat into the bag leaving only the head sticking out of the opening...

On the other hand, we have one cat who is (mostly) a Maine Coon breed. They like water. She isn't very enthusiastic about baths but accepts them. (and she loves being snuggled up in a warm towel and blanket afterward...)

Janice

I think it was Will Rogers who said...

"Lettin' the cat outta the bag is easy. It's gettin' it back in that's hard."

I might have been able to get away with doing that to Bill once.

He wasn't a Maine Coon, just an orange tabby American Shorthair like his comic strip namesake, but he was sixteen pounds of solid muscle. Two different veterinarians remarked on how strong he was as they struggled to give him his shots. He once stared down a charging German shepherd. He rarely got in fights because most other cats had enough sense to just get out of his way. You did not mess with Bill.

He passed away a little over two years ago, at the age of seventeen, after a year long battle with insulin dependent diabetes. After a while he seemed to realize the insulin helped, tolerated being stuck in the paw for a blood glucose test, and actually purred when I gave him his twice-daily injections. Sigh. I sure do miss him waking me up to feed him by climbing on my bed and purring in my ear, and if that didn't work, sitting on my chest; and if that didn't do it, biting my nose....

The Aga Ken?

Now that's stretching it, but the next doors cat throwing its voice . . . that was funny.

Strangely I can see a cat doing that and then walking off with its tail in the air as if nothing happened. That's what ours does - minus the voice-throwing bit of course.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Um Nick, not that you aren't a a knockout ant all ...

But I think you over did the hormones and surgury abit.

You look like Jessica Rabbit.

We had a cat on insulin for two years befor he had to be put down, NEVER even scratched us because of that and rarely other wise unless you played too rough. We we had to put him down I and my mom cried more for him than for my wonderful grandfather when he passed less than a year later. That is the cat we put down, not Grampa.

Our last several cats will let us trim their claws which helps alot on the scratches and we turn them turtle to do it. They sometimes squirm a little and pertend they are porcupines but don't try to hurt us.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Claws beyond the Grave.

John,

Whilst I acknowledge that it might be very different in Wauwatosa, in general cats generally do not scratch after death. Whatever the justification, however roughly they are treated, the flesh is, alas, no longer willing.

The same behaviour, or more precisely lack of it, can be observed in dead grandfathers who also have the reputation of relapsing into complete passivity on their shedding of the mortal coil, whether or not they are satisfied with the mourning that marked their demise. Turtles and porcupines are not indigenous to my part of the world and thus I cannot pronounce on their habits post mortem with anything approaching the same authority. However my experiences with the European hedgehog, which is to all outward appearance a variant, albeit on a more modest scale, of the porcupine would suggest that they too will conform to this general behaviour pattern.

I think Nick looks rather sweet. The only caveat I have is that his figure hints at a possible problem of imbalance. I am sure his friends will want to advise him to avoid like the plague any exercise more violent that the gentile sipping of cocktails. Whether he will prove to be equally free of any violent anti-social tendencies when he has passed over to the other side is a question which hopefully will not trouble us for many a long year to come.

Of course, as in Wauwatosa, it may well be different in France. Autres pays, autres moeurs, as someone, presumably French, once nearly said.

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

My exercise regimine

I am trying as always to maintain my figure and sipping cocktails sounds to me like a wonderful way of partaking of a little recreational exercise.

I don't know why, maybe it's being as tall as I am, but I have come to realise that people in extremely close proximity have a tendency to go deaf.

This has nothing to do with observations of a post mortem nature as In Fleurie's comment, although I have also noticed a general stiffness in others who are in my company. Whilst that stiffness may not always be such a good thing, depending upon the sex of the person concerned, I am sure that it has nothing to do with rigor mortice--despite the unblinking stares and drooling that some have exhibited.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Good tale

I got curious about the Aga cooker, and Googled it.

1200+pounds? That make my monster 10 burner, two oven Garland seem like a lightweight.

I've been learning all sorts of stuff about the varience between British & US English along the way, while being thoroughly entertained, too.

Yah,

Me two. Mine is even simpler. Just like me.

Cathy's Descriptions

Simon continued to grumble even in his sleep. He also broke wind fairly regularly. I almost felt like sleeping with my head out of the window, but that wasn't practical, but the next time I saw a gas mask in a junk shop, I thought I might buy it. In that night alone, I suspect he doubled the amount of methane in the atmosphere and I did wonder if we were at risk from explosion.

You have great comedic potential. That quote had me in stitches and tears.

" If I had a hammer, a hammer in the Morning"

Some of the visuals you present......Tom must have a mallet. Jeeze.
I've heard of Agra, but just what are they, the two level kerosene (paraffin) fired stove?

Cefin

The humour is right up my

The humour is right up my alley. I missed it, did you have a substitute or deputy over the last week or so? It 'felt' different.
But we are back on form!

Claire Stafford