Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 341

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Calling Me A Tyke.
by: >^^< & 8)
part:341

"Nice bike," said the young man who stood by the entrance to the department.

"Yeah, it goes well," I said and went to wheel the bike inside.

"Are you Dr Watts?"

"I'm Cathy Watts, can I help?"

"I got word that you were asking about the cycling club, is that right?"

"Yes, I was asking about it. You must be Geoff?"

"Yeah, sorry. Geoff Bannister, president of the cycling club," he held out his hand which was much larger than my own and I shook it. "So, do you fancy riding with us?"

"I might do, look I have a lesson in a few minutes and I have to change, can we talk about it later?" I was running late.

"Yeah, course we can," he handed me a piece of paper with his email and mobile number. "Give me a shout, next ride is Saturday morning."

"Thanks, I'll be in touch. This is road stuff?"

"Oh yeah, the off-roaders meet on a Friday evening. Nice bike," he said again and left.

I scurried through to my room and grabbed the bag from the cupboard, breaking a nail as I did so. The blessed things had been rather more brittle since I'd started taking the oestrogen, and I was always breaking them. This one hurt a bit and I sucked my finger as I walked to the toilets.

I changed, trying not to catch my nail again. I cursed my sports bra, which had rolled and I had difficulty grabbing hold of it with my sore finger. It meant I was late for my first class, arriving hot and bothered and completely flustered.

"You're late," called a voice from the back.

"She was wrestling a dormouse - and lost by the look of it!" answered another voice. The whole place erupted with laughter and it took me a few minutes to take control back.

"Thank you ladies and gentlemen, my apologies for keeping you waiting. Could I please ask the comedians not to practice their stand up routines here, nor their sit down ones either. The Student's Union has a comedy club on a Saturday night, perhaps they should try their luck there. Now, I'd like to run through the citric acid cycle..."

"Does it have Mavic wheels?" called the first comedian.

"Can we please concentrate on the matter in hand..." as soon as I said it, I knew I'd given them a chance to cause more disruption. "Although I suppose that's as close as you get to a meaningful relationship!" The class roared again, especially the girls, one or two of who shrieked with laughter.

"At least I've got something to grab hold of," came the reply.

"just as well you have small hands then, now about the citric acid cycle..."

"I hear you had some rowdies in your class this morning?" Tom was standing behind me as I gulped down a cup of tea.

"It was okay, I gave as good as I got."

"Don't let them get too irritating, if you need help, let me know. One mention of your situation and we remind them of the diversity and equality legislation, with rubber truncheons."

"Like I said, I gave as good as I got. Those who want to play rough will find that I'm a lot tougher than they think."

"I know that, Cathy, but I don't want bodies all over the place."

"We could sell them to the anatomy school, live specimens would have to be a novelty."

"What a lovely idea, vivsection," he went off sniggering to himself, obviously thinking of one or two students he'd recommend for such a programme.

After lunch I had an hour's hiatus and emailed Geoff Bannister.
'Hi Geoff,
Can you send me details of your rides and subscription charges etc.
Cathy Watts,
Dept Zoological Science.'

Before I left for my tutorials, he'd replied.
'Hi Cathy,
Saturday, Petersfield. 9.30am start from the University Sports club.
Geoff.'

I suppose the return ride would be getting on for thirty five or forty miles, so within my range. What I wasn't sure about was the fitness of my fellow riders and their likely performance times. If Simon came home we could go together. Hmm, it felt like a nice idea and the forecast was of a fine weekend. I'd text Simon and see if he was interested.

He sent me back a text, 'Comin home fri nite, U'll B 2 saw 2 ride! Si.'

Sometimes he made me smile, sometimes he made me laugh. This caused the latter to happen. He really does fancy himself. Oh well just one more comedian to deal with, I was sure I'd cope.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Club runs ...

... in my experience rarely take the shortest route so Cathy's estimate may be wildly out. My days of going out with the fast(ish) lads is long past ... it's the Autumn Tints for me these days LOL.

This seems like a transition chapter but I wonder if the unruly element in her class might have sinister undertones for the future. She's had trouble before after all.

Geoff

Cycling back

Today's and yesterday's episodes reminded me of the very beginning of EAFOAB. Since then, cycling really took a backseat as the story progressed, and here it is, back and feeling very familiar.

Pretty calm chapter

So what's Angharad and Bonzi got planned to shake us up next? Liked the text exchange with Simon.

Ah Yes,Cathy And Cycling

Is returning. It will be fun seeing her cycle more. Tom is right about Cathy, I wonder if she will meet another student in need? May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Every one a comedian...

You know, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum...

I just hope this doesn't go "Tragedy Tomorrow, Comedy Tonight".

I'm surprised at the lack of respect for a lecturer. I don't think I ever saw that, or have heard of that from those I know in the field.

Still and all, the bodies available to the Anatomy deparmtent as a result of Cathy not taking prisoners.. :-)

Be interesting to see what happens on the weekend.

Annette

Great put down:-)

Loved the lecture scene, just catching up on the last few episodes and stunned as always by the continuous high quality of this series.

Loved the pic for the previous chapter :-)

Cofleidiau

Alys

341--Mavic wheels

My, aren't we getting technical?

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad...

Fingernails

I have bit my nails pretty much all my life. It is a nervous habit. For a little while I've broke it (again). When I have a relapse I've managed to keep it down to a simple trim, instead of to the quick.

The reason I mention this is Cathy mentioned her estrogen making her finder nails thinner, is this common? I'm not too surprised though, I do miss my hair.

oestrogen and nails

Angharad's picture

It doesn't make them thinner, just inclines them to peel off in layers or break, especially with newish users. Still, if that's the worst thing that happens...

Angharad

Club ride

Wow, things are much more casual in the UK, If I gave my instructor a hard time, whoop, Deans office with my hat in my hand.
Of course, they were trying to teach real stuff to me, you know, Engineering. Half of the instruction was no fun, or humor.
Those kids were playing with fire, tugging on Superwoman's cape.

Cefin