Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 203

Printer-friendly version

I had barely sent it when it rang. It was Simon, hardly a surprise.

"Hello Babe,"

"I didn't think I was your babe anymore."

"Oh," I could hear the pain in his voice. "Oh okay, can I take you out to dinner tonight?"

"That's very short notice," I wasn't feeling helpful.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad (who actually fell off a bike today!)
part 203.

I had some tutorials to do and I also thought it wise to see Dr Thomas before I went for surgery. I wasn't in any way unsure about things, but quite a bit had happened since my last appointment.

"What shall I tell Simon if he calls?" asked Stella who was still home from work.

"That he's still your favourite brother."

"What! he's my only bro...."

"Gotta go Stella, or my landlord will report me to my boss."

"Eh!"

While she was still puzzling things out I left for work. After my previous experience with the bike and the nasty people in their 4x4, I decided to take the car.

Sat in slow moving traffic, I began to wish I'd cycled, especially when I saw several cyclists making faster progress than I was. I just made it before nine, however, Pippa was there first!

"Hi Pip."

"Do we know you madam?"

"It's me Pippa, Cathy, queen of the dormice."

"Gosh so it is, I thought you'd retired."

"No such luck."

"How is Simon?"

"Dunno, haven't seen him for a few days."

"Oh, that doesn't sound good, the way you said it."

"It isn't good," I waved my ringless finger.

"Have you lost it?"

I shook my head 'no'.

"Oh dear, want to talk about it?"

"Not really."

"Oh, okay," said her lips, but her eyes said, 'be like that then', so I was.

I went down to the labs and fed the dormice, those that weren't hibernating. In some of the cages, we keep the same temperature as is happening outside. Those critters usually hibernate, except it was mild so they weren't. In real life, they may have found it difficult to forage for enough food. Plus waking up and then going off again uses a lot of their fat stores, so it's not a good thing for them to do.

When I had more time, I wanted to see what would happen if we kept the cages cooler, or some of them. I'd have to check with my field workers and see what the wild ones were doing.

It felt good to be back working, well to be thinking about work. However, I called Dr Thomas and made an appointment for the following day, apparently she had a cancellation. What I didn't know was that she also had a list of vulnerable patients and I was on it. This meant as soon as my name was typed in to the computer, a note flashed to tell the reception staff to make an appointment fast. It was because I'd dabbled with suicide once before, even though I didn't think I was a current risk.

A short time later I was seeing Judy 'Harry' Potter and looking at her recent assignments. They were improving and so was her grasp of biological principles. She thanked me for my input, which was very small but it seemed to give her confidence. She also told me that her father, the solicitor, sent warm regards and a bottle of Cabernet, as it was the Christmas break.

Next were the group and we had the usual fun. By the time I actually get control over them, it's time for them to go. However, they were all up to scratch so I wasn't worried.

I knew that I would be off for between six and twelve weeks but I didn't want to warn them as it may put them off attending tutorials. Besides, I hoped I might be able to come in while on sick leave and take my students. After all, I didn't do much moving around and Tom could bring me in, or with my salary from the bank, I could afford the odd cab. I certainly wouldn't be cycling for a few days.

The department shut down for two weeks from that evening, so I checked the roster for feeding and cleaning the dormice. I'd agreed to do Christmas and Boxing day, but after that I wasn't available. It was a very poorly kept secret, they all knew where I was going, so I stopped pretending.

I was sat in my little office in the labs, when my mobile beeped for a text. I checked it.

'Cn we strt agin. Need 2 tlk 2 U. Si'

'Dunno. will talk, say when & where. C'

I had barely sent it when it rang. It was Simon, hardly a surprise.

"Hello Babe,"

"I didn't think I was your babe anymore."

"Oh," I could hear the pain in his voice. "Oh okay, can I take you out to dinner tonight?"

"That's very short notice," I wasn't feeling helpful.

"Oh, yeah I suppose it is. What about another night?"

"I could do tonight, I suppose. No where too fancy, is it a gay bar?"

"What?"

"Well somewhere for you to take a girlyboy?"

"Cathy, I'm sorry about the other morning. I never think of you as anything but a beautiful woman."

"Except the other morning."

"I don't know why I reacted like I did."

"Neither do I, I did warn you about it, or try to."

"I don't think I took on board what that meant."

"Obviously."

"I am sorry."

"So you said."

"Where would you like to go?"

"As I shall be paying for my own meal, somewhere inexpensive."

"No the dinner's on me."

"It will be if you don't listen, quite literally. I said I would buy my own."

"Okay, whatever you say."

He gave me the name of a pub and how to get to it. I knew roughly where it was. Not too far from Tom's, so I'd get a cab, not so I could drink, but in case I was upset. I honestly didn't know what the outcome would be. Either way, our relationship had changed quite fundamentally.

As soon as I ended the call with Simon, Stella called.

"Simon called looking for you?"

"What in person or by phone?"

"Phone."

"Yes he called me."

"I wondered if he did, you were engaged."

"Yes but I gave him his ring back."

"Duh! I meant your phone was engaged."

"Oh did you?" I wound her up, it was payback time all around.

"Cathy, you are a bitch!"

"You noticed."

"So what did he want?"

"To meet."

"And?"

"I agreed."

"Is that wise?"

"I think so. I'd like closure on this one way or another. I have enough on my plate."

"Yes I suppose you do. I've bookmarked the passage in the bible for you."

"Thank you."

"When does the department close?"

"Now, they're all going for lunch but I'm coming home and doing some shopping."

"Oh, can I come with you?"

That wasn't what I wanted her to say, but I could hardly refuse. I thought if I dashed to the antique shop on the way home, I could get the mirror. Then I had to secrete it in the garage. It was all a bit of a nuisance but I wanted to get it for her.

The roads were in chaos as the Christmas spending frenzy began to rachet up to reach a climax over the next weekend.

I needed to get my gift shopping done so I could nip up to Bristol and see Daddy. I also had to talk with the others and start to organise food. I felt more like cancelling than celebrating Christmas.

I began to think life was looking up, I found a parking space outside the shop. Then discovered it was closed for lunch. I went off in search of a sandwich and found a small cafe, which was busy but not heaving.

I ordered a tuna sandwich and some tea. It took half an hour and I was glad I'd picked up a copy of New Scientist from the newsagent next door. The only problem was I couldn't concentrate on reading it, my mind was on this evening. By the time my food arrived, I'd decided what I was going to wear and changed my mind about a dozen times.

One moment I was going to go as smart as possible, next I was going to down play it. Then I was going to go for middle smart, then down play. In the end, I decided I'd wear what felt comfortable for me after I'd got home and showered.

I ate my sandwich and looked at my fellow diners. I couldn't believe it, the bloke from the article in the paper was sat on a table opposite. I'm sure it was him.

"Hey Ken, saw you in the paper. Didn't know you were one of them gender benders."

"I ain't. It's part of a campaign to show how them twats is wasting tax-payer's money. Let 'em have their nuts off if they want, but they can pay for it themselves. I ain't paying for it."

"Nah, me neever."

Damn me, it was him and Stella was right for the wrong reason. At this moment I felt like giving him a bilateral orchidectomy and vaginoplasty on the table at which he was seated. Sadly my cutlery wasn't sharp enough.

I called over the waitress and ordered a double portion of trifle. I paid for my meal and gave her generous tip. Ken and his friend were still chatting about people like me, mostly in a derogatory fashion.

I walked up to him and said, "Excuse me, Mr Young."

"Yes darlin'."

"I saw your picture in the paper."

"Oh yeah," he winked, "I'm prettier in the flesh inni?"

"Not really, I think you're pretty ugly full stop. I have a message from the dormouse queen." I tipped the dish of trifle over his head. "And this is from Lady Muck," I poured his glass of water over the rest of him. "Good day to you."

While he was still shocked I quickly left and thankfully found the antique shop was now open.

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ace

Nice to see Cathy is getting a bit more control over her life, and that ending was hilarious!

Brilliant

This episode raised a genuine chuckle from this sour old bugger- well a bit more than a chuckle, perhaps. Nice little twist. Well done Angharad.

Geoff

Long way 'round

For the twit to make his point. Especially as it was right there on top of his head.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Serves the Bugger Right

Oh dear, how sad, poor Mr Young, what a pity. Good for Cathy, although I think she should have arranged the the trifle a trifle more artistically and taken a photo for the paper. Now that would be real revenge.

Gabi

But, Ang, you've still left us clinging to the cliff by our fingernails over the Simon Situation.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

you can't please some people!

Angharad's picture

Of course I did, that will be an episode on it's own I expect. Will have to talk with Bonzi.

hugs

Angharad

Angharad

Better Idea!

Maybe Cathy & Stella could arrainge for an ambulance and two big, burly attendants to go 'round and pick this clown up. "We've got it all arraigned, Lady Cathy set it up personally. You're to get your surgery right away. Come, come, the doctor's waiting for you."

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Arranged SRS For Ken/Kendra

That would be totally hilarious, I would love to be a fly on the wall to see his expression at that point. What would make it even sillier would be if the attendants had legal permission to restrain him to ensure he arrived there for the procedure.

"We've got it all arraigned" should be arranged, arraigned refers to being brought into court to resolve a legal issue.

Angharad, Lady Muck Strikes Back

I was glad to see that Simon finally showed up again. Whether or not he marries Cathy is still up in the air. But her handling of that PERSON was just what the doctor ordered. I am sure that Stella wishes that she was there to add insult to injury.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Loved the ending to this

Loved the ending to this chapter. Too bad the rest of the restaurant didn't give her a standing ovation as it is apparent this man is a solid twit. Oh well, she did get some satisfaction back. Now all she has to do is deal with Simon and I hope he will be groveling on his knees to get her back. MEN!! J-Lynn

Fixing The Twit

She could have thrown a total wrench into his little scheme by openly declaring to the whole restaurant that he's a lying, scheming idiot who is trying to take away the chance for actual transsexuals to get proper and appropriate treatment, i.e, therapy and SRS.

Fall off a bike.

I noticed in the author line that you actually did fall off a bike today. I hope it was a simple accident and nothing nefarious about it. And I hope you and the bike are okay.(You, more than the bike)

Love this story

Thank you I have enjoyed this story from the very beginning and have loyally followed this since I joined BC. Excellent characters and plot. Keep it going. My daily soap. :)

Prairie_girl_64(Mellissa)

Mostly well done

Another great chapter but I agree with Karen J.Mr young should have been scheduled to become Miss Young.Possibly thru someones charitable donation.Maybe a nice media covered offer it seems trifle to waste a trifle.I look forward to reading how things turn out between Cathy and Simon. Amy

My Daily Soap, Too

This is getting to be a very pleasant habit: checking for the latest installment of this story.

Please, please, do tell us more!

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Awsome

You cunning devil you. Get us all worked up over the maltreatment of some poor TG and then release that it was all a big con. Priceless.

A damned waste of trifle though. I like trifle.

I'd loved to have been there, just to see the ignoramus get it over the head.

This just gets better and better!

NB

Don't you think…

…that Cathy was being a TRIFLE excessive?

Hilary

Funny

That really was funny. He never saw it coming. He did see her leaving though.

Trifle

I had to look up trifle- didn't know what it was! I'm from the south in the US, so I guess we have something similar called "Jello Salad" (imaginative name, huh?), which seems to be the same except for all the layers. Kind of a "fruit emulsion" type of thing.
I love the transition from the shy, timid Charlie to the outgoing, caring, brave, and (sometimes) downright silly Cathy. Charlie would NEVER have caused a scene like that, I don't think.


Kung Fu Cat 2 (Closeup).jpg

"Rocking around the Christmas tree..."

Wish I was there for that. What a anal pore.
Simon's reaction was due to the larger size of Cathy's embarrassment in comparison to his. Enough for any guy to flee the room
Why didn't Cathy wear a gaff ? It would ruin that chapter I suppose.

Cefin
.