Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 285

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike
by Angharad
part 285.

Simon went off to work and I felt glad that he was going to do what he could to help. I knew his family had loads of influence, but they'd have to play it a bit carefully or be accused of trying to influence an independent organisation.

I got up and made some breakfast for myself. I was tempted to do some bacon and eggs for Tom, but he was getting rather rotund recently, so it wouldn't really be in his interest to continue over eating and with the recent stuff about bacon and bowel cancer, well! It looks as if everything we eat drink, breathe or otherwise absorb can do us harm. Life seems to be that little bit we experience between being poisoned by our breakfasts or dinners.

I finished my cereal, and made some tea. Tom came down about half an hour later to the smell of coffee. He smiled at that and poured himself a mug of the black fluid. "Hmm!" he said, "Like used diesel oil, just how I like it." I smiled and sipped my tea.

"So what are you up to today?" he asked.

"Nothing in particular, anything you need me to do?"

"Are you going to see Stella?"

"Probably this afternoon, fancy coming?"

"I'd love to hen, but I have yet another meeting."

"Don't agree to anything about your future that isn't rosy."

"Cathy, I'm a zoologist not a plant picker."

I poked my tongue out at him before remembering there were probably bits of oatmeal on it. He groaned in protest. I blushed.

"What about Stella?" I asked hoping he'd remember why he asked me.

"Stella? I thought you said you were going to see her?"

"I am, why was it important for you to know?"

"It wasn't particularly, I was simply asking."

"Oh, it didn't sound like that."

"Didn't it? What did it sound like then?"

"As if you wanted me to do something regarding it."

"Well I suppose you could take her some flowers or choccies."

"I took her flowers yesterday, I could get some chocolate."

He fished out his wallet and handed me a tenner, "Get some nice ones for her."

"Okay, I might nip into town then." I hadn't been for a week or two and there would be sales still running. I should be saving not looking for clothes and I must not, repeat not, enter any shoe shops!

We chatted until he decided to leave for work, I went up bathed, tried my smaller dildo thingy and made a half hearted attempt to dilate. It didn't bleed this time but it still hurt. I hoped it would get easier, but I wasn't sure.

After drying myself, I made up a sort of plug for it, wrapping a tampax in an iodine tulle dressing, I managed to insert it. I hoped it would help to minimise infection, and hold me open a little. I could see how relatively small the cotton tampon was compared to the dilator, but it was still uncomfortable. I hoped it would be relatively easy to remove, with the grease from the iodine lubricating things. It itched rather than hurt and before I left to go shopping I had to remove it. Back to the drawing board.

I checked with my bank whilst I was in town, I was well in credit - was it such a good thing to know? No more shoes, I was almost chanting to myself as I left the bank and wandered into the shoe shop almost next door.

They had the most beautiful pair of courts in a glossy blue with a small platform sole and a sort of cuban heel. They fitted perfectly and I even saw a bag I liked to match.

From there I went to Monsoon and fell in love with a dress, in guess what, a blue floral design. Marks and Sparks, I bought some new underwear, all satin material. They felt so good next to my skin.

Thornton's, the chocolate shop was next on the agenda and I bought a box of handmade choccies for young Lady Cameron. Tom would get exactly one penny change.

I browsed up and down the hight street and bought a few other odds and ends I needed, like another dress and a skirt and top. I also bought Simon a new tie and Tom a new shirt.

After a cuppa and a cake, I drove off to the supermarket and bought some food for dinner, plus some bread making supplies, yeast and flour and so on.

Lunch was an omlette made with eggs I bought on the way home, from a free range farm. I also bought a chicken, for dinner tomorrow and some organic veg.

Part of me riles at the mention of 'organic anything', it's another of those words which have been hi-jacked and made to mean something other than they used to. Organic, used to mean carbon based as in chemistry, or in medicine, to mean something palpable, such as an organic cause to a disease like a tumour rather than psychological etiology. Now most people these days seem to think it means vegetables which have had no artificial fertilisers near, or meat reared without chemicals or hormones and things.

Anyway my chicken, its eggs and the supporting vegetables were all organic in all senses of the word and I was still chortling to myself as I came in.

I collected the post and amongst various letters was one addressed to me from Southmead hospital. I tore it open with all haste.

'Dear Miss Watt,

Re: Mr Derek Watt

As his designated next of kin, we would be grateful if you could contact the hospital as soon as possible, regarding your father. Telephone contact seems to have not been possible on the numbers you gave us.

Yours sincerely,

J. Burns
Hospital Administrator.'

I phoned immediately and it seemed to take a dog's age to get through to someone I could actually talk to about the letter.

"Ah yes, Miss Watt, he's had a further stroke and is very poorly."

"Can I come and see him?"

"Yes of course, he's on the high dependency unit."

"I'll be up this afternoon."

"Very well, I'll ask one of the staff to tell him, I believe he's been asking for you."

My euphoria from my shopping expedition had turned to naught, suddenly I felt very vulnerable. If he were to die, I'd be an orphan! Omigod!

I put the kettle on and while it boiled I called Stella, Simon and Tom to inform them I'd be dashing up to Bristol. Then I ran upstairs and packed a case.

A quick lunch and I virtually flew off towards Bristol which I got to some hour and a half later, despite the best efforts of the traffic to stop me.

I parked up, paid and displayed and ran to the ward, I tried to compose myself before entering, so I appeared calm to him, but inside I was quaking.

I was shown to his cubicle, he was in bed and looking very sick. His colour was very pale and he seemed to have visibly shrunk since I'd last seen him.

I walked up to him, took his hand squeezed it and kissed him, "Hello, Daddy."

He took several seconds to open his eyes, almost as if the effort was too much bother. It took a couple more before he registered my face. He smiled and tried to speak but he only mouthed the words. It was my name.

"Yes, It's me, Daddy, I'm here," I squeezed his hand again, it felt so cold. "I love you, Daddy," I said before my voice choked completely and a tear ran down my face.

He nodded his understanding and tried to say, "I love you." He gripped my hand tightly, gave a great sigh and died. He had waited for me to get there. I screamed and fell off the chair in a faint.

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Complications

Oh, poor Cathy! She's the classic example of the saying, "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all". Major mental trauma, our poor girl didn't need this. She really needs Stella for support right now, and Stella can't be there. So unfair!

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I'd be an orphan .....

You already are - orphan indicates at least one parent has died.

The meaning of orphan

According to wikipedia, both of your parents need to be dead before you're an orphan.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan

According to wiktionary the word is also rarely used to indicate the loss of one parent
see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/orphan

So my guess is that it's a bit of a local thing and most of the world only uses the word
for people who lost both parents.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

You point being?

Both of Cathy's parents are dead.

Poor Cathy. I shall wear a black arm band until the end of the next chapter.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Is This Too Much For Our Cathy???

She is now an orphan. Will she breakdown now after everything that has happened? True, Tom and George are adoptive Fathers, but now Cathy must deal with the guilt of not being there for her Daddy. This is one cliffhanger that is above them all.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

But maybe it is for the best

Remember her dad was NEVER there for her UNTIL his wife's death and his strokes and nearly beat her to death back when she was struggling with who he/she was. In fact he beat him multiple times.

I still think his actions contributed to his wife's death.

And except for that bit at the end which was as likely the delusions of a dying mind, Mom was almost as bad as Dad. Her outburst and telling Dad about Cathy crossdressing got her nearly killed. Did Dad ever answer to the law for it? No, Mom was an aider and abettor. Cathy is better off with out them.

Sad to say that but true. Who knows, maybe maybe her soon to be mother in law will turn out to be a good person, a little wild in her bedroom antics but a good woman.

The BIG issue now is, where to bury dad and should the members of his loony LGBT hating church be allowed to attend?

Cathy is heading for a breakdown. Mary tried to murder her and had her brains blow out next to Cathy by a police sharp shooter. Her post SRS depression is getting worse what with all the discomfort and all. Stella trying to kill her and nearly dying twice from hemorages has Cathy all wound up. Then there is the whole Russian mob problem. God, what next, Spike dies?

I think Cathy will be in hospital soon.

She is tough but no one is that tough.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Waaaaaahhhhh.

Okay. Now you've gone and done it! She'll feal guilty for a Loooooong time! And you didn't let him give his daughter away either! *sighs*

Tom's being "interesting". Mid life crisis? :-)

Wonder what's gunna happen next... Film a movie?

Hey, maybe somebody starts "hounding" Cathy to write her "life story" Cathy Watts, Queen of the Doormice or How I Corrected a Problem and Solved More. Catchy title? Who's believe that story? I mean, it's as Easy As Falling Off a Bike.

Annette

Whew, what a way to end the week

Glad he at least was able to hold off for her. Less guilt I think. But poor cathy's life sure is complicated. Hope superwoman can make it through all this. Time to call Tom and Simon and get her some support quickly. Wonder if the hospital staff remembers the "Lady Cameron" thing?

Woody

Another bad day for Cathy and especially her Dad

I'm going to take a different position on her father based on experiences with my own.Unfortunatatly parents can feel outside pressure about what their kids should grow up to be like.Even today some parents abuse their lgbt kids for religious reasons or other reasons like the loss of potential grandkids.To me it seems Cathy's Dad realized his mistake and was giving her the only support he could given his situation.Maybe it took the loss of her mother for him to get there but the thing is he did.I believe Cathy realized that otherwise what reason would she have had to visit him? Hopefully Cathy can move forward from this and also resolve her post op depression or I'm afraid she'll be Stella's new roomate at the nut house.She must get back to dialating as well or she might as well become a Nun.Great work Bonzi or is that Angharad.Amy

An end. A beginning.

Dying was probably the best thing that her father ever did for her. This removed the spectre of daily care a person surviving that degree of stroke needs, personal, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, detailed care. We will have to wait to see if her faint was in relief or remorse. I do not mean to be crass, but having been there and attending two parent's passing, both with long debilitating declines, I can attest to the mixed, honest feelings. She may have loved him, but until he wanted for her services, he never expressed any positive consideration for her, only negative, deadly negative.

Now, she needs help, professional help. The strain of even one of her recent exploits would have driven most, even the staunchest, of person's into a mental spin. She needs time to recover. This most likely needs to be alone time. Until the attack, Stella would have been ideal to companion her recovery and rest, but now, she too would merely add to the strain. Simon is no better. It almost comes down to Henry's questionable wife as being the only person of her acquaintance that could companion her. I hope a GOOD professional mental health doctor can help.

No wonder Henry wants her in the family, she is undoubtedly the strongest and most stable one of the bunch.

Thank you again for sharing this romance with us. You transport us all to a different world.

80 more postings and you will have completed a year. You should probably be contacting Guiness or someone about recognizing this remarkable acheivement. Speaking of Guiness, a pint or two might not be a bad idea. :)
Your admiring reader Early June

How sad for Cathy. I can

How sad for Cathy. I can relate to her Dad waiting until she was there before he died. I had an Aunt that waited for an entire week for my brother to show up before she passed. She had already said her "goodbyes" to all the rest of the family, but he was in another State and not easy to get ahold of. She actually went into a form of coma. When he did arrive, he was allowed right into her room at the hospital, said "hi Aunt Peg, I'm here"; she instantly awoke and saw him, then said "I just wanted to say I love you", and passed away. It is truly strange how the body and mind works. Cathy's Dad waiting for her proved that he did indeed love her, more than he had ever shown before.
J-Lynn

"well! It looks as if

"well! It looks as if everything we eat drink, breathe or otherwise absorb can do us harm."

We are all born with a fatal disease. It's called life.

Oh, and as for "organic," Cathy seems to have forgotten that the chemistry of carbon is so called because, before the breakthroughs at the end of the 19th century, organic compounds could only be made by organisms. . .

Cathy's dad's end brought on some leakage about the eyes. . .

Cathy's Dad

LibraryGeek's picture

How very sad. He hung on until she could be there, to let her know he loved her, and then died. I cried after reading that, and I'm tearing up as I write. Despite their differences, in the end there was sincere love.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Cathy

Cathy loved her Dad, though I'm not sure this is the same as needing her Dad.

Her Dad loved Cathy, probably because he needed her.

If her mom and dad had lived to see her marriage, and the beautiful woman she had become, it is conceivable they would have changed their minds. We'll never know.

Ouch

That's rough- losing BOTH parents within such a short period of time. I got very weepy reading that.
At least Cathy and her Dad mended their relationship -somewhat- before he died, but she'll probably have some remaining doubts whether this would have happened had it not been for the stroke(s) and Dad being all alone.

Thanks Angharad for such a wonderful story- I'll catch up with you SOMETIME on this, (you're closing in on 1700 episodes as I write this).


Kung Fu Cat 2 (Closeup).jpg

No tissue alert.

How am I going to explain my red eyes to co-workers.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Are you trying to dissuade

Are you trying to dissuade others from having Cathy's surgery? I'm not planning on it or even thinking of it, but eeu, a shrinking, cold feeling in sympathy.
Had the same deal with mom, without the 90 min desperate ride. Life just got a lot simpler Cathy
Will there be complications with Dad's estate ?

Cefin

Poor Cathy

Poor Cathy