Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 300

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Crawling Through A Pipe.
by: A&B
part: tri-centenary edition.

"Cathy, how good to hear from you, when can we get together again?"

"Would you like to come around this evening?"

"Would I ever?" said Des gleefully.

"Good, I'll tell Simon to order for three of us."

"What?"

"We're having a Chinese take away, so we can devote time to talking about the film."

"Oh yes, the film, I'll bring my stuff over."

"Why else did you think I would phone?"

"No reason," he lied in reply to my silly question.

He eventually arrived at seven thirty as invited and the food came at eight. It was okay, I've tasted better but it filled a hole and enabled me to concentrate on the subject of the film.

At this stage we were considering the overall theme, that of a dormouse from it's birth to maturity. Maybe even a shot of a tawny owl attacking something and a horrible squeak.

Dormice may be protected from humans, they aren't from predators so things that can climb or fly can theoretically take them. Owls are phenomenal hunters, able to strike by hearing alone helped by their asymmetric ears. Behind the facial disc are two ears, one is higher than the other, which gives them a sort of stereophonic hearing and an ability to judge distance with deadly accuracy, ask any field mouse. Cats have the same sort of ability with equally amazing hearing.

Simon sat in on the meeting with some purpose, apart from protecting 'his' property, he contributed to the ideas we were brainstorming. His one outing with me dormouse hunting, gave him some insight and he helped us to see things we might have missed without.

So whilst the film would show the life and times of one individual dormouse, it would also show some of our recording team doing their rounds, counting and weighing dormice and using the trackers to see how far they ranged in their foraging.

It appeared I was going to narrate the thing, of which I was not terribly in favour. However, Henry was, so that was that. We would coauthor the script and adapt it as we went along. If it showed me, it would be fleetingly and most of the narration would be by voice-over not with me as part of the film.

Simon got me to agree to include the dormouse juggling clip in it, Des was equally in favour. That was it, he'd now consider the direction and how he wanted to film it and then we'd start shooting.

When Des left, I crawled up to bed and nearly forgot to brush my teeth, I felt so tired. I did manage to get to bed and the last thing I remember was falling asleep with Simon tucked into the back of me and his left arm around me.

I awoke in the night, it was very dark. I lay still and listened, something had woken me. I lifted my head off the pillow and listened again.

"What's the matter?" asked Simon sleepily.

"I don't know, I thought I heard something."

There was a blinding blue flash which reflected off the mirror on my wardrobe and nearly dazzled me. A short time later a huge crash seemed to rattle the bed in which we were lying.

"Wow!" I said and snuggled close to Simon.

"You're not scared of thunder and lightning are you?"

"Not really, but that was very close."

"Yeah, I know count the seconds between them," he said, "I was in the scouts too."

"I wasn't, they told me to go to the guides, but I never did."

"You could now?"

"I'm too old, silly." I chaffed him.

"No you nit, to be a guider, run the local group or help to."

"How could I do that, I've never been to a guide meeting, let alone made a fire by rubbing two boy scouts together."

"How about we see if I can light your fire, you know, rub you with my little boy scout?"

"Simon, you are silly, and it's the middle of the night."

"So," he said and pulled me over on top of him, kissing me and stroking my breasts.

Far from feeling sleepy, I became excited, more so as he kissed me and his hand felt down to my legs and then between them. I was still tender there, but he was so gentle and a little while later we made love.

Okay so I shall be walking around with a big smile on my face for days, it was so lovely and better than anything I'd experienced before, now I was so tender and felt so hot, that I thought I could fry eggs on it.

With that post orgasmic glow, I snuggled into Simon and drifted into a relaxed sleep. It wasn't to last.

I don't know how much later, there was a flash and bang, followed by another and another. I was trying not to surface from my sleep, but the noise was too much. Flash crash! The whole house shook, and I swore at it.

It seemed to stop for a moment and I smirked at Simon, who sniggered. Then we had a blindingly bright flash with an almost simultaneous flat K_E_R_A_S_H, the noise was different and horribly loud.

"Jesus!" I said, something's been hit.

"What?" said Simon as I jumped out of bed.

"Crikey, it's the Soames house, the roof's on fire, call the fire brigade."

I threw on a jogging suit and shoes and ran off towards the house. The rain was teeming down but it wasn't abating the fire which was looking serious.

I was banging on the door and shouting, Simon came running up behind me, "They're on their way."

"They're not answering, I hope they're okay."

Some neighbours from across the road had arrived. The double glazed windows and doors were beyond forcing. Someone arrived with a big screwdriver and tried to force the lock, it wouldn't work.

I snatched it off him and struck the bottom corner of a small window, it bounced off. I hit it again even harder and the glass broke sending a big crack up the window. Another bash and the inner pane broke. Simon pushed me aside and opened the window, than goodness it wasn't locked. However he was too big to get through it.

"Lift me up," I said.

"No Cathy, you're not going in there."

"Lift me up, now!" He reluctantly did so and I found myself inside the cloakroom.

The lights didn't work, I crept up the stairs, then I heard shouting, I ran into the bedroom, the roof was well alight now and the flickering flames showed me what was happening. They were pinned in their bed by a fallen timber. Margaret was screaming, Gregg lay still.

I couldn't move it by myself, so I ran down the stairs and let in some of the men, they followed me up the stairs and between us we managed to lift the wood enough for another one to drag Gregg out of the bed, then we did the same with Margaret who was by now hysterical. She'd hurt her leg so someone had to carry her. Gregg was manhandled down the stairs and put safely onto the lawn in the front garden of a neighbouring house.

I checked him for vitals, he had none. "Oh shit!"

I began thirty chest compressions, then two breaths and thirty more. Simon came to assist me, he did the compressions while I did the two breaths.

Sirens and flashing blue lights announced the arrival of the fire engines, two of them. They told us to continue while they produced oxygen and and a defibrillator.

"Stand clear," said the paramedic who had now arrived to take over and Gregg was zapped by the current. His body jumped or jolted - nothing. Another go and this time his heart produced a rhythm which was irregular but at least beating.

He was taken off in the ambulance, Margaret had already gone with a suspected broken femur. The fire was extinguished after two hours, so a large part of the house was damaged. It would be uninhabitable for months.

About five in the morning, after consuming a cup of tea made by some of the neighbours, I felt exhausted, I suppose the adrenalin had stopped running. Simon and I went home and showered and dried and went back to bed. I couldn't sleep, all I could hear were Margaret's calls for help.

I did manage to sleep eventually, Simon of course was snoring like a pig within a relatively short time. We awoke about ten and after a quick breakfast found out that the casualties had both been taken to Southmead.

To cut a long story short, Margaret had a pin and plate in her femur and Gregg was in intensive care, he'd suffered a blow to his head which somehow had caused the heart attack. They thought he was going to make it.

"Thank you Cathy," said Margaret, "You saved our lives."

"Well us girls have got to stick together," I said winking at her, she smiled and nodded.

"You, you're a regular girl scout!" said Simon as he put his arm around me and led me back to the car park.

"Yeah, but helped by a regular boy scout, this time," I said before I kissed him.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, Now We Just Might Know

Who will be staying in Cathy's house. I never saw this coming, Ang has a way with cliffhangers.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Donner und Blitzen! Super Cathy saves…

…the day (or should that be night?) again. Will nothing stop this girl?

Great Cathysode, (Sorry, Laika!!!) Ang. and Bonz.

You did us proud, girl and pussy.

Hugs,

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

That last line

Angharad's picture

feels slightly rude or am I being hypersensitive about my pussy.
Well Bonzi is at an impressionable age. What did you think I meant? Oops!

(blushing)

Angharad

Angharad

Starting a fire

I always thought, in order to get 'em hot enough you just rubbed one boy scout at a time. ;-) Then they start the fire for you.

Karen J.

* * * * * * * *
Change We Can Believe In - Barack Obama

The change, it had to come,
We knew it all along
~~~~~~~
Meet the new boss,
Same as the old boss

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

What a special "300"! First

What a special "300"! First Cathy puts Des in his place and then saves, with help, her neighbors from being killed by the fire and the falling tree. Somehow, I do believe that she has made a friend for life with Margaret and Gregg. Neither will ever belittle her again. Angahard, I am really glad you and Bonzi are co-writing this wonderful story, you both give so much to it. Hugs to you both, J-Lynn

One word

is all thats required.....excellent

Great Episode!

jengrl's picture

Cathy cooled Des off and then saved the lives of her neighbors. I think they will never doubt that Cathy is who she was supposed to be all along. She has shown herself to be caring and compassionate multiple times. Margaret and Gregg have just realized that Cathy is a special young woman no matter who they remembered her to be. I look forward to each new adventure in this wonderful story.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

300 and still going strong

Your at 300 and your story still has tons of potential.I hope you get to five hundred as I'm sure you have the reader base to support it and hopefully the energy as well.Keep Bonzi well fed and rested so he can keep up his end of the bargain.Another great chapter and I can see Margaret and Cathy becoming close friends with maybe the Soames staying at her house while theirs is repaired.Amy

CCC

Angharad,

So I c that I'm not the only one blown away by how you've been able to keep the story going, developing,and deepening for 300 episodes!!!!! I'm amazed at your and Bonzi's prowess. You've been so successful in creating such an engrossing story - lookng forward to more!

fantastic!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Congratulations - Llongyfarchiadau - 300

Angharad

I am constantly amazed at your ability to write such consistently high quality stories on a daily basis.

Another fantastic milestone!

Cofleidiau,

Alys

Me Too!

Same as Alys said.

+ great 300th episode.

I Agree!

With stanman _63 and I'm not just being agreeable! So Gregg and Margaret get to house-sit for Cathy!?

With respect to the connet by Gabi, one of your other, uh, commentators, does "Pussy" have the same double meaning in Europe as it does in North America?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Nice when the...

boy & girl scouts work together rather than at cross purposes.

So cathy needs a litte "electricity" in the air to get there. Maybe she & Simon will become Thunderstorm chasers. There are folks in the states that chase tornados...

Thanks for 300...

Annette

I just knew it wouldn't last

All this domestic bliss stuff.

Now we're onto the nitty-gritty of what Cathy's all about. A Superhero!

At least now she's one step closer to the costume. It's not such a big leap to go from jogging gear to Lycra and undies on the outside is it?

Oh and don't forget the cape--unless she wants to take note of Edna Mode and not risk it. There's a lot of sense in that actually . . .

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Bike

Well well! Chapter 300 reached and I still can't put it down,( though walking around the street with the lap top open attracts some queer looks, and my wife says at night it worse than having toast crumbs in the bed!)
Another milestone reached and this story keeps getting better.

I realise now that it is pure fantasy (well I did after the first couple of chapters,) but it still makes a bloody good read. I keep having to smack myself to avoid reading the last chapters first. Fortunately I'm catching you up then I shall be able to do some constructive work myself. (Give it a week!)
Now back to the reading,
Bloody brilliant!
Beverly.

House sitting

Looks like they have some free house sitters for a while. This works.

The Soames' will be house sitting.

I agree I was thinking along those lines before I read this chapter.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

300 Up

This is the first comment on this chapter in three years. I am so impressed with your imagination - it must be better than 'The Archers' which in view if Cathy's expertise with bow and arrow would make a suitable alternative title for the story.
Bronwen

Are you kidding me ? this

Are you kidding me ? this would make a wonderful script for a television action series !

Cefin

300!!!!! Wow, I hit the big

300!!!!! Wow, I hit the big 300 today. Lets see, as of Pi Day 2016, that puts me at (300 / 2896 = 0.1035911602209945) 10.26% of whats been posted. Well back to the reading.

BTW. I'm still enjoying the story line, ant your writing style.