Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 320

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Killing Little Furry Things.
by Bonzi >^^<
part:320

I was eating my sandwich catching up on some marking when Pippa called through. "Tom wants to see you."

"Any idea what about?"

"He didn't say but he is a little exercised about something."

"What time does he want me?"

"Like yesterday!"

"I have a tutorial in half an hour."

"The mood he is in, I think you'd better get here pronto."

"Oh, wonder why?" I shook my head. I put the pen down and picked up my bag."

Three or four minutes later I strolled into Pippa's office, "I'm here."

"Go straight in," she said nodding at his door.

I knocked and entered, "You wanted me?"

"Yes, come in and sit down," he was reading something and didn't even look up.

I sat feeling a little uneasy.

He looked up at me and he didn't look very happy about something. "I have just had a most interesting lunch with the Dean."

I now knew what this was about. I blushed.

"He tells me you went to see him and made all sorts of threats."

I wanted to interrupt, but had a feeling this would not help, so I kept quiet.

"Is this true?"

"Which part?" I asked feeling a mixture of embarrassment and shame.

"All of it you, silly woman." He sounded very angry.

"I explained that you were important to this university as was the mammal survey project."

"He said you threatened him, is that true?"

"I told him that if you left, so would I."

"Why did you go and see him?"

"You told me they were trying to get rid of you. I wanted to defend you." I now felt tears in my eyes.

"I do not need a slip of a girl defending me, I am quite big enough and ugly enough to defend myself. I fight my own battles."

"I'm sorry, I wanted to help."

"You have put me in a very difficult position."

"I'll resign, if that's what you want."

"It isn't what I want."

"It's what Andrews wants though isn't it?"

"He is very disappointed in you. He thought you had more sense. You do not make threats to the Dean."

"I'll finish my marking and clear out my stuff." I stood up to leave, tears were streaming down my face.

"Sit down, I'll tell you when you can go."

I sat down again feeling very foolish and hurt.

"You mentioned a tutorial, who with?" He asked and I managed to mumble the name of the student, whereupon he told Pippa to reschedule it and to bring in two teas.

"I'm very disappointed with you, Cathy, I thought you had more sense."

"I'm sorry," I mumbled sobbing, this really felt like my father giving me a dressing down.

"It's not me you need to apologise to, It's Dr Andrews."

"If that's what you want me to do."

"What I want doesn't matter, it's what you need to do if you want to stay here. You do want to stay?"

I nodded.

"This is such an uncharacteristic thing for you to do. Normally, you stop troubles not cause them."

"I thought they wanted shot of you," I sobbed, hoping it was coherent enough for him to understand.

"I think I misled you, I'm getting old and stupid...ah, here's the tea, thank you Pippa, that's all." He waited for her to leave before he continued. "Look, there's been a terrible misunderstanding, which is probably my fault. You have gone off like a cruise missile without knowing your target and now we have to try and rebuild the mess."

I nodded and sipped my tea trying not to let the fluid running from my eyes and nose go into the cup.

"As long as Andrews is here, your chances of promotion are zilch, which is a pity as you have great potential. Sadly, he's a year younger than me. You may have to move one day."

I nodded and sniffed in one movement.

"I need you on this project, I also need you to keep breeding dormice and cooking my dinner. I suspect some students would also add a few other things. Now finish your tea, clean up your face and go and see Andrews. Let him gloat and have his say, just apologise and do not react under any circumstances. Take your punishment like a ma..the lady you really are. Then come back and see me."

I nodded left my cup half full of tea on his desk and went out to the loo. It didn't matter what I did, it was obvious I'd been crying. So I washed my face with cold water and went off to the Dean's office.

He was on the phone and I was kept waiting about five of the longest minutes of my life. Finally, as my stomach finished its wash cycle and began to spin, I was told to enter.

It's painful for me to recall, so I'll keep it brief. I apologised and he stamped all over me. After changing his shoes several times and kicking me until he was out of breath, I was dismissed. I stood there and took it all without a murmur.

I went back to Tom's and Pippa told me he was on the phone. I waited.

"You alright?" she asked me.

I nodded, I was still very close to tears, and in no mood to explain myself.

Tom came out and called me in, making a 'T' sign with his hands to Pippa.

"I've spoken to Dr Andrews and he said you accepted his reprimand. I have managed to keep all of this off your record, but at a cost of you not pissing him off again, understand?"

I nodded and mumbled my thanks.

"You get more like my bloody daughter everyday, go off half-cocked, Cathy, what am I going to do with you?"

"I'm sorry."

"If you say that once more I'll shoot you. Right, go off and play with your jerbils and come back at half four, we have to go and see Stella, remember?"

"What about my marking?"

"You are not marking assignments after all this, you'd only have to do them again later. Go and stroke Spike, or whatever you call that dorweiler thing you have in the lab, go on, out of here, you're shrinking my carpet."

I did as I was told, actually all I wanted to do was curl up and go to sleep and maybe never wake up. How could I ever undo what I had stupidly done? I felt so ashamed of myself. Go to see Stella? Oh boy, what a delight that would be in this frame of mind.

"I found myself down the labs and holding Spike, feeding her hazelnuts, we were out of brazils. She was huge, it wouldn't be long now. I heard the door open and one of the technicians came in carrying a pile of metal plates. I watched them waver in his hands and several fell to the floor with a crash. Spike froze, then a moment later she jumped down the front of my blouse and wet herself! It was going to be one of those days.

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another YouTube moment

I hope nobody caught it on camera - Cathy would never live it down.

Keep it going

Karen

Oh no, not again.

KevSkegRed's picture

I wonder if someone just happens to have a camera phone, I can see Cathy & Spike's 2nd appearance on You Tube coming up, haha.

I think with everything that has gone off in their lives recently, maybe Cathy forgot who her boss is, but knowing Tom, that will be the end of the matter.

Still going strong Ang, nice to see it's still keeping us all enthralled, well done and thank you.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Poor Cathy, She Meant Well,

I think that tom is more mad at himself for causing Cathy to go off like she did. I hope that blouse is insured though.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cathy's a warrior

She doesn't need a bow to defend her 'family', but she did go off half-cocked - I think I'm mixing my metaphors there.... She's gone from being the quiet, don't attract attention type of guy to being a woman of action, a 'take no prisoners' type at that! She has to learn to change her weapons depending on the circumstances, and academia will demand finesse, the use of a stiletto, heels that is, may be more up her alley...

The situation Cathy finds herself in is eerily real to my experience in that she was inadvertently mislead someone close to her, who's perspective on a situation was not as all encompassing as it first appeared. That's one thing I really love about Angharad's writing, how real the characters' behaviours are to the reality I see around me. Well done, as usual!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Okay, Cathy bide your time anwhen he's ready to retire ...

Screw the Dean but good.

What a pompous old bastard the Dean is. Cathy may have gone off half cocked but for good reaaon, he is only being a fucking bastard because he's an asshol*.

Let him think he's won then get Simon and Daddy to link all the funding to her and her alone. As she said the survey methodology and data are not university property.

As to Spike the slutty dormouse, Oh my!

Maybe Cathy is the avatar of a fertilty godess and will soon be pregant with triplets herself.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S I still think Jamie, your SNAFU heroine will be up the spout after Sekmet does her magic on her.

John in Wauwatosa

John, don't forget that Cathy doesn't…

…have even a half cock to go off! :)

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Um, well...

kristina l s's picture

...she sorta does but it's not feeling itself.

Kristina

Tom Should Have Told The Truth In The First Place

jengrl's picture

Tom should have explained what was really going on in the first place. Cathy had been through enough turmoil with her father's death and Stella's breakdown and he should have thought of that. Budgets for educational institutions are being cut all over the place, so Cathy was justified in her feelings anyway.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

*sighs*

Cathy DID go of half cocked... Tom DID set her up... (Okay, maybe not intentionally.)

Could personalities keep Cathy from advancement at the Uni? It could over here. I don't think it would likely keep her from completing her doctorate. It COULD keep her from achieving tenure (where she in a tenure track position)... MAYBE. A single dean, even a very poserful one, can be gotten around. (I've seen it happen)...

*sighs* Why does Cathy have this mouse issues...

Annette

Well Said!

Thank you, Karen, for responding so well and letting me get away with not having to tax my limited brainpower to think of something original.

And, thank you, Angharad, for continuing this wonderful story!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Is Spike a bit, um . . .

Biseckshul?

She seems to spend more of her time around Cathy's boobs than Simon.

Just an observation.

I AM catching up--see!

NB

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad . . .

Dean

The dean may feel he is control, but then, he has missed a lot of points. Then again, I suspect Cathy may have torpedoed works in progress, which may have really gotten his goat good. It ain't over, but then, the Dean has not been paying attention.

Open mouth, insert ankle

So, does the suppression of testosterone, give a more likely chance of acting like a momma bear with cubs? Seems when Cathy gets hot, there is scorched earth left behind, ask several Russian Maffia with ventilation holes, purse snatchers, and the like. I thought it was a guy thing ?
If sincere, she must have been grinding her teeth, during her dressing down. I would not want to be that guy in a few years when Cathy is in a position of true power.

Cefin