Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 312

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike
by Angharad
part: guess what, 26 doz!

On the way home we went to the university, where I checked up on my babies. Spike seemed happy to see me, or maybe it was the brazil nut she nibbled while I held her. I was pretty sure she was pregnant again, so she was making her regular contribution to the captive breeding programme.

While I was in the lab talking with the technicians, Simon, was bringing Henry up to speed on Stella's condition. He came in to find me when he'd finished.

"Dad's coming down tonight to see Stella, we're invited to dinner at the hotel."

"With Tom?"

"Of course, you don't think he'd leave Tom out, did you?"

"No, but with you lot, it isn't safe to assume anything, is it?"

"Well you know I love you."

"I wouldn't have thought that knowledge of something is the same as an assumption. I could perhaps assume something because I know you love me."

Simon's eyes glazed over, "Why did I have to fall in love with an academic?"

"You didn't have to, it wasn't compulsory," I pouted back.

"Oh gawd, I'm going back to the car, when you're ready."

"Why don't you pop back via Pippa and leave a message for Tom about tonight?"

"Yes, okay. Will you be long in coming?"

"Depends on how excited I get," I winked at him forgetting that Neal was standing a few feet away. He fell about laughing and I got very embarrassed, all self inflicted.

Simon went off shaking his head and muttering to himself. I went back to talking about the breeding programme, which brought a fresh set of blushes to my face and a snigger to Neal's.

Simon was still chatting with Pippa when I came through from the labs. "Did you tell Tom?"

"No, he's in a meeting, but I told his boss, here."

"Oh, okay, hi, Pippa."

I made us all a cuppa and we chatted for a few minutes while we drank it.

"When are you coming back to work?"

"Well that depends upon whether or not Stella is sent home again and if she needs me to be there."

"Yes, that was a bit sad."

"It was awful. I felt so guilty," I confessed. "I sent her up to bath to give my ears a short break, she was getting so clingy. If only I'd thought..."

"You wouldn't know though, would you?" Simon tried to alleviate my guilt.

"I didn't even think, Si, I was simply concerned with my own needs that I didn't consider hers."

"Don't beat yourself up, Cathy, she was obviously worse than you thought." Simon could be so supportive.

"But it was partly my fault, I sent her up to the bathroom."

"Did you know she was going to do it?"

"Of course not."

"So how are you responsible?"

"I rejected her."

"You'd spent all day with her, for goodness sake."

"I know, but I still feel I failed her when she needed me."

"What psychotherapy training have you had?"

"None, you know all that, Simon."

"I'm just showing you that you didn't know, nor should be expected to know. You know more about bloody dormice than you do about anything useful! Bloody academics!"

"I know, we should all be strangled at birth," I continued his whinge.

"And bloody Watney's red barrel," he continued going straight into a Monty Python sketch. I did wonder if insanity ran in his family or if he was the first sufferer.

When he'd finished his complaint sketch, we left. Pippa laughed which only encouraged him, she hadn't seen any of them. I'd seen the lot, one of the side effects of a university education, down the union watching tapes of the Monty Python shows and the films of course. Well it was more fun than the lectures. I hoped my stuff was more interesting than the, knights who say, 'Ne', although the reality would be, only if you were interested in my subject, mammalian biology.

"We going home or do you need anything?"

"Could do with some stuff for the bread machine, can we stop at Morrison's?"

"Of course we can, that's why I asked you?"

We did stop and he nagged me the whole time. I didn't say anything although I did notice a certain amount of unease in him, when I picked up a cabbage. He also shut up for a while. I put the cabbage in our basket.

Finally, his curiosity got the better of him, "Was it one like this you hit that bloke with?"

"What bloke?" I played dumb.

"You know damn well which bloke, the one who clobbered Stella, that bloke!"

"Oh him, nah, that was a savoy cabbage, not a white one. These are lethal weapons, why I could probably kill you with one of these..."

He recognised my Psychopath example and behaved himself. That's what I love about Simon, he's totally gullible!

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What did happen to Watney's Red Barrel?

I had completely forgotten about Watney's Red Red Barrel. So full of gas it made me burp and fart. It's no loss as far as I'm concerned.

Good episode, Ang. I'm glad Spike's doing her stuff.

Hugs

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Watney's Red Barrel

Well the Sleeman version of Watney's Red Barrel pale lager version was produced until 1997 but the original Britsh Keg version ceased in the late 70s. Mostly because it tasted so damn bad.

According to yahoo that is.

I remember party fours and sevens that for some reason always seemed to have a cigarette end in.

Well, you DID ask

Lady E

I had an export version in the mid-80s

erin's picture

Was way better than most mass market American beers. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Too bad you've never seen any...

... monty python yourself. I says to myself, as I look around for a schrubbery...

When's Cathy going to get some therapy - she obviously needs help dealing with her missplaced guilt. I wonder how dinner'll go with "himself"... Cathy and three "gentlemen". Could be interesting.

Thanks for continuing this Angharad.

Annette

'Will you be long . . .'

That sounds like a question Cathy should be asking Simon. ;-)

Nice that Simon knows how to jolly her out of a funk, I suspect that will be a fulltime job when they are married.

Thought about throwing in a line from Blazing Saddles as a counterpoint to all this British-based humour, but the best lines are not repeatable, in this day and age.

Add: Found one I could use!

Lili Von Shtupp: [singing] I'm tired of men always coming and going, going and coming - and always too soon.
[to the audience] Right, girls?

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Hee!

May da Schwartz be wit'choo!

Dat, too

Dark Helmet: "I see your Schwartz is as big as mine..."

Okay, I'm game

Since I did mention Young Frankenstein indirectly in another post here.

"He'd have an enormous schwanstucker."

"He'll be 'trifficly popular."

No wonder poor Cathy is sore after being with Simon, he's The Monster.

Ang, are Brazil nuts adictive?, Look at Spike your dormouse hottie, pregnant again.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Okay, Karen, in honor of the late Harvey Corman, age 81 ...

my Dad's age.

"So go do that vodoo that you do ... sooo WELL!"

Madaline wus' robbed at the Oscars. She should have one best actress for Lily.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. T-minus 28 hours to my Dad taking off to pick up his OLDER brother Norman and drive to Yellowstone and Teddy Roosevelt Nat. Parks. Dad's the baby at 81.

P.P.S. It sticks in my craw, what's with Cathy and her dream of mom saying she will be a mother? Foster, adoptive, biolgical?????

John in Wauwatosa

How's about this, John?

Cathy is TS, so can't get pregnant. But there is one member of the cast here who is pregnant on a regular basis. So the SRU wizard swaps Cathy's mind with our pregnant female, and Cathy spends the rest of her life nibbling on Brazil nuts and popping out babies. (evil grin!)

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

That's . . . that's . . .

A marvellous idea.

How will she ride the bike though?

Carbon fibre wheel in her cage? Just as an alternative of course.

Spray "Scott" on the side, would she know the difference?

Lady E

But, but, but ...

Simon, you are sooooooo big.

OH MY GOD!

You have got to be joking.

Oh ... oh... ohh ... "Oh, sweet mystery of life at last you've found me!"

So there!

John in Wuwatosa

P.S. Ang, only you can resolve our confusion or make it worse.

John in Wauwatosa

I Wonder If Cathy Can Hold Up

jengrl's picture

Up to this point, Cathy has kept herself together. I wonder if she will be the next in line for a serious breakdown of her own? Her father's death and Stella's problems have really taken their toll. With all the pressures of the upcoming documentary adding to the mix, I hope she is going to be able to keep her sanity. Great writing Ang!

Hugs,
Jenn

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Well, Simon Has A Right To Be Worried

If Cathy goes bonkers, will he be drafted to care for Spike? But then again, Cathy is bonkers for Simon.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Seems like things are back to normal

As normal as things can be where this lot's concerned anyway.

Looking forward to the next instalment, Angharad.

Lady E

Cathy And The SRU Wizard Huh?

Well, there is that children's story "A Mouse On A Motorcycle," so maybe if that happens, Cathy can still ride her bike.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Help, I thought i'd lost my fav story

This is the very first time I’ve made a comment…. Broken cover as it were.. Put my head over the wall… and why I hear you cry..

Well you see dear reader… Oh god, I’ve just discovered that I’m a drug addict !. It’s that Angharad who’s to blame. Crafty minx that she is.. I mean, over recent months, I’ve sort of got used to logging on and reading my daily fix of the Portsmouth Soap.

Even started to take an interest in the drivers worse enemy – the dreaded cyclist. What is it with this breed, in my day all I had was a heavy drop handlebar BSA.. had to walk up every hill.. great going down though, and helmets were for wimps.. But I digress.. Yes even taking an interest in field mice.

But then… it happened… the whole site just vanished…. Oh what to do.. How could I live without knowing how Cathy will cope? Would Stella ever recover? Would Tom ever ask Stella to share his life? Will Simon ever get Cathy into her Wedding Dress.. And Now Spike’s in the club again.. Oh dear. Would I never know the answers?

But just when I thought all was lost… Oh Joy - the site came back and now I think I’ll just about be able to cope with life again..

But just a suggestion for all us drug addicts.. Don’t ever do this again Angharad.. We need our daily fix.. I suspect you and the site administrators only did this because your Welsh and Pompy won the Cup… and come to think of it, how come our Cathy and Simon weren’t on the Green at Southsea to welcome back the Cup. I think we should told !

Right that’s it… rant over, and it’s back under cover for this dedicated fan.

I missed one episode.

Angharad's picture

The site was down and it was too late for me to write, remember I write these direct to the site, so they are sort of spontaneous.

It's also still february in 'Bike Time' so Pompey* haven't won the cup yet, more importantly Team GB haven't yet taken 9 gold medals at the track world cycling championships.

Angharad

*As a Cardiff girl, I am not entirely pleased with the outcome of the FA cup, we was robbed!

Angharad

Double entendre.

Double entendre.
Go well with puns! We need to check with the Ministry of funny walks. BTW, who's the new Bond head of Q branch?

Cefin

How long to dormice live?

How long to dormice live? Just a thought. Is Spike going to be casualty at some time?

Claire Stafford