Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 260

Printer-friendly version

Queasy As Falling Off A Boat.
by: Hadarang
part:260

I knew I was dreaming, but I couldn't break out of it, I couldn't make myself wake up. I was in the hospital behind a sheet of plate glass looking itno Stella's room. She was lying on the bed, not moving but I knew she was still alive. I saw two porters bring in the mortuary trolley, they picked her up and began to put her into the trolley, I was screaming and banging on the window but they couldn't or wouldn't hear me. They lowered her into the trolley and began to push it out of the room. I was screaming, "She isn't dead, she isn't dead," over and over but no one could hear me.

Suddenly a bell rang all around me, I jerked awake and the phone by the bed was ringing. It took me a moment to realise I'd been having a very bad dream. I answered the phone with hesitation.

"Your call, Lady Catherine."

"Erm what?"

"You asked for an alarm call."

"Oh yes, sorry I'm half asleep, thank you." I put the handset down and tried to wake myself up. I was a bath of sweat, the dream had been awful brought about no doubt, by my fears for Stella. I made myself a cup of tea and began to run a bath. Showers are all very well for getting clean but I felt in need of some pampering and my legs needed a shave.

I emptied some bath cream stuff into the water and watched it froth up, it smelt nice too. I adjusted the temperature and slipped into the welcoming water, carefully balancing my tea on the edge of the bath. Then bliss, a warm bath with a cuppa if I'd had some romantic music say, Vaughan-Williams or Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, it would have been so nice I might just have stayed there all night.

Instead, I drank my tea and had a short soak, then shaved my legs and finally washed my hair under the shower. I dried it and my little body, and clad in my wrap, went in pursuit of something to wear in the restaurant. I felt it needed a dress and I flicked through the bare essentials I had in the wardrobe. It wasn't very much, I nipped into Stella's room and she had a faux leopard skin pattern dress with a cream background. I took it with me and tried it on with a cream bra and pants set. It looked very nice, since the surgery, the weight gains had been on my boobs and bum which filled the dress out rather effectively. I hoped she wouldn't mind me borrowing it.

The shoes I'd bought were almost the same brown as the dress and had a three-inch stiletto heel. They were moderately comfortable. Sadly I didn't have a matching bag, so had to use a small clutch bag in a darker brown, one of Stella's cast-offs, but big enough to hold my key, my purse and some makeup, together with a few tissues.

I styled my hair, actually, I combed and brushed it a bit so it didn't look too big a mess. I put on my makeup and some jewellery plus my watch, then a squirt of No 5, and I was more or less ready.

It was only half-past seven, so I went into Stella's room again and packed together a couple of nighties, her dressing gown and slippers plus one or two more intimate things. Then left it on the bed for the morning when I would go and see her.

That had used up a quarter of an hour and after a quick check in the mirror, I went down to the Green Room to check out the table and await my friends.

It was one of the nicest tables in the room, almost out of the public gaze but positioned so it didn't miss anything. I felt quite voyeuristic but positioned myself in the most advantageous seat, so I could see practically all that went on.

Tom and Pippa arrived a few minutes after eight, they both looked very smart. Pippa was wearing a trouser suit and Tom had his charcoal grey suit, with a grey shirt and dark rose coloured tie. They spoke to a waiter who brought them over to me, I'd warned them to use my 'future' name.

"You both look very smart," I said greeting them with a hug and a kiss.

"You don't look too bad yourself," said Pippa and Tom nodded his agreement.

"What this old thing?" I said and smirked.

"Okay, what's so funny?" asked Pippa, no she didn't ask she demanded to know.

"This dress is actually Stella's, I didn't bring anything really suitable with me."

"Watch you don't get jam on it then," said Pippa.

"I don't usually, I leave that to older types you know, like ancient academics."

"Ooh, they are the worst," said Pippa, rolling her eyes.

"At least I don't get toner all over me," said Tom with a huge grin on his face.

I looked quizzically at him and then Pippa. She blushed and said, "I had a slight accident with the photocopier this morning."

"What sort of accident?" I demanded the low down, at least it would be something else to talk about apart from that Youtube clip."

"I slipped as I picked up the toner cartridge, it went everywhere."

"I thought they were showing a rerun of the Black and White Minstrel show." Tom was now sniggering.

"How did you get it off?"

"I went home and showered, my clothes are ruined but I think my house insurance may cover them."

"Check it carefully because they often don't cover clothes at all." How would I know, I'd never insured a property. Still, what is it they say, the lesser the knowledge the stronger the opinion. I'd never let fact get in the way of my opinions. What a hypocrite.

We ordered I had lamb. As long as I didn't relate it to the small woolly things bouncing around fields, I was okay. Tom had a curry, okay a beef one, but what his gut must be like I hated to think, probably asbestos-lined. Pippa had a chicken dish, I've forgotten which one now. We also ordered a bottle of red wine, a burgundy.

"How was Stella?" asked Tom.

"Very poorly, they didn't want me to go in to see her. She looked so weak, I had difficulty recognising her for a moment."

Tom looked aghast and Pippa equally upset.

"She had been beaten up by those swine and it started another haemorrhage. She's had umpteen transfusions since. I was shocked by it all."

"Oh poor Stella, is there anything I can do to help?" Pippa looked almost ready to burst into tears.

"That goes for me too," added Tom, now looking angry. "Why in God's name did they have to beat her?"

"I don't know, but the rescue was only just in time, much later and she'd have bled to death."

"Did they get them all?" Tom had raised a serious point.

"God, I hope so, I don't want to spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder."

"Might it be better if you forsook the Camerons and just disappeared?"

"Tom, how can you ask such a thing? I'm shocked." I blushed at his question.

"I'm trying to think how you might evade these buggers, that's all. The Camerons can't, they are too well known."

"I think I might be equally notorious by now."

"Why?" asked Pippa then said, "Oh yeah, just remembered, Youtube."

"Add BBC and various other media and it's fairly easy to see why." I shivered as I thought how much my face had been seen on the media, my dormouse wrestling and interviews on the news would guarantee that plenty of people knew my face, if not my name."

I tried to turn the conversation onto other things but they kept bringing it back to Stella. I told them about my dream earlier.

"Ooh, goodness, I hope it isn't some sort of foreboding." Pippa looked quite worried.

"Me too, although I don't believe in such things too much."

"No, you're a hardened scientist. aren't you Cathy?" Tom was in a sarcastic mood. "Are you sure it wasn't the tuna salad?"

"Positive, I read a thing recently about diet influencing dreams, it doesn't." I declined to add, 'so there,' at the end.

"So if I dream of Madras tonight?" Tom said with a twinkle in his eye.

"Ma who?" said Pippa trying to lighten the chat.

"Good one, Pip," I said, glad that she had stopped the argument which I would probably have lost. Tom is far cleverer than I am.

Suddenly it was eleven and time for them to go home. I felt quite alone until I went up to the suite and found Simon asleep on the bed.

"Good meal?" he asked and promptly drifted back to sleep before I could answer him.

Typical, I thought, just bloody typical.

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So is Hadarang how you feel

So is Hadarang how you feel after getting queasy on a boat? "Giggle".
Cathy is truly become a woman as she lets Simon get under her skin. She should have ended her thoughts with "typical, just like a man." I just hope she is having nightmares about Stella and not preminitions. Stella, I feel, is too important a character in the story to die, as it will leave a big hole in the whole "fabric" and "cut" of the story. Hugs to you Andharad for a another neat little chapter.
J-Lynn

Well, I Do Hope That

Cathy's dream is just a dream. Tom and his asbestos stomach? Very cute idea. But Cathy is right about her fame. It's time that the Russians to stop picking upon Cathy. As for Simon, he is acting just like a married man already.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hey, he asked her how dinner went...

... Okay, so he didn't wait for her answer. But he's talking again.

I do hope All the blood Stella's is good. I get down on my knees before the gentile author, and beg "Please no HIV or other blood borne ailment!" Then realizing that I'm writing, I get up and brush off my knees, while looking around to make sure nobody noticed.

I must say that things happen around there! I hope Pippa's not going to start having more accidents since she knows Cathy and Tom (After all, Tom's her advisor... He must have taught her how to get into trouble.)...

Thanks,

Annette

Misinterpretted dreams?

I'm just thinking that if the Russians wanted to kidnap Stella again, taking her out of the hospital in a meat wagon would be a rather inconspicuous way to do it....

Maybe I missed my calling?

Nicely written, as per norm - Good to see a bit of normalcy in Cathy's life, even if it's just for a moment.

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Well, At Least He Acknowledged Her!

Simon, that is, and before he fell sleep again.

Why is it that some of us feel complelled to have a good long talk when we go to bed even though the stimulation wakes us up again? Counterproductive, isn't it?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Tom is priceless

Janice Lynn took the words out of my mouth.
Well anyway, Cathy is practicing for when she and Simon have been married 10 yrs.
Now if the game was on, he'd be quite animated.

Cefin