Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 211

Printer-friendly version

We dropped the stuff at the car and went off for somewhere for lunch, we had just ordered, Tom had a curry for a change and I had a tuna jacket spud with salad, when I heard a voice which was recently familiar.

"Wady, I wike you."

Easy As Falling Off a Bike.
by Angharad,
part 211.

I slept like a log, so the alcohol did have one benefit. Simon said I snored, but I didn't hear it, so I don't care - he can talk anyway. He didn't even wake me when he left for work, so I slept until after eight when Tom woke me with a cup of tea.

I was dreaming about something when a male voice called, "Cathy," and I was dragged back into real life with a jolt.

"I brought you a cup of tea, seeing as you otherwise look to be sleeping around the clock."

"What, what time is it?" I squinted at him with eyes which didn't quite focus.

"It's after eight, I thought you wanted to go shopping?"

"Uh, oh yeah, I don't exactly want to, but I thought I better had. Start getting food in, that sort of thing, plus we'll need to clean right through as well, cos I won't be able to do much after New Year."

"Why's that then?" he laughed.

I poked out my tongue at him.

"You on dormouse duty?"

"Oh shit, yes and over Christmas, then that poor boy's funeral. Sometimes it feels like life is just too much."

"Are you all set for the hospital?"

"I thought you were collecting Stella?"

"Not Stella, you you nit!"

"Oh, no I haven't, I need to get some nighties and such."

"Come on then, up you get."

I grumbled but sat up. I'd probably had more sleep in the last twelve hours than I'd had for ages. The problem was that I felt more tired than usual. All I really wanted to do was sleep.

Tom eventually left and I somehow managed to fall asleep again.

"Cathy, wake up girl."

"What! Oh god I fell asleep again."

"Your tea is cold, it's ten o'clock."

"Oh bugger. I'm sorry Tom, I don't know what came over me."

"I think it's called life, girl, now get your arse in gear and I'll put the kettle on. Oh you have some post, too."

"Okay, thanks," I said yawning and shivering as I stood up. He went and I staggered into the shower and thankfully the water woke me up a bit.

I dressed very quickly and combed my hair, then trotted downstairs to the kitchen. "

I've phoned the hospital, the consultant hasn't seen the scans yet. So I don't know if your future sis in law is coming home today or not."

"If you have things to do, I'll go and get her."

"Cathy, you have things to do as well, you can't keep deferring to everyone else. Your life is important too, it's very female but not desirable."

"Okay, let me have some brekkies and I'll get off to town."

"I'm half tempted to come with you and then we could have some lunch together, if you and Stella are my substitute children, I ought to try and see both of you."

"If Stella and I are what?" I was surprised to put it mildly.

"My surrogate daughters, why does that worry you?"

I blushed to the roots of my hair. "No I'm very flattered that you feel that way about us." I wanted to say, but we both have fathers, although thinking about it, maybe we didn't in an active sense. Or at least I didn't.

He held out his arms to me and I allowed him to hug me. I knew he had lost his daughter and that he treated me a bit like one. During the embrace he spoke quietly, "Since that day when I bumped into you and rescued you from those silly boys, I have watched you grow into a lovely young woman. I know you told me about yourself while you were still living as Charlie, but it didn't really resonate until I saw you as Cathy and knew that Charlie was the illusion.

My own daughter would probably have been twenty years older than you, but you remind me of her so much, and when you came to stay here, it was like having her here again. Then with Stella and Simon, it was like the family I should have had. Life became so much richer albeit more complicated.

I've become fond of all three of you, but especially you young lady. So I want you to know that as long as I live here, you are welcome to consider it as a second home, no questions asked."

"Gosh Tom, that is so kind of you. I don't know what to say, I erm feel a bit(sniff)overwhelmed." I felt tears run down my face. "I like having someone as wise and funny as you are as my surrogate dad."

"Good, now we know how we each feel. Come on eat your breakfast and I can take you out for lunch."

Eat and go out for a meal? The man was crazy, but I knew that. It appeared that everyone I'd met in recent months was crazy, but most in a very acceptable way if not always likeable way. Was it because I was barmy too and attracted them to me? Who cares? I had a cup of tea and couple of digestive biscuits plus a banana and then went to get myself ready.

When I came back Tom had phoned the hospital and arranged for them to call him if they needed to discharge Stella. We went off in my car, he would get a cab if necessary to collect Stella. I suggested that maybe he needed to get a runabout for driving around town instead of the monster he used at present.

"What! Get rid of me Landrover? Are you mad woman?"

I began to wonder if he'd already decided to derogate my role to ex-surrogate daughter. To be fair to him he traipsed around the shops with me for an hour while I bought nighties and dressing gowns and slippers. In fact he helped carry most of them.

I saw a dress I had to have for Christmas. It was red velvet with a collar and vee neck, and long sleeves, It had a dropped waist and two slit pockets on the side. It was eighty quid, but it was just the look I wanted for Christmas.

I took it to the check out and Tom thrust all the bags in my arms and before I could say anything, he paid for it. "That's your Christmas present sorted."

"You can't spend eighty pounds on me!" I gasped at him.

"I can spend what I like on whoever I like, so there."

How do you respond to that, except to feel guilty. "Thank you, very much."

"You're welcome. You've done so much for me Cathy."

"Meeeeeeee? I haven't done anything, it's all what you've done for me."

"You see, you've enriched my life so much in so many ways and you're not even aware you've done it. That is true magic, you're like some miracle working angel."

Talk about embarrassed, I wanted to die then and there before he said something even more outlandish, was he going senile and imagining I'd done all these things?

We dropped the stuff at the car and went off for somewhere for lunch, we had just ordered, Tom had a curry for a change and I had a tuna jacket spud with salad, when I heard a voice which was recently familiar.

"Wady, I wike you."

I turned around and cringed, running at me was Jemima the decibel queen.

"Are you all bettered now, wady?"

"Yes thank you Jemima," I noticed other diners turning around and sniggering.

"Does you face hurt, wady?"

"No it doesn't Jemima."

"What does she have for lungs, hydraulic pumps?" whispered Tom, "I've heard quieter jet engines."

She came and jumped up on my lap.

"Wady, I wike you."

"Thank you Jemima, I'm sure you are very nice too. Now where is your mummy?"

"In da toi-wet."

"Why aren't you with her?"

"Me done wee wees all-weady."

My ears were beginning to adapt to her stentorian tones. She can't have been more than three, with a pretty good vocabulary and a mouth like a megaphone.

Finally I spotted her mum, and waved to her. She saw me with Jemima and came rushing up to us.

"Jemima, you must tell Mummy when you run off like that. Mummy was very worried."

"Me sawed wady Caffrin, me came to say eh-woh."

Life! I suppose it beats dying.

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What a delightful child...

... that three year old is (as long as she's not mine). A nice happy episode. Somehow, I think this is the lull in the storm... What's going to muck up Christmas day...

LOL

ooh that _is_ funny. I totally agree. It's wonderful to be able to adore children -which aren't yours- :D
And I also totally agree with the eye of the hurricane feeling. Maybe it's not Christmas, but Boxing day?

A joy as ever Angharad, thx

Jo-Anne

On Children

Yes, children are so delightful when they're not yours and, when they get to be too much, you can just hand them back to their parents. It's even better when they're your grandchildren and the parents can't complain about how you've spoiled the kids. (Yes, this is another "Been there; done that!" moment.)

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

I so agree

I have fun with kids, but only because I know they're going back!

Somehow I find we communicate on a similar level :)

Ah well, growing old is mandatory, growing up isn't!

Nice one Ang.

NB

About children. doesn' t really matter who the belong too

About time for another comment from me! it is 3-25-2012, and I am a long way from doing 50 chapters a day!!

I love little Jemima! Since she is revisiting the plot, it appears that both she and her mother will be become an integral, lovable part of this insane group of characters!

I do volunteer work at a local performing arts theatre, and my favorite pastime is watching people be people, and especially, watching young children do what young children their age do! Keep an eye on a couple of youngsters for a few minutes, without them knowing they are being watched, and you will surprised at what you will see as in their own way, they endeavor to learn to be a little more grown up. An 18 month girl going up and down stairs for 15 or 20 minutes, by herself until suddenly you notice she is not using the hand rails....she just wanted to learn to climb stairs, and when she learned, she was done! or the young man who smelled the flowers (with a rock he had picked up, and held in his left hand), then went from one large stone to another, placing smaller rocks on the larger ones, only to scoop them off, try different stones, or other rocks, until he realizes he still has the original stone in his left hand, and places it in several different places on another large rock, until he is satisfied,leaves the small rock where it is, brushes his hands in satisfaction, then returns to mom. A future artist? who knows, but sure seems to me he has an eye for what looked good where!!
Do you have plans like these for Jemima? She, at this point, certainly has the personality for it!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep this story line(s) alive, Ang!!!! I know you will, because the current count is nearly 1700, so I know at least some of these characters will be with us for several years!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Weawwy and twuwy!

We wuvs you, Anghawad!
Pwease bwing us mo.

I quite like children ...

... but, as a vegetarian, I've never managed to eat a whole one. Of course, I don't like them enough ever to have thought have any of our own.

I think Angharad is definitely getting more manic as the series develops. Christmas is certainly going to be a lot more exciting for Cathy than mine was in RL :)

Geoff

Re: I quite like children ...

... Preferably broiled! [To quote the late W. C. Fields ;-) ]

Jenny

Lady Catherine And Jemina

What a very sweet scene. Cathy right there proves to be a wonderful Mum. Me, I hope that there is some way for her to give Simon a child. There are ways postulated in other stories. Just call me a romantic.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

What a nice chapter

But it still leaves to question how Stella is fairing at the hospital.Since you brought back the little girl at a restaurant it reminds me of a favorite saying of mine for unruly kids.Any kid can be good it just depends on how you cook them.Amy

WC Fields

Known for his often complaints about children, one of his most famous quotes always makes me giggle.

"What? Me? Hate children? Why, no, madam. I love little children..."

"... especially with a little hot sauce."

Jemima's speech…

…reminds me of a duck—she sort of quacks. I wonder, when she walks does she go pit-pat-waddle-pat, like that other well-known literary duck Beatrix Potter introduced us to in our infancy?*

Great chapter, Ang,

Hugs,
Gabi

* Jemima Puddleduck

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I don't think she walks

She strikes me as more the type to bounce on her head and feet all over the place exclaiming, "Woohoo! Woohoo! Woohoowoohoo!" as does a duck introduced to us by the master of all Voice Masters, Mel Blanc.

William Claude Dukenfield (aka WC Fields)

"Do you like children?" asks Tillie (Alison Skipworth, speaking with a rather plummy accent.)

"I do if they're properly cooked," replies Gus. (Fields, sounding less drunk than usual.)

You can guess what the film title was...

W C

Another one attributed to him I believe is

Any man who hates dogs and kids, can't be allll bad.

Wc Fields

I remember him saying he liked his kids fried.Lol In the case of Jemima I would agree but with a little of her Aunt's Maple syrup.Amy

Godfrey Daniels!

laika's picture

Here's two of my favorite quotes from America's favorite dipsomaniac. This first Fields quote refers to
NEAR BEER, a non-alcoholic beverage marketed during prohibition:

"Whoever named it Near Beer wasn't a very good judge of distance..."

And this one is attributed to him, but I don't imagine it's from one of his movies:

"I never drink water. Fish fuck in it..."

~~~(Go away kid, ya bother me!), LAIKA

Someone

Seems to understand Cathy. There goes Stella's romance however. Tom still has Pikka though (don't think I spelled that right).

stray thoughts

What a wonderful man Tom is ! With that amount of love, Cathy can do anything.
She is set to have children, look at Jemmima
When I think of Cathy's car, the old Janis Jopplin line, "Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz. My friends all drive Porsches, and I must make amends" comes to mind.

Cefin