Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 256

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Log.
by Bonzi Cat & 'is Mum.
part:256. (Isn't that a quarter of a Gigastory?).

I spun around in my seat, "Simon, what are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same," he said.

"Doing a re-enactment of the Alamo. The police didn't like the bit with live ammo."

He stood and shook his head. "I can't leave you alone for five minutes, can I?"

"No," I said and hugged him. I felt his arm around me and for a moment I felt safe. I also felt safe to cry. At first, my eyes just felt as if they were burning a little and filled with tears, then the tears became rivulets running down my cheeks. In moments, I was sobbing and shaking and I didn't know why.

Simon stood holding me, rubbing my back and saying comforting things to me. I sensed rather than saw or heard someone approach and Simon sent them away. I had missed him and his protective hugs.

When I'd calmed down a bit, he took me into the room and kissed me, it was a wonderful sensation to feel his warm lips touching mine. His strong arms held me and I was close to swooning, though I didn't know why.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him again.

"I had to bring some business acquaintances to assist the boys in blue to deal with these ruffians."

"Any news on Stella?"

"Oh Stella is perfectly safe."

"What! Why didn't anyone tell me?" I was crying for joy, and hugged him tightly.

"She's up at the hospital getting checked over."

"What happened?"

"We worked out where she was within hours, with some help from our friends in Russia and some intel...."

"What the stuff in computers?" I asked blankly, what could an American silicone chip company have to do with anything, besides I preferred AMD.

"What?"

"Intel, the computer chip people."

"No you silly goose, intel, as in intelligence. Get with the jargon girl."

"So what happened with Stella, a swat team was it?"

"No, a SAS team rescued her."

"Oh, I'd have thought the police would have done it."

"They flew them in from Hereford, they sussed the job, did it and left."

"We could have done with a few of them earlier on."

"I heard Robin Hood helped out."

"Ha ha," I hugged him tighter.

"So how many did you shoot?"

"Who said I shot anyone?"

"I heard you confessed to it."

"Confessed, I'm not guilty of attacking people's houses with machine guns, who do you think I am, the SAS?"

He laughed, "So how many did Robin Hood shoot?"

"I think the figure of three was mentioned." I blushed as I said it.

"I heard they only found two bodies."

"Not the two coppers?" I gasped.

"No, they were okay, someone had called them to go elsewhere."

"What? No wonder we were such easy meat."

"No the bodies had arrows in them."

"Oh dear, have they died?" I hadn't given it much thought until now. When I fired the arrows I didn't care if they had killed the targets, now I did. The fact that I had deliberately hurt three people now weighed heavy on my heart.

"I don't know, I'm just immensely proud of my little girl defending herself and her friends against overwhelming odds."

"But I might have killed someone," I sobbed.

"They were trying to kill you, and Tom and that copper."

"I know, but I have no right to kill anyone."

"Neither have they, and they started it."

"That doesn't make what I did right, Simon."

"Cathy, you bought yourself a bow and arrows, if you weren't planning on using it, why the hell did you buy it?"

"I felt safer for having it with me. I didn't think I would ever use it. I was angry and frightened for Stella. I wanted to protect myself and Tom."

"I didn't know you could fire a bow."

"Even you could hit something with a compound bow." I realised what I'd said as the words were out of my mouth.

"Even me, huh! That says a lot about your confidence in me, Catherine Watts."

"I'm sorry, Simon, I didn't mean it like that. What I meant to say was, anyone could hit something with a compound bow.The cantilevers take all the weight off the string so you get to aim it better. It's a forty pound bow."

"That sounds pretty powerful to me."

"It is, from close range would probably put an arrow straight through you." I shuddered as I saw my arrows hit the bloke in the house. How I managed to reload and fire so quickly amazed me when I thought about it. I was as quick as a British archer in the Anglo French wars. I mean I hit him and he staggered about with an arrow in his back and I reloaded and shot him in the stomach. How could he survive two hits, but somehow he did. And that guy who took one in the face! Ugggggggh! I mean, how did he survive that, did I blind him or hit his brain or his mouth? I felt quite ill.

"Are you okay?" asked Simon.

"Not really," I sobbed. "I need to see Dr Thomas."

"Ah, I'll call her as soon as I can, but I think tonight we need to get our heads down."

"What here?"

"No, the hotel on Southsea, remember we have a suite there."

"I brought a case of your clothes from the house."

"I love you Catherine Watts."

"I love you too," I said sniffing. "What about Stella?"

"She's safe for now, hopefully we'll see her tomorrow."

"I hope so." I hugged him again and then let him lead me back to my car. He sat in the driver's seat and we followed a police car to Southsea.

"Are we safe now?" I asked him when we'd snuggled down in the comfortable bed.

"I am with Ramboette protecting me."

My hand which was near his waist dropped a little and squeezed something quite firmly.

"Jeez! Cathy, what are you doing?" he squeaked loudly and jumped but I held on.

"Rambo-ette?" I queried.

"Okay, I apologise, let them go for Pete's sake."

"Still feel safe?" I asked.

"From mad Russians yes, from my psycho-girlfriend, I'm not so sure." I could feel his hand rubbing something as he soothed his injured pride.

"Well that's alright then," I growled at him and put the light out.

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rambo-ette Simon? Really!!

I am glad that Stella is safe and sound and that Simon returned to Cathy, but now I am worried about Spike and Derek. I hope that Spike pulled a Ninja Dormouse move and took care of her attacker. [If there was one that is.]
But do the Russians know about Derek? Is he safe? That is what we need to know now as well as a reunion with Stella.
As for Simon, he had best take care. Cathy is not a Lady Rambo, Robin Hood or maid Marion yes.
Thanks Angharad for another most excellent chapter.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

One of Spike's friends

One of Spike's friends helped out:

-Kylie

OH Goddess....

that is so cute!

Awwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Awwwwwwwwwwww!!!


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Ah, Cathy!

There's a comment about being able to believe two inconsistant things at the same time, I don't remember it exactly and haven't the time to look it up. But it fits Cathy to a "T". The ardent believer in never harming anyone or anything and the quick with a kick or a bow savior of others, both in the same body. Dr. Thomas is going to have her hands full helping Cathy through this one.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Two Inconsistent Things at the Same Time

Would that be "doublethink" à la '1984' by Eric Blair? (For the moment, I've forgotten the pseudonym he used.)

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Nope

It was a quote, something about the human mind be such a wonderful thing, capable of believing two inconsistant, or mutually exclusive, or contradictory things at the same time. Example: an evolution scientist who is a devout Catholic.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Those are mutually exclusive?

Sorry, I know many folks that fit that description. (Okay close to it anyway. Scientist + Catholic & believe in Evolution.)

But, yea, I do find the human mind's ability to maintain double standards mind boggling. :-)

Annette

Orwell!!

Yes, that was it! [Slaps forehead} I guess that was just a senior moment. [Sigh!]

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Kilo-Story

Or is that Killer-Story?

Actually, I doubt it.

Binary Math Point: This chapter, number 256 (or 2 to the 8th power), is a quarter of a binary kilo (1024), which is quite a lot if you're counting chapters. A thousand kilos is a mega, and a thousand megas is a giga.

Archery Point: Field points aren't particularly deadly. That's why deer hunters don't use them. They're primarily for target shooting outdoors. Unlike a bullet, with which they share similar size entry wounds, they don't tear up all the tissue in the neighborhood, deform, shatter, or bounce around internally, and if they have enough velocity and manage to miss hitting anything hard, their exit wound is the same size as the entry.

Certainly nothing pleasant, but a heck of a lot more survivable than getting shot with high velocity soft-point rifle ammo, or a hunter's razor-point broad-head arrow. Internal bleeding would be diminished by having the arrow shaft stay in place inside the body. Even a head shot might be survivable with reasonable medical care.

Okay, here's where I stop babbling and get to the point... I wouldn't expect Cathy's skewered Russian mobsters to have died. Even if any of them are going to die, they'd be in hospital right now, still alive, having IV antibiotics and CAT-scans, with surgeons wrinkling their brows over the imaging, trying to figure out what if anything needs patching up when they pull out the arrows.

Well, if you're going binary...

If a chapter is a story, then this is a quarter of a kilostory, yes, but 1,024 kilostories would be one Megastory (1,048,576 stories), 1,024 Megastories would be one Gigastory (1,073,741,824 stories), 1,024 Gigastories would be one Terastory (1,099,511,627,776 stories)...

Anyway. As my friend Warren warns folks about me, "Never trust a girl that can count to 1023 on her fingers..."

Ah, Yes, But...

...a binary "thousand" (a.k.a. "Kilo" or "K") is 1024. So, I was right. :P

Speaking of munging binary "K"s and "thousands" in the language(s?) of technical English (and I just was, wasn't I?), hard drive manufacturers have been cheating in the other direction for years, using decimal numbers to eke bigger numbers out of their product capacities. If you read the small print on the boxes, you'll frequently find that one of their "Megabytes" is 1,000,000 bytes.

Excellent episode Angharad

I hope the cops or the spooks Simon is working with are smart enuff to get a pro to help her out. Her shrink may be good at what she does, but this can take a pro. PSTD can be devastating, but someone that knows what goes on can be an immense help. Even pros that know what goes on and are trained for it, are often made to see the specialist just to help clear things up. Foreknowledge helps a lot, but Cathy did not have any of that help.

BTW

Men are usually singled out or encouraged into this line of work for multiple reasons. Larger bodies, physically stronger, often mentally tougher, and more ready to sacrifice to protect ones own. But as so many have found out, the female can be the deadlier of the species. Protecting children or loved ones can be a powerful motivator, as well as self preservation. Kudos to Cathy and you for the excellence shown.

And again, Cathy has proved her self female

Yeah, agree with Stacy, female protecting loved ones is a force you don't want to mess with. Cathy is a frightening example of that force. (frightening to those that mess with her at least)

The force be with you Cathy!

I wouldn't necessarily agree to the "m entally tougher" bit...

But, yea. Men do tend to be more common in that line of work... That said. I don't know if they're really mentally tougher. A simple look at the numbers with PTSD should tell us, they're not a tough as the stereotype would have us believe.

I've read more than once, that one difference between the male psyche and female is that the male can take more stress longer - but then breaks. The female bends sooner, but bounces back. How backed up this is by research, I have no idea. But, it does fit with much I've seen.

One semi-related joke I've heard more than once is to the effect "women have this amaizing ability to either forget or ignore things that are too painful. I mean look at how much pain they go through to give birth. Can you imagine anyone willingly going through that a second time?" I admit this was by a male "commedian", but there's some justification to the assertion.

I agree it's a wonderful and fun story.

Annette

LOL - Nice silly ending to lessen tension...

So, it was Simon all along was it... I guess they're not throwing Cathy into the slammer yet for attempted murder.

This was fun. Nice to hear Stella's out of the woods (sorta). It will be interesting to hear how the two pincussions (arrow cussions) make out. And I wonder about the one that appears to have avoided capture. Now, who's going to pay to repair Tom's house?

How long until someone with the right paperwork "checks out" Cathy's dad? Yet another hostage.

More fun happens. And we get to enjoy these nice front row seats. :-)

Thanks,

Annette

I just love the picture of

I just love the picture of the "armed" Dormouse. I can just think what a Game Warden Cousin of mine would be saying "Great, I have to deal with pouchers, hunters and now armed Dormice". Get Cathy, Simon, Stella, Tom and the police a battalion of these armed, furry little creatures and Watch out! J-Lynn

day late - dollar short

as this is dec 2010 - I'm quite a bit late in the comments section as i'm just reading this story now. btw - I'm now an adict :-)

any rate - i spent 12 yrs in US Marines and 5 of that on US Embassy duty and on Seal teams, so, I know a bit about weapons & other things. point here is, and studies in Russia & other countries have proven. some of the best snipers in the world are women least as far as the shooting goes, where, they often fail, is the emotional aspect, males tend to be able to compartmentalize back in some place & keep doing the job, and only later will have hellish nightmares even years after the fact. while women usually will have their emmotional breakdown not much after the fact.

these comments are a bit off my planned response. and the pint is in general if you can get the women to concentrate & do it on a regular basis women will often score higher more consistantly on a range than their counter parts.

I look back & think on some of my own experiences,and realize maybe that woman in me is what kept me alive a few times. I was always an emothional wreck directly after, but kept at it afterwards, because that is what i was trained to do. even now 30 yrs after fact if I've been high stressed a bit I get those nightmares. My TS therapist almost didnt qualify me because of these. I assured her. Yes I get nightmares still, but dammit whether I presentd as male or female i still would likely. (and I do still) but least I'm having to worry how i present myself to the world now days.
I am woman . hear me roar :)

YES I have mutiple weapons still, but least now I only take my frustrations out on paper targets hahahaha

Rambo had a compound bow too

Now, maybe we can get back to wedding planning ?
I need my BP medicine !
I knew that in some form disaster would strike, but wow! Good Show !

Cefin

Sorry

Thanks Rhonda for your help.
To those who may have read a response I posted earlier, Sorry, I owe an apology to someone who is no longer with us.
Sorry Stanman .
Kevin