Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 355.

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Calling For A Light.
by: Bonzi (It's her turn to sleep tonight)
part:355

As I made my way to the lecture room I felt very unhappy about the interview with Keith. It shook up too many feelings, I thought I had put to bed. I was a woman now, not anything else, just a woman and I didn't need to be reminded of my past. It was historical fact, nothing more. Once I got my gender recognition certificate, and my new birth certificate, it would be case closed.

I felt a bit guilty, when someone asks for help, surely one is obliged to help. Even though I didn't really feel it, there was some sort of kinship amongst all gender variant people. Maybe he felt exactly the same as I had done but was unable to do anything about it-until now? I'd had to escape from home before I could start my own pupation and emerge from the chrysalis. Without the help of Stella and Tom and then Simon, I'd still be sat in my bedsit worrying about when or how I would do it.

My lesson was less than my usual performance and I set them an assignment and finished early. I went to see Tom. Fortunately, he was free.

"What happened to you?" he asked.

"What do you mean?" I said looking at him in astonishment.

"My girl, you looked triumphant earlier on, now you look as if you lost on penalties?"

"I need to talk, if you have a minute?"

"For you, I have a whole sixty seconds, come into my boudoir," he ushered me into his room. "What's the prob?"

"I've had a student come to me for advice on changing sex."

His eyes widened, "Well you probably know more about it than I do. So what's the problem?"

"I'm not sure, I think there are people who would be better qualified to deal with it."

"In a professional sense, but they don't have the tee shirt, like you do."

I actually giggled at that remark and it's implication, 'been there, done that, got the tee shirt!'

"What's so funny?"

"You are, I love your turn of phrase, sometimes."

"You should love it all the time, support your local professor," he winked at me. "Look, I have another interminable meeting in a few minutes and I will be short of a luncheon companion, so how about we postpone this for..." he looked at his watch, "...and hour and a half?"

"Okay, it'll give me time to organise my thoughts."

"Fraid not, I have a pile of correspondence from various government agencies which needs a reply drafted, here," he dumped a large folder in my hands.

"How come I always get to do the dirty work?" I protested.

"Because Pippa can't, it needs a scientist to answer some of it, but they're all busy, so we have to use you."

"Huh, you cheeky sod, what sort of answer is that?"

"All you're going to get, be a good girl and get stuck in, here, you can use my desk and if you ask nicely enough, Pippa might make you a cup of tea. See you later." he picked up his battered brief case and left.

I spent the next hour sipping tea and answering queries from Natural England about granting licences to various groups to possibly handle or disturb dormice, which are protected species in the UK.

In terms of feeding my ego, they seemed to think, I was an authority on the subject. Then, compared to Tom, I was. I did one regarding bats and then dealt with a query about badgers and TB in cattle. I was not in favour of a cull, nor was the evidence which tended to suggest badgers were occasional vectors, but poor animal husbandry was the cause. Not a lot of comfort to the poor cows they slaughter or the farmers who lose money because of it.

Then a letter which completely concentrated my mind, someone had seen a pine marten in the forests of Northumbria and wrote to tell us about it.

'...I was walking in the area which is primarily pine forest, counting red squirrels, which are regular inhabitants although not numerous, when I spotted a russet coloured creature rush up a tree and pursue a squirrel over a period of one or two minutes.

I could not believe that anything could actually dash through the trees faster than the acrobatic Sciurus vulgaris, but this creature did, pursuing the unfortunate squirrel and finally catching and killing it.

I then explored the area more carefully and discovered what looked like latrines, which had musty smelling droppings, some of which I enclose in the jar. I'd be grateful if you could confirm tht they are pine marten and not badger.'

"Lucky sausage," I said as Pippa entered the room.

"Who is?"

"This guy, he saw a pine marten catch a tufty."

"What's a tufty?"

"A red squirrel!" I looked astonished at her ignorance.

"Don't look at me like that, Catherine Watts, how am I supposed to know, you lot talk in code half the time. What is that?" She screwed up her nose at the contents of the small jar I was examining.

"What does it look like?"

"Sh..poo," she said standing back as I offered it to her, "ugh, keep it away from me."

"It is poo, hopefully pine marten poo, which we can use to add to the DNA data base."

"I thought that only applied to paedophiles and things."

"Duh! Cambridge University, has been keeping a data base of genetic material of British mammals for years. We can use it to check on new races when we think we've found one. If ever we need to captive breed things, we can ensure a good genetic mix. One of the sources of DNA, is good old fashioned shit, which we'll share with them, as the old chap was kind enough to supply a grid reference for it's location."

"It gives new meaning to getting shit in the post, I suppose, sorry I can't share your enthusiasm." She left shutting the door behind her.

I photocopied the letter and gave it and the sample to Neal, who just loves to play with poo, maybe I should rephrase that, he has an interest in the dietary habits of creatures, and their menus.

I had just clicked my way back to the office when Tom came back from his meeting. "I don't know how you walk in those things? he said regarding my shoes. Then added, Well you certainly look happier."

"I've just given Neal some poo to analyse."

"Oh good, he'll enjoy that." He looked at me, "The pine marten?"

I nodded.

"You reminded him to send some to Cambridge?"

"Of course, I'm not..."

"Just a pretty face, I think we all know that. Right, Pippa, I'm going to lunch and so is Cathy, we have some things to discuss. See you at two-ish, damn, I have to see the auditor then, don't I?"

"Fraid so," replied his secretary.

"Oh shit!"

"No, I took that to Neal," I said smirking.

"Watch it Missy, or you'll end up buying your own lunch!" He threw back at me.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is the Cathy

I know and love! Back in her element, scientific investigation. And it seems as if Tom is prepared to be serious about Cathy's dilemma, which would be helpful.

Not gonna make any cheap jokes about whatever that critter is. Anything that helps reduce the tree rat population is okay, in my book.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Tree rats?

That's a description used to describe the much larger American invaders, grey squirrels. Native red squirrels are tiny by comparison and nothing like so destructive. Actually I don't dislike the greys so much but perhaps that's because we don't get them in our garden eating all the stuff we put out for birds. Never seen a pine marten. They're quite rare I think nowadays but weasels and stoats are quite common and I often spot them when out on my bike.

Geoff

Tree rat!

Squirrel: A tree-climbing rat with a fuzzy tail and good PR.

No mention of color. Or size. Or location.

Pine Martin: the name sounds like a bird to me, but obviously not. The Purple Martin is quite popular, with commercially-built Purple Martin houses sold many places. They eat mosquitos and other insects, so many people put up nests to attract these useful birds. Pine Martin sounded as if it might be a relative.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Yeah, but . . .

Nothing I read in the story indicates that. The only clue I had was the name similiarity between Purple Martin and Pine Martin, so I don't think the initial conclusion I reached was all that far out in left field. How many people in the U.K. would know that the critter referred to in these parts as a "horny toad" or "horned frog" is not a member of the toad or frog families but is in fact a lizard? (BTW, they were a favorite summertime "pet" of young boys throughout the southwest United States, poor things!)

As for the pine martin, like I say, anything that reduces the tree rat population . . . ;-) (Also a favorite of young boys, serving as a handy target for the proud owners of new B-B guns all across the U.S.)

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Pine Martens

erin's picture

We have Pine Martens in the U.S., too. A slightly larger species but very similar in look and habit; they're related to fishers and sables. Ours have retractable claws like a cat and double-jointed hind legs like a squirrel so they can climb like a sunnuva. :) They need lots of pine or mixed forest, a cold climate and people who don't think they look cute as fur jackets to thrive.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Professoor Cathy I Presume [:=+)

It was nice seeing Cathy handle things at the uni again. Now I wonder where that banshee child is? Maybe she can "scare up" a few pine martens for Cathy.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Tree Rats!!! How very dare you! ;)

The letter said he was counting Red Squirrels, and gives you the latin name 'Sciurus vulgaris' The greys are the tree-rats.

Also if you're English and 'of a certain age' Cathy's referring to it a 'Tufty' would confirm it :) Red squirrels have little tufts on top of their ears, and many years ago there were some public education films about traffic aimed at children, starring 'Tufty' the squirrel. There are a lot of ex-members of 'The Tufty Club' around!

Nice episode Angharad, as usual. I don't comment enough as I'm usually an episode or two behind, and reading off-line, but the whole series is great reading and this number of parts is a real tour-de-force!

Looking forward to tommorrow's :)

Val

(I Can't Think of Anything Cute to Put in This Space!)

This logging in at the local community centre is wearing very thin. Fortunately, a friend, who is off work for a month on paternity leave helping his wife look after 'Junior', has volunteered to take a look at my defunct machine to see if there is anything to be done (that I can afford).

This is the first time I've been able to connect since last Thursday but it was great to get caught up. And I'm glad I came back. Some of the best parts were in this last batch!

Thanks again Angharad for running this particular marathon (or is it a long-distance bike race?).

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Tree Rats

Grey squirrels are common in suburbia. And they basically earn their nickname. They chew, damage houses, and rat bird feeders, your basic vermin and nuisance.

I have adopted several dogs that were abandoned by their owners. All of them had a taste for squirrel, though not much luck on the end of my leash. It was funny watching the reels sound like fishing reels as they quietly pursued their favorite snack, right until the inevitable boing.

In our gated community we

In our gated community we have brown squirrels in the front and black squirrels at the back the two groups do not get along. They have been know to fight and have staring contests. Rather like Montague and Capulet I imagine a squirrel version of Romeo and Juliet going on in the complex.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

Interesting discussion upcoming.. If Cathy advises her student on the road to SRS, Won't his/her parents make trouble for Lady Catherine ,including a lawsuit ?

Cefin