Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 274

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Flying On A Bike.
by: Super Bonz & Angharad (on a broomstick!).
part: 274 I think.

Author's note: This episode contains scenes of mental illness.

Stella and I came downstairs just as the doorbell rang, Tom went to answer it and I took Stella into the kitchen.

"Who was that at the door?" asked Stella.

"Dunno, probably someone for Tom. Do you want some tea first or do you want to eat," the veg were done except the greens, which I dropped in the pan.

"It smells delicious, shall we eat?"

"Sure, can you watch the pan a moment, while I find out if we have another mouth to feed."

She agreed, and I went and invited the doctor to dinner. He reluctantly agreed to my scheme that he came by to see her after she'd been discharged from hospital. He would also stay for dinner after Tom bragged about my cooking. I blushed and wished he'd kept his mouth shut.

"Who was it?" asked Stella as I came in to make the gravy.

"Some doctor bloke Tom knows. I don't, didn't quite catch his name, you may know him as you're in that line." I tried to sound casual and relaxed. If she thought I was trying to trick her she'd kill me, resuscitate me and kill me again.

I quickly made up a sponge mixture and poured it on top of some chopped apple, then popped it in the oven, from which I took the leg of lamb. It looked and smelled delicious.

I made some gravy while Stella whipped some cream for the dessert. When the veg was cooked I placed stuff in the dishes and put them on the heated trays on the dining table. I quickly laid the table while Stella opened a bottle of wine and poured some mint sauce into a dish. Then I took the meat through and called in the two men, asking Tom to carve.

"Ben!" exclaimed Stella, "What are you doing here?" to her GP.

"See I thought you might know each other," I said innocently.

"I'd heard you were in hospital and we got the discharge letter today, so I thought I call by and see how you were."

"A likely tale, did Cathy or Tom call you?"

"I had never met him until this evening," I blagged.

"No we have never met before," confirmed Ben.

Stella looked at is both very suspiciously. Then at Tom, who shrugged his shoulders, in a nothing to do with me gesture.

"Why the suspicion?" asked Ben.

"Oh nothing," said Stella, "I just don't believe in coincidences."

"Oh, they do happen you know...." he went on to tell her about some event he attended, I steered everyone to the table and Tom began carving the meat.

To cut a long story short, we all ate and drank far too much. Poor Simon, when he came home the cupboard was bare. I had to make him scrambled eggs on toast.

Tom and I were chatting about the survey and and Ben and Stella decamped to the lounge. She had relaxed after a couple of glasses of wine and seemed to be telling Ben about her anxieties.

Simon arrived about an hour later and thankfully he didn't want much to eat, so I made him the scrambled eggs I mentioned before. We chatted in the kitchen, him eating and me loading the dishwasher. I kept looking out in case Stella arrived as I hinted at what had happened.

Later he talked with Tom and they agreed between them to have a barbed wire attachment above the fence, right around the property, Simon was going to pay for half of it. Tom thought he knew someone who could do it quickly.

Finally Ben and Stella emerged from the lounge. "I'm going with Ben," said Stella.

"What, you eloping?" said Simon.

"No, I'm going into a clinic for a few days for some psychotherapy."

"Oh, have you packed anything?"

"I'm going to do it now," she answered.

"I'll come and help."

"I can manage Cathy."

"I know, I just want to make sure you don't pinch anything of mine." I joked and wanted to go with her in case she decided to lock herself in her room again, which of course she knew. However, she let me go with her.

"Isn't Dr Redhead going to be disappointed losing his favourite patient?" I asked.

"No, he suggested it, Ben rang him."

"Oh, as always I'm the last to hear anything."

"You've been a real sister for me," she hugged me, "I don't know what I'd have done without you."

"You'd have found a way, I'm sure. You're one of life's copers."

"Am I?"

"Yes you are Stella."

"I'm glad you called Ben."

The alarm bells rang. "Who said I called him?" I felt myself get hot.

"He did, why?"

"He's mistaken." I was lying but I felt she was probing me.

"But you did, didn't you?"

"Why would I do that?" I pretended to look in the wardrobe, "What are you taking then?"

"I know you did, and I'm going to kill you." I looked into the mirror and she was advancing on me with a kitchen knife. Her eyes looked very strange, almost as if she was possessed.

I twisted and grabbed her wrist and she wriggled and spat and swore and screamed. I wrestled her to the floor, holding on to the wrist with the knife, while she screamed at me like a banshee, writhing and kicking and scratching at me.

I kept shouting at her to stop, she was calling me all sorts of name and accusing me of, 'wanting her out the way'. Quite why, I didn't stop to ask. Finally, someone downstairs heard the noise we were making, like two cats fighting and helped me subdue her.

My wrists were scratched and I had some scratches just below my left eye. I also had a cut on my left hand, from the knife. Ben gave her a shot of something and we waited for an ambulance, Simon helping me put together a bag for her. My face and hand were stinging and I suspected my groin might need a check-up, from her kneeing me. I hoped she hadn't split any of the stitches. She sat quietly weeping in a chair.

"Are you sectioning her?" Simon asked Ben.

"Not yet, I want her evaluated, and I've arranged for Dr Redhead to come and see her this evening. I'm doing this privately, is that okay?"

"Yeah, no problem. Can she discharge herself?"

"Theoretically yes, but in practice no. It's fairly secure, but I don't want her sectioned in case it gets on her employment record, so we're keeping this informal. I suspect this is the stress of her ordeal coming out."

"Stella, I didn't want this to happen, please believe me. I love you as my sister and I want you to get well." I stood in front of her feeling so guilty.

She stared at me with a coldness in her eyes. "I hope you die."

"I'm sorry you feel like that Stella, but I still love you."

She looked away from me and I felt tears roll down my face. I knew it was her illness but I felt as if I had betrayed her, maybe I had.

The ambulance, a big estate car arrived and Stella was led out by a nurse who had come in it. She was emotionless as she left, refusing to speak or hug any of us. I felt Simon's arm around me, he squeezed my waist and I leant against his shoulder.

"I want my Stella back, Simon," I said as I burst into tears on his shoulder.

"Yeah, babes, so do I, but you did the right thing."

"She was going to stab me," I began to shake and he escorted me back into the house. "She wanted to kill me." The shock was coming out and I was shaking like an aspen leaf. Tom handed me a glass of brandy and I sipped it. It didn't really help, but I took it, until it fell out of my shaking hand and smashed on the floor.

Simon embraced me in a monster hug and carried me off to bed.

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh, WOW!

It's worse than I thought. I was hoping Stella was seeing the need to get some help. If Cathy hadn't gone up with her, I'm worried what she would have done with that knife. I mean, it's not the sort of thing you normally keep in the bedroom, so she had to have palmed it earlier with something in mind.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Double wow!

My goodness the plot has almost thickened enough to walk on.

Stonking read Ang

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Oh, Crikey! Lor’ luvvaduck!

I never expected that.

Whatever the next superlative is to STONKING (help me please, Nick!), Ang, this fits the bill.

Hugs

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Hmmm

Fan-f*****g-tastic I'm afraid is the best I can do at this time of night.

NB

:)

PS

Hope it helps

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Such A Scene Is Disturbing

Now, More than ever I want to thoroughly trounce those Russian Goons. When will we get our Stella back?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I have a nasty feeling our Stella is gone

To flip out that bad from stress unless she's on new meds and having a bad reaction or has a brain tumor tells me she's seriously disturbed.

A few days observation will hardly fix it. We are talking involuntary commitment possibly and forget about her nursing career. Was she almost bi polar or borderline schizophrenic and all the asaults and such pushed her brain chemistry into the *red*? What will poor Stella think when she comes to her senses and realizes she tried to murder Cathy? She is a HUGE suicide risk.

She may recover but the fun loving, carefree almost Bohemian woman, I fear, has died. And poor Cathy has to pay for it. More and more I think the police, Simon onand Stella's dad are not taking all these attacks seriously. My god Simon recomends Cathy write off tcrazy things as part of her working as the bank's dormouse spokesperson but they can't afford a few decent security people and alarms to protect the girls?

Ang, what next? An asteriod hitting the Earth and wiping out 90 percent of all known species?

Your are a cruel writter, Congrads. I know Itinerant will be impressed. You have earned you evil hero(ine) bashing cliffhanger award.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Don't write her off too quickly

After all, this is fiction and in fiction, they can do almost anything--including fixing what's wrong with Stella.

Well, Ang they can, can't they?

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Hmm.... so can Cathy cope with this stress?

Or is she the next one to be carted away? Simon better be a compassionate, caring boyfriend or he's worthless.

So .. next episode, Cathy has some pretty horrific dreams I suspect.

There's That Other Shoe!

Somebody else already said "Wow!" and "Crikey!", not that you hear the second one often here in North America. You're more likely to hear "s**t!" So, "S**t!", that was **scarey**! How do you do that, Angie?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Down here

You'd be more likely to hear "Oh, S**T!". Or a very heartfelt "DAM*!!".

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Waaaaaahhhh.

Watching Stella fall appart like this is heart rending. After all of the trauma she's been through, it's not surprising (there are those that bend but don't break and others that don't bend, but do break. Some of the strongest being in the latter category.). I do hope you'll allow Stella to eventually return to some form of normalacy.

Tom's house is BIG, but I'd no idea it was sooo big that he, Simon and Ben couldn't hear Cathy screaming and them fighting.

Thanks for a thought provoking episode.

Annette

Wow...

it's already been said so far but just... wow..

I've enjoyed this story daily since I started reading (about pt 50) and loved every minute of it, even if I haven't commented before (sorry).

you have an amazing talent for writing Ang, this whole story so far has just been a roller coaster ride and as you've gone on I've got more and more attached to the characters in it, especially Stella!

I don't know if this is just me being silly or a true testament to your writing skills but I read this part a hour or so ago, just before going to bed and I can't get to sleep. I'm just lying there in the dark and I kept having these images in my head of Stella with her blank eyes and the knife and.. *shudder*
I've never been affected THAT badly by a story before.

So well done Ang another great chapter! and as pathetic as it may sound, I'm pretty sure that if we don't end up getting the old Stella or at least some form of normal Stella back eventually, I'll honestly be morning her loss.

tabby

Oh... crap

kristina l s's picture

These last two were tough reads. Stella is not Stella at present and we can only hope they can put humpty together again. It will be very hard for Cathy to trust her after this too, no matter how understanding or forgiving she might be. There was no hint of suicide, this was pure, 'you betrayed me now you die' and that little act will spiral about for a while. Putting a bunch of bullets, or arrows, in several Russians is not going to fix this one in a hurry. Tempting though it may be.... Hoo boy.

Kristina

Too right . . .

It will be interesting to see where this goes from here.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Agreed

I'm really worried about Stella, these last two chapters have been pretty rough emotionally/psychologically, and Stella actually trying to attack Cathy with the knife shows just how badly affected she is by the recent events.

I hope that Stella is able to make a complete recovery, but there is just as good a chance that this could be very long term.

Yeah, what *he* said,

Nick! I totally agree

After all, this is fiction and in fiction, they can do almost anything--including fixing what's wrong with Stella.

You can't do that Angharad! Not to Stella. You're turning her into a schizophrenic paranoid. Oh mighty Ang you have the power. Make her whole again, please don't let her suffer.

Jo-Anne

Bonzi DO something!

Oh.....

KevSkegRed's picture

......Sh*t. Poor Stella & poor Cathy too.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Stella

Please bring my Stella back in some form of her normal self

I really fell for her & role she's played as big Sis to cathy

OH YEA i'm also one of her defenders back in the beginning of the story where every ones was almost wanting to hang her by her thumbnails cause she was pushing Cathy's boundries hard. but, as the story line has shown consistantly, she knew it was in cathy's best interest to develope quickly or cathy would never would have.

my opinion

I am totally speechless.

Those last two chapters. Wow! All these comments and feelings about a fictional character that is loved by me and all these other folks, a true testament to a writer. Ang you have me crying and its not the first time and probably not the last.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

C'mon Stella again, you don't

C'mon Stella again, you don't like do you Angharad?
Look at what you're doing to us.

Cefin

I'm so glad

that you didn't just breeze through the PTSD episode, and have it be solved in a day or two. The reality of it is that PTSD is a very stubborn thing to deal with and it takes some hard work on both the part of the ones treating the patient and the patient herself. I worked for some time with Vietnam Vets when they were first starting to treat PTSD, helping to establish one of the first residential treatment houses in the USA. I love how you are describing the way Stella is manifesting her own PTSD symptoms, they are very realistic, especially on how they can turn on a dime and just go off. Thank you!