Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 252

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Bonzi ap Angharad.
part:252.

I drove home and sure enough, there were two strange men there wearing a police badge over otherwise ordinary clothes. One was in a hoodie and jeans, the other was wearing jacket and trousers.

I asked if they were armed, they didn't actually answer me, saying they were there to help me deal with any phone calls. I wasn't sure if I found it reassuring or not.

My phone bleeped to denote a text message.

'We will kill the woman unless you release our friend. You have 24 hours.'

I realised they didn't do text speak. I wondered if they understood it.

"What do we do now?" I asked the police.

"You need to play for time."

"So they can kill her?"

"They won't."

"If they do can I sue you for wrongful advice."

"I don't think so."

"How about I tell them their man is very sick in hospital?"

"okay, but let me see it before you send it."

'Your friend is very ill in hosiptal. Fractured skull. He can't be moved.' I wrote it in full, just in case.

With the police agreement, I sent it. We waited for some time before the reply came back.

'Release him or she dies.'

"That is brief and to the point," I said before wanting to go berserk, preferably with a group of Russian low lifes. I wanted to write back and threaten them, but I knew it would only inflame things. I so wanted that bow in my hands and a thug stood in front of me.

One of the coppers came back from talking to the superintendent. "Tell them you're doing all you can."

So that was what I wrote, 'Doing all I can, please be patient.'

Back came the response, '23 hours'.

"Why don't you lot know where these people are?" I said aggressively to one of the coppers.

"Same reason you don't."

"I thought you had informants all over the place."

"Not when it comes to the Russians."

"Why?"

"Because they have a mean streak the size of the equator."

"So we need to kill them all then."

"You seem rather aggressive for a woman, if you don't mind me saying so."

"If they'd taken someone you love, wouldn't you be a bit pissed?"

"Yes, but I'm not sure I'd necessarily want to kill them."

"This is the third run in I've had with them. If they were all dead there wouldn't be a fourth."

"Couldn't they be saying the same to you?"

"They probably are, but we need to get it in first."

"This is a civilised country not the Wild West."

"If it was the Wild West, I could have got myself a gun and shot them."

"You'd still have to find them."

"Oh I'd find them all right, and kill them."

"They might kill you."

"Everything has risks."

"Miss Watts, there is risk taking and there is recklessness bordering on stupidity. Please we do have experience of dealing with hostage situations."

"With the Russians?"

"No, not with Russians exactly."

"Gee whizz, that really inspires me."

"We'll get them, don't you worry."

"So will I, so don't you worry."

I left the room, "Miss Watts," was called after me. I ignored it.

"Cathy, please don't do anything silly, you could prejudice our efforts and put Lady Cameron at extra risk."

They were right of course but I was so angry all I wanted to do was bomb a gulag or something. How the hell was I going to stay sane while they had Stella? I couldn't settle, I couldn't sit nor lie. I certainly couldn't sleep yet I felt exhausted. It was awful.

Henry phoned me, "Hello Cathy darling, this must be awful for you."

"It is Henry, I am so worried and so angry. I feel like going to the hospital and killing that big ape."

"You can't."

"I know, but I'd like to."

"You can't."

"I know that, it would be criminal."

"You can't."

I was fed up with this, I knew I couldn't, I'd admitted as much. "Why can't I?"

"He died about an hour ago."

"What! Oh no! What are we going to do?"

"We have a plan."

"I'm glad someone does."

"This being dealt with at the highest level, please don't do any Girl Guide stuff to mess it up, will you darling, no matter how angry you feel."

"Are we going to get her back?"

"I hope so."

"Poor Henry, this is your daughter we're talking about. I'm sorry if I've sounded off a bit."

"Yes it is my favourite girl, but I'm talking to my next favourite one."

"Henry, you old sweet talker," I gently chided him whilst blushing.

"Keep your pecker up ..."

"I can't Henry, it's been removed, remember?"

He roared at my interruption. "You silly girl, and you are one now, congratulations."

"Thank you, but please go back to talking to your Russian friends and find them."

"How did you know about that?"

"Simon told me a long time ago. I had hoped it would keep the numbers down being preoccupied with each other."

"So did we, however, we'll find them and very soon."

"Is Simon with you?"

"No he's at Heathrow with MI5 officers, can't say anymore."

"Tell him to be careful."

"I will when I see him."

He rang off and I didn't know if I felt any better or not. At least it seemed that someone was doing something about it and I hoped they were more advanced than Henry could tell me.

Surely someone in Russia must have communications with the lot over here, someone must know. Why can't we find out from there and then go and get them.

Wish that it were so straightforward. I suppose if they stormed the building, assuming they're in one, the thugs would kill Stella or she could get shot in the cross fire. Oh it was too bad, I wanted to do something but I couldn't.

I changed into jeans and a sweater, with trainers on my feet. I hoped I was better dressed for action. My hair was tied back in a pony tail and that was clipped flat to my head. I was getting ready for a fight, just in case.

Tom eventually came home and we hugged. My phone kept receiving texts reminding me it was 22 hours, then 21 and so on. The police had a machine which intercepted the calls and texts and they took over replying to them.

I was to be available in case they actually phoned to speak to me. I wondered why they couldn't use a woman copper instead, but they said it was in case they put Stella on the line, she'd notice a difference and then things could go wrong.

That night, I tossed and turned. I lay on the bed fully clothed in case they needed me. I was up at six, having slept maybe two hours. I felt awful but my adrenalin was keeping me going.

At eight thirty, my parcel arrived. I told them it was scientific equipment and took it up to my bedroom to assemble. It felt good and the pull was about right for me.

I went out to Tom's garden and squeezed through the hedge, then sneaked up to the nearby woodland, where I practiced for an hour. I hadn't lost any of my previous skill. We had an archery club not far from us in Bristol, I used to target shoot quite regularly and with a compound bow did very well. I could certainly hit something man sized from about 50 yards.

They were target arrows, the only sort you can get in the UK unless you make your own heads. I wondered about modifying them but decided against it in the end. If I hit someone with one of these it would take them down and maybe even kill them. Silent and deadly.

I recall learning that in the Napoleonic wars, the object was to cause your opponent to flee the field not kill him. So they used canon which made lots of noise and created havoc, plus muskets which did the same. Apparently, if they wanted to kill each other, they'd have used longbows. During the frequent Anglo-French wars, the English longbowmen could release an arrow every six seconds and fire it 300 feet or more. It was a rain of death. Hence at Agincourt, they destroyed the flower of the French aristocracy in a few hours.

Did I want to rain death upon my enemies? Part of me wanted to, I knew it was pathetic but that was how I felt. I just wanted to get Stella back safe and well and neutralise the threat so it couldn't happen again. If that meant killing people, I would consider doing it, in theory anyway.

This dilemma was gnawing away at me, I was a liberal humanitarian at heart, I didn't want to give way to baser human emotions. I liked to think that things are resolved by talking, by politics not warfare, yet here I was preparing to possibly kill someone. Someone had died already, how, I don't know. Could I have killed him with one of the kicks, or did Pippa, or was it something else? Hell, I could be a killer. I just made it to the loo when my stomach evacuated its contents upwards and very rapidly. I had to admit to myself, I didn't really have the stomach to kill.

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy & Archery

Makes me think that she is part Hobbit. But that death is a mystery. But the Mafia is not responsible because they are tormenting Cathy. If they have hurt Stella, Cathy will see RED and show no mercy at all. Please Angharad, do not let Stella be hurt.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Probably English actually

I hope it doesn't upset Ang, but at one time, it was illegal for able-bodied men not to be able to shoot a bow. Perhaps she'd got some "olde English" in her!

NB

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Toxophily rules OK

As originally a native of Nottingham, Robin Hood used to roam in my neck of the woods - now who would have thought Cathy would try to emulate him? As a liberal humanitarian myself I don't think I could kill anyone but when push comes to shove and it's a loved one at risk, who knows? This story is getting a bit wild but it's so entertaining I'll forgive the author :)

Geoff

Cathy goes Robin Hood

I like the Hood part at the end because in the Hood civil rules don't apply and can actually get you killed.I'm sure these type of bad guys don't play around.We have Russian Mafia as well as ex mexican army special forces in gangs and messing about here in the states.I consider the act of kidnapping equal to or the same as an act of terrorism (just ask the familys of the victims)and I believe a similiar response is appropriate.In the military I specialized in urban warfare,terrorism and counter terrorism.The best and most effective way to deal with terrorist is to kill them even if it means suffering some collateral damage.If you have a civilian plane full of victims and a terrorist hijacker would you shoot it down or let it fly into a building or some other area where more victims can be made.I like Stella but if she has to die to send a message that this type of behavior won't be tolerated then so be it.Hopefully that won't happen and some way of getting the bad guys while leaving her safe will happen.Good writing but kill the bad Ruskies allready.Amy PS not all Russians are bad

Understandable reaction

Cathy's reaction to the thought of possibly having killed someone is in keeping with what we've seen of her character. I'm sure Pippa will be in a similar state. One thought though, Cathy could probably use non-lethal means to subdue an opponent. In addition to the night vision gear, shouldn't Tom's department have access to tranquilizer dart guns for bringing down and tagging larger animals? Cathy could use one of those with a clear conscience. They aren't ideal though as they don't incapacitate someone instantly.

Definition of a new gun owner

Old joke from years ago. Know what a new gun owner is? That's a liberal who's been mugged. Cathy has been 'mugged' repeatedly, her anger is understandable. Talking things out requires that both sides participate, something that criminals don't usually do.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Hmmmm. MI-5; Henry; Dead Crook...

... A tangled web you weave Angharad. Quite a tangled web.

Interesting that a married man's favorite girl is his daughter and second favorite his "future" daughter-in-law. What about that "trophy" he's married to? Or is she just that, a "trophy"?

Well, it'll be interesting seeing how you fix things up over the next few days.

Thanks, Annette

I would have to believe that

I would have to believe that the British police, especially MI-5 would have known locations of the Russian Mafia members and would have them under constant surveillence due to the problems they create. In the day and age of terrorism, this seems to be especially so. Cathy is acting very much like most people who consider themselves "Liberal" would act in similiar situations. Every person is BOTH conservative and liberal at some time in their lives due to circumstances playing in their lives. Cathy not only wants revenge, she wants and is willing to inflict pain and bodily injury on the perps. Perhaps, she should consider another occupation and that is teaching others how to defend them selves. J-Lynn

Cathy's humanity is showing

I was a bit surprised that the cops didn't accompany Cathy home, that some who she didn't know met her at Tom's. Only badges? I think that, if I'd been her, I'd have been really skeptical of their identity. How difficult would it be to just get a badge and impersonate a cop? Am I just being paranod?

Thank you, Angharad, for being realistic about the ramifications of a severe head trauma. I'm tired of the movies when someone gets shot or otherwise severely damaged, but is up running around like an Olympian in the next frame. Not happy the bloke croaked, but not shedding a tear for his ilk, either.

I think I can empathize with Cathy's confusion - but only to a certain extent. I am an easy going guy, not violent in my tendencies at all. In principle I'm against the death penalty and, although I've never run from a fight, I've been able to settle my disputes non-violently. A few years ago, however, I was visiting friends when the report came over the radio that the killer of a local child had been caught. The killer turned out to be someone relatively well known and trusted in the community. The girl had been a similar age to my friends' daughter, and the look on his face said it all; I knew he'd have killer the murderer if he'd had the opportunity to do so. I also knew that, if the opportunity had come up, I'd probably have helped.

One of the things that we learn about ourselves as we grow older is that we are capable of a great deal more than we ever imagined. The downside of that is realizing that not all of our newfound capabilities are ones about which we are especially proud.

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Dead?

Or maybe it is a ruse cooked up by the secret squirrels Dad in law is wurking with. The skull is designed to protect the brain from just this sort of impacts. fracturing it is possible and maybe even likely depending on the force applied, and he may very well have died. But the chance is still there it is a ruse and he is being sidelined. trauma units are usually very good with these, depending on how hard they wish to work on them, but since they are in medicine, I would think they would try even if it is the bad guy.

And its hilarious that all she has to do is walk in and grab night vision stuff, and other goodies, while the officers assigned to protect her will never even see the stuff as available equipment, much less issued and handy.

21 Dozens

This is still very compelling I feel so bad for Cathy as i had to deal with my Hubby being deployed during Gulf 1 and 2 not hearing anything for weeks every so often because they were on missions. The really terrible thing is he can still not talk about his missions and I know he wants too.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

At this point

She should not be talking to those police, but I think their superiors should be talking. Fact is, they have screwed up, and then tried to make her somehow responsible. The press would have a field day (after this is over).

Comment

Well having read the first 250 or so parts & being threatened by Bonzi for not commenting yet , here goes....... First off this is one of the best well told that I have had the pleasure of reading... I love,love, love it ... as for her feelings on violent death of others may God bless her for hers; Being a senior citizen and an old vet, I still see a lot of faces every night as I attempt to sleep, I wish that on no one. Keep up your good work & may God bless

Papa

Good, Cathy took my advice.

Good, Cathy took my advice. Remenber, big, scary guy should have been there from the start at Cath's apartment.
Well, thinking of that old movie with Richard Attenbough, Lulu, and John Wayne, The duke needs to be supplied with a weapon.
The Viscount is working on it.

Cefin