Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 346

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Mauling With Some Mice.
by: >^^<
part: 346

I was just about to leave for work, using my bike as per my plan to get fitter, when Tom stopped me. “Be careful, some cyclist using the cycle path got attacked last night.”

“Any reason why?” I asked.

“Not that I know of, I heard it just now on the radio.”

“Whereabouts?”

“Down near the harbour.”

“I’ll stay clear of there anyway, too many lorries.”

“See you in the office, I need you to look at a submission from York about the mammal survey.”

“Fine, what time?”

“See Pippa when you get there.”

“Okay.” I left him to lock up as he would theoretically get there first. However that depended upon the traffic and it had been awful recently. I sped off on my Scott and had done over a mile before his Land Rover passed me, belching diesel fumes.

A mile later, I passed him in the grid-locked traffic, even managing to bang on the side of his car as I passed. “Bloody cyclists,” followed me down the road, I nearly fell off laughing.

The grumpy security guard must have made some enquiries about me, because when he saw me pushing my bike through the corridor, he said nothing, in fact he removed himself, so I didn’t have to deal with his snotty banter, which suited me fine.

When I got to my office, there was a bunch of flowers from Sophie waiting by my door. Thankfully, they were in a plastic wrap thing which also contained a bulb of water at the bottom. I decided they could stay in my office instead of me taking them home. I locked up my bike and changed quickly in the loo.

I went up to Pippa’s office, which was bigger than mine! “Grumpy wants to see me sometime this morning.”

“Cathy, I think you should show some respect to your elders and betters, Professor Agnew, deserves…”

“Lots of respect, he’s worked hard at being a grumpy old sod, now when should I see him?”
“He’s free at eleven.”

“Nah, I’ve got a tutorial then,” I glanced at my Blackberry.

“Could do twelve, but he’ll be wanting his lunch.”

“Hopefully it won’t take too long.” Famous last words, I thought to myself as I said it.

“Don’t you two ever talk to each other?” said Pippa.

“All the time, but we don’t talk shop, if we can help it. Any chance of a cuppa?”

“Go and make yourself one then,” she frowned at me and I skipped off to the ‘kitchen’ and switched on the kettle. It always tastes better with fresh milk than the UHT stuff, I have to buy, but they have a fridge I don’t —not since health and safety found my milk in one we use for storing dissections. So, it tasted of formalin, you can get used to anything in time.

I checked my emails, only work ones, mostly from Des. Then a text, from Stella. ‘Doing gr8, can come home 4 wkend. Can U get me. Stella.’

I immediately sent one back. ‘U bet. Wot time? C.’

A little while later my phone beeped indicating a text. ‘Fri eve, N E time. Let me no, when UR on UR way. Stel.’

I replied, ‘OK, C U fri. LOL C.’

That was something to look forward to, I sent a text to Simon who offered to take us out to dinner. Can’t think why I love that man, hee hee.

After my tutorial, which was very tedious. How can someone who can hardly spell, ‘amoeba’, let alone ‘meiosis’ or even ‘haploid’ be doing a degree? I suspect they have difficulty spelling their name. Of course they always mention dyslexia, yeah sure, yet I’ll bet they can spell Stella Artois! If they used some punctuation it would be easier to read, but one long sentence lasting four pages. I gave it back to them as unreadable, it isn’t my job to teach them English.

“Who’s stolen your lollipop?” said Tom when I went into his office.

“David Flynn, that boy can hardly read and write. How did he get any A levels?”

“He got them, and we accepted him and we get funding for him and he owes a lot of money, I suspect, like they all do.”

“Wouldn’t he have been better suited to becoming a carpenter or a plumber?”

“Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to enrol or die!”

“Ha ha, you’re not teaching the morons. Stuck away up here in your ivory tower.”

“Well if you hadn’t pissed off the Dean, you might have had one foot on the ladder yourself. Still, to business.” He passed me a letter from York University and some submissions they had made about deer on the Yorkshire moors.

“This looks very good, I wonder if we should put them in touch with Exeter, because this should work on Dartmoor too.”

“I did think about that, but I’ll leave it to you to sort out. I have my lunch to think about.”

“Oh, meeting the Dean are we?” I asked sarcastically.

“Yes, pity you and he don’t like each other, you could have come too.”

“I’m quite happy with a sandwich from the canteen, it also helps me to keep my weight down.”

“What weight, Jesus, girl, if you get any thinner, you’ll be worse than Stella.”

“Oh, that’s a point; she’s coming home for the weekend. I have to go and get her, so I wondered if I…”

“If you shot off early, like after lunch you mean?”

I smiled at him, “You are so kind as an employer.” I kissed him on the cheek and dashed out before the startled look on his face turned to, ‘NO.’

I’d had time to clear my Friday afternoon, I’d only had one tutorial, which I switched to the morning, so things were looking up.

I looked at my flowers and smiled, they were really nice. I sat eating my wholemeal roll, although the cheese salad would have been suitable for lactose intolerant diners, there was so little of the Cheddar, when there was a knock at my door.

I shouted, “Come in,” then coughed as the lettuce, which I suspect was really cactus, stuck in my throat.

The door opened and in walked Sophie. “I wanted to say thanks for your help on Friday.”

“You did, already,” I nodded to the flowers.

“I hope you like them.”

“I do, very much, thank you.”

“I’ve done my assignment,” she handed me her folder.

“Thank you. I’ll see you on Friday morning then?” This was her usual tutorial time. I’d now have to find time to mark her work before then.

“Yes.” She left and I went back to my search for the missing Cheddar.

The rest of the week went in a blur, Des came down and built a set for filming the baby dormice. He showed me the rushes and they looked as if he was in the woods somewhere, this would be especially so once he edited in some shots of trees and things which would distract the viewer.

I was so busy, that Friday morning was on me before I knew it. Instead of riding, I drove in and was ready then to go and get my favourite sister in law. So a quick lunch after my two tutorials and I set off for Sussex and Stella’s clinic.

I listened to the radio as I went along. Radio Solent, the local BBC station had a good signal and it was background noise. The news came on at 2.00 pm and the top story was, ‘Cyclist attacked near Portsmouth University.’

My stomach flipped as I listened to the report of some young woman who was hit off her bike and kicked several times by a man, who was described as six feet tall, thickset and wearing a hoodie. The attacker escaped through Victoria Park. No reason was given for the attack.
#######################
Comments are allowed, in fact they are encouraged. I'm using them to teach Bonzi to read - he finds the back of a Whiskas can rather too easy now, so it's your comments. 8)

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

For Bonzi

I've a copy of War & Peace round here someplace, it's a multi-mb pdf, I'll pop it off to you later. Just watch your inbox for the next couple of days as it comes in. ;-)

Can't say I'm happy with the turn of events, I can see you are threatening to put Cathy in harm's way. Of course, maybe she can save the Dean from being kneecapped by the thug; even if he does have an effective solution to the bicycling problem. Danged fools, riding through traffic bashing cars. Suppose the solution seems a bit rash, even so. I'm content with a carefully-timed open car door, "Oh, sorry! Didn't see you cutting through traffic!" One more and I'll be an ace!

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Hel-liow Bonzi!

Hee-ow arr-rr-rr you? I don't knee-ow if I should write to yee-ow as yee-ow hurt Ang's hand.

Another good chapter, both of you. It will be nice for Stella to get out of her incarceration for a weekend. Maybe they could go to a pub and have “Stella à trois.” :)

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Nah, not possible, is it?

It couldn't be that ornery security guard, trying to get revenge? They didn't say the victims of the attacks were female. Hmmmm. In a way, I hope it's the same person doing the attacks... Might make catching him easier. But, if it IS, it's likely there'll be MORE attacks. *sighs*

Wait, could it be? No, the Dean may not LIKE Cathy, but, he'd at least recognize her. So, it's someone else.

Well, time will tell.

I hope the weekend goes as well as everyone hopes, and that Stella's not TOO much trouble when it comes time to go back when her weekend furlough is over.

Thanks for the episode. I included a few longer words in the hopes they might help Bonzi. Tell Bonzi not to worry about the spelling here though.

Annette

Hmmm

Bonzi needs to get her A levels then, eh ? Maybe you can cut her teeth on the back of a bag of Science Diet if they have it in Blighty, that is. ;).

I see Cathy is headed into danger again, man what kinda karma did she have in her previous life ? Oh Boy.

Anyway, clearly Cathy has to learn how to do the politics game better. Heck, all life is a politics game anyway.

Kim

Why Do I Get The Feeling That :-)

Cathy and Stella will confront that loon while Stella out on furlough? I think that it's time for the Dynamic Duo to save the day again, but THIS time, neither of them gets hurt.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Bike path

Hmmmmmmm.....randomly knocking bikers over and kicking them around........looks like someone else is trying to get to Cathy, and is taking on all comers until they find her. Wonder who she honked off now, or who feels slighted and is out for some revenge......Could be so many, or even some new grievance. Maybe its her old taunter from the past apt.

I thought that was TOM

... After she tapped on his car passing him...

You don't mean tht "kind old Tom" has a Mr. Hyde side too?

I'd suggest that Cathy

carry her bow while riding but it probalby isn't a suitable weapon for quick deployment. A sword might look a little suspicious and I doubt that she has access to a lightsabre. How about a baseball bat? Oops, cricket bat? Hope she doesn't get hurt. Who'd take care of Stella and Simon?

You've never seen a trained rider...

with a bow then. I've seen trained riders, both North American Indian style and Mongol style, take a bow from a secured carry position, loose a flight of arrows, then secure the bow & gallop off, and never slowing the horse... And hitting all the targets... Scary. (Let's hear it for having interesting friends!)

Janice

Bristolian Street Fighting?

It worked in the multi-storey car park...

Then again, with the speed at which Cathy rides, the potential attacker would have to be very brave or foolish to get in the way...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

346--4 Bonzi

Meow, meow, meow--hiss--purrrrrrrrr, meow, meow, meow.

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad...

Comments, Allowed or Encouraged

Well I hope this helps poor bonzi to read and maybe correct punctuation. Still luv the story but have miles to go before I sleep or "pennods" to read before I catch up? your silly a-MARE-can reader, 'Sika ps only 201 to the finnish line{cyslist analogy maybe?}

Bonzi's reading list

LibraryGeek's picture

Hopefully Bonzi's been reading the comments, but here's another one just for him.

1114 to the finish line, but they keep moving it further away!

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

So thats why 8 out of 10

So thats why 8 out of 10 cats prefer Whiskas... they know whats in it!!!Kirri

Cat Dancing

Way back when Computers had the monitor and keyboard as a single unit (early 80) I had a cat that liked to chase the cursor. His back paws were on the keyboard, and as he moved to catch that pesky little line he would move across the keyboard, making the cursor move even more and faster. This of course fed back to the critter, and so it continued.

It was cut right until he trashed a program I had spent 8 hours writing. Dagnabit. I couldn't even use a water bottle on him.

story line

Angharad, thank You for a wonderfully written story. I am amazed at the way You are able to continue the story for so many chapters and still keep us on the edge with the story of Cathy,Simon and the others. I am laid up with severe COPD and Your work and that of other writers keeps Me going and I find Myself wishing I could still ride. Thank You so Much.

Gaby

Where are Cathy’s wallabies?

Rhona McCloud's picture

No, not the Australian rugby team but Britain’s wild wallabies. It is one thing to send Cathy details of deer on the Yorkshire moors but Cathy's speciality is rodents so she would be the natural person to take charge of their study as a wallaby looks more like a large rodent than it does to anything else in Britain.

There are large groups in Scotland, the Isle of Man and Bedfordshire, the Peak District wallabies have been spotted as recently 2009 and in 2014 the BBC reported a wallaby in Hampshire!

Maybe tired of being ignored the wallabies are going in search of Cathy?

Rhona McCloud

Assault of a woman Cyclist ??

You should switch to Friskies they use bigger words.
By now we know how our esteemed authoress thinks! Stella's on the mend, ohoh get out the sticking plaster and iodine Simon !
This makes two women bikers in two days. where's the nasty guy on a Trophy that follows her where ever she goes ?

Cefin