Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 286

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling In Love
by Angharad
part 286.

There were people standing over me and I felt incredibly sick. Some one was rubbing and patting my hand and I wanted them to stop. Others were asking me if I was alright. Clearly I wasn't.

I was helped up to the seat, where I managed to squeak I felt sick, and a nurse appeared with a papier mache receiver, like a bit cut off a giant egg box. She got it to me just in time, and I up chucked my lunch into it. What a way to spend an afternoon?

After I manged to sip some of the water I felt a bit easier. I was still pale and shaky and they didn't want to let me go, but I needed to say goodbye to my father.

I went in held his hand and kissed his forehead, he felt cold. "I'm sorry I didn't get here earlier Daddy, thank you for waiting for me, it meant a lot to me. I'm sorry that you won't be at my wedding, so I shall ask Tom to give me away, I'm sure you won't mind. I hope you'll be okay now and meet up with Mummy. Goodbye, I love you." I kissed him again and with tears running down my face, I left the hospital vowing that once I sorted out the paperwork, I'd never go back there again.

I thanked the nurses and the doctor who'd given me a quick examination to make sure I was safe to drive. I told them I was only going to my parent's house a couple of miles away.

I got out to the car and sent Simon a text. 'Dad died, please tell everyone. Going to the house. C xxx.'

I sat in the car, tears streaming down my face and I wept and sobbed for maybe half an hour. Now I was alone, with regard to my family. I know effectively I had been that way before, but there had always been the possibility that things could improve and contact re-established, which was what had happened. That couldn't happen now, I really was alone.

I would also have to sort out the funeral arrangements, just what I needed. I felt so alone, yet part of me wanted to be alone, to deal with my grief.

I was so rapt in my own thoughts, that when my phone peeped for a text message, I physically jumped, and I think I may have dripped a bit too. I wiped my eyes, and dug out my phone.

'Where r u? Tried calling Brstl. R u OK? S. xxx'

I called him. "Hi Simon, I'm okay."

"Where are you?"

"I'm sat in the car park, getting it all together for a few minutes."

"A few minutes, you texted me an hour ago."

"Gosh, did I? Okay, I'm going back to the house now. I'll call you as soon as I get there."

"You sure you feel up to it?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I'm going to get some milk and bread on the way, so give me an hour or so."

"By then I'll be on my way to Bristol."

"I'm okay Simon, honestly, I'll be alright. What about Stella, shouldn't you see her?"

"Sorted, Tom is going after work, he'll tell her about your dad. I'm leaving here in half an hour tops, I'll bring us in a takeaway, you just go and rest."

"Okay Si, love you."

"Love you too babes, see you soon."

"Si," I said anxiously.

"Yes?"

"Drive carefully."

"I'm flying down."

"Can I collect you?"

"No, that's all sorted."

"Okay, see you soon then."

"Bye," he made some kissing sounds and rang off.

I dithered for a further five or ten minutes before I felt organised enough to drive out of the hospital. My mind wanted to drift over all the early times, when he wasn't a bad father and I wasn't a challenging child. I wanted to go and visit some of the places we'd been to when I was young, but it would have to wait.

I managed to keep my concentration enough to get to the supermarket and I bought some bread and milk and some cereal, plus a few other things. I felt very detached from much of what was going on around me, and the woman behind me had to nudge me in the back as I was away in a daydream when the checkout cleared.

"I'm sorry, I was miles away," I said and blushed.

"You okay luv, you look as if you've been crying."

"My father has just died in hospital. I got there just in time."

"Oh poor luv, no wonder you look distracted. You gonna be alright?"

"Yes, my fiance is on his way from London."

"Oh good. How's your mother taking it?"

"She died last year."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Thank you."

I paid for my purchases and rushed out to the car. Driving off in a hurry, I came within inches of an accident. I didn't see him, he blared his horn and shouted at me and I burst into tears. A moment later, the woman from the checkout came past and tore into him for picking on me.

"You leave her alone, her father has just died."

"She nearly drove into my bloody car."

"I'll bet you was speeding."

"No I wasn't, you stupid old trout, why don't you mind your own business?"

I wanted to crawl under a stone and never come out again as the row went on and on. Finally, someone came up behind the man and beeped at him, so he left me to argue with the new arrival. I managed to reverse away and drove home. I could have done with some more fuel, but I didn't feel up to getting it, maybe tomorrow.

Somehow, I managed to get home safely and after putting away my purchases and checking the fridge for out of date stuff, I made some tea and then fell asleep before drinking it.

Simon was standing before me when I opened my eyes. Sleepily, I said, "How did you get in?"

"The back door was open. I hope you opened it?"

"Erm yes, I had to put some stuff in the bin. I must have forgotten to lock it."

"Good job you did, as you weren't answering the front door."

"What! Oh, Si, I am sorry," and with that I burst into tears.

He sat alongside me on the sofa and hugged me, holding me until I stopped crying.

"I'm sorry you lost your dad."

"I'm being such a fool," I started crying again.

"It's okay."

"Thank you," I sniffed. His response was to hug me tightly and I relaxed into his body and felt myself going off into another sleep. I was so tired, I couldn't resist and with his strong arms around me I felt safe, safe enough to let go.

"Cathy, you'll have to move, my arm's going to sleep," said the voice, Simon's voice.

"Erm, what?" I opened my eyes and realised I'd been asleep again. It was well dark and we had no lights on.

"My arm's got pins and needles, I need to move it and I need a pee, as well."

"Yeah, okay." I leant away from him and felt the cool air rush in where he'd been holding me. I yawned, it was well into the evening by the look of things.

The light from the hall, as Simon switched on the kitchen lights, showed me the clock. It was after eight. I struggled to stand up and then to stagger out to the kitchen and put the kettle on. I needed a wee too. I sighed, it was not a good day.

After going to the loo, I made the tea while Simon phoned a take away delivery place. He wanted pizza, I don't actually like them that much, but that's what he ordered. I wasn't very hungry anyway, so it hardly mattered. I realised I had to start telling people he was dead, like his horrible sister, Doreen.

I got out the family phone book and looked up the number. She lived in Swindon so at least she wouldn't need to stay overnight. I tapped in the numbers, it rang and she answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Auntie Do?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"It's Cathy Watts."

"Who?"

"Derek's daughter."

"Who, I thought he had a son?"

"Yes, I was I'm now his daughter."

"You what?"

"I was Charlie, I'm now Catherine, Okay!" I stressed the final word.

"Don't you shout at me, you sound just like a woman."

"Auntie Do, I am a woman."

"But you're Charlie, how can you be?"

"It's a long story which I don't have time to go into now. I rang to tell you Dad has died."

"What?"

I was beginning to think she was going either deaf or daft. " Dad died this afternoon, he'd had another stroke."

"Probably you doing this pretending to be a girl business."

"Yeah, probably, I'll let you know when the funeral is."

"Well if you're going to be there, I hope you'll be properly dressed."

"I will if you will." I was growing tired of her nonsense.

"There is no need to be rude young man."

"You don't get it, do you, I am female now, I had an operation."

"What one of those sex change things?"

"Yes."

"No wonder poor Derek is dead, worried himself to death with your antics. I hope you are suitably ashamed of yourself."

"No I'm not, Dad knew all about it and was quite supportive of it. He even offered to pay for it." Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, I thought.

"He what?"

"I have to go, I'll send you the details of the funeral as soon as I know them, bye." I put the phone down.

"Difficult rellies?" said Simon holding a pizza box.

"My father's only sister, they couldn't stand each other. Seems she's about the only living human who isn't aware of my new status. Obviously the BBC doesn't reach Swindon."

"If she calls, let me deal with it." Simon smiled at me.

We'd not long finished eating and were having a glass of wine when the phone rang, Simon was up and answering it before I could move.

"Hello, Watts family residence, Simon Cameron speaking. Who? Charlie? And who might you be? Arthur Porter, Doreen's husband. No I'm afraid Lady Cameron is indisposed, can I be of assistance?"

I sat listening to the one side of the conversation wanting to blush and laugh at the same time. Simon was being so polite but so superior at the same time.

"Who am I, I'm her husband, Lord Simon Cameron, can I help? No she never was Charlie, it was a mistake which has now been corrected. Of course she can have children, if not my father is going to be very disappointed. Of course he knows, the whole world knows, we did an announcement on television several months ago, you didn't see it? She's one of the foremost experts on mammals in the world, the country's leading authority on European dormice. My wife is a delightful and gracious lady and I'm sure we'll both look forward to seeing you at the funeral. As soon as the arrangements are completed we'll get her secretary to notify you. No not the butler, he only deals with household aspects, her secretary cum personal assistant would deal with that. Very well, good night to you."

He came and joined me at the table, "Did you get the gist of that?"

"Lady Cameron is indisposed," I said before being consumed with giggles. When I stopped, I said, "It's a pity Daddy wasn't here to listen to that, he'd have been wetting himself, she is so stuck up. So to hear a real life peer talking down to them when they thought they were going to cause trouble, is quite funny. Thanks for sorting that out."

He winked at me, "I quite enjoyed it, anyone else I have to irritate?"

"No, not tonight, you can cuddle me instead."

"That sounds even better." He stood me up and carried me into the lounge and sat me on his knee. I cuddled into him and he held me in his arms. Once more I felt safe, even if it was a sad sort of happiness.

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Life's Ups and Downs

Wish I could give Cathy a hug, suppose Simon will have to stand-in for all of us. The bit at the end was quite nice, I'm proud of Simon. But does it mean the two of them will have to get married before the funeral? The annoying aunt and her husband sound like the type to check into Simon's story and make a scene.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Ah, Karen, but ...

Do they have outstanding loans Simon's bank could buy up and forclose on?

--Bank guy twirls Snidely Whiplash mustache gleefully --

NEVER piss of an officer of a major financial institution particularly in a country still so deferential to the peerage. A word here and there and Aunty ass*ole -- she must be a hell of a jack*ss if Daddy thought she was bad -- and Aunty will be without insurance coverage, a job, her home and more with anyluck.

Not that I would be vindictive but hurt Cathy in her terrible current state? Kill the Aunty! Maybe Spike can bite her and give her some rare incurable virus?

I need a lie down.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I always knew Simon had it in him

That conversation was great. Evidently Simon shares something of her wit with his sister. It doesn't show often but it sure did there. Nice end to a rather difficult chapter.

A nice twist to a sad time for Cathy

It was nice how you or is it Bonzi chose to write in Simon being so supportive.Well done and it shows maybe with the support of friends and family she can get thru the rough spots.Amy

Cathy & Simon Are Quite A Pair

Now we have her Aunt Doreen to contend with. I can imagine what George would do if he met her.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nice "upbeat" ending there...

It would have sooo been nice actually SEEING the person on the other end of the phone when Simon was talking to Cathy's uncle...

I DO hope that the attitued of Cathy's aunt HELPs her realize that her daddy was being VERY supportive there at the end.

Annette

A Problem

Cathy is going to be very sad on her wedding day. Who is going to give her away ? I suspect it will be Tom I betcha.

Kim

Cathy Needs To See That Lady Pastor Now, She Was Always Able To

Give Cathy the wisdom that she needed. Cathy needs to grieve and mourn over her parents. She has been under a load that would break others. Now she needs help to overcome her many burdens and once again stand tall.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Simon is Soooo Irritating

And absolutely fabulous!

I would loved to have been a fly on the wall when that dipstick realised he really was Lord Cameron!

:)

I'm a happier puppy now.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Almost

The old Simon, only on Cathy's side. Those people aren't going to realize what hit them. What?

Aah, where was Simon(Simone)

Aah, where was Simon(Simone) when I had to make calls.
You keep right on resurrecting Simon as a good guy, we need him.

Cefin

Cefin