Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 248

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike
by Bonzi Cat & his Mum.
part 248.

We got the chores finished and shot into the hospital to see my dad. He understood Simon's need to leave quickly for the rugby. Me, it wasn't my game, but Wales had beaten England at Twickenham and from what the pundits were saying, Scotland were going to be lucky to avoid the wooden spoon. Simon was supporting Scotland, given he was supposed to be Scots. Me, I was looking forward to the bike track worlds in March at Manchester velodrome, so as far as I was concerned Wales could win the Six Nations or the World cup, we were defending seven golds in the cycling better than anyone had ever done before, yet it barely gets a mention in the papers or on the telly.

I sulked all the way home, Simon thought it was because he'd cut short the visit to see my dad, it wasn't but I didn't tell him, the guilt would do him good.

"I'm sure your dad understood how important the rugger is to me."

"I doubt it, we were barely there long enough to tell him. Do you have to drive so fast?" I managed to keep a straight face, there was enough anger about the share of air time cycling got to keep me from laughing.

"I'll make it up to you Cathy, and your dad."

"You did sort out his financial stuff, so I suppose I should be grateful."

"Yes I did, didn't I? I knew you'd see reason."

"Simon, that speed camera just flashed at us."

"I didn't see that."

"Trust me, you'll get a nice surprise within two weeks."

"What d'you mean."

"A summons for speeding."

"Wonderful, just what I need."

"I did tell you to slow down, but oh no you had to keep going."

"Shut it Cathy."

"What! You can't speak to me like that."

"I just did."

"That's it, let me out, I'll walk home."

"Cathy, this is a motorway, no pedestrians, no stopping and you can't walk sixty miles in those shoes."

This was true, but why should I humour him? I sat and refused to talk to him at all, which seemed okay with him - grrrrr!

We arrived at Tom's and I couldn't believe it, we had a power cut. It lasted two hours, after half an hour Simon drove off into town to find a pub with a tv showing the rugby. As soon as he'd gone I giggled and when I explained to Stella, she laughed too. Tom of course was out anyway probably watching it down at the students union.

I cooked for just Stella and myself. I did beef Stroganoff, there was enough for absent friends, but just us girls ate it hot. Simon had not returned by bed time and I was a little worried about him.
I had actually gone to bed when my mobile peeped to indicate a text message.

'C, 2 p'd to drive home.
C U 2moro.
S. xxx'

I was relieved but angry. For all I knew he was staying with a prostitute or some other malefactor. To some extent, I'd brought it upon myself with my sulking. I hadn't heard the score but I assumed the worst otherwise he'd have crowed about,'Bring on Wales' or some such thing, although common sense told me if Wales had stuffed England, world cup runners up, at Twickenham, then Scotland might be equally at a loss to beat them.

Like I said, it wasn't my sport, so I didn't care. Actually I did, but Simon had acted so heavy handedly, I pretended I didn't. He had lots to learn about handling me, and staying out because he got the worse for wear was not a good follow up to his first mistake. These things didn't add up, they multiplied by geometric progression (you know the way they charge for overdafts!).

I did eventually go to sleep although thoughts of my dream the night before did assail me for a while. Without Simon there, my bed felt a very lonely place. Then I got angry with myself.

"What am I a man or a mouse?" I said out loud, then after a moment's reflection decided I was neither of them. I must stop thinking in cliches.

I awoke, there was a noise. I breathed evenly and shallowly. There it was again. A rustling noise. It came towards the bed and I screamed, loudly.

Nothing happened except Tom came lurching into the room asking what was wrong. I explained about the noise. He switched on the light just as Stella arrived.

"What's going on, I heard screams?"

"Nothing, Cathy had a bad dream, thought she heard something."

At that moment I was getting out of bed to go to the loo when my foot moving against my slipper disturbed a mouse. I jumped and screamed again and Stella fainted. Fortunately, Tom caught her.

"What a pair," he said after he'd sorted her out and caught the mouse. "What will Simon say when I tell him, my rodent specialist is frightened of mice."

The problem was it was true. Dormice I could handle and did, frequently. In the wild I could cope with mice because they didn't usually surprise me. That one had and I couldn't deny it, I'd wet myself in the panic. I wasn't as bad as Stella, but then she didn't breed dormice for a living. Tom had me by the proverbials.

"How much is it going to cost me?" I addressed my blackmailer, "your silence I mean."

"Oh I haven't thought about that yet, but it's not going to come cheap."

"I didn't think for one moment it would. What about Stella?"

"Stella is excused."

"Why, because she's a biological female?"

"I thought you knew me better than that Cathy." The look he gave me was one of hurt.

"I'm sorry Tom, it was uncalled for."

"Bloody right, don't you ever accuse me of thinking of you as anything but an attractive female."

"I'm sorry." I hung my head and blushed.

"It has nothing to do with you being anything other than my rodent expert, who is apparently afraid of mice. How do you manage if you live trap things?"

"With difficulty." I answered my breathing getting more rapid as I recalled an incident where I'd trapped a rat in one of my live boxes. There had also been a dormouse in there, but the rat had killed and eaten most of it.

I'd let it go before I knew all that, realising it was too heavy for a dormouse. Had I known what had happened, I'd have drowned the rat or killed it some other way. Thankfully it didn't happen again, but if it had I'm not sure what I'd have done. Had there been a rat in my room, I suspect I'd have fainted too. I also know Tom would have killed it rather than releasing the mouse in the garden. He marked it with a felt pen first, if it came in again, he'd kill it.

Instead of going back to bed, I ended up sitting in the kitchen drinking tea while Tom regaled me with stories about his undergrad days. He was a bit of a lad by his account at least, doing awful things to women students with frogs and other doomed lab animals.

His funniest one, unless you happen to be the frog in question, was demonstrating the knee jerk reflex as an electrical stimulus of the nerve. I recalled reading about it rather than doing it. The current to get the leg to twitch is minute and comes from a battery. He connected his up to the mains.

I expected him to say, 'it jumped off the bench,' but no, it caught fire and fused the entire lab. So much for experimental work, now you can see why I prefer field work, except for the rat incident. No boiling tadpoles in test tubes or frying fruit flies, for me! I'd rather watch and count things or understand what I'm observing. Okay there's lots of time involved and sometimes the statistics can get fiddly, which is why we have statisticians to check the maths, mine can be ropey at best, chi squares and so on. Yuck!

It turned out I had to cook him sunday dinner next week. As I should probably have done it anyway, it was hardly a forfeit. I agreed to his terms and he promised only to mention that he'd helped me catch a mouse.

Simon arrived at tea time on the Monday, he looked awful. I had no sympathy, neither had his father, he docked him a day's leave for calling in sick.

When Tom told him about the mouse incident, his response was, "I hope Stella wasn't there, she fainted the last time we had one in the house."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comments please or this cat goes on strike, and you could be the target!

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bad Bonzi

Be nice, or there will be no more tins of tuna for you!

This is the second heroine today who's in a snappy mood. Sympathy pains?

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

World track champs

I have every sympathy for Cathy. All I want to know is if Bradley Wiggins retained the pursuit title, which should have happened by now, but all it mentioned on the news was trivia about 'friendly' football matches grrrr.

We use a live mouse trap and release the captured rodents into the fields down the lane. Last year we caught over 20 of the little buggers in a week or so. I was convinced it was the same ones getting back in somehow. I should have tried Tom's felt tip pen ruse - come back and you're dead :) We did eventually rid ourselves of the whole family. Probably our fault for living in such squalor. We were advised to get a cat but we felt the cure was worse then the disease and we'd rather put up with a few mice from time to time.

Thanks Angharad. I like my bedtime dose of EAFOAB

Geoff

He did (win, I mean)

Geoff,

The World Track chanpionships were on Radio 5 Live Sports Xtra this evening and they said that Bradley Wiggins did retain his title.

Gabi

PS. Nice episode, Ang. I sympathise with Cathy; I don't like rats either.

G.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Thanks Gabi

I can go to bed peacefully now. Now about that gorgeous Vicky Pendleton - as fast as she's beautiful, I hope.

Geoff

The mouse incident....

KevSkegRed's picture

...was hilarious, had me in fits of giggles. Another great chapter from one of my favourite authors, although I still miss Jamie Curtis and her lionesses, Cathy Watts and her dormice are very high on my daily reading list. Great writing as usual Bonzi. Give your mum a nudge and remind her about Jamie & Charlotte Church.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Mouse Incident

I agree, it was quite funny. Poor Stella! What I thought was even funnier was Cathy being blackmailed by Tom to not tell about it.

Hey Furball!

Sounds like we neeed some anger management classes, or sensitivity training here. At minimum some classes on how to handle and get along with people? Be nice or no more nice comments for you. How about a nice warm, bubble bath?

A message for Bonzi

If you go on strike your liable to be shipped to China where they say you taste like chicken.Your replacement will be from India where the cats are better educated and work longer hours for a lot less (lol).Great writing as usual Angharad and I hope you have Cathy give Simon hell in the next chapter for not making it home that night.Give Bonzi my regards or a hug as I'm sure he'll not understand the taste like chicken thing.Amy

Two Authors, Two Stories, and Two Women with Attitudes

It almost looks like these two Authors were talking to each other when these last two stories were posted with all the hormones working overtime.
Keep it up Guys or Girls it's great! Richard

Richard

Hey Bonzi, You Mean Cat!!

Don't you dare hurt Spike!!! There, Bonzi, are you happy now that I sent you a comment? Maybe you can get that rodent that Tom caught since it isn't a dormouse. TI am sure that if y ask nicely, you can have it. What am I saying? When has a cat EVER been nice?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Typo or Commentary??

"you know the way they charge for overdafts!"

That must be a commentary on those of us who run overdrafts from time to time -- don't you know, it's called 'bridge financing'. I always thought, in Britspeak, it was "overdraughts" or does that date from the time the currency was pounds, shillings and pence and, yes, many, many years ago, I worked in a bank. Does it really show?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

I think it's a good thing that there's...

... all this water between me and aforementioned cat.

But, I liked the episode. I've seen the "jump" at a mouse thing. Even when you KNOW it's there, if it suddenly moves in a whay you weren't expecting, a jump is NOT uncommon!

Thanks for continuing these! They're fun for me. (I do hope you're still enjoying writing them!)

Annette

Don't let them get to you, Bonzi

Over the past more than 30 years, it has ben my pleasure to be owned by 20 cats, usually just 2 or 3 at a time, but once, by 10, or was it 11? There were 6 dogs during that time, but none of them was as loving and friendly as the worst of the cats. Keep up the good writing.

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

comment on meeces.

CaroL

LOL. One of my earliest memories is of being a toddler and seeing my Mother and Aunt on top of the breakfast table in the kitchen jumping around kicking plates and glasses and cups off, and begging me to "kill it, Kill it" while this little brownish gray beasty was so confused it did not know which way to go to escape. I thought, at that tender age, that they were doing all that for my entertainment, self centered little toddler I was. My Aunt retained this unreasoning fear, and every fall I had to "seal" the house, going around looking for the smallest hole that a mouse might come through and sealing it with glue and steel wool. Oh, and put out boxes of Decon. Poor beasties. Internal bleeding is not a nice way to go.

CaroL

Ugh, mice, rats and other

Ugh, mice, rats and other such rodents are nasty. It has always amazed me to see people holding and handling White mice or rats, yet if they are gray, brown or black SHUDDER and run from them. My personal opinion is regardless of coloring, you can keep them all away from me. Guess that is what Bonzi if for to be a good mouse or rat catcher, eh Angharad? J-Lynn

On that note...

erin's picture

My brother just sent me this pic:

Humorous Pictures
see more crazy animal pics

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

CAT'S PAW

I comment, I vote, just what do I have to do to keep this kitty pleased? Your story is addicting and I cannot get enough. Must dash as there is plenty more to read. 'Sika

Mice

Now they will tear up a house. I've had the pesky creatures. No mercy! Say I.

Undercover cat?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Bonzi's casual mention of Chi^2 leads me to suspect that Bonzi or her Mum is professionally passing herself off as a statistician which nobody does unless they are really working undercover for one of the government's more nebulous offices!
Add in Cathy's unexplained but well described martial skills shown earlier and it becomes clear that the mouse under the bed is in fact a metaphorical mole....... (Well you did demand comments Bonzi - sorry if I blew your cover).

I've no idea how anyone can keep up this quality of work but I'm so glad to know that there are at least 2,000 more episodes.
Thank you Ang
Rhona

Rhona McCloud

Things that go bump in the night

Cathy has this problem with urination, Urination ? isn't that what you Brits said to Rhodesia ? Stop It ! (that was to myself) Poor rats, always misunderstood, just like lawyers. Stella feinted, I know a gal just like that, just go squeak, and she shrieks. good fun !
The dormouse Lady, scared of mice.

Cefin