Venus Cursed! - Chapter 68

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 68

How could any of this be your fault?! You're the victim here, it's your parents' fault! Mike replied.

Sarah shook her head, "No, it's my fault. I'm the freak, if I'd been normal it wouldn't have happened."

Erica stroked her hair and said, "Don't listen to what your parents said, you're not a freak. And what's normal, anyway? Everybody's different, there's no such thing as normal."

"You're normal." Sarah replied.

Erica laughed and said, "Am I? I'm immune to magic and carry around a gun with exploding bullets and a magical dagger that can cut through anything. How is that normal?"

"You're not still carrying those around, are you?" Sarah asked.

"I was, but I don't need them now that I know John is dead." Erica replied.

"How were you not normal?" Jill asked.

Sarah looked incredulously at Jill and said, "I wore my Mom's clothes!"

Jill shrugged, "So? What's so abnormal about that? They're just clothes."

"Boys don't wear dresses!" Sarah insisted.

"First of all," Jill replied, "that's a silly social taboo with no rational reason behind it. Why shouldn't boys wear dresses if they want to? How could that possibly hurt anybody?"

"But…it's wrong…" Sarah argued weakly.

"Says who, your mother? The woman who threatened to have your father rape you to get you to do what she wanted? Even if you were hurting somebody that wouldn't excuse her!" Jill countered, struggling to keep her anger from her voice.

"But Dad…" Sarah began, but Mike cut her off.

"Your dad was beating you, his word is just as suspect as your mother's!" he said.

"Honey, what did he say to you?" Erica asked softly.

"He…he said that no son of his was going to be a sissy…that it was wrong for me to wear women's clothes." Sarah replied so quietly that only Erica could hear her.

"Did you wear your mom's clothes often?" Erica asked, filling her voice with all the love and kindness she could.

Sarah nodded numbly, "I told you I'm a freak."

"And I told you it doesn't matter to me if you cross dressed. You're no freak, and I'll always love you! Please believe me!" Erica pleaded.

"But…why?" Sarah asked.

"Why should you believe me?" Erica asked, perplexed.

"No…why doesn't it bother you?" Sarah replied.

Erica looked thoughtfully at Sarah and said, "You know, a week ago it probably would have. I thought I loved you, and maybe I did, but I was focusing on who I thought you were, or could be. But I've learned a lot about who you really are in this last week, and now I know I love you! And I don't love you for who I think you could be. I love you for who you are. So no information about your past, or your family, or even the shape of your body can change that!"

"Really?" Sarah asked hopefully.

"Really!" Erica replied firmly. Sarah smiled tentatively up at Erica and Erica reached down and kissed her. Sarah nearly swooned as Erica poured all the love she felt for her into the kiss. When Erica pulled back they smiled lovingly at each other for a long moment before anyone spoke.

"You know that goes for us, too, right?" Jill said.

"Only without the making out?" Mike added, grinning.

Sarah laughed weakly at Mike's joke and said, "What did I eve do to deserve you guys?"

Mike glanced at Erica and Jill before saying, "I think just being you was enough." They nodded their agreement.

"Please promise you won't try to hurt yourself again, okay?" Erica pleaded.

Sarah looked down in shame. "I'm sorry." she said softly.

Erica hugged her closer and said, "You don't need to feel badly about it. After all, you've been through a lot recently! Just please, if you're feeling like that again, talk to us first, okay?" Sarah nodded. "Good! Now, I think it would be a good idea to take a break from all this heavy stuff. How about some pizza?"

"Pepperoni?" Sarah asked hopefully, looking up at Erica wide-eyed.

Erica smiled and then looked at Vash with a mock-frown. "Vash! Have you been teaching Sarah your tricks?!" she said.

Me?! Whatever would give you that idea? he replied innocently.

Sarah relayed Vash's response through their bond and they all laughed. "Pepperoni okay with you guys?" Erica asked Mike and Jill.

"Sure! What about you Vash, are you coming?" Mike replied.

Naturally. he replied.

"Before we go anywhere, I want you to put those weapons away Erica." Sarah said hesitantly.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, sure! Want me to leave them here, or shall we drop them off with the rest?" Erica replied.

Sarah was worried about someone finding them, so they detoured to the empty world and dropped off Erica's weapons. She left the bracers on. Once back through the portal they piled into Mike's car and drove to Sarah's favorite pizza restaurant. After ordering they took seats at a booth and Vash settled down on Sarah's lap, invisible.

"So, you guys haven't told me yet what you did to John." Sarah said.

Mike glanced at the others and said, "Uh, Sarah, we didn't do anything to John. He was already down when I got there. I would have gladly ripped his throat out if he hadn't already been stabbed in the back, but he was already unconscious when I got there."

Sarah looked at Jill, but she shook her head, "Mike got there before Erica or I. We didn't see anything."

Sarah looked down at Vash, next, though she couldn't actually see him. What about you? she asked.

I don't know, either. I was knocked out before it happened. Vash answered honestly. He had his suspicions, but he kept those carefully shielded and hidden away. He really hoped, if Tiffany was responsible, that she would show herself soon. It might do Sarah some good, and would certainly benefit Tiffany.

"There's something else I'm wondering about, though." Mike said.

"What's that?" Erica asked.

"How did Sarah get into that telepathic conversation Vash, Jill, and I were having earlier?" he replied.

"When was this?" Erica asked.

"Just after Sarah told us what her mother said to her." Mike said.

"Hey, yeah, I forgot about that! I didn't include her, so how did she do that?" Jill said.

I didn't do it, either. Sarah did that on her own. Vash said.

They all turned to look at Sarah in surprise. "When did you learn to do that?" Jill asked.

Sarah shrugged awkwardly, "I don't know. I didn't even realize I did it!"

I suspected Sarah might develop this ability eventually. I suspect that breaking down those barriers to her memories has allowed her to be more sensitive, psychically. Vash explained.

"So I'm going to be like Jill?" Sarah exclaimed.

Eventually, perhaps. You are more…private then Jill is. Your personality will likely affect your development. Your shields are already formidable, so your skills will likely remain largely defensive in nature. It's possible that the only reason you tapped into that conversation was because you were the subject of it. Vash replied.

Their pizza arrived then and conversation, verbal at least, was halted.

You know, this telepathic communication thing is kinda useful. I don't have to worry about speaking with my mouthful if I'm not using my mouth! Erica said via Sarah.

Yeah, and we don't have to worry about anyone eavesdropping, either! Having the only telepaths on the planet is rather handy. Mike agreed.

It's too bad you and Erica can't do this on your own, but it works out okay, I guess. Jill said. Their silent conversation continued throughout their meal. We should probably go back to talking out loud now that our food is gone or we'll look rather strange sitting here staring at each other. Jill said once they were done eating. They all followed her advice, except for Vash, for the rest of the conversation, with Sarah relaying Vash's words to Erica.

Soon they were back in Sarah's apartment with Sarah in Erica's lap and Mike and Jill curled up together next to them. Vash had taken the recliner for himself. "It's a good thing today's a holiday. I've already missed too much work lately." Sarah said.

"Don't worry too much about missing a few days of work. Taking care of yourself is the most important thing. But it is handy. I just wish I had more time with you before the next semester starts up." Erica said.

Sarah sank back into Erica disconsolately. "That's right, you have to go back this weekend, don't you?" she said sadly.

"Wellll…" Erica said with a grin, "classes don't actually start until a week from Monday. If you want I could stay an extra week…"

"Really?!" Sarah exclaimed happily. "You can stay longer? Please stay longer!"

"Well, okay, if you really want me to…" Erica began to say, only to be cut off by Sarah's squeal of happiness and her turning around and hugging her as hard as she could.


 
To Be Continued…
 



up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awwww, what a nice chapter!

This is called a Breaker Episode, when everyone takes a break and just relaxes. It is very nice, however, unfortunately, the world (or, rather, the universes ^_~) doesn't just go away to let our heroes relax, and it is usually a calm before a storm.

*Cue Saless chanelling Vash (with exactly the same words as in this chapter)*

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Naturally.

Or was that, Me?! Whatever would give you that idea? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

So he throws the ball to Naturally

Sorry, was channeling Abbot and Costello for a moment.

Nice chapter, our heroine seems to be through her worst mental blocks and no longer suicidal. Though the thought of Erica having to leave distressed her lots. Her reaction on Erica admitting she could stay a week longer filled her with glee. Sarah is clearly all but lost without Erica at this point.

Hum, since she can portal from one room to another why not a portal from her bed room to Erica's at University? Then they need not be separate while Erica finishes law school. They'd need to be careful who sees them to avoid unanswerable questions of how they are traveling across the country so often. And we do have the danger of the Watcher, the police detective I assume.

Tiffany needs to make contact soon or at a minimum talk with Vash. What the dagger did to John and how she can summon it is worrisome. Is it's magic a danger to her or her soon to be friends?

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Mom and Dad need to pay a price for abusing Sean. Just sex swapping them seems insufficient though with no documentation to back who they are they could be arrested as vagrants or accused of killing Sean's parents and taking over their home. Maybe with nearly all of them having telepathy they could make mom and dad relive in their minds ALL of the terrible things they did to Sean over the years, make them feel all his/her pain, mental and physical. Make them experience her attempted suicide, make them feel they want to die but not let them or maybe ...

Oh, I Am vindictive. But then I hate anyone that abuses their power or trust. Redemption would be nice but how? The hurt went on too long and was so deep. How can they possibly make it up to Sean/Sarah?

P.P.S. Hows you Kittyhawk muse?

John in Wauwatosa

I'm not a big fan of

I'm not a big fan of revenge, redemption is so much more useful. Still, that's not always possible, or practical. We'll see how that plays out.

As for Kittyhawk, I've got ideas waiting to be written out, I've just been too busy to write them! I hope to get some time in on it tomorrow, maybe. That's assuming my muse will let go of Mana that long. I might just have to finish the first chapter of it, first...

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Tiffany doesn't know

Tiffany needs to make contact soon or at a minimum talk with Vash. What the dagger did to John and how she can summon it is worrisome. Is it's magic a danger to her or her soon to be friends?

But Tiffany probably doesn't even know what happened to John after she stabbed him. His body didn't start to fall apart while she still could watch him, as far as we know.

The only people who know about this at the moment are the two "watchers".

--- Martin

Two?

I thought I only had one! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Either will do.

But it was the innocent one that I had in mind.

While Sarah and Erica really do not want to sepatate and portals are the key there are a few things to consider. Mainly - how would they give coordinates to each other? After all, Sarah needs to know when and where to jaunt.

Of course, provided their spirit link works over significant distances Erica could send a picture of her room staring at an empty wall, and Sarah would open a portal so that it would appear right at that wall. Erica would also provide information whether it is safe to open a portal. Hmmm, now that I thought of it, it is possible to use this anywhere not just in the room.

A bit of advice, however. No matter how much Sarah wants to have Erica beside her, it is much more prudent to have someone with scanning (or hiding and communications) abilities on both sides during visit, and Sarah should be the one visiting, ont Erica. That way no accidental portal flashes would occur.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

I thought as much

But the Naturally one seemed equally fitting. ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Coordinates ...

... should be easy enough: Sarah travels with Erica the mundane way and should then be able to open portals between Erica's place and her own - assuming she can open a portal to anywhere she's been before.

But there's still the matter of potential watchers.

--- Martin

Yes, that's the biggest

Yes, that's the biggest problem with the idea. They definitely don't want anyone to see them traveling through those portals! If they can solve that problem then the rest is just logistics.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Vash

Frank's picture

As I was reading Vash's part in tonight's episode..I realized his "voice" is the same as Nibbler's when Nibbler talks (on Futurama) :)

I also had the same thought about portaling to the University...since no one knows Sean there (I am guessing) Sarah could be a local friend of Erica's who is in her room a lot :)

Hugs

Frank

A lot of people seem to like

A lot of people seem to like that idea for some odd reason... ;) Nibbler, huh? I'm not sure I would have given him such a deep voice, but it does seem oddly appropriate!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Please bring

Please bring tiff in to the main story line... i feel bad for her.. she is going through crazy changes and has been a friend through out.

I would say have sarah bring jamie home too but that would be stretching it, but it did remind me of my teddy bear from when i was a kid.

Yeah, Tiffany could really

Yeah, Tiffany could really use a friend she could talk to about that, couldn't she? I rather like the idea of retrieving Jaime, but there are some issues involved there...

I don't remember ever having a teddy bear...

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

That chapter

left me with a smile on my face when i'd finished reading it, And to finish it off with something nice happening to Sarah for once, Makes me wonder just what lies around the corner for her!!! ...Still it was lovely to see Sarah coming to terms with her past and even nicer for silly old romantic me to see the love that we know is there between Sarah and Erica finally being allowed to blossom...Long may it continue...

Hugs Kirri

I know what you mean, it

I know what you mean, it left me with a smile to write it! Am I getting a rep like Anistasia now, where everyone expects something major to happen because things are going well now? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Whaddaya mean?

Having something happen is _classic_, you know! Besides, it's not that we expect things to get a sudden turn for the worse, we can as easily expect you to give them a week of nice romance, with Tiffany revealing herself in a couple days from this moment. Then they will have a nice week of rest, exploring their desires, being all mushy-mushy and gooey around each other... While you use the Watcher's storyline to show how the investigation progresses.
:highly suggestive evil grin:

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Girlify

Seems as if, once Sarah was reassured by her friends and Erica that she was not a freak, she became more "girly", so to speak. Her comments and reactions all said "girl" in no uncertain terms. I suspect Sarah is here to stay, even if Sean does return from time to time. Which is great!

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Borrowing Sarah's term, eh?

Borrowing Sarah's term, eh? ;) (I know, it's probably been used here by lots of others, too.)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Well, Now That Sarah

Is better, they can frame her parents for some crimes, such as placing the non-magical weapons in their garage as well as bits of electronics from other Earths. Maybe even masterpieces.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Getting in on the revenge

Getting in on the revenge plots, eh? There will be a visit to the parents at some point, but you'll just have to wait and see what form that will take! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Revenge vs. Redemption

I have read some stories of very well-deserved revenge, but they just left me cold. I'm definitely much more interested in redemption.

Not that I'm against killing off the bad characters. I have killed off a few baddies, myself. In most cases, killing them is more merciful than giving them what they deserve. Case in point: John Green.

And then there's the old saying that living well is the best revenge.

I would love to see the whole crew, with Sean as Sean, show up at Sean's parents and demonstrate not only that they know what happened, but that they are perfectly capable of making their lives a living hell.

Somewhere in there, they are introduced to a very happy Sarah -- and maybe they even dare to make some of their old 'freak' comments.

In the end, they are left stewing in their own juices, knowing that their daughter is prospering despite them. They can even sit and wonder when the other shoe is going to drop.

Now there's a well-served dish of revenge.

(I guess my favorite type of revenge is where the victim hurts only because he refuses to let go of his own stupidity.)