Venus Cursed! - Chapter 79

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 79

Tiffany and Mike took seats on the couch where Erica was holding Sarah on her lap again and trying to calm her nerves. "We need to do something to distract us until it's time to go." Erica said. Mike nodded and started up one of Sarah's favorite games. Soon the two of them were playing away. For once Sarah wasn't dominating the game, because she kept getting distracted when Erica ran her fingers through her hair.

Tiffany watched them and felt just as separate from them as she had when she was watching them from the shadows. She was starting to feel depressed about that and wondered if she should go, but then she remembered that she was still pretending to be watching the others. She didn't notice the shadows pulling in around her.

Sarah felt Tiffany's mood darken before she lost contact with her, so she redoubled her efforts and finally beat Mike. "Tiffany, do you want to play?" she asked. Erica gave her a quick surreptitious hug to show she agreed with what Sarah was doing.

"Uh, I don't really know this game." Tiffany said. She could tell that she wouldn't last a minute against either Mike or Sarah.

"What games do you know?" Mike asked.

Tiffany looked through the games available and shrugged, "Just the sports ones, I guess."

"I guess you're up against me then, Mike would annihilate you on those games!" Sarah said. Mike handed her his controller and they started playing. By the time Jill got back they were fully into their game, which was a close one.

Tiffany won their game, barely, and they were both tired out from it, so Mike and Erica took a turn. "So, Tiffany, what happened to your hair?" Sarah asked as they watched the game.

"I don't know. Maybe it's another Shadowkin thing. My hair just changed color on its own. My eyes, too." Tiffany replied.

Sarah took a closer look at her and nodded, "That's right, your eyes were blue. Now they're lavender. I wonder what would happen if you dyed your hair? Would it be uniform in color, or would it still shade from dark to light, only in whatever color you dyed it?"

"I don't know; I haven't tried it yet. My skin is also a lot lighter. It looks like I've never seen the sun before, now." Tiffany said.

"Oh yeah, that's right! Is that all because of this Shadowkin thing?" Sarah asked.

"That's what Vash thinks. He didn't know what kind of changes Shadowkin go through, but he knew there were some, and that they weren't severe." Tiffany replied.

"Well that's good. I'd hate for you to have to go into hiding because you changed too much." Sarah said with relief evident in her voice.

"That's why I'm against Erica getting a chrysalis." Jill said. "It would be beneficial, but the drawbacks if she changes visibly outweigh the benefits, in my opinion."

"I wonder if that chrysalis would do me any good." Tiffany wondered.

"Considering you changed physically because of your powers, I wouldn't recommend it. I think there's an even greater risk of it conflicting with your powers than there is for Mike and I." Jill replied. "Besides, even for Erica there's a chance she could change a lot from it."

"I don't know about that. In the game only one person had visible changes, and he was one of the bad guys. The way it was depicted it was like good people didn't change their appearance, but some of the really bad people did." Tiffany said.

Sarah looked thoughtful as she said, "That's right, isn't it? Only Barabas and Muro had visible differences; and Muro only in the alternate ending. In the final cut scene Konoko was normal looking, even though her transformation should have been complete or nearly so. That makes me feel a little better about it."

"Good!" Erica called over her shoulder as she returned Mike's serve. "Because I've decided to get a chrysalis!"

Jill frowned and then shrugged, "You already know how I feel about it, but it's your choice. I just hope you're all right about it."

"So you were there when I played through the game for them to see?" Sarah asked Tiffany.

Tiffany nodded, "Yes, I saw it. I followed Mike and Jill back through your portal so I could talk to Vash after that."

Jill went out to let Vash in a few minutes later, returning soon after. "So what did you find out?" she asked once she'd seated herself.

A great deal. Perhaps the most important bit of information I gleaned from his thoughts is that he does not believe in magical or psychic phenomena. Despite what he's seen, though that isn't as much as we feared. He can't really see inside the apartments from where he's set up his surveillance devices. He's been relying on Tiffany for that and spending most of his time talking to other people and investigating what little physical evidence he has. Vash replied.

"What physical evidence does he have?" Mike asked after putting the game on pause.

There's the evidence at the site of your training, but that isn't much. Thankfully the ground there is too rocky for him to find any tracks. He believes the damage was done by someone practicing with some kind of explosives, even though he's found no trace of any. He also has the remains of John. His people haven't been able to identify the material the ashes are made out of, and they have no trace of John in them. The only connection he has is a recording of John's disintegration. How he can reconcile that as a natural reaction, I don't know. Vash said.

"He has a recording of that?!" Jill exclaimed. Then, after some thought, she said, "How many copies exist of that recording?"

I don't know. Vash replied.

"Are you thinking of destroying the recording?" Mike asked.

Jill shrugged, "It might be helpful. Though we'd have to do it in a way that looked accidental or we'd just make him even more interested than he already is."

"What about who he works for?" Tiffany asked.

He works for an agency called the Federal Bureau of Investigation. I got the impression you would know what that means. Vash said.

"Yeah, we know what that means." Erica agreed. "I was hoping he was just a cop, it would have made things easier. How are we going to get the FBI off our backs?"

"I don't suppose you got any ideas about that from your time with him?" Jill asked.

I'm not sure. Apparently he's not very happy with this assignment, though he is less displeased than he was at first. John's death has piqued his interest somewhat. If we could somehow convince him there's nothing interesting going on here, or at least that we're involved in, I think that would work. But I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Vash said.

"Can he really arrest me, or all of you?" Tiffany asked fearfully.

I'm not sure. But I gathered that he doesn't really have any evidence to work with. The video could prove that the ashes are the remains of John, but most wouldn't believe it and would probably assume it was faked. Even he isn't sure it's not faked. I think he was just trying to scare you. Vash replied.

"Well it worked!" Tiffany said.

"I think you'd better play along with him until we figure something out." Erica said. "If he approaches you again, just say you didn't see anything out of the ordinary."

"Okay." Tiffany said doubtfully.

"What's his name, anyway?" Sarah asked.

His name is Marvin Garner. Vash said.

"Maybe Dad can help us figure out what to do. But I'm not sure if I could give him enough information without revealing our abilities." Erica said.

"Do you think he could handle it if you did?" Mike asked.

"And what about me?" Sarah asked. "How would he react when he found out I'm a girl now?"

Erica snorted at that, "You know Dad better than that! He loves you! Mom too! And they're both really supportive of the rights of LGBT people, so I'm sure they could handle your being a girl now, and us being engaged. Though it might be a bit of an adjustment at first."

"Well, since Sarah's not going to change back, maybe that's something you should tell them. Then if we decide to ask for their help they won't have that hurdle to overcome." Jill suggested.

Erica nodded, "Yeah, I think I'll do that. Don't look so tense, Sarah, they'll be fine! You'll see, they're infinitely more accepting of people than your parents are!"

Sarah tried to relax, but there was simply too much going on in her life right now for that.


 
To Be Continued…

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sarah has waited long enough!

Don't you think it's about time to give her a little resolution and peace of mind? The girl is laying on a bed of nails and you insist on dancing on her chest!

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Just living up to my evil

Just living up to my evil authoress rep! ;) The meeting with the parents starts in the next chapter, though, I'm working on it now.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

"Nothing Out of the Ordinary..."

...actually seems almost right, at least when it comes to the four "suspects". (Vash, on the other hand...)

Doesn't matter much whether Garner is looking for magic or super-science; there seem to be way too many impossible things going on to convince him that nothing's happening here without mental intervention. And I sure hope the story doesn't go that route -- it makes everything way too simple from here on out. Admittedly, we already have the odd, inconsistent reactions to Sarah's change by her classmates and co-workers, and it's possible, as I think some here have speculated, that Sarah is somehow producing vibes that make people docile or supportive to her if they were neutral toward Sean or unaware of Sean previously. But that'd still be a long step away from implanting false memories, blanking things out or skewing someone's reasoning faculties. (Again, it's not that Sarah's or more likely Jill's or Vash's powers couldn't extend that far; it's that it throws away nearly all of the suspense in the story if they know they can correct any public perceptions after the fact.)

Eric

Yeah, the impossibilities

Yeah, the impossibilities are piling up, aren't they?

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

One way...

Create another suspect. Mike could play the part of a mysterious person (give him middle-eastern features) who is trying to frame the four suspects. If he 'carelessly' leaves some evidence around and is caught on video trying to plant false leads in Sarah's apartment, Marvin will try following him. Then, he gets spooked and disappears into thin air, and Marvin is left chasing phantasms. heh heh

ummm

hasn't Sarah come to terms with her gender enough to be able to change herself? She hasn't tried so i wonder

The answer to that question

The answer to that question is coming! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Sarah's Change

By Venus is NOT a curse at all to her, But it is to Sean. Could Marvin be a part of the group checking out Kittyhawk" There is the C.I.A. and N.S.A. as well as M16 and British Secret Service. Could mutants have appeared in other countries? In some Communist countries, a super strong mutant like the Hulk or the Thing could take over.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Fun with typos...

There is the C.I.A. and N.S.A. as well as M16 and British Secret Service.

I'm sure you meant MI6, but I just thought M16 was too funny! ;)

Saless

P.S. For any who don't know, MI6 is the external intelligence agency for the UK (I think the CIA would be the closest US equivalent). M16 is the rifle most commonly used by the US military.
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

M16

Isn't that a movie rating? Mature audiences, 16 or over? ;-)

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

M16

It's a US military assault rifle. It was used in the Vietnam war, and is still used today.

When I served, I was issued an M16A1, which is the first revision. I believe the biggest addition was the forward assist -- a little lever thingie that you would jam good and hard if the bolt (and round) didn't appear to be properly seated. Jamming it was part of the 'immediate action' that we were trained to do when the thing misfired.

The M16A1 is a magazine fed, gas operated, semi automatic or fully automatic rifle that shoots 5.56 mm NATO rounds (the same as the common .223 rounds used in varmint rifles.) It has a maximum effective range of 460 meters and fires at a speed of 550 rounds per minute.

I had to memorize that, and a few more facts. I forgot what its maximum range is, but it's around two kilometers. It weighs about 5 1/2 pounds empty, and a bit over seven pounds when loaded with a 30 round magazine.

The M16A2 (I never handled one) has a few improvements, like a longer maximum effective range (something like 550 meters.) It also has a three round burst mode because scared or excited soldiers tended to empty the 30 round magazine in a bit less than three seconds -- leaving them with an empty weapon when they really needed it.

Unlike the Soviet Kalashnikov, it is actually a fairly accurate weapon. It's not a sniper rifle by any means, but you can definitely hit what you're aiming at. When I qualified, I hit 28 out of the 40 targets that popped up at any distance from 50 to 300 meters, then went back down in a couple seconds. The 300 meter targets would tend to fool you. I would take aim, pull the trigger, then think, "Crap, I missed!" Then, the bullet would reach it and it would fall. The muzzle velocity was supersonic, but it was by no means instantaneous.

Geekdom Galore!

This video on YouTube clearly states the difference between the Ak-47 and the M16. To sum it all up:
Recoil: M16 trumps AK-47 (has less recoil due to design)
Accuracy: M16 trumps AK-47 (has much better aiming features)
Bullet Power: AK-47 trumps M16 (and how!)
Basic firing mode: AK-47 - fully automatic, M16 - semi automatic
Conclusion: AK-47 is a machine gun first and foremost, designed for shorter distances and with reliability in mind (EPIC)
M16 is an automated rifle designed with target pinpointing in mind
Choosing either one is a design tradeoff.

You can also have a design comparison of nearly all features here, look at the Wikipedia article on the matter.

And as seen here, M16 is clearly not designed to be wieldable by females, unlike AK-47! ^_~

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Assault Rifle for Vash?

ROFL!

(By the way, M16s are fully automatic -- except that the A2 version has three round burst mode. Still, if you keep pulling the trigger, it keeps shooting.

Yeah, it was in the articles Ray.

You know, I can't believe myself! You and I, we have brought one of The Holy Wars of Internet on Big Closet - The Holy War "AK-47 vs. M16: Which one is better?" !!!

The world is surely doomed.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Holy wars?

Let's not stop at one!

Is McCaffrey's Pern books science fiction or fantasy?

Ray Drouillard
(donning nomex anti-flame suit, ducking, and running)

Easy

Science Fantasy

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Hello Kitty M16

I've seen an M16(Well, OK, AR-15)done up with Hello Kitty decorations too!

Not a Hello Kitty fan, but the gun is just so damn cute!

Battery.jpg

:mischevious grin:

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Squee!!!


Yes it is the picture Theide offered, I just wanted to have it close for comparison.

Sorry, but it looks, I don't know, like a toy. And mine looks like a real AK-47 with a makeover.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Is this how they get the Marines crazy enough to storm a beach?

They give them a rifle like this? --snicker--

Mind you with all that pink ... A rifle for Barbie TM?

Hum, maybe my Joanie should get one like that? It goes with her nails.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?!

I just love those Hello Kitty guns! ;) I'd love to see an army all using Hello Kitty weapons, that would be so funny!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

They would have an added lethality

In close quarters especially - anyone getting a good look on their weapons is going to have a lot on plate trying to survive laughter :)

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Terminology

I hate to correct, but neither qualifies as a machine gun, even when the M-16 was full auto. They are classed and properly termed assault rifles. The A7-47 (which is antiquated by several newer versions) fires a short .30 cal or 7.62mm round. The M-16 (Or civilian legal model known as AR-15 semiauto) fires a .22 cal round 5.56mm, civilian known as .223 Remington. I have some pics of both done as Hello Kitty, as well as an APC, and several others.

BTW, both rifles have their proponents and their good and bad points.

Personal favorite

I'm not real big on either one, but for anybody who wants a look at my favorite, here you go.

http://world.guns.ru/smg/fn_p90_1.jpg

I had a chance to fire the civilian version(which has a longer barrel) some while ago and it is SWEET!

Battery.jpg