Venus Cursed! - Chapter 104

Printer-friendly version
Venus Cursed!
by Saless
Chapter 104

The agent seemed as shocked as Erica when his gun went off, but Sarah and Tiffany didn't notice because Erica staggered back a step and collapsed. "Erica!" Sarah exclaimed, kneeling next to her. She rolled Erica onto her back and recoiled at the sight of blood all over her hands.

The sound of the agent swearing distracted Sarah, but only for the moment it took her to hit him with a magical blast without even looking at him. She pulled Erica's head onto her lap and laid her hands on the wound. They began to glow, but then the glow flickered and died. "She's immune to magic!" Sarah cried, looking at Tiffany helplessly.

Tiffany had no idea what to do and looked hopelessly at the pool of blood that had formed under Erica. Just then Erica groaned. Her eyes suddenly opened and she screamed in pain. Just as suddenly her eyes closed and she sagged into unconsciousness. "Is she..." Tiffany said fearfully.

Sarah had screamed along with Erica and now looked dazed. After a moment she shook it off and said, "No, I think she's going to be okay." Sarah reached under Erica and felt around, pulling her hand out a moment later with a bloody bullet. "She screamed because her body was expelling the bullet, I think. The chrysalis is healing her. I just wish I could help it along!"

Tiffany sagged in relief and looked outside. The agent was lying on the ground at least thirty feet away, unconscious. He had dropped his gun where Sarah blasted him. "What about him?" she asked.

Sarah shrugged, "What about him?" she said coldly.

Tiffany had never heard her sound so heartless, but she couldn't blame her. "Should we call Mike and Jill?" she asked.

Sarah just shrugged, hardly hearing her as her entire focus was on her fiancé. Police sirens could be heard, rapidly approaching. Tiffany pulled her cell phone out of her purse and called Jill.

The police arrived a few minutes later. After questioning Tiffany they tried to ask Sarah what happened, but she wasn't paying attention. They called an ambulance for Erica, and for the agent. By the time the ambulance arrived two other cars had also. Mike and Jill got out of one, and Marvin Garner got out of the other.

This recognition was quickly passed on from Vash to Mike, who intercepted him before he could get to the others. "What are you doing here?!" he asked angrily.

"Michael Levins, right?" Marvin asked. Mike nodded. "I'm here to find out what my agent was doing drawing his gun, and how he got hurt. I'm not going to bother you or your friends."

Mike looked long and hard at him before nodding and walking away to join Jill and the others. "What happened?" Jill was asking as he walked up beside her. Tiffany explained, as Sarah was still not responding. After the explanation Jill asked, "What was the noise you heard before the agent's gun went off?"

Tiffany shrugged, "I don't know. I thought it was him shooting, at first, until I realized it wasn't as loud as his gun was. So I guess it came from farther away."

"Is Erica going to be okay?" Mike asked worriedly when he saw the pool of blood underneath her.

"I think so. Sarah said the chrysalis was healing her." Tiffany replied.

"Has Sarah tried to heal her?" Jill asked.

Tiffany nodded, "Yeah, it didn't work."

"What did Marvin have to say?" Jill asked Mike.

"He said he's only here for his agent. He didn't seem very happy with him." Mike replied.

"Does that mean he really was doing something he shouldn't have? Erica seemed to think so, but he seemed awfully confident..." Tiffany said.

"I think so. Maybe we should have Vash shadow him for a while and find out, though." Mike replied.

"Sounds like a good idea. Vash?" Jill said.

Agreed. was all he said before Jill felt his weight leave her shoulder as he jumped down to follow Marvin.

Erica groaned and shifted restlessly, which seemed to break Sarah out of her trance-like state. "Erica, are you alright?" she asked at the same time as Erica's eyes opened.

Her eyes blinked a few times before focusing in on Sarah's face hovering over her. Grimacing, she rasped, "I feel like I got kicked in the stomach by an elephant."

Smiling weakly, Sarah held up the bloody bullet. "Not an elephant, just this." she said.

Erica frowned, "He shot me? That wasn't very smart."

"No, it wasn't." Sarah agreed coldly.

Erica was surprised by the tone of her voice, "What did you do to him?"

"She blasted him. When I saw him he was lying on the ground thirty or forty feet away." Tiffany replied.

"I hope you didn't kill him." Erica said weakly. Her eyes fluttered and she struggled to keep them open. The struggle was a short one and she passed out.

"Erica?!" Sarah exclaimed fearfully.

Jill knelt beside them and put her arm around Sarah. "It's okay, Sarah. She's just sleeping now. Healing is taking a lot out of her, and she lost a lot of blood before the wound closed. But her breathing looks fine. I'm sure she'll be up and about in no time."

Mike checked her pulse and nodded, "Yep, her pulse is steady. Considering what we know about the chrysalis I think it's safe to say she'll recover quickly."

"Are you sure?" Sarah pleaded worriedly, glancing at Jill and then Mike hopefully.

Mike lifted up Erica's bloody shirt above where the bullet hole was. "See, no wound! She'll be fine!" Mike said encouragingly.

Sarah placed her hand on Erica's stomach where the bullet wound had been and sighed in relief. Just then Marvin walked up and she tensed, her hand glowing slightly.

Either Marvin didn't notice the glow, or was pretending not to. He looked around at all of them and his gaze settled on Tiffany. "I want to apologize for my agent's actions. He was only supposed to question you, not search your apartment or take you in. And he certainly wasn't supposed to draw his gun on you!" Shifting his gaze to Sarah he continued, "And I want to apologize to you and your friend, as well. Is she badly hurt?"

Sarah was about to reply when Erica shifted and opened her eyes again. "Who're you?" she asked, frowning at Marvin.

"I am Special Agent Marvin Garner. I'm responsible for Agent Peters, the man who shot you. I want to assure you that he will be disciplined for his actions. His career is most likely over, and there may be criminal charges, as well." Marvin replied.

"Why're you taking our side?" Erica asked.

"Because, unknown to him I had cameras set up to watch this apartment. I've already seen the tape, and it's clear that he was in the wrong." Marvin said.

"What exactly did you see?" Erica asked fearfully.

Marvin smiled, "I saw my agent acting improperly, and shooting you. And I saw something that should have been impossible that tells me that I don't want to make an enemy of your very protective friend, here." He glanced at Sarah as he said the last.

"What are you planning on doing with that tape?" Jill asked worriedly.

"I intend to include a somewhat edited version with my report on Agent Peters. The rest no one needs to see. But I would like to talk to all of you more later, when your friend has had time to recuperate. Speaking of which, there's enough room in the ambulance for two." Marvin replied.

"I don't need an ambulance." Erica said, wincing as she sat up.

"Erica!" Sarah complained, worried that she'd worsen her injury.

"I'm fine, Sarah. I may need to lean on you a bit to walk, but I'm not even in pain anymore." Erica said soothingly.

Marvin's eyebrows shot up at that, he'd clearly seen the bullet enter her abdomen and he could see the pool of congealing blood on the ground where she'd been lying. "Are you certain Ms. Keller?" he asked in surprise.

Erica grinned at him, "Yes, I'm sure. Now help me up, Sarah, I want to get out of this puddle!"

"Uh, Erica, do you realize what that puddle is?" Tiffany asked.

Erica grimaced, "I can guess, yeah. The smell kind of gives it away."

Sarah reluctantly helped Erica up. As she'd said, Erica had to lean on Sarah as she was feeling very weak and a little light headed. "I think we're done here for now, Mr. Garner." Erica said, gesturing for Sarah to lead her back into the apartment.

Marvin shrugged, "As you wish. Here's my card," he handed it to Mike, who didn't have his hands covered in blood, "please call me when you're feeling up to it." With that he turned and walked away.


 To Be Continued…

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's Nice To Know That

Marvin is smart enough to protect himself by protecting Sarah and friends, but who was that agent working for?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Rivetting story!

Wonderful writing, Saless! Would be interesting to see what kind of bullet that was (rifle versus pistol); I wonder if there is an intersted third party after our intrepid adventurers.
Diana

Thanks Diana!

Thanks Diana! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

So what now

for agent Garner.....Already he knows that Sarah and her friends would be far too hot for him to handle, And the best thing would be to leave well alone....,But this guy is a top agent and will want to know more about all these strange happenings that have taken place...And what better place to start than with Sarah

But he had better watch out, Could there be a new colder Sarah to contend with ....We shall see!!!

Kirri

And the Plot turns..

Again. It looks like Agent Peters is working for someone else besides Marvin and the FBI. Glad Marvin's seen the light. Agent Peters was acting like a mobster not a federal agent.

What was the first bang? Another mystery to be solved, maybe Mana can help resolve it.

Nice way to spice things up.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

A bit of a cliché

Maybe the first "bang" was a car backfiring? Probably too easy for our convoluted author, but who knows?

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Backfire?

Something backfired, all right.

I wonder if the first bang was an enemy of the bad agent.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see that Marvin is being reasonable. Maybe he would be a good seventh member. (Or is it eighth? Will Mom be joining the gang?) Having someone with connections would be useful.

Or was the first bang ...

Sarah's dad?

I have grave worries about him. He seemed to be making some progress in understanding but was he? That is good idea, check out the bullet, does it match the idiot agent's gun. A rifle fired from a block or so away, using a deer hunting scope would do.

The agent's toast, period, even if someone else fired first, there seems little reason to have pulled the gun out plus a compitent agent would not take on a *gang of suspected criminals* alone, in a confinded area without backup.

I may have never been in the armed forces or police, Boy Scouts were about it for me, but still, how dumb could he be? Hey, I've watched enough movies and TV.

Now as to the biggest bang since the big one, see HHGG and Zephod Zeeblebrox's comment about Eccentrica Galumbits the tripple breasted whore of Eroticon 6 or was that her comment about him?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

It keeps getting...

...better and better! Saless, I thought I was addicted to this story line before. Now, I know I am!! It's nice to see that Sarah has developed a more "active" role in protecting those she loves instead of being passive like before. The (living) agent is smart; this is not a group that you want to piss off. It's also sweet to see how much Sarah and Erica truly feel for one another, and how they won't hesitate to do whatever it takes for the other.

Love it, can't wait for more!!

-JT
=^.^=

-JT
=^.^=

Thanks JT, glad you like!

Thanks JT, glad you like! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

So Agent Peters...

...was as surprised at the shot as Erica. Assuming it WAS a shot from Peters' gun that wounded her and not something from the perpetrator of the mystery "bang" -- the bullet's obviously available to check -- Agent Peters may have proof on that tape that he wasn't the first to fire, though he was presumably the first to draw a weapon.

Marvin clearly knows he's in over his head here, dealing with developments that can't logically happen but apparently are fully capable of trumping whatever aces he and the government could put up. His instincts would tell him that what he needs most is a way of determining what's possible and what isn't under these new circumstances, before he or the government can make a responsible decision as to what to do about them. I'm guessing Vash et al. will conclude that he'd be more useful as a friend (govermnent liaison?) than a foil.

Eric

"I've been told that the horseshoe on my wall brings good luck whether I believe in it or not." - Niels Bohr (paraphrased).

Peters is in trouble.

Whatever the reason, you DO NOT draw a weapon unless you FULLY intend to use it. It is the first and foremost rule that I think is drilled into the head of ANY weapon user. Especially firearms user. Whatever happens next, this simple fact is the one that will be stressed upon. Thus, since he shot, no matter how or why, no matter unintentionally, he is the FIRST one to escalate the situation to a possibility of lethal outcome. Marvin will use this as a big old mallet to pound Peters make Peters go splat. And it does not matter he may have not been the first one to shot - to his best knowledge, he was the only person with a weapon, and he pulled a gun on unarmed civilians who were no threat to him.

Marvin is acting very professionally, and it shows. He clearly understands the dangers of unknown, and the sight of an apparently unarmed maiden blasting an enemy 15 meters away with about as much attention spent as when swatting a fly, makes one think. Most he will do is establish a surveillance, with strict orders to NEVER interfere, or even communicate in any way, with the group. Right now, gathering information is crucial, and anything else short of blatant crime is best left alone until measures can be taken.

Erica has been able to heal her wound. Mind you, it has made her very, very weak. I have once been told that a wound, _any_ wound, decreases the soldier's effectiveness by 80%, give or take. It came up when I was discussing the Black Suits (Augmented soldiers, explode upon death) of Deus Ex, and asked why not use baselines. This was the answer. Now, Erica may be better off than us, but, she was shot in the abdomen, and I heard that deep wounds in that area are particularly nasty. While she has recuperated, I now have no doubt her chrysalis has made a great leap and claimed the entire area. Also, it has exposed her grand weakness - blood loss. Heh, and to think that when I was first playing Oni I (apparently mistakenly) assumed chrysalis was rather a mostly homogenous biomass, as opposed to specialised one that constitutes human.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Completely wrong

I see I was completely wrong in my predictions about what happened. I guess it's a good thing the author isn't predictable, but I'm still miffled about it :)

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby