Venus Cursed! - Chapter 99

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 99

Tiffany stared in shock as the camera panned from the reporter to show a living flame in the shape of a man walking down the street. The asphalt smoked and bubbled where it stepped. A policeman was trying to talk it into stopping, but it ignored him. As she watched a fire truck drove up and the firemen tried to hose it down. It seemed to be enraged by this rather than harmed, and began stalking the fire truck, shooting jets of flame from it's mouth as it went. The flame always seemed to just miss the firemen, sometimes with a flash of blue near them when it did.

She was still staring in shock at the images on the screen when Erica and Sarah came running out of the shower, still dripping wet. Sarah almost absentmindedly portalled them dry as they came to a stop next to the couch. "What's going on?!" Erica asked worriedly. Tiffany just pointed at the screen and they both gasped when they saw the living flame battling the firemen.

Just then there was a banging on the door. Sarah started towards the door, her eyes still glued to the screen, until Tiffany said, "Uh, Sarah, maybe you should get dressed first?" Blushing in embarrassment, she and Erica ran back to get dressed while Tiffany went to the door. Feeling cautious after her encounter with the FBI agent, she made sure to look before opening the door. Mike and Jill waited on the other side, so Tiffany opened the door and let them in.

"Have you seen the news?!" Mike asked once the door was closed. Vash became visible on Jill's shoulder and jumped to the couch to look at the TV.

Tiffany nodded, "Yeah, we just saw. What's going on?!"

"We were hoping one of you would know! Where's Sarah and Erica?" Jill replied.

"They're getting dressed. What is that thing?!" Tiffany said.

It's a fire elemental. I seriously doubt anyone in this world except for Sarah and possibly myself could manage to summon a fire elemental, even with the recent rise of magic. Unless it followed us through a portal, I am at a loss as to how it could be here. Vash replied.

"What will it do?" Jill asked worriedly as it continued its assault on the firemen. By some miracle none of them had been harmed yet.

I don't know. If it was being compelled it would ignore the firemen, or incinerate them immediately. It's acting like it's unbound. In which case it could do anything. Right now it's just defending itself. Once the immediate threat is gone, I have no idea what it would do. This is very bad. Vash said.

"Can we do anything?" Tiffany asked.

"I can take care of it." Erica said as she joined them. Sarah was right behind her.

"How?" Mike asked curiously. "I know it can't hurt you, at least not directly, but that's not much help fighting it."

"I can use Sarah's ice sword. That should hurt it." Erica replied.

That might work, but you would likely be injured or killed in the process. Vash said. After a pause he continued, There is something strange about its attack. Those flames should be hitting those firemen, but they aren't. It's like they're being deflected just enough to keep from hurting anybody.

"Maybe I can portal it back wherever it came from?" Sarah said hopefully.

"How? Without a book or something you have no way of knowing where it came from!" Jill replied.

"Well, I could still portal it somewhere! I've got to do something!" Sarah said. Without waiting for a reply she opened a portal. Erica grabbed her hand and walked through with her, but she didn't close the portal. Shrugging, Tiffany followed, with Jill, Mike, and an invisible Vash close behind.

"This is crazy! There's nothing any of us can do to this thing!" Mike protested when he caught up with Sarah.

"Actually," Sarah said thoughtfully as she stared at the elemental, "I think I can get it home. There's a...thread, for lack of a better word, connecting it to somewhere else. I think I can follow that thread back to its home and send it back through a portal." She closed her eyes in concentration, but while she was doing so the fire elemental had managed to set the firetruck on fire. The firemen scattered, so the elemental continued on its way now that no one was trying to stop it.

"Maybe you can slow it down Jill? I'll take care of the fire truck." Mike said.

"How are you going to take care of the fire truck?!" Jill asked. In answer Mike transformed, swiftly becoming invisible as he grew to giant size. They couldn't see what he was doing, but they saw the gust of wind that blew the flames out like a birthday candle. Jill shrugged and ran after the elemental. She tried to levitate it, but it didn't really have a solid body. Fire's not something solid, it's just a chemical reaction! How do you grab a chemical reaction?! she thought.

Normally you would grab the fuel Vash replied. However, an elemental doesn't need fuel to stay alight. For the moment it has very little mass at all. You may not be able to grab it.

Hm, if I can't grab it, maybe I can block it! she thought. She focused on the road a few feet in front of it and envisioned a solid wall of force. She'd done this before instinctively to protect herself when sparring, but she'd never tried to do it on purpose. She had no idea if she'd succeeded until it ran into the wall and recoiled. Yes, it worked!

But now what? Vash asked, as the elemental began feeling its way around the wall. Jill kept extending the wall whichever direction it went, but she found she was only able to maintain a small wall, so it was basically moving with the elemental.

Jill was sending it in a circle, to keep it away from the buildings, but she was tiring rapidly. She was about ready to pass out from exhaustion when Sarah suddenly appeared next to her. "You can let it go now Jill, I've got it." she said. Jill gratefully dropped the wall and dropped onto the ground to rest.

A portal opened up right in front of the elemental, but it shied away from it. That did it little good, however, as Sarah simply swept it up with her portal before closing it up. "It should be fine now. Are you okay Jill?" Sarah asked.

Jill was breathing hard like she'd just run a marathon and gasped out, "Yeah...I'm...okay." Mike appeared next to her as he shrank back down from invisible giant size, and Erica and Tiffany stepped out of the portal Sarah had used to catch up with Jill.

"I used my shadows to hide us from the cameras, but I really think we should get out of here." Tiffany said worriedly.

"Good thinking. Let's get back to Sarah's apartment." Erica said. Sarah nodded and opened the portal. Mike picked up Jill, who didn't complain this time, and they all stepped through. He set her down on the couch while Tiffany went to get her some water.

"I'm sorry it took me so long to get a fix on it's home world Jill." Sarah said apologetically as she sat down next to the couch.

Jill had just about gotten her breath back at this point, "It's okay Sarah. No harm done." She gratefully accepted a glass of water from Tiffany and drank it down quickly. Tiffany took it back to refill it.

"Why didn't you just levitate it, like you did the dishes?" Mike asked.

"It's just flame, there was nothing solid to take a hold of. I suppose I might be able to learn to telekinetically grab gases, but I don't know how yet." Jill replied.

"Oh, yeah, I guess it's hard to grab air." Mike agreed.

"I don't suppose you have any idea where that thing came from Vash?" Erica asked.

No, I don't. I'm sure it was summoned here, rather than somehow following us through a portal. I just don't know who did it. There shouldn't be anybody in this world with both the power and the knowledge to do it. Vash replied.

"Could it be Sarah's father? He was changed a couple of times, plus he was exposed to the magic of the knife and Sarah healed him. And Mary beat him up while under the influence of magic, too. Could all that exposure have done it?" Mike asked.

No, that's not possible. There is some residue from any magical use, but most of the energy is used up in the spell. He would have to have magic used on him many more times for the buildup to be enough to have any significant effect. Besides, having the power isn't enough. Sarah has the power, but she'd need something to tell her where to open her portal to. I have the knowledge, but I'd need a complicated ritual to derive enough power, assuming it would even work in this world. There's no way that George could have gained that knowledge even if he had amassed that much power.


 To Be Continued…
 

 


up
99 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What they need is the Clue Crew!

They went in to Jeopardy to save the firemen. There were lots of clues that something was not as it seems. Will they figure it out? Will their awareness that another powerful magical being allow them to penetrate Mana's block? Or will Mana show first?

It'll be interesting, seeing how Mana is capable of blocking their awareness of her. Mana like Marvin underestimated the resourcefulness and intelligence of Sarah and Company. United they should be able to develop a plan to control the FBI guy. Can they turn the tables on Marvin and Use the FBI to control the World?

What will Mana tell Sarah about herself? Eagerly anticipating Episode 100. Will it be a tell all?

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

A tell all?

I don't actually know yet if it will be or not. My micro-buffer from this weekend has already died, I'm afraid. But I'm leaning towards no. We'll see. ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Who wants to control the world?

I think there is a reason why you never find a sane scientist trying to control the world: nobody in his right mind would want to do that. There is far too much trouble involved.

What we know about Sarah and her friends points more at them staying in the background, maybe sometimes secretly averting a major disaster, but not playing God or Overlord. That would be the job of mad scientists.

--- Martin

That's always thrown me.

That's always thrown me. Why would anyone want to control the world? Just think of the paper work! *shudder* ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

The paperwork isn't that bad ...

... as long as you can have some lackeys do it for you. But imagine everybody expecting you to solve their problems!

--- Martin

I have once seen a webcomic strip in passing

And there, a Mad Scientist Would-be World Dominator was having a Motive Rant. He explained that once he successfully took over the entire world, but was unable to withstand the responsibility and stepped down. Then it became his hobby to try to take over the world, with the provisions that he fully expects himself to not succeed (favoring the journey MUCH more than the destination).

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Taking over the world

A true megalomaniac isn't necessarily going to be interested in solving anyone's problems, so it is unlikely that anyone will expect it of him (her.)

But the biggest problem is that every two-bit villain (super or not) is going to want to bump you off and take over your organization. Just handling our own security would be enough to take the joy out of anyone's life. After all, can you truly trust any of your bodyguards?

We Know That Mana

Did the other magical things, so, she is likely responsible for this as the Fire Elemental was contained.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Each episode that goes

by Sarah seems to be getting more and more in control of her powers....(Which given the strength of her powers is probally no bad thing!!) So far we know that she can travel anywhere she wishes, Change sex (herself and others),Produce huge amounts of electricity, Dry dish's without touching them ( Okay maybe the last one is not THAT important!!!) And other things that i have probally forgotten!!!! We also know that the Mana does not seem to be here with any nasty intentions... Somewhere out there must be something or someone with big trouble in mind....So given all Sarah's new powers.....Is she going to be given a chance to use them?..... Episode 100 is next.....Revelation time? Kirri