Venus Cursed! - Chapter 44

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 44

"Good!" Jill exclaimed, embracing Erica happily. Mike stepped back with a satisfied look and sat back down. "Now that that's settled, we'd better go make sure Sarah's alright."

Erica nodded and jumped to her feet, eager to make amends. Jill put a hand on her arm to stop her. "I'm not sure how Sarah would react to you right now. It might be best if we talk to her first." she said. Erica nodded reluctantly and plopped down on the couch. Jill called Mike and they went and knocked on Sarah's door.

They didn't hear any response, so Jill called through the door. There was still no reply, so Mike tried the door. It was unlocked, and they stepped inside. They found Sarah asleep on her bed, curled up in a fetal position clutching her pillow to her chest. Mike closed the door and stood there while Jill sat on the bed next to her and gently shook her awake.

Sarah was slow to wake fully and looked around her in confusion. "How are you doing Sarah?" Jill asked softly.

"Uh…okay, I guess." Sarah said, still befuddled from her sleep.

"Are you sure?" Jill asked. Sarah looked up at her, and then across at Mike still standing at the door.

Sarah clutched her pillow more tightly and shook her head, "No, I guess not." she admitted as a fresh wave of tears overtook her.

Mike stepped quickly across the room and he and Jill held Sarah while she cried. She calmed slowly and weakly said, "Sorry."

Jill shook her head with a laugh, "You've got to stop apologizing like that! There's nothing wrong with crying when you're upset."

"That's not what Da…" Sarah began, then cut herself off and said, "I mean, guys aren't supposed to cry."

Jill gave her a knowing look and said, "That's a stupid stereotype that causes a lot of trouble for no purpose! There's nothing wrong with guys crying!"

"Yeah," Mike agreed, "and if I thought Jill had rejected me, you can be sure I'd be bawling my eyes out!"

Jill looked at Mike fondly before turning back to Sarah. "He would, too. He's just a big softy at heart!" she said with a grin.

"Of course, that's why you love me!" Mike retorted with a goofy grin. Their antics had the desired effect as Sarah giggled at their exchange.

"Erica does love you; you know that right?" Jill asked her softly when the moment of levity had passed.

"Does she?" Sarah replied bitterly. "You could have fooled me."

"Hey now, don't be too hard on her." Jill said. "You've had a lot more time to get used to this than she has. She hasn't been very sensitive to your feelings on this, but this effects her almost as much as it does you."

Sarah looked skeptical, so Mike said, "Yeah, just think about how it would effect you if Erica had been the one to be changed into a guy! Wouldn't that make things hard on you, especially if you were still a guy yourself?"

Sarah shuddered at that thought. "Okay, I guess I see your point. I don't know if I could get over Erica being a guy. But is she even going to try to get over me being a girl?" Sarah said.

"She is, she just told us as much." Jill assured her. "She's having trouble with this, as you would, but she's willing to give it a try. It would be a shame if you didn't give her the opportunity."

Sarah shook her head, "I couldn't push her away. Even if she were a guy."

Jill tilted her head as she looked at Sarah and nodded thoughtfully. "I believe you wouldn't. No matter how hard it was for you. I think you two really were made for each other."

"I hope so." Sarah said in a small voice. Mike and Jill hugged her again.

"Ready to go see your girlfriend?" Mike asked with a grin. Sarah nodded uncertainly and he helped her and Jill up. They all returned to the living room with Sarah trailing behind. There was a sudden flurry of feathers and Vash was back on Sarah's shoulder.

Feeling better? he asked, though Sarah could tell he already knew the answer.

I guess so. Do you really think that Erica can deal with this, with me? Sarah asked fearfully.

I can't read her, so I don't know. But Jill told me about your bond, and has seen traces of it from time to time. She hasn't noticed any changes in it, so I have to assume that your bond is as strong as ever. If that's true, she probably will. Vash replied.

I forgot about that. I hope you're right. Sarah said with a mental sigh.

So do I. Vash replied hopefully.

Why are you so worried about my relationship with Erica, anyway? Sarah asked.

Um, well, you see, my personality is a reflection of my masters. he mumbled. Sarah was surprised to hear the embarrassment in his mental 'voice'. Parts of my personality are largely the same no matter who my master is, but not all of it. With my previous master I was devious and cruel, though I admit my heart wasn't really in the cruelty that he dished out so cavalierly. With Jill things are much different. I couldn't even conceive of doing the things he had me do now. So you have Jill to thank. She cares a lot about you, and that care carries over to me.

Sarah was distracted from replying to that interesting bit of information as she rounded the corner and saw Erica sitting on the couch tensely with tears streaming down her face. "I'm really sorry Sarah!" she said brokenly. She started to rise, but then collapsed onto the couch. Sarah hurried over to her and held her as they both cried.

"It's okay Erica, Jill pointed out how I'd feel if the situation were reversed." Sarah said when she had control of her voice back again. "This must be really hard for you. You came here hoping to surprise your boyfriend, and find a girl in his place. I hope you can forgive me."

Erica shook her head against Sarah's chest, "There you go again, taking all the credit!" she said with a weak laugh. "This is no one's fault except for Venus. But there is something I need to know. I'll cope as best I can either way, but I need to know if you want to change back to Sean." Erica said.

Sarah pulled back and looked at Erica in surprise. "Not you, too!" she exclaimed. "Everyone seems to think I want to stay this way! I really want to change back, Erica!"

"You're not just trying to change back for my benefit, are you?" Erica asked.

Sarah threw her hands up in frustration. "What is it going to take to convince all of you that I don't want to stay like this! Yes, you're part of the reason, but I'm a guy! I want to get back to being a guy! Okay?" she pleaded.

Erica couldn't keep the relieved smile from her face as she replied, "Okay! So, do you want to try and wait and see if the Magician's answer holds true, or do you want to keep trying to change back?"

Sarah looked thoughtful at that. "Our efforts along those lines haven't been too successful. Maybe we should all give it some thought instead of running off to the first world that comes to mind? In the meantime, there's nothing stopping us from visiting interesting worlds for the fun of it!"

Erica stared at Sarah in shock. "The fun of it?!" she exclaimed.

"You haven't done this much yet, but we've found it can be a lot of fun. Especially when we go to places that are safe!" Jill said.

"Yeah, we got to see a planet from orbit, along with some space ships. We also saw dinosaurs, giants, dragons, all kinds of things! When we weren't in danger for our lives it really was kind of fun." Mike agreed.

"And we're all a lot more dangerous than we were when we started." Sarah said.

"But we could be killed!" Erica protested.

Sarah shrugged, "Yeah, that's possible, but not as likely as you might think. Especially if we're careful about where we go. Mike can turn into anything he needs to, so he's pretty hard to kill. We've got healing water to treat wounds, too. I can use my portals to get away from danger, or as a shield of sorts. I can also blast things with fireballs! You have a magic sword and dagger, and are immune to magical and psionic attacks…"

Erica interrupted at that, "I'm what?!"

"Vash told us you're a Null, that's why he can't talk to you. You're immune to magic and psionics, like his telepathy. So all you have to worry about are strictly physical threats." Jill explained.

"Right." Sarah agreed with a nod, "and that just leaves Jill." She was about to go on, when she realized how vulnerable her friend really was.

Vash flew from Sarah's shoulder to Jill's and spread his wings wide. Jill has me for defense! he said proudly. Then, he tucked a claw into his fur and brought it out closed over a shiny object. He held this out over Jill's hand and dropped it. And she has this! he continued as Jill caught it. She opened her fingers and looked down on the intricately carved golden ring.

"What's this?" she asked curiously.

It belonged to my previous master. It will protect you from physical, magical, and psionic attacks. It's not foolproof, but between it and our abilities you should be at least as safe as the others. Vash explained to her.


 
To Be Continued…

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rubbish laptops!!!

Two years thats all my laptop lasted before it literally fell to bits....Which is why with the aid of my brand new laptop i am now trying to catch up with all the stories that have been published in my enforced vacation....Anyway thats enough about my now solved problem.... More to the point is when will Sarah accept what seems to be obvious to the rest of us and begin to make plans for HER new life?

Kirri

P.S.

Its sooo! good to be back and commenting on all the great stories on BC/TS, especially your stories Saless.

P.P.S

I just love Vash!!!

Nice to see you again!

I'm glad to hear your computer woes are over. I had similar luck with my first laptop, except it might not have lasted that long... :(

Thanks Kirri! Isn't Vash great?! ^_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Sarah will accept herself

Athena N's picture

not too soon, I hope, as that would be the end of the current story line. After all, her goal is to find how she can turn back, and when she figures out she doesn't want to, she can do it any time she wants. Consulting magicians can be funny that way, especially the one they got this advice from...

Accepting her femininity ...

... doesn't necessarily mean giving up on his masculinity. We all have "feminine" and "masculine" traits after all (that's what those psychologists say, anyway).

With Sarah's abilities, (s)he should have a few more options than just "turning back" or "not turning back".

Even in the (IMHO very unlikely) event that Sean chose to be full-time male again, he wouldn't be the same person any more with all the experiences he made as Sarah. So "turning back" isn't really an option anyway.

--- Martin

Second self

I can definitely relate to having both masculine and feminine traits -- and I'm not the only one. One of my best friends here on BCTS (and on the MORFS site) told me that he wouldn't want to lose some of the perks of being male. I suspect that his girlfriend/soul mate is one of those perks. ;-)

Being able to switch back and forth is one of the more common 'wish fulfillment' themes in TG fiction.

Are They The New?

Power Rangers? Will you give them their own Zords?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Grins!!

[email protected] That's what I have when I see that you have posted !!! Thanks !!!

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

You're too kind!

Thanks cavrider! ^_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Heroes for hire

And our ragtag team is now (almost) complete! The Multiverse has no chance of survival, that is for sure!
They have a
Tank - Mike (The Big Guy)
Glass Cannon - Sarah (The Hero/The Chick)
Telepath - Jill (The Smart Guy)
DPS Specialist - Erica (The Lancer)
Talisman - Vash (Team Pet/Mentor)
Rogue - Tiffany (The Sixth Ranger)

So here's the deal - apparently, Vash was a natural helper after all!
And there should be a poll as to when (in which chapter) Tiffany actually becomes one with the group! My bet - around 90-115.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Erica's Immunity

So if Erica is immune to magic, can she not confront Venus herself without fear of reprisal?

You might think so...

You might think so... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Confronting a God

Frank's picture

Is not likely to get one anywhere except blasted...even if Erica is immune. You want something from them, you have to treat them accordingly...suck it up and bow, grovel, humble themselves.

Hugs

Frank

Blasted

She may be immune to magical influences, but she wasn't immune to the pebble that was magically flung at her head.

If Venus drops a piano on her, it's going to hurt -- whether it is done magically or not.

Housekeeping!

Getting almost everyone on the same page. Interest in seeing how Sarah and Erica's relationship develops now.

Your stories are always a fun read. Now all our little band needs is an organized bad guy to fight like the Wizards Union or the person in charge of the Multiverses our intrepid group makes forays to.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception.~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

The person 'in charge' of

The person 'in charge' of this reality isn't a bad guy, she's nice! Oops! *Walks away whistling innocently* Nothing to see here folks! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Imune to all magic or only some?

Erica as a null is likely immune to all magics a human sorcerer, wizard, witch, sorceress or whoever can fling at her but immune to the powers of a goddess like Venus?

Think of the Krell metal blast doors at the lab entrance in the sci-fi classic film Forbidden Planet. They weren't even scratched by the blasters the Earth explorers carried but when Morbius's id, his augmented subconscious, got angry it found enough power to melt though them.

Erica may be bulletproof but is she H-bomb proof? Venus is a major league goddess, just below Zeus and Hera, is Erica immune to that level of power? Hum, as a null, if she could willingly *bind* herself, her soul to Sean/Susan, would that break the curse? But would all of Sean's powers be lost then including the dimension/planewalker power?

Still wonder how he/she got that power and about the gender confusion so many had about him/her/it/they even before Venus got into the *act*. I can't believe Venus's curse was retroactive PRIOR to it's being unleashed.

Erica, show her/him you love the person, the soul, that you can love them in any body. A, um, physical demonstration might be in order, girl. If she experiences love with Erica as Susan they all his/her fears should crumble. That might be the key to Susan accepting her femininity and being able to change back to Sean ... and back and forth at will I imagine. Think of it as if Sean/Sarah can manipulate their yin and yan like a light switch.

And what of the fifth Beatle, um, their *stalker*?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Vash

Now, let me get this straight...

Sarah aimed a fireball at the nasty no-good gunky wizard, and he disappeared. Tiffany ended up finishing him off with his own weapon. Vash escapes the tower through Sarah's portal.

So, why did he end up being Jill's familiar?

Ah, but he was sent to 'deal

Ah, but he was sent to 'deal with' Jill by his former master! They were locked staring at each other for a while before the fireball explosion. Something may have happened during that time... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Sarah's Secret

Sarah has a secret - even from herself. We assume that she has always been a girl inside -- even though she vehemently denies it. We, the readers at BCTS know better. ;-)

OK, so Vash has made some comments about humans being so good at self-deception. It all fits -- Sarah has already been a girl inside.

But there must be more to it, or our intrepid author wouldn't have done the cheesy suspense-building trick of having one character tell the other without cluing in her beloved readers. (Evil authoress! Nyah!) :-P

So... what is this extra surprise that is coming? Enquiring minds want to know.

Would a substantial bribe help? I could send you the rest of Higher and Higher so's ya don't have to wait while I post it slowly. ;-)

Random synapses firing

Based on a few things, including the wizard's comment, perhaps Sarah truly is her own worst enemy?

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Which Sort of Leads Back...

...to the question of whether all these universes, as our adventurers experience them, are true products of Sarah's mind rather than authentic reflections. If so, then I'd guess your statement is true by definition, though it doesn't satisfactorily answer the question as to what's happening in Sean's real world. (Unless, of course, the world he returns to each time through the portal isn't his real world at all.)

Eric

There is a sci-fi story

There is a sci-fi story, I don't remember who by, concerning a time travel experiment that is being used to prove that time travel is safe by sending a metal sphere back in time to the dinosaur age. It then rebounds back to the present, then back in time again, but each trip is not as far. It does some damage on many of the trips back when it materializes in the past, killing things or interrupting events. The researchers start out human, but end up some kind of slithery, slug-like beings as the spokesman (spokes-being?) proudly proclaims "See, nothing happened!"

Anyway, to my point. It may be that each trip through a portal can alter events on both sides of the portal. That would explain the changes in people around Sarah. The effect lessens with distance from the portal, which is why Erica still remembers Sean.

Not a perfect solution, just something to throw out there. ;-)

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Mwahahaha!!!

Me, evil?! Of course I am! It's part of the job description, under 'Perks'! ;p

I'll take bribes...just don't expect them to get you anything! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Girl Inside?

> We assume that she has always been a girl inside -- even though she vehemently denies it.
> We, the readers at BCTS know better. ;-)

Do we really?

My guess is that she hasn't so much been a girl inside but rather something in-between; somewhat balanced between male and female traits. Sean didn't seem to be uncomfortable with having a male body; what really bothered him was that almost everybody took him for gay, either coming on to him or harassing him.

Turned female, she finds out that she's about as comfortable with her new body as with her old one, which probably causes her quite some distress if she reflects on it. How can a "real man" be comfortable in a woman's body? (It seems like the environment Sean grew up in had a rather traditional view of gender roles.)

Being neither fish nor fowl might have contributed to Sean's serious lack of self-esteem, too. In an environment that only accepts "real men" and "real women", it must be hard to become self-confident if you are neither. We don't know (yet) if Sean has daydreamed of being female, or even "experimented", in his youth; this might have caused the conflict with his parents. But then, Sean not meeting their standards for "real men" in general might have been enough to ruin their relationship.

--- Martin