Venus Cursed! - Chapter 111

Printer-friendly version
Venus Cursed!
by Saless
Chapter 111

"Hm, that's a good question. What do we name our company?" Mike mused.

"Does it really matter?" Tiffany asked. "I mean, we'll be selling stuff on eBay, so people will only see our user name, right?"

"We can set up an eBay store, which I think we should considering the amount of stuff we've got to sell. It would help to establish a positive reputation. We would have an easier time selling things, then." Erica replied.

"She's got a point. People will be more willing to spend thousands of dollars on expensive things like what we're selling if they're buying from a store rather than an individual." Jill agreed.

"I thought we were supposed to be keeping a low profile, though." Tiffany said.

"We are. Our names and address won't be listed in the store. We'll need a post office box, but that's quick and easy to do. We should also have a phone number. We can set up a separate number for that and have it listed under our company name instead of one of ours." Erica said.

"Which brings us back to the name. Any ideas?" Jill asked.

What kind of name do you want? Vash asked.

"What do you mean, what kind?" Jill asked.

Do you want a generic name that has nothing in particular to do with what you're selling or who you are? Or do you want a name that is indicative of your wares? Or something more personally significant? Vash replied.

"Good point. I suppose we could use a name like Portals-R-Us1, but only we would know what that means." Mike said.

"They'd probably think we sold doors or something!" Tiffany said.

"So what kind of name do we want?" Erica asked.

"It would be nice if the name meant something, to us at least." Sarah said.

"Like Sarah means something to you?" Erica asked with a smile.

"Where did that name come from, anyway?" Mike asked curiously.

"My great grandmother. She died when I was pretty small, but I guess she made an impression because I've wanted to have that name for as long as I can remember. How I look now is a lot like she looked when she was my age, and her name was Sarah." Sarah replied.

"So that's why you had that name ready when you changed." Jill said. Sarah nodded.

"How about Adventure Ventures2? That's how we get the stuff to sell, after all." Tiffany suggested.

"Well if you're going to go that way, we could also do Sales From The Crypt3." Mike said with a grin.

"Or Fruit of the Tomb4!" Jill laughingly added.

"Can we get serious here?" Erica asked.

"Okay, how about Venus, Inc.5?" Tiffany asked.

"Hm, that's not bad." Jill agreed.

"I don't know, it was Sarah that really started all this." Erica said doubtfully.

"Okay, how about Sarah's Vault?" Mike suggested. At Sarah's frown he said, "Haras' Vault6?"

"We're not naming our company after me!" Sarah growled.

"Okay, okay!" Mike said apologetically.

Perhaps it would help to agree on something to focus your ideas on. Vash suggested.

Jill glanced speculatively at Vash and nodded, smiling, "Yes, that could work!"

"Works for me." Mike said with a shrug.

Sarah and Erica nodded while smiling at Vash, "That's a good idea."

That's not what I meant! Vash exclaimed worriedly.

"Hey, someone want to clue me in on what you're talking about here?!" Tiffany said.

"Sorry Tiffany. We were thinking that Vash could be our mascot. He was saying we should have a focus for the name, after all..." Jill said.

"He is awfully cute, isn't he?" Tiffany said with a grin.

You, too? I don't know that I like the idea of being anyone's mascot... Vash protested.

"You're perfect! You're so cute everyone will love you!" Sarah gushed.

But what kind of name could you get from me? Vash asked, obviously hoping to shoot down this idea.

"Pink Kitty, Inc?" Tiffany suggested.

"Vash Ventures?" Mike said.

"Cute Kitty Company?" Sarah added.

"Impish Imports?" Erica said.

"Out of This World Treasures7?" Jill added.

"Out of This World Treasures? How is that related to Vash?" Mike asked curiously.

Obviously it's a reference to what you are selling, not me. Vash said in relief.

"Well, yes, but it's also a reference to you, Vash." Jill said.

How could it be a reference to me? Vash asked.

"Well, you're from another world, and you're a treasure to me." Jill said.

"Aw!" Sarah said. "She's right, too. You've done a lot for all of us. You were looking out for me from the moment you arrived here! And Tiffany, too."

I appreciate the sentiment, and I feel the same, but I don't think I'm the appropriate focus for your store. Perhaps, if Sarah doesn't want her name attached, we could use her ability? It is what started everything, as I understand. Vash said while licking Jill's face. She giggled and playfully swatted at him.

"What, her portals? How can we get a name out of that? That will make any sense, anyway?" Mike asked.

How about The Treasure Portal8? Vash suggested.

"Hey, that's pretty good! It's got meaning like Sarah wanted, but it also fits what we're selling, in more ways than one. I like it!" Tiffany exclaimed.

"I agree. But that doesn't mean you're off the hook for mascot duty!" Jill said mock-sternly to Vash. He rolled his eyes at her.

"I like it, too. What do you think Erica?" Sarah said.

"It seems appropriate to me. I'm happy with it." Erica replied.

"Sounds like we've got a name." Mike said. "And about time! Can we go get cleaned up now?"

"Yes, please!" Tiffany agreed.

"Sure, we can talk more about the company tomorrow. I'm more than ready for a shower myself." Erica replied. With that Mike, Jill and Vash left.

"Why don't you use the shower first, Tiffany." Sarah suggested. Tiffany gave her a knowing look before nodding and heading for the bathroom. Sarah and Erica prepared Tiffany's bed while she showered and then took her place in the shower when she was done. After a long shower they went to bed.
 


 
Sarah beat Tiffany to the kitchen in the morning. She and Erica were awoken by the smell of pancakes and soon joined Sarah. After breakfast they went over to Mike and Jill's apartment. After knocking Mike let them in. "You're up early this morning. Jill hasn't gotten up yet." he said.

"Oh? Have you eaten yet?" Sarah asked as she followed him inside.

"No, I was just about to have some cereal. There's no point cooking anything, Jill probably won't be up for a while yet." Mike replied. They took seats at the table while Mike got his breakfast. "I assume you three have already eaten, right?"

Sarah nodded, "Is Vash still sleeping, too?"

"Yeah, he usually stays in bed until we're both up. He's as lazy as a real cat." Mike replied.

"So, other than meeting up with Mana before going to take pictures, what else will we do today?" Tiffany asked as Mike sat.

"Well, I was thinking we could fit some more training in before Mana gets here, assuming Jill gets up in time!" Mike said with a laugh.

"She wouldn't really sleep in that late, would she?" Tiffany said.

"No, she doesn't usually sleep in very late. I just like to give her a bad time because she's such a bear if you try to get her up before she's ready." Mike replied.

"I guess if we're going to follow Mana's advice we're going to have to choose another world to visit soon." Sarah said thoughtfully.

Erica nodded, "Yes, that's a good idea. I'll have to leave choosing the world up to you guys, though. My time is going to be pretty limited after today."

"That's right, you're going back to Harvard. Your plane leaves tomorrow, right?" Tiffany asked.

"Yep. But I'll still be around when I can, thanks to Sarah's portals. Last semester was pretty crazy, though, so I don't know how often that will be." Erica replied.

I have a feeling it will be more often than you think. Vash sent. They were all startled by his sudden addition to the conversation, except for Erica who heard his words from Sarah. But they weren't surprised when Jill came out with Vash on her shoulder a few minutes later.

"So why do you think it will be more often?" Erica asked once Jill had taken a seat at the table.

Your chrysalis. It doesn't just make you stronger and faster, and allow you to heal quickly. It replaces all of your body, over time, with a hyper evolved version. That means your brain will be enhanced, as well. Vash replied.


 To Be Continued…
 
Thanks to everyone who suggested names for the company! Below are the ones I used:

  1. JT
  2. Eric
  3. Eric
  4. Ray Drouillard
  5. Ben
  6. Trish-Ann
  7. Michelle_B
  8. SuZie


up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Stocking the Store

I think the group might want to provide themselves with a little cover by hitting a few estate sales to pick up additional merchandise for their venture. If anyone checks up on them they would have receipts for at least some of the material.

This should provide them at least a partial cover story if anyone gets curious.

Michelle B

Fortunately...

They are innocent until proven guilty. They don't have to prove anything.

On the other hand, reducing suspicion is always a good thing.

Um...er...

is my face red?

Anyway, it looks like a lot of fun is about to begin!

SuZie

You know, it doesn't show!

Mind you, hyperevolved brain is supposed to be a pre-requisite for a whole grand can of psychic abilities. And if we kindly ask Lili to provide us with her source of information for her "Center" story and psychic powers of the teenagers... Well she did mention there were entries she did not consider possible to be called psychic abilities but that were.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

If Lack of Time...

...ever became a problem, they could always let Mike's dragon form take them Between and then back a few hours.

Traveling to the more distant past that way would be fairly pointless for our heroes, since they've visited a lot of stories (Pern one of them) that take place in our future -- or our past, if the Hobbit or Star Wars can be so categorized -- without any ill effects upon their return. The duration of their offworld excursions seems to be constant -- if they're gone for, say, two hours, they come back two hours later than they left.

So if they were looking to travel back to, say, Salem in 1692 -- not that I'd recommend it (g) -- they could presumably do so via portal. I think anything they did there would start a new timeline rather than changing our/their present, but that's a whole other can of worms, and one they're probably happy not to open, unless/until one of the party dies or is incapacitated through misadventure beyond Sarah or Mana's ability to resurrect or heal them.

Getting more hours in a day, on the other hand, might not work via portal, for the reasons described above: our protagonists would find themselves on a new worldline instead. In that context, something like going Between might prove useful.

Many other fictional devices could of course serve the same purpose: Jack Finney's mind-over-matter self-hypnotic solution; dozens of time machines from H.G. Wells's prototype to Harry Harrison's vrimeatron; even Asimov's FTL travel using thiotimoline and the Uncertainty Principle. All of these expressly do leave you in your own timeline (and in Harrison's case at least, even able to discuss strategy with all the other yous you find there -- there's a throwaway line in his Technicolor Time Machine about an animated conversation among ten iterations of the machine's inventor).

And of course the purpose of their continuing to travel to other realities is to enhance their powers in this one. So it's possible that they'd want to pursue this.

Eric

Sigh, how could you forget

that scifi author who had sex changing characters? Robert Heinlein! They need to somehow get a copy of Gay Deceiver in case of emergency... For those that have not read Number of the Beast, Gay Deceiver was the spaceship/dimensional craft that allowed them to shuttle between dimensions, much like the portals, although without a roadmap... Great story Saless! Thanks,
Diana

As For Authentication

Mana could easily provide that using her magic, so could Sarah in time. All that needs to be done is have the pieces authentication be done by having them be a part of some lost treasure, or from some hidden vault in some castle.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Treasure Laundering?

Now that they have a name, the issue is how to justify the ownership and sale of the recovered/liberated treasures. I imagine some archaeological or anthropological types getting their hands on some and question the source of the treasures. Especially, if they try to decipher the runes or other writings on the treasures. Imagine trying to decipher Elfin from 'Lord of the Rings'. Some governments may try to sue to recover their "stolen artifacts".

Small nondescript items, like cups plates or ornaments, probably won't attract too much attention, after all they are still made of solid, pure precious metals. The group can claim they are "Genuine Fantasy Reproductions". Maybe claim that the treasures are part of the Templar treasure sought in the Movie "National Treasure". They could always portal to the movie and bring it back and live off the finder's fee.

The police and other law enforcement agencies do peruse e-bay, Craig's List and other auction sites for stolen objects being sold (fenced).

Large pieces will attract attention. It might be better to use Sarah's powers to melt more obvious pieces, then recast then into less obvious objects. Jill can use her power to for molds and casts for the new items. Or, to keep it simple, they could just use magic to alter them.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

PS: Thanks for the honorable mention. :)

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

It would be interesting...

It would be interesting to see someone try to prove the unprovable -- not that that has never happened in the history of the law.

Fortunately, they have a lawyer on their team who is turning into a super genius.

Love u saless :)

Yet another wonderful edition! Thanks for the name usage, your the best!!! :)

-JT
=^.^=

-JT
=^.^=

Money money...

I wonder how much money they will be making. Will it be enough to buy some land? Or, maybe they just need to get a few small apartments and put permanent portals into them and have their main base elsewhere.

Meanwhile, when are they going to meet with Marvin?