Venus Cursed! - Chapter 49

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 49

The portal opened out in front of a cliff face with an ornate stone door standing wide open. "I take it this is where they came in?" Mike said, looking at the gaping entrance.

"Yes, that should be it. Mike, you and I should go first." Erica replied, drawing her sword in her right hand and putting her left on one of her pistols.

"Yeah, I guess so." Mike agreed, drawing the falchion and stepping through the door. Erica followed close behind him and Sarah and Jill followed, with Vash riding Jill's shoulder.

There is no one I can detect nearby. Vash said to the group. He was enjoying not having to hide himself this time.

"I can't feel anybody but us, either." Jill agreed.

"At least we don't have to worry about light." Mike said, gesturing at the torches lining the hall with his chin. Erica nodded and they continued inside, noticing two dead bodies that looked well decayed just inside the door. "Are you sure we didn't arrive a really long time after this happened?" Mike asked.

Erica looked at the corpses and said, "No, those were zombies. Most of the monsters in this place are undead."

"Zombies?! Are we sure they're really dead?" Jill exclaimed, looking worriedly at the bodies.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Besides, zombies are mindless. If they were alive, or whatever you call it, they'd be attacking us already." Erica replied confidently.

Sarah shrugged when Jill looked to her and they continued on. They came across other bodies as they went, one of which seemed fresh. "What about that one?" Mike asked when he saw it.

"That was one of the bandits that came in here before us. They got killed one by one as they went into the tomb. We'll find several more before we reach the un-cleared sections." Erica said.

"He had a sword." Jill noted, looking down at her own well-used blade.

Mike looked back to see why she'd commented on that and saw her look. "We can come back for it after we're done if we don't find something better first." he said. Jill nodded.

As Erica had said, they came across more fresh corpses among the once-again-dead undead as they continued deeper into the tomb. After several minutes they came to two side passages. They started down one, but it ended in a small room with a sarcophagus in the center that was lying open. Decayed corpses littered the room, along with one fresher corpse. "Not likely to find anything here." Erica said. The others nodded and they went back to the other side passage.

This hall lead to two rooms, both like the first. Both had been ransacked and were full of corpses. They returned to the main passage and continued on.

I sense something ahead. I think we're about to come to the end of the section our predecessors explored. Vash warned. Erica and Mike, who had re-sheathed their weapons, drew them again. Sarah drew an arrow and held it against the string of her bow, while Jill grasped the hilt of her sword. As ready as they could be, they started forwards once more.

Before long they came to what had obviously been the previous group's last stand. Several fresh corpses were surrounded by dozens of decayed ones. "That's it for the free ride. Time to be alert." Erica said, though they all were already. The fight had occurred at another junction with two side passages.

"Vash, can you tell if there's anything down the left hand passage?" Jill asked.

Undead are difficult to read, but I think there is. In fact, I think behind us is the only direction that doesn't have at least some monsters to worry about. Vash replied.

"Vash says there are undead in every direction except the one we came from." Jill said for Erica's benefit.

Erica nodded thoughtfully. "Mike, why don't you take lead and I'll fall back and take up the rear-guard. These guys were obviously attacked from all directions at once." she said. Mike nodded and stepped forward with his sword in both hands in front of him while Erica slipped to the rear of the group and drew a gun in her left hand while holding her sword out in her right. "I'm ready when you are." she called back to Mike.

Mike started moving forward again, with Sarah ready to lend support. She was unsure how useful her bow would be against undead, but she still had her fireballs to fall back on, as well as her portals.

The passage eventually ended at a closed door. "We've got a closed door up here, should I open it?" Mike called back.

"Might as well." Erica called back. Reluctantly, he did so. A loud gong-like sound echoed throughout the tomb as soon as Mike opened the door. "Okay, maybe that wasn't the best idea." Erica said sheepishly as a shuffling could be heard from the direction they came.

"Yeah, we've got zombies or something in the room!" Mike said, lifting his sword up higher ready to strike. Just then there was an explosion behind them. "Was that you Erica?" Mike called out worriedly, not daring to take his eyes off of the zombies shuffling towards him.

"No! I don't know what that was, but I haven't fired a shot!" Erica yelled back. Two zombies were approaching slowly towards her. She was just trying to decide if she should shoot or not when a small ball of flame and sparks shot past her and struck the lead zombie. The fireball exploded, sending the zombies sprawling in pieces. "Thanks Sarah!" Erica called over her shoulder, still watching in case they got back up.

"No problem!" Sarah replied happily. She was happy, in a way, that they were facing undead, as she didn't have to feel any guilt about killing them.

Sarah heard Mike grunting and turned to see him hacking at the zombies trying to get at him through the open door. She drew back on her bow and released. The arrow buried itself in the zombie's skull, but didn't seem to slow it down at all. "I don't think my bow is going to be very useful here!" she said, turning back to watch over Erica since she couldn't use her fireballs to help Mike.

Four more zombies were approaching Erica, though two of them were missing an arm each and all of them looked a little singed. "How come they're all burned, but your fireball only hit two?" Erica wondered aloud.

"Maybe they got caught up in that explosion earlier?" Sarah suggested, launching another fireball. This one was a little closer and knocked Jill and Sarah off their feet. Erica didn't seem affected.

"Let's not use explosive spells or bullets quite so close, okay?" Jill said archly as she picked herself back up.

"Sorry." Sarah muttered, getting back up in time to see Erica chop off the arm of one of the zombies. Erica seemed quite capable of dealing with that zombie, but two of the ones she'd blasted were back on their feet. They were in pretty bad shape, but they were still moving. Sarah opened a portal under their feet and linked it to another portal in the ceiling farther down the corridor. The fall wasn't enough to hurt them, but it put them far enough away to blast them with another fireball.

"Damn!" Mike cursed, as one of the zombies managed to rake its claws across his face. His body rippled as it changed and he took on his naga form again. He coiled his serpentine lower body and shot forward, knocking the zombies back into the room. He quickly slithered back out and to the side of the door. "Sarah, can we have some fire in this hole?" he yelled.

Sarah dashed to the door and yelled, "Vascor!" ducking back as soon as the spell was cast. Even so she was singed a bit by the backlash of the fireball.

"Thanks!" Mike said, slithering back into the room. All the zombies were on the ground, so Mike had an easy time lopping their heads off before they could recover. That seemed to do the trick. "Everyone in the room!" he called, taking up a position just to the side of the door. Sarah and Jill hurried in to follow him, and Erica followed once they were in. She and Mike then hacked and stabbed at the zombies as they reached the door.

"Might as well see if there's anything in here we can use." Sarah said, looking around the room. Jill joined her and they quickly determined that the room was bare except for the corpses and the sarcophagus in the center. "Should we open it?" she asked.

Jill shrugged, "Sure, why not? There's often treasure in these things in the books and games."

"Wait, don't!" Erica yelled, momentarily distracted from the fight at the door. She was too late.


 
To Be Continued…

up
131 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

When Will Their

Taking things from other worlds cause an imbalance of some sort?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ah, but whose to say that

Ah, but whose to say that something else doesn't change at the same time to keep the balance? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Imbalance?

I've read enough sci fi, as well as regular science, to realize that bringing matter from one universe to another can up set the laws governing each universe. Like causing magic to occur where it is not available and reducing magic in the "giving" universe, or something like in "Angels and Demons" where antimatter reacts adversely with regular matter causing minor condition commonly referred to as "Total Annihilation."

I trust that our fearless author has taken all necessary precautions. But it appears that the Expidetion leader, Erica, neglected to caution her companions about possible consequences of any actions in this quest. It does keep the story interesting.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception.~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Well I think it's safe to

Well I think it's safe to say they're not facing that 'Total Annihilation' thing... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

This reminds me situation

This reminds me situation from czech DrD, where our Kroll Sorceror (with inteligence 9 of 21) pressed the Big RED Button. It was no fun at all, becouase atfer that we heard the typical saying: This tower will autodestruct in 10 minutes. If wish to terminate function say a password within a minute...

Yay lucky me!!!

I am one of the first to throw a totally wild idea! The Tomb of Horrors!
What? I can't be the only one to think that! After all, it will be some really wild adventure!
So, whaddaya think?

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Tomb of Horrors? What's

Tomb of Horrors? What's that from?

Saless

P.S. I guess I've answered that one, huh? ;)
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Is There Something Here...

...that turns people into idiots? (Vash, maybe? But Vash can't mentally influence Erica...)

This trip was billed as mostly a scavenging expedition where just a bit of cleanup would be necessary. Instead they go beyond the safety zone -- into an area their book didn't describe? -- and find themselves fighting zombies using weapons not particularly suited to the purpose, still without a clear reward in sight. It's time to open a portal, get out of Dodge and try something else, whether it's returning with more suitable melt-them-to-slag type weaponry or finding someplace with a better risk-reward ratio.

I'll concede that people their age think they're invincible even when they haven't been supernaturally enhanced, and that our protagonists seem to be treating this as a conventional D&D adventure rather than anything where their actual life or health is on the line -- which seems a little odd, after what they went through with the wizard in their last RPG-style encounter.

But I'd still prefer to root for heroes who are more intelligent than these folks seem to be demonstrating.

Eric

The wizard didn't really

The wizard didn't really harm any of them, though. He did turn Mike into a wolf, but that's kind of par for the course for him. Overall the most traumatic thing about that trip was for Sarah since she killed the apprentice.

As for intelligence, well, even the smartest people make dumb mistakes from time to time! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Like i said

yesterday, Trouble was never going to be faraway when you let Erica call the shots.... Lets just hope that she also knows when its a good time to beat a hasty retreat!!!

Its also quite remarkable the change that comes over people when faced with dangerous situations, Take Mike for instance if you had told him before all this had started that he would be chopping off heads without a second thought, Then i'm pretty sure you would have got a look of total bewilderment, That he such a nice respectable man could ever contemplate such a terrible thing....Although faced with the reality of the situation what could he have done? After all this is not the real world is it? So does it really matter if a few zombies meet an untimely end !

Kirri

Yep, that's something that

Yep, that's something that Vash commented on earlier. Mike's a nice guy most of the time, but he can be vicious when it's needed! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Question

[email protected] Am I the only one who is a bit put off by Erica ?

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

Judging by the other

Judging by the other comments, I think it's safe to say NO! ;) That's okay, I expected that reaction!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Erica...

She has the most experience of this dungeon, so should probably be in any advance party. Besides which, it'll give her a chance to scout out the rooms as they enter them and explain non-obvious hazards such as the chest...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Loot

There has to be safer ways of acquiring loot than by crawling through a dungeon.

I think Erica and Tiffany might end up becoming good friends. They have so much in common. They're both nuts.

You're probably right,

You're probably right, unfortunately most stories don't have treasures lying about waiting to be claimed! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Treasures

Go to a universe where what you seek is not a treasure. Gold is relatively cheap in both the Star Trek and Known Space universes, for instance.

Or...

Visit Hudson Hawk Universe and persuade Leonardo to make you some gold with his device ;)
After all, if it's not used in his world to shatter economy, why would he bother?

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!