Venus Cursed! - Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 9

Sean awoke refreshed and set about getting ready for another day at work. Quicker than usual, he was on his way. He felt more alive than he had in weeks, but his good mood didn't last for long.

"Hey pussy, you're looking happy, have a nice night with your boyfriend?" Kyle asked with a sneer as Sean walked in. He was one of Sean's more abusive coworkers. As Sean walked over to the time clock Kyle shoved him out of his way and walked out. That set the tone for the rest of Sean's day. Why are they suddenly so hostile? he wondered.

Once again, Sean was quick to leave when his shift was over. Kyle and a couple of his friends were standing around talking not far from the door Sean exited from. When they saw Sean they started moving his way. Sean quickened his pace and jumped in his car and locked it before they could catch up with him. They were laughing as he pulled away.

Sean only relaxed once he was home. After locking up his car he headed over to Jill and Mike's.

"Hey Sean, how's it going?" Mike greeted when Sean entered the apartment. He was seated on the couch with a small stack of books sitting next to him.

"Fine." Sean answered in a monotone. He took a seat at the kitchen table.

Mike took one look at his face and headed back to Jill's studio. "Jill, Sean's here and something's bothering him." He told her.

"Okay, I'll be right there." She replied, intent on her painting.

"What are you working on?" Mike asked curiously, trying to peer around her shoulder.

"Just a portrait." Jill replied evasively.

"A portrait of whom?" Mike asked. He couldn't quit see what she was working on from where he was standing, and he knew from experience that she would block him from getting any closer. She hated to let anyone see her work before it was finished.

"Nobody, just an image I got stuck in my head." She replied vaguely.

Jill wouldn't say any more, so Mike returned to the living room to look at the selection of books he and Jill had picked out. When he glanced in the kitchen he saw that Sean was busy working on dinner. Shrugging, he went back to his perusal.

Jill felt guilty about hiding what she was doing from Mike, but she didn't know why. She'd just gotten this image stuck in her mind since last night. She'd been working on it all day and was nearly finished. For some reason she didn't want Mike to see it, or Sean. She shrugged and got back to work.

Sean, meanwhile, was busy working on dinner. He was trying hard not to think about his problems, so he focused instead on cooking. He ended up making far too much food for just the three of them.

"Hey Mike, dinner's ready!" he called out. Mike went back and retrieved Jill, still without getting a glimpse of her mysterious portrait.

They were quiet through dinner. It wasn't until Sean was cleaning up afterwards that anyone said anything. "So what's bothering you, Sean?" Jill asked. It didn't take her long to pick up on it.

"Nothing." He mumbled as he worked.

"It's not nothing Sean. Tell us." Jill insisted.

"Just a little harassment at work." He muttered, still not looking at them.

"No, how they normally treat you at work is 'a little harassment'. For you to be this bothered it's got to have gotten worse!" Jill replied.

This got Mike's instant attention. "What happened, Sean?" he asked dangerously. If someone hurt him… he thought angrily.

Jill put a hand on Mike's arm to calm him and turned a questioning glance on Sean. "Well?"

"Okay, so it's gotten a little worse." Sean admitted sullenly.

"In what way?" Jill asked.

Sean shrugged. "They're more hostile than they used to be." He said, hoping that would satisfy them.

"Has it gotten physical?" Jill asked worriedly.

He shrugged again. "Not really."

"Exactly what is happening?" Jill asked, annoyed at his evasiveness.

With a little more prodding he finally told them about the last few days. "This sounds serious, have you talked to a supervisor or manager?" Mike asked.

Sean shook his head. "One of the worst of the lot is a supervisor; I doubt it would accomplish anything good. Weren't we going to do another of your crazy experiments?" he asked in hopes of changing the subject.

Jill and Mike both frowned, but decided to let it go for now. "I do have a book I want you two to look at." Jill said.

"You do? You've been working on that portrait all day, when did you have time to look at books?" Mike asked.

"While you were at work, of course. This was an inspired choice, I think." Jill replied and went into the living room to retrieve a book from the pile on the couch. "Here it is!" she said triumphantly and handed the book to Mike.

Sean finally finished cleaning up and walked over to see what it was. "You want to use a book on Greek and Roman gods?!" he asked in shock.

Jill shrugged. "Sure, why not? We can do a little experimenting and maybe get some help at the same time. After all, a god ought to be able to figure out why you can open portals to other worlds, right?"

Mike and Sean gaped at her for a moment before Sean was able to find his voice and said, "You must be crazy! They're always depicted as being unpredictable and dangerous. We go asking around Mt. Olympus we're liable to get turned to stone or something!"

"Not if we're careful. I bet if you focus on a particular part of a book that you can control, at least to some extent, where the portal opens up. The goddess of love and beauty should be safe enough, don't you think?" she asked.

"You have a point." Mike conceded. "That would make a good test, and I wouldn't think a goddess of love would be that dangerous."

"You're kidding, right?" Sean asked hopefully. Jill shook her head. "All the gods in those myths are dangerous!" Sean protested.

"But we can always go back through the portal if we're in trouble. And I bet you can close the portal after we get there, and then open it back up whenever we need it." Jill countered.

"Are you trying to get us killed?" Sean asked wearily.

"Come on, Sean, give it a try! We can portal in somewhere safe and test your ability to open and close the portal. Then we'll come back and open a new portal to wherever Aphrodite or Venus are." Jill replied.

"Why don't we use that manga from yesterday for the first test." Mike suggested.

"That I'll do, but I won't even consider going near a god unless I'm sure I can open the portal anywhere!" Sean declared firmly.

Jill sighed, but conceded the point. "Okay, we'll do it your way."

Mike retrieved Imadoki! and handed it to Sean. He opened the portal and they all walked through, not holding hands anymore now that they knew it wasn't necessary.

"Okay, Sean, close the portal." Jill instructed.

Sean took a deep breath and then closed the book. Nothing happened at first, but then he concentrated on the portal closing, and it did!

"Now try opening the portal back to the apartment." Jill said.

Sean did as she said and the portal soon appeared. They could see the living room of Jill and Mike's apartment and the pile of books on the couch. "Alright, Sean, you did it!" Jill exclaimed.

"Now we need to know you can open the portal from different places." Mike pointed out.

Sean nodded and closed the portal. He then walked a few dozen feet away and opened it again. It appeared right next to him as it always did. "I wonder if I can make it open somewhere other than right next to me…" he wondered aloud.

"Try it!" Jill encouraged.

Sean nodded and closed the portal. Then he concentrated on the area by the gate to the school. The portal appeared right where he planned. "Satisfied?" Jill asked.

Sean seemed stunned at his success. "I…I guess so. Maybe this idea of yours will work after all."

With that Sean closed the portal and reopened it next to him. They all filed through and Sean closed the portal again. "I don't even have to drop the book to do it!" Sean breathed in awe. "I guess I'm getting better at this."

"Okay, now let's find a good place to portal in to." Jill suggested, handing the other book to Sean.

"That could take a while. Why don't I take this home with me and mark the spot, then we can go there tomorrow?" Sean suggested. Jill and Mike agreed, so Sean left with the book.

After a quick IM chat with Erica, Sean sat down to read.


 To Be Continued…

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As they are soon to visit Venus ...

I assume this is where we learn of The Venus Curse?

It clearly predates his/their inter-dimensional travels, And will the goddess explain his increasing harassment at work? I assume he is turning female -- the Venus Curse? The painting Jill is working on but will not show to our hero/heroine suggests that is the case as it strongly reinforces the slurs at work. And didn't at least one of the alternate dimensions have people who mistook him for a girl?

The big question, why him?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Good insight John!

You're right that the title's origin is coming up (two chapters to go!). You have a lot of good questions, but I can't answer them just yet! ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I would suspect

That rather than/prior to turning him into a girl the Curse makes people percieve him as a female rather than male, like he is giving off feminine vibes, as opposed to masculine. However, people also see-believe he is male in body and this incongruity irritates them a lot. So to his coworkers he is a queer, to gay he is attractive, and so on.

Faraway

Edit: And why, pray tell, did they not get a sane idea of using the Holy Bible so as to get some answers from The Big Guy Out There? After all, unlike Greek Gods, he is supposed to be a benign, beneficial and good-to-be-around kind of Deity.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

More good ideas! As for the

More good ideas! As for the bible, lots of reasons. For one, I didn't even think of it! Seriously! For another, there are a lot more instances in Greek myths of gods interacting directly and indirectly with people than there are in the bible. From this one could make the assumption that the Greek/Roman gods were more approachable. Especially if you consider that the biblical god did a whole lot more damage to humans than the Greek/Roman gods!

Thanks Faraway!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

HTCT!

BTW, some people actually have an opinion that the New Testament and the Old Testament are devoted to different gods entirely! And the New Testament version is more benign.

Also, it seems that the Greek Gods are asses, plain and simple. They are not above screwing with individual mortals. The Biblical God, OTOH, is the Deity with wide approach policy.

And if they wanted to ask a Greek God, why not choose Athena, who is supposed to be the Goddess of Justice and Wisdom? I don't remember her being a b.tch, unlike Aphrodita and Hera.

http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Arachne.html
http://www.goddessgift.com/goddess-myths/greek-goddess-arach...
http://www.theoi.com/Heroine/Arakhne.html

Though she did make Arachne a spider. The links provide a couple of retellings and views of that particular myth.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

My choice too!

Hey I'm with Faraway. My thought too was Athena because her reputation was far less nasty and selfish than Aphrodite. I considered Artemis, but a quick search reminded me she was prone to transform and kill those who came up on her unexpected. Athena would be the best bet, but all of the Greek gods were fickle at best.

The idea of seeking help in the pages of books is an interesting idea, but being an artist I can see why she would choose the myths. They and the classical art they inspired are widely taught. I might try one of the fantasy wizards but they are a nearly as dangerous a group as the Greek Gods. Gandalf certainly had his own agenda as does Elminster. Maybe a visit to to Dumbledore would be safer. :)

Hugs!

grover

There really isn't a good

There really isn't a good choice, I think. Any of them could turn on you in an instant if they felt offended. Even Athena did this at least once, in the case of Arachne. True, Arachne was over confident and maybe even a bit of b#*%&, but still! ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I can certainly see where

I can certainly see where someone could see the Old Testament and New Testament as being devoted to two different gods, they certainly are very different! And yes, the Greek gods are jerks for the most part.

They chose the goddess by how harmless she seemed based on her aspect, rather than on the myths themselves. Probably a mistake! ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Seans work life

does seem to be something of a trial to him at present, You do hope that what ever he might find on his trips to other worlds or places will help him sort out the likes of Kyle and his fellow bully's.

I have to be honest here, Having been the victim of bullying at work, I know that the only way to stop it is to face up to whoever is causing you the problem, Sean clearly at the moment does not feel able to do that, So the bully wins again... Hopefully in the future something will change for Sean...It can't come quickly enough for me!!!

Hugs Kirri

Oh, things will change for

Oh, things will change for Sean alright... ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

The Curse

Could be because Sean is a follower or attendant of Venus and betrayed her, or stood up to Mars-Ares, and he cursed Sean, that would explain things.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The nature of the curse

will be revealed tomorrow in chapter 11! Well, kind of, anyway... ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America