Venus Cursed! - Chapter 96

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 96

Wow, future wife! That sounds weird! Erica thought as she watched Sarah cook. Wonderful, but weird. I always thought I'd be the wife, and I will, but I'll also have a wife! I certainly never expected that! As her eyes followed Sarah around the room she realized all over again how beautiful she was. Sarah stopped, glancing over her shoulder, and smiled widely before returning to her work.

“What's with the grin?” Mike asked.

Erica hadn't realized she was grinning like a fool until Mike pointed it out. “I'm happy, that's all.” she said.

Mike grinned, “Yeah, I can see why. You two were made for each other!”

Erica blushed and looked away for a moment, and then looked back at Mike. “What about you and Jill? You're pretty well joined at the hip.” she replied.

“Yeah, but compared to you two we're an old married couple!” he said with a laugh.

Erica laughed, too, and then thought about what he'd said. “When are you going to pop the question?” she asked shrewdly.

Mike coughed and looked surprised by the question, “What do you mean?

Erica snorted, “Come on, you know what I mean! Both of you must have thought about it since I proposed to Sarah. And I've seen the expression on your face a few times when we were talking about wedding plans.”

Mike looked conflicted for a moment, and then leaned forward to whisper his reply, “Okay, but I don't want you to tell anyone else what I tell you, okay?” Erica nodded and leaned forward with interest. “You're right, I have been thinking about it. I'm sure Jill has, too, but she hasn't said anything. I don't know if she's waiting for me, or what. But I've been spending some time looking around jewelry stores for an engagement ring. But I'm not proposing until after the two of you get married. I don't want to distract anyone from your wedding.”

“That's sweet, but I'm sure Sarah wouldn't mind a little distraction. Especially if it's her best friend getting married, too!” Erica said.

Mike nodded, “I know she wouldn't. That's the way she is. But I really want her wedding to be something special. She's had a hard life up to now, and I want her to be the focus.”

“You're a good friend, Mike. But as soon as our wedding is out of the way, you've got to propose to Jill. No keeping her waiting, okay?” Erica said.

Grinning, Mike said, “What do you think I planned on doing? Besides, this gives me some time to find the right ring. It's proving to be more difficult than I thought.”

“Hmm, I have a thought about that. When I was looking through the stuff at the tomb I saw a few rings that would make good engagement rings. Maybe one of them would suit you?” Erica said.

“Maybe, but how would I get a chance to look at them without Sarah or Jill knowing what I was doing?” Mike replied.

“That's easy!” Erica said with a grin. “Tiffany was planning on selling some of the stuff she got there on eBay, and Sarah thought we could do that, too. But we'd have to go back to the tomb for that. So we go back to move all that stuff to the empty world and take photographs of stuff we want to try and sell, and you can use that as a cover to look through it and find an engagement ring.”

“That's a good idea.” Mike agreed. “I'm sure Sarah, in particular, could use the money. Her transformation has been rather expensive for her. And you guys could use the money for planning your wedding, too. Let's get started on that right after dinner!”

“Get started on what?” Tiffany asked. Mike and Erica looked up in surprise, but Sarah was still on the other side of the room and seemed oblivious.

“Your idea, to sell stuff from the tomb.” Mike replied.

“Oh, yeah. I've been wanting to get started on that, but I need a camera so I can post pictures of what I'm selling. I've been meaning to ask if any of you have a camera I could borrow.” Tiffany said.

“Jill has one, and we could all work on it together. In fact, now that I think of it, we should establish some kind of business for this. For tax purposes.” Mike said thoughtfully.

Erica nodded, “I could get started on that tomorrow. It shouldn't take me long to set up a corporation and set us all up as owners and officers of it. Then we can make up paychecks when we sell something or whatever. Then we only have to worry about the corporation's taxes, ours will be deducted from the paychecks just like our regular jobs.”

“I almost forgot what it was that you're studying; of course you'd know how to do all this!” Mike said. “But why officers? Do we really need that?”

“Sure, every corporation has to have officers. It's no big deal, though.” Erica replied.

“Hey Mike, could you get Jill?” Sarah asked. That broke up the discussion and soon they were all eating. Mike brought a chair out of Jill's studio so they'd all have a place to sit at the table, or on the table in Vash's case.

I believe Mike and Erica have an idea that has merit. Vash said as he ate off of Jill's plate. Mike had gotten in the habit of putting a lot more on Jill's plate than she would eat so Vash could eat off of it.

You heard that, huh? Yeah, we were talking about setting up a business to sell the stuff from the tomb. And anything else we might want to that we find in other worlds, for that matter. Mike thought.

Tiffany was already planning on doing this, but if we work together we can get a lot more done. We can use Jill's camera to take pictures of everything so we can sell it online. I'll set up a corporation to handle the tax aspects of it. We'll need to go to the tomb and move everything to the empty world, though. Erica sent via Sarah.

Won't we get in trouble with the IRS or something selling that stuff? Jill asked as she stabbed a piece of meat just before Vash could get his claws on it.

No. So long as we report our income and pay the appropriate taxes on it, they won't be involved at all. We're not actually breaking any laws by selling it, anyway. We'd only get in trouble if we sold it and kept all the money without reporting anything to the IRS. Then we could get in trouble! Erica replied.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I could use some extra money to finish rebuilding my wardrobe. Which reminds me, I need to get rid of all my old clothes. I'll never wear them again! Sarah said.

It all sounds great to me, I probably would have gotten myself in all kinds of trouble if I'd tried to do this alone like I'd planned. Tiffany sent. Her mental 'voice' was difficult to hear for the others, but she could be understood if she concentrated enough. Fortunately she didn't have the same problems hearing them.

Why don't we pack up all of Sarah's old clothes after dinner, and then go move everything to the empty world? Erica suggested. The others agreed and they finished eating.

“What are you doing Sarah?” Mike asked as he was washing dishes. She'd been handing dirty dishes to him to wash, but she was holding a plate and staring at it. To his surprise what looked like a small portal opened up and moved across the surface of the plate. The bits of food on the plate disappeared into the portal and the plate was soon completely clean. “Did you just use a portal to wash a plate?!” he exclaimed.

She shrugged, “I just wanted to see if I could do it.” She handed the clean plate to Mike and went back to the table to retrieve the rest.

Jill decided to get in on the action and levitated all of the remaining dishes on the table. Some settled into Sarah's hands while the rest flew slowly over to Mike who grabbed them out of the air one at a time with a bemused expression. Sarah cleaned the ones in her hands and put them away while Mike washed the others. Jill even cleaned a few with telekinesis once she was only holding a few up.

“Are you two done showing off yet?” Erica asked with a grin. They grinned and began drying the dishes Mike had washed the same way they'd cleaned the others. It soon became a competition between the two of them and Sarah began portalling the dishes to put them away in order to compete with Jill's levitating them away.


 
To Be Continued…

up
134 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now thats the way

to do your house work....With no effort!!!.... Speaking of portals, Is there anything to stop Sarah opening a very small one to spy on the watcher?

Kirri

Very sneaky!

That's a great idea, Kirri! The portal need only be big enough to insert a CCD pinhole camera.

I was a bit more mundane in my thinking, I was wondering about portaling out the trash straight to the dump. Or somewhere.

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

More sneakiness

Portal sleeping gas over to people who are spying upon or threatening you. Portal tranquilizer directly into the bloodstream. Portal Wilie E Coyote's genuine Acme anvil over the heads of your enemies. Portal them about ten feet over a body of water.

I suspect that Sarah is going to get TK and a whole lot of other cool powers. They need to go find some magic artifacts that she can copy.

So many uses, eh? I'm not

So many uses, eh? I'm not sure about opening portals within someone's body, though. Would it damage the body where it opened? A little damage to a blood vessel could result in internal bleeding, which could be fatal, I believe. I like the anvil idea, though! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Ooh, that makes me think of

Ooh, that makes me think of those movies where they shove the camera through a vent or something to spy on the bad guys (Or good guys, as the case may be). With the addition of portals those things would be sooo much more useful! (Those are what you were talking about, right?)

There are so many useful ways of making use of Sarah's portals! How much easier would life be? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Just wait for chapter 97!

Just wait for chapter 97! ;)

Saless

P.S. Yes, I've already written 97, and I'm working on 98 now! I might just get my buffer back at this rate!! ^_^
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

The IRS and taxes

While paying your taxes will save you from the IRS, Sarah and her friends will be admitting that they have access to some very unusual objects made of precious metals and gold among other things. I am no lawyer, but I do know that things could get sticky if they have no demonstrable method of obtaining those objects in the first place. While I believe that it is the government's job to prove illegality, I seem to recall a case where they went after someone for supposedly discovering gold without any viable mining operation (the government thought the people were smuggling it in from Mexico or some such.) Certainly, there could be quite a media frenzy when their corporation starts trotting out the unique pieces they have "found."

SuZie

I'm no expert, either, but I

I'm no expert, either, but I think it's only really a problem with raw ore or bars of gold (or other precious metals). With jewelry and other objects they should be safe enough, I think.

They shouldn't attract too much attention, since they'll be selling it online through eBay. The pieces they're selling will be lost among the millions of other things being sold online. I was curious so I did a little looking around eBay, and there are some really expensive pieces on there, so it would probably fit in pretty well.

Saless

P.S. Interesting bit of trivia I learned at a museum I went to on my last camping trip: The reason they made bars out of the gold is because they're too heavy for one person to carry. Which made it really hard to steal it. Especially since two people carrying one bar would still be moving pretty slowly. The way they show people picking up bars of gold on TV is totally bogus! ;)
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Guv'mnt (and other) trouble

No government agency has a legitimate reason to ask where the Scooby Gang get the goodies that they are selling, but that won't stop people from being suspicious. The police or FBI will probably smell a rat and look for enough evidence to get a get a warrant. On the outside chance that they succeed, everyone needs to make sure that they have a clean house.

There is a slight chance that someone will want to frame them. Of course, they don't know who they're messing with. I would expect our heroes to somehow turn it around and either embarrass or cause their detractors to be prosecuted (obstruction of justice, planting false evidence, or whatever.)

The people I worry a bout more are the shady types. Someone may want 'a piece of the action,' and offer to sell them 'protection.'

Again, they don't know who they're messing with. Sarah and company may be very gentle about dealing with innocent government agents who are faithfully doing their duty, but I doubt if they'll worry any more about the mafia than they did about that wizard that tried to kill them.

Flying Dishes!

(Flying Saucers?)

My favorite kitty people do the same thing when clearing the table (without the portal, of course.) I wonder if Jill will figure out how to TK her hair dry, or if Sarah will figure out how to portal the water away.

Will Erica's Cocoon powers give her a way to do things like that?

Cocoon powers? Are you

Cocoon powers? Are you referring to the chrysalis, perhaps? ;) The chrysalis never gave anyone telekinetic abilities in Oni, as I recall, but they really didn't have a large sampling of subjects to work with, so who knows?

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

TK hair drying?

Have you told Jade Sinclair yet? Since Fey, Chaka, Rip and Ayla all have 'interesting' showering rituals, perhaps Jann-sensei could find one for Jade?

Actually, thinking about it, since Jann/Jinn in Whateley can do massages / spa baths, could Jill in VC learn to apply TK to her skin?

-oOo-

Oh, and where's Sarah portalling the food scraps to? They live in an apartment, so presumably don't have their own compost heap, but is there a garden / compost heap at the house they're using in Empty World? That could be an interesting experiment - is it just mammalian life that's disappeared, or have fungi / unicellular organisms died out as well?

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Sarah's Catering and Detective Service...

Kirri's comments about kitchen cleaning and spy cameras brought something to my mind out of one of the Perry Mason books (circa 1960). Needing to identify a set of fingerprints from someone at a client's dinner party, Mason's detective Paul Drake rents a catering van that's set up to double as a fingerprint lab.

Not sure how much business Sarah would get by combining dishwashing and spy services, but maybe an ad on Craigslist...

Eric