Venus Cursed! - Chapter 30

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 30

"I don't have any control over it! I just pick up surface thoughts and feelings sometimes." Jill hurried to reassure Sarah. She wasn't sure why Sarah was upset, but felt that the reassurance would calm her. It did. Sarah took a deep breath and relaxed back into the couch.

"So when did this start?" Sarah asked with feigned nonchalance.

Somehow Jill knew that this wasn't a good time to push Sarah, so she let her change the subject. "I'm not sure. I think it's been going on for a while. At first I just thought it was my imagination, but this time it was too clear to be that." Jill replied.

"What was too clear?" Sarah asked cautiously.

"What I felt from that boy and his friends. I knew exactly what had happened after he got back inside and what he intended. What I felt from you wasn't as clear, though." Jill said.

Mike looked a bit lost. That there was more going on than what had been said was clear even to him, but neither Jill nor Sarah were saying anything about it. "Uh, why weren't Sarah's thoughts as clear as that kids?" Mike asked, having decided to ask Jill about it later.

"I didn't hear Sarah's thoughts at all." Jill replied. "I just got the feeling that she wasn't serious about leaving him like that. I got his thoughts loud and clear, though."

"Have you felt anything else from either of us?" Sarah asked.

"A little. I've anticipated something Mike was going to say word for word and picked up a few thoughts and feelings from him. From you I've only picked up fleeting bits like today." Jill said.

Sarah seemed relieved at this. "So I guess we know how traveling with me is changing you." She said.

"Yeah, I guess we do." Jill agreed.

"I'd like to know how it's changing me, though." Mike complained. "I know I've changed shape a couple of times, but exactly how does that work? And will I ever have any control over it?"

Sarah grinned, "Well, there's one way to find out."

"What did you have in mind?" Mike asked cautiously.

"Just a little trip." Sarah replied offhandedly.

"You want to go to another world already?" Jill asked incredulously, thinking about the state Sarah had been in when they returned.

"Sure." Sarah said with a shrug. "I even know where I want to go." She got up and stepped over to the nearest bookcase. A quick scan found the title she was looking for. "Here we are." She said, handing the book to Mike.

Mike rolled his eyes, "More dragons?" he whined theatrically.

Jill looked over his shoulder at the book. "That's not a bad choice, it's not nearly as dangerous as some."

Mike shrugged, "Okay, if you want." He said resignedly.

Sarah smiled widely as she opened the portal. She didn't even bother opening the book, and put it back in its place in the bookshelf once the portal was open. "Lets go!" she called happily, jumping through the portal. Mike rolled his eyes at Jill and they followed.

They found themselves on a dirt road. It extended off to the horizon on one side and to a castle-like building in the other direction. Trees pressed in on either side. "Now what?" Mike groused.

Sarah gestured at the building in the distance. "We'll go that way." She said. Jill shrugged at Mike and they followed Sarah up the road. They walked for almost two hours before a commotion behind them caused them to stop and turn.

Behind them a group of riders had just burst out of the cover of the trees. They all wore leather armor and were armed with swords and daggers. They drew their weapons as they turned towards them. "Uh, Sarah, they don't look too friendly." Mike warned, as Sarah had started walking towards them.

Sarah laughed, "I know!" and kept walking. Jill and Mike were both beginning to worry about Sarah's sanity and hurried after her, intent on dragging her away from the men bearing down on them.

"Hey guys!" Sarah called cheerfully to the men galloping towards them. "I want you to help out my friend Mike here." She continued, gesturing towards Mike as he caught up with her.

The riders ignored her and encircled the trio, their weapons pointing inwards. Sarah grabbed onto Jill's hand and plopped down on the dirt road, dragging Jill down with her. "Okay Mike, time to turn into something big and nasty again!" Sarah said cheerfully. Jill glanced at Sarah as if she'd completely lost her mind. Sarah grinned back at her and winked. Portals started opening up around them, fencing them in. Mike was outside this barrier. "Don't worry!" Sarah whispered to Jill. "I'll bring him into the ring if I have to."

Jill shook her head in wonder at what Sarah was doing. Opening two portals and linking them together was one thing, this was a complete wall of portals! Mike didn't seem to notice what was happening, and was taking his job of protecting Jill and Sarah seriously. He faced off against the riders in a ready stance, trying to will himself to change into something that could protect them.

Jill gasped as one of the men swung his blade at Mike, but Mike easily dodged it as he was barely within the man's reach. Another man took aim at Mike, but he rolled to avoid the swing and came back up on his feet. They crowded in closer to Mike and he backed up towards the portal barrier, still unaware it was there. He looked around helplessly, certain he was about to die. That's when he buckled from the intense pain flaring throughout his body. A moment later he was looking down on the riders, who were looking far less confident.

"See Jill, he's a dragon again!" Sarah said loudly. Mike, upon hearing this, realized what had happened and roared at the riders. They scattered in panic, riding back into the trees and disappearing from sight in moments. Sarah looked around to make sure they were all gone and lowered the portal barrier.

"How could you be so sure he would change?" Jill demanded.

"Sorry if I scared you guys, but I had it all under control, really! Besides, I figured out that the other two times Mike changed it was while protecting me. You said Laura told you he was connected to me in some way. I figured his transformations were tied to me being in danger." Sarah replied.

Jill looked thoughtfully at Mike, who was now a large bronze-skinned dragon. "Why would Mike only transform when you're in danger?" she asked jealously.

Probably because it is her ability to open portals that allowed me to gain this ability in the first place. That, and we need her alive in order to get us home. Mike thought to her. Jill was stunned to receive such a clear thought, then remembered that the dragons of this world were telepathic.

"Then why is it harder to hear her thoughts and feel her emotions than it is yours?" Jill asked. Sarah looked at her strangely, not being privy to the telepathic conversation.

Maybe it's because she's always been so withdrawn, it makes her harder to read. Besides, your ability may be needed to be able to talk to me more, if my form can't speak like this one. Mike replied.

"But you're telepathic in that form, you should be able to talk to Sarah without me." Jill countered.

Maybe, but I bet some of the forms I'll end up in can't talk at all. Mike thought.

"Okay, what's going on?" Sarah asked. Mike grinned toothily at Jill, who smiled weakly back.

"We were just having a conversation. Remember, dragons are telepathic in this world." Jill reminded her.

"Oh, yeah, that's right. I forgot about that. I guess dragons here can't talk like they do in Middle Earth." Sarah replied.

"Is this insane little experiment done now?" Jill asked. She was a little annoyed with Sarah for putting Mike in such danger.

"Not quite." Sarah replied. "Mike still needs to figure out how to change back."

And how am I supposed to do that? Mike thought with irritation to Jill.

"He wants to know how he's supposed to do that." Jill relayed.

Sarah looked thoughtful for a moment. "Well, if he thinks about me being safe, maybe that will help." Sarah suggested.

Mike sighed, which sounded very strange coming from a thirty foot long dragon. He closed his eyes and concentrated on Sarah being safe and there being no further danger. To his surprise, the familiar pain came again, and he was back in his own body. "It worked!" he exclaimed happily.

Sarah turned triumphantly to Jill. "So, insane, was it?"


 
To Be Continued…
 


up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Like Jill said

Sarah seems to have a few loose strings in her racket; I think 'insane' fits rather well. I'm afraid Sarah is going to hit something she didn't plan on and she won't be in control.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Who said Sarah was ever in

Who said Sarah was ever in control? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

But . . . .

She thinks she is! She is in for a rude awakening, I suspect. Hopefully the body count when it happens won't include one of her friends.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Sarah Is Beginning

To enjoy these misadventures.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Could be!

Could be! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

There seems

to be a bit of a sea change here with Sarah...Whats happened to the shy diffident person that was here before...Hopefully now she is a more confident woman it will reflect in the rest of her new life ...I have a feeling she just may need her new found confidence very soon because her life is not going to get any easier...Is it Saless?

Kirri

Why, what evah do you mean?

Why, what evah do you mean? (Said with an innocent expression and a bad southern accent) ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Nothing like

Nothing like scaring the crap out of your friends. Sweet revenge, eh? heh heh