Pink Bear Romance - Part 15

Printer-friendly version

 

Pink Bear Romance - Part 15
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

 


 

“Excuse me, ma’am. I thought I heard you say new squad member,” I said, feeling confused.

The woman smiled. “Yes. The dressing room is the last of those buildings. I think we have a uniform your size. Don’t worry, they’ve been washed. Donny always seems to pick girls the same size. Better go change. The game starts in half an hour.”

“No no no no,” I said to the woman I assumed was the coach. “You don’t understand. I came here for a date. I’m not a cheerleader.”

The woman grinned at me. “Donny invited you, correct?”

“Yes,” I said, hoping the coach or whatever she was finally understood.

The woman sighed. “I know it’s unorthodox, but we let Donny select a guest cheerleader for us. I’m surprised he didn’t tell you. Obviously we can’t force you into being a cheerleader but most of the girls he picks seem to have fun.”

“So I wouldn’t officially be a cheerleader?” I asked wondering how do I manage to get involved in these things.

The coach folded her arms and looked me up and down. “It’s possible. This can be your tryout. Unorthodox, yes. But due to grade requirements, we lose one or two girls a semester. This way we don’t have to do a formal tryout.”

I shook my head. “I can’t believe this is officially blessed.”

The woman grinned. “It’s not. But Donny wins games. Anyway, you better hurry. The game starts soon. One of the girls will help you.”

I looked at the coach sideways. “The cheerleaders are okay with this?”

She shook her head. “Meh. Half of them joined the squad this way. But you better go change. Most girls enjoy cheerleading.” I started to comment, but she made a shooing motion. “Scoot!”

As I entered the specified building, a cheerleader heading out frowned at me. You better hurry. Your uniform is in the last locker. You can leave your stuff there. It’ll be safe”

I stared at the girl and asked, “You’re okay with this?”

She laughed. “How do you think I became a cheerleader?” She ran out of the building.

I shrugged and walked to the last locker. She enough there was a cheerleader uniform inside that would probably fit. I took a quick look around to verify the locker room was empty and then quickly changed into the two piece uniform. The skirt was really skimpy but I think I have my boy bits very well secured. I put my hair into a loose pony tail and ran outside.

I ran up to the coach and asked, “You sure about this?”

She just shook her head and said, “You have the uniform on. Just have fun and go cheer on your boyfriend.” I nodded and jogged off to join the other girls.

The girl who appeared to be the head cheerleader looked at me and frowned. “Pisses me off. I actually had to try out to get on the squad. You just had to date the MVP. Look, the game is about to start. You can join in on the cheers but not the stunts. You want to stay on the squad, start coming to practice and get a medical exam. Have fun, but stay out of the way.”

I saluted her and said, “Yes, sir!” I shrugged as she scowled and turned away.

I followed the cheerleaders out. When I used to sit in the stands and watch the cheerleaders, I always felt it would be horribly embarrassing being in front of thousands of people. But I found I wasn’t embarrassed at all despite how I was dressed. The crowd was too far away to really register.

Looking up into the crowd, I grinned at a sudden thought. What would Dad say, seeing me down on the field wearing a skimpy cheerleader uniform? Dad always had a dream of me being down on the field, but not like this. I honestly didn’t set out to crash Dad’s dream, but jumping around, yelling and waving my pom poms, I had to giggle at my Dad in my mind. Dad loves watching cheerleaders, but he considers them all to be vacuous eye candy and not much else. I was overcome with a sudden desire to be a cheerleader full time.

Dad isn’t evil. He just tends to discount women. And he’s determined he’s going to make a man out of me.

Donny made the first score. The crowd actually went wild with cheering and I cheered right along with them. I had to admit, I enjoyed being a cheerleader a lot more than I thought I would. But in all seriousness, next week Donny will be dating a new cheerleader recruit and I’ll be left holding my pom poms. But! And this is the big but. It would almost be worth it just to send Dad a text saying, “Hey, Dad! Guess what?” He’d probably just pull my college funding.

Half-time finally rolled around and I couldn’t believe how tired I was. I was getting a good work-out by jumping around and yelling. They had brought out a table loaded with water bottles for us. I grabbed a bottle and then walked back towards the field to watch the band perform its half-time show. I heard footsteps behind me and when I turned around, I saw the cheerleading coach.

She smiled as she stood next to me. “You may be a reluctant cheerleader, but you’re doing a good job out there. I can give you a practice schedule and a list of do’s and don’ts if you think you’d actually like to be a cheerleader.”

I smiled at the coach. I don’t know what her name is. I said, “It is fun. I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would. But honestly, I don’t think I could fit it into my schedule.”

The coach shrugged. “Well, I wasn’t kidding when I said you were good. If you decided you want to try it, come by a practice.”

I smiled at her again and said, “Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind.”

To be sure, the worst part of being a cheerleader is having to actually sit through a game. Except to cheer Donny on, I didn’t really pay much attention to the game. The game finally ended and I was happy that Donny made the winning score. All the girls were excited and jumping around.

The coach ran up to me as soon as the game was over. She said, “I’m assuming Donny is going to pick you up? You can use the locker room to take a quick shower and change. Toss your uniform into the big laundry bin. Thanks for helping out. Remember. You’re always welcome to come join us.”

I nodded to the coach. “Thanks! I had fun!” I turned and trotted off to the locker room.

At first I was hesitant about taking a shower with a room full of girls. As far as they all knew, I was a girl too. And the showers did have a curtain for privacy. What the hell.

The shower felt wonderful.

*          *          *

“Hey babe!” said Donny as he wrapped his arm around my waist as he came up from behind me. I turned to face him. Before I could greet him, his lips were on mine. Why did I bother with lipstick?

I grinned at him as we separated for air. Lying, I said, “I had fun watching you score this afternoon!”

He laughed. “Maybe you can have more fun watching me score later tonight!” Hah! Fat chance of that.

I slid my arms around Donny’s neck and kissed him. I wasn’t sure at the beginning of the semester, but as our tongues fought each other, I don’t think there was any doubt which side of the field I was playing on. He’s totally gorgeous and his hard muscles seemed about to burst through his school t-shirt and jeans.

One more kiss and then taking my hand, Donny began to lead me on a short walk across campus. I asked, “Where is this party at? I thought it was at a restaurant or something.”

Donny laughed. “Sometimes we do that. But tonight the team is the guest of I-ATA-PI frat house. The food is always great and they put on a wild party.” He looked over at me for a moment. “You didn’t say anything about it. How did you like being a cheerleader?”

I shrugged. I said honestly, “It was a different experience for sure. I have to admit I had fun.”

“Think you’ll join the squad full time?” Donny asked as we approached a fraternity house emanating very loud music and people were coming and going.

Shaking my head, I said, “I think it’d be fun, but I really don’t see how I can fit it into my schedule.”

Donny let go of my hand and wrapped his arm around my waist. Chuckling, he said, “Well just quit that Pink Bear place. That’ll free up some time.”

I shook my head again. “Oh, I couldn’t do that. That’s something else I enjoy.”

A frown crossed his face for just a moment. He pulled me close and kissed me. “It’s those bear ears that’s got you hooked, isn’t it?”

I laughed. “Exactly!”

A cheer went up as we entered the frat house. Someone standing on a table shouted, “All hail the conquering hero!” Donny is the big man on campus. I couldn’t believe I was actually his date. I held him a bit tighter as every boy in the room turned to stare at me.

The music was way too loud and too much on the metal side for my liking. One table already had piles of pizza boxes. Seems that’s all college kids eat.

One boy pointed at me and shouted, “We shoulda had Pink Bear cater! Their chicken fried steak is much better than pizza!”

The boy standing on the table shouted, “All hail Pink Bear! They have the cutest staff!”

Someone else shouted, “And naturally my man Don has the cutest one of all!” Well, that’s not embarrassing at all. Not.

Donny kissed me and then patted my butt. “Go grab yourself a pizza. I need to do some glory basking with my fans.” He grinned and hurried over to a group of boys who started singing the college’s fight song. Several of the boys pointed to me and gave Donny a thumbs up gesture.

One of the boys looking at me asked Donny, “How do you manage to get the hottest babes?”

One of the boys slapped Donny on the back and shouted, “Because he’s the man!” They all laughed. I felt suddenly alone. I’m not Donny’s date. I’m his trophy.

A voice beside me said, “Let’s get some pizza.”

I turned to see Larry standing next to me.

I shook my head and grinned. “My God, Lar. Are you everywhere?”

Chuckling, he said, “Just making sure you stay out of trouble.”

I frowned at him. “Are you my mother?”

Taking my arm and leading me to the piles of pizza, Larry said, “Yes. And as your next door neighbor, I’m the only one here who remembers you as a boy.”

I was about to open a pizza box when my blood ran cold. Worried, I whispered to Larry, “You’re not going to out me, are you?”

Looking insulted, Larry said, “I’m insulted that you would even think that. Of course I wouldn’t. I think you’re a beautiful girl.”

I folded my arms and frowned. “I guess this means you want a date?”

Larry laughed. “No. I’m already dating Stan.” That’s when I noticed Stan across the room. He waved at me.

I relaxed and took a bite of pizza. “You’re full of surprises, Larry.” He laughed.

Larry and I chatted and ate a few slices of pizza for about twenty minutes. Having gloried in his hero worship, Donny stepped up to us and he put his arm around my waist. Since he was grinning, I figured he really wasn’t upset when he poked a finger at Larry and said, “Trying to muscle in on my girl?”

Larry put his hands up defensively and laughed. “Not me. I don’t have a death wish.”

Donny chuckled. “Smart man. Oh, hey. Deathmatch tomorrow night. You joining?”

Larry nodded. “Don’t I always?”

Donny grinned. “See ya then.”

Donny led me to a somewhat private part of the room and put his arms around me. After a kiss, he played with my hair. In a low voice, he said, “The guys set up a private room upstairs just for us.”

*          *          *

“He didn’t get mad when you turned him down for sex?” asked Amy over the phone on a drizzly Sunday afternoon.

I leaned back and looked out my window at the wet streets. “I was surprised. I fully expected him to yell at me. But he didn’t. That evening we kissed a lot and danced and I ate too much pizza.”

Amy asked, “Did he ask you out again?”

I shook my head uselessly over the phone. “Not last night. I’m hoping to hear from him sometime today.”

“Girl, get ready,” said Amy seriously. “Instead of a break up, he just might never bother to call you again.”

“He’d break up with me over sex?” I asked.

“Don’t be so naïve, Scotti. Of course he would. You don’t think he went out with you hoping to get the secret recipe for Pink Bear chicken fried steak do you?”

I chuckled. “I don’t even know the secret recipe!”

“See? Your romance was doomed either way! Donny’s used to getting what he wants. Don’t be surprised if he quietly dumps you.”

I sighed. “If that’s the case, it was fun while it lasted. Hey girl, see ya tomorrow at Pink Bear.” We disconnected

*          *          *

I looked up at the clock. It was a quarter to eleven, the busiest time of the day for us at Pink Bear. I adjusted my bear ears as Amy checked out the cashregister.

She turned to me and asked, “Hey, it was so busy this morning, I didn’t get a chance to ask. Did Donny call you yesterday?”

I grimaced. “Nah. I guess I should fear the worst?”

Amy shrugged. “Possibly. Oh. Here comes trouble.” She pointed at the door.

I turned just as Jerry walked through the door which caused the bell to jingle.

Grinning broadly, Jerry said, “Well, if it isn’t my favorite babe, and Amy. How’s it going?”

Amy checked the time on the clock. “Hey, it’s closing time already. You need to come back tomorrow when I’m off.”

Jerry just grinned. “Ah, Amy. It is to laugh. But it’s Scotti I’m here to see.”

I smiled at Jerry. “I feel so blessed.”

Jerry looked serious for a moment. “Well, you should. I have two questions.”

I leaned on the counter, which Joanie is always telling us not to do. I asked, “So what’s your questions, Jer?”

Jerry leaned on the counter as well and leaned in close to my face. “Depending on how you answer the first question, I might not get to the second. First, are you still dating the Donster?”

I narrowed my eyes at Jerry. “As far as I know, why?”

“Earlier today, I saw him putting the squeeze on that cheerleader Allison whats-her-name?” Jerry leaned closer to my face.

Amy laughed. “Well, there’s the answer to your question, Scotti. Don’t look at me like that.”

“Going on the assumption that you two are no longer dating, my second question is, how about dinner and dancing this Friday night?” asked Jerry, smiling broadly.

I sighed and frowned. “Well, since you put it that way, Jer, I’d love go dancing and to dinner with you.”

Jerry grinned from ear-to-ear. “Great! I’ll pick you up at six.” He looked back and forth to make sure Joanie wasn’t watching and then he leaned in more and gave me a quick kiss. About then, a couple of people entered the store, but Jerry blocked my view.

I grinned at Jerry. “Jerry, you need to move over so I can deal with this customer.”

Jerry stepped to one side as I looked up and said, “Welcome to Pink Bear, sir. How may I… DAD!?”

Dad looked down at me and gruffly said, “Scott?”

Jerry looked from me to my dad and back to me. “Oh hell.”

*          *          *

To be continued…

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

. “Oh hell.”

oh hell indeed !

DogSig.png

DAD!!

It had to happen. Now that is a cliff hanger worth waiting for!
You have set the cat among the pigeons so to speak

Polly J

Great chapter

Scotti definitely tempted fate when thinking about Dad during the game
Even though Donny dumped Scotti doesn't mean she won't still be a cheerleader
Hopefully Scotti has an explanation that satisfies Dad

Living dangerously...

Angharad's picture

always has its risks. This is one of them.

Angharad

Oops!

Can’t wait to see how this turns out

Ahhh

Alice-s's picture

Well there goes the college fund

Oh hello Dad…

Julia Miller's picture

I think this will be awkward to put things mildly. lol