Pink Bear Romance - Part 6

Printer-friendly version

 

Pink Bear Romance - Part 6
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

 


 

I just stood there; frozen. Jerry had asked me in a loud enough voice that everyone in the restaurant had heard him. And like some scene in a horror movie, everyone had stopped talking and turned to look at me. How should I react? I can’t go on a date!

For an extended moment, I just stared at Jerry. Behind me, Amy whispered, “Say yes.”

“I… I don’t know, Jerry. I appreciate the invitation but this is a busy week. I’m up here every day until four-thirty and I have a test Friday morning to study for. I’ll have to work late Friday to make up for taking time off for the test.” That wasn’t just a dodge. It was all true. Well, kinda sorta true. I still have to work in my classes.

Before Jerry could react, Joanie said, “Scotti, I’ll just move your shift to Saturday to free up your Friday. I was young once.” She disappeared back into her office. No! No! No! Why did she do that? I had a perfectly good out without flat out rejecting Jerry.

Grinning, Amy said, “That gives you time to get your hair done in the afternoon.”

Smiling, Jerry said, “Looks like your Friday is open. Would you like to go out?”

Not only was there a room filled with people waiting for my answer, but it was very hard to ignore Jerry’s earnest face. I took a deep breath.

I smiled nervously and said, “I’d be happy to, Jerry.” That was a lie, but I felt trapped. Bizarrely, an applause and cheer rose from the Pink Bear customers.

Grinning, Jerry said, “Thanks Scotti! I’ll come by your dorm Friday at six PM to pick you up.”

Not knowing what else to say, I asked, “How about that chicken fried steak for lunch?”

Jerry patted his stomach. “Oh, I just ate at Caine’s before coming here. I’m stuffed. Maybe tomorrow. I have a class coming up, so catch you later.”

“Sure. See ya.” I turned to frown at Amy as Jerry walked out of the restaurant. “What the hell am I doing?”

Amy leaned on the counter and grinned at me. “Looks like you have a date!”

Growling, I said, “I didn’t want a date! I can’t go out with a boy!”

Shaking her head, Amy said, “You need to start having some fun, girl.”

I frowned. “How is a date with a boy fun?”

Amy laughed. “Do you really have to ask that question? This won’t be your first date with a boy.”

I shook my head. “Those other times don’t count.” I scowled at Amy. “Besides, those dates were your fault too!”

Grinning, Amy said, “And you’re welcome.”

I sighed heavily as I watched customers finish their meal and leave. Thinking about what Amy said, I couldn’t help remembering that summer before our Senior year when I made the mistake of confessing to Amy that I was really a girl. I don’t know how she managed to arrange for us to meet boys every weekend at the mall.

I let a smile loose at the memory of Ethan. Oh God was he cute! We managed to meet up with him at least three times at the mall where he took me to a movie each time and we dined eloquently at the mall Taco Bueno. And oh my God could he kiss! I confessed to Amy I thought I was in love. But like all romantic stories, this one had to come to a crashing end. My parents, specifically my dad, saw us as they came out of a different movie.

Since it would have been too personally embarrassing for him to confront me publically at the mall, Dad waited until I got home. When we parted at the mall, I kissed Ethan as if it would be the very last time. And it was.

Dad was pretty hot. He called me every name in the book and then made some up. He didn’t hit me though. He informed me in no uncertain terms I was to never dress as a girl again. Or date boys. He made me throw all my girl things away, though I later retrieved them from the dumpster and took them over to Amy’s house. He insisted I was to be a man and that was final.

With genuine concern in her voice, Amy asked, “Are you crying?”

I sniffled and ran my thumb under my eye hoping to not mess up my make-up. “I was just thinking.”

Amy frowned. “Well don’t. It looks painful. What would make you cry?”

I looked down at my hands. “I was just thinking about Ethan. I miss him.”

“Jerry seems like a nice guy.”

I sighed. “Yeah. Maybe.”

Amy grinned. “If he doesn’t work out, there’s always Alfred.”

I threw a ketchup packet at her as she laughed.

*          *          *

To be continued…

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very good continuation. The

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

Very good continuation. The “record scratch” (horror movie) scene was good too. Funny that it could actually happen IRL.

Great continuation

Great continuation
Hopefully the date will go well
Jerry should have been quieter when asking but it did set up a good scene
Added to Scotti's backstory