Pink Bear Romance - Part 11

Printer-friendly version

 

Pink Bear Romance - Part 11
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

 


 

It was such a pain getting up. I hate having to open at Pink Bear. I don’t even have to get up this early to get to my first class. I’d gotten a rare chastising the day before by Joanie for looking like I’d applied my make-up with a broom. I was tired that morning from being up late and studying.

I frowned at my reflection after I finished my eye liner. I should have taken that assistant job at the library. They don’t care about eye liner. Or dresses. I could have stayed a boy. I wouldn’t have had that date with Jerry.

I smiled at my reflection. If I was being honest with myself, I enjoyed our date. So what if Jerry’s a goofball? And why did Larry feel the need to ruin it? Ack! I checked the time on my phone. Amy would be here soon to pick me up and I’m not finished with my make-up.

I rushed, but not too much. I was just putting in my Pink Bear earrings when my phone rang. The caller ID said it was Amy. I punched the answer button and shouted, “I’m coming!”

I heard Amy giggle. “Well, good morning to you too!”

I shook my head. Leaving the phone lying on my desk, I said, “Sorry. I’ll be down in a minute.” I disconnected the call. I leaned into the mirror and checked my make-up. I turned my head back and forth to check my hair and before opening my room door, I smoothed down my dress.

“Hey babe! Ya got a minute?” Larry was waiting to ambush me from the common area.

I scowled at Larry. “I’m in a hurry and I’m not your babe.”

Larry chuckled, “Babe. You’re everybody’s babe. But about last night…”

Pointing at his chest as I tried to hurry past him, “You know, Larry. That was low even for you. Ambushing us like that. You could have taken your friend. You didn’t need Jerry’s car.”

“My car was broken down…” was all I heard when the elevator door closed. Does he really expect me to believe that?

As I trotted out of the dormitory building, Amy stuck her head out of the car window and shouted, “We’re going to be late!”

As I got inside her car and started to close the passenger door, I said, “Just run a few red lights like you usually do. We’ll be fine.”

We arrived with many seconds to spare. Amy was getting the cash registers ready while walked slowly and I mean slowly, to unlock the front door. There was already a line forming outside the door. I turned around to look through the door way to the kitchen. I wondered if they ever went home. The kitchen crew was all ready to go.

As I opened the front door, I said, “Good morning everyone! Welcome to Pink Bear!”

The first boy through the door looked at me and grinned. “Do you have a boyfriend?”

I frowned at him and said, “I don’t want to date you.”

He looked confused for a moment. He asked, “Well, can I have a jumbo breakfast burrito?”

I laughed. “That we can do.” I turned to hurry to get back behind the counter.

Amy shook her head at me. “Will you stop flirting with the customers?”

“I’m not doing anything!” I exclaimed as I rang up two more breakfast burritos.

As she was picking up the new tickets, Joanie leaned in to Amy said, “Our business has doubled since hiring Scotti. We’re even getting more teachers coming in.”

I stuck my tongue out at Amy.

Amy just rolled her eyes.

We both relaxed after the breakfast rush finally subsided.

Amy looked at me long and hard. Pointing at me, she said, “You’ve changed, Scotti. When did you become so damn boy crazy? You flirt with everything in pants.”

I frowned at Amy. “Cut it out, girl. I don’t flirt. It’s getting old, actually. I smile and try to engage the customer. It’s customer service one oh one. I’m not flirting. I’m just trying to be nice. Like I’ve said before. You should try it.”

Sticking her tongue out at me, Amy complained, “I AM nice, dammit! Stop being so damned pretty!”

I scowled at Amy. “I can’t help that! Do you really think I’m pretty?”

Amy frowned. “You’re gorgeous. Please stop. All the cute guys want to talk to you.”

“That’s my fault?” I asked, feeling being picked on. “I’m not even interested in guys. You can have all of them!”

We stood in the empty restaurant in silence, waiting for the lunch crowd to arrive. I looked over at Amy and asked, “Do you really think I’m gorgeous?” She groaned and rolled her eyes at me. I just grinned at her.

I poked Amy in the shoulder and said, “Look. I’m going to live up to my daddy’s expectations. After graduating, I’m going to settle down with a pretty girl, and have our two point eight children, two cars, a white picket fence and…”

Four boys entered Pink Bear. Four gorgeous specimens of perfect maleness. The first was Don Armstrong who was captain of the football team, tall, muscular, and did I mention gorgeous?

I froze in mid-sentence. Whatever I was going to say instantly forgotten. I just stared. I whispered to myself, “He’s gorgeous.”

Smirking, Amy pushed on my arm, “Okay, girlie. Make yourself scarce. You said I could have all of them.”

“Shut up…” I growled. Grinning broadly at Don, I asked, “How may I help you, sir?”

Don smiled at me with glorious, perfect white teeth. Leaning on the counter with his face close to mine, he said, “You know, I was told that there’s a place with the prettiest girls and the best chicken fried steak. Could this be it, Ace?”

Ace, who also leaned on the counter and also had chiseled handsomeness, nodded. “I do believe this is the place, Donny.”

Still grinning at me, Don said, “I think you’re right. So, miss. I think I’ll have an order of chicken fried steak with a side of you.”

Embarrassed, I felt my cheeks turn bright red. “Anything to drink?”

Don leaned in closer. “Yeah. Your eyes.”

Amy groaned, “Oh brother.”

Embarrassed all to hell, I asked, “Small, medium or large?”

Don grinned. “Yes.”

I heard Amy say, “So, Ace. What would you like?”

Ace grinned. “I’d like to know what time you get off work.”

I was nervous as hell and shaking slightly. I was beside myself. “D… does this complete your order?” I studied my order form. I knew I’d lose it if I dared to look at his beautiful brown eyes.

Feeling his warm breath on my cheek, Don said, “Just one more thing. Are you free Saturday night?”

I looked up at him and stuttered, “I… I… I…”

Amy grunted. “Oh, save us all some time and just say yes.”

“I… I… I…”

To be continued…

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great chapter

Great chaptee
Loved it and very funny
Yes i agree with Scotti smiling and being nice is not flirting but basic customer service
I would be in the same boat as Scotti if a cute guy like Donny came into the place where i worked

Lovin' It

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Scotti is going to have to learn an important rule - when you are nice to the boys, and you're a pretty girl, you're going to get a LOT of attention ! Better have a strong gaff to wear and be ready to be man-handled !!
Loving this story - so well written and entertaining . . . can't want for more chapters !
Hugs and Kudos!

Suzi

Is this looking

Angharad's picture

a little dangerous as football captains tend to be rather physical on the intimate stuff?

Angharad

She's in trouble

Alice-s's picture

And daddy's expectations be damned