Pink Bear Romance - Part 9

Printer-friendly version

 

Pink Bear Romance - Part 9
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

 


 

Amy grinned at me when she picked me up from the salon Friday after lunch. “Nobody’s going to think you’re a boy now, that’s for sure!” The salon mostly fluffed up my hair’s volume and gave me some large curls. It looked very nice and frankly very feminine.

When she drove up to my dorm building, Amy asked, “Do you think you’re going to need any help with your make-up? Or clothes selection?”

I chuckled at her. “I think I can handle that. But you’re more than welcome to join me this afternoon.”

Grinning, Amy said, “I’ll come along. You might need my expert advice.”

I laughed.

When we arrived at my floor, we had to make our way through a gauntlet of boys. They were all gathered in the common area around the table. I don’t know what game they were playing but they were being quite loud. Their eyes were fixed on us as we navigated past them.

Larry sat up straighter and said, “Hey Scotti. I hear you have a date tonight.”

I sighed. There was no point in denying it. I’m sure Jerry probably told him. I nodded. “Yes, that’s true.”

Larry said, “You look really nice. I see you did something different with your hair.”

I smiled at Larry. “Thank you for noticing. Do you like it?”

Smiling wide, Larry said, “You look fabulous. Seriously.”

Giggling, I said, “Thank you. Speaking of dates, I need to go get ready.” I pointed down the hall. All the boys in the room were staring at me.

I caught up with Amy at the end of the hall outside my door. I unlocked my door and we hurried inside to escape all those boys’ eyeballs.

Amy exhaled. “Man, that’s just crazy, girl. Is it always like that?”

I grunted a laugh. “About six in the morning, it’s relatively boy-free.”

Pointing at the door, Amy said, “And your date is going to have run that gauntlet to pick you up?”

I nodded. “Yep. Well, he knows all those guys so he’ll be among friends. Maybe.”

Amy sighed. “Well, your guy is going to be here in about an hour. So let’s get you dressed and made up.”

I really didn’t need Amy’s help in the make-up department. She did make a couple of good suggestions on creating an evening look. We didn’t have to do my nails as they’re already done for work.

I held up a denim miniskirt. “I like the way this skirt looks on me. I’m thinking I should go with it along with this tank top and light jacket. Or would my little black dress be a better choice?”

Amy grinned. “You don’t want to waste your little black dress on a date with Jerry. I figured that dress would be your next salvo towards Mr. Nichols.”

I sighed and frowned at Amy. “Jerry might not be my boyfriend, but I still think I need to look nice for him. I can get the dress cleaned Monday.”

Grinning at me, Amy asked, “So who is your boyfriend?”

Scowling at Amy, I said, “I don’t have one.”

Laughing, Amy said, “Yet.”

“Will you stop?”

Still chuckling, Amy said, “I’d go with the miniskirt. You look hot in it and let’s face it. You’ll be lucky if Jerry even puts on a clean shirt.”

Still holding the skirt, I said, “What if he shows up in a dress shirt, sport coat and tie?”

Amy giggled. “Well, don’t put your dress away just in case.”

“He’ll be here soon, so I need to finish getting ready,” I said. “Hint, hint.”

Amy frowned. “I’ve seen you in your bra and panties before, but I can take a hint. Call me as soon as you get back. No matter what time it is. Have fun!” With a wave, Amy was out the door.

Of course she had to pass through the gauntlet of boys. I heard all the boys in the common area raising their voices and cat-calling. They weren’t saying anything mean. Just being obnoxious. They quieted down when apparently Amy made it to the elevator. They were pretty worked up. I really shouldn’t have to, but I was glad I’d have a boy to hold as I walked through that mob later.

I put in large hoop earrings I’d borrowed from Amy. I need to get my own pair. I love the way the silver color sparkles through my hair and the way they feel against my neck.

Finally dressed and everything tucked securely away, I looked at the attractive young woman looking back at me in the mirror. In a few minutes, that pretty woman was going to be picked up by a boy for a date. She’s the date. She’s the one being treated to a meal and a movie. As she smiled nervously back at me, what are her expectations? And how do her expectations square with the boy who is picking her up? From the look on her face, she’s clearly concerned about what exactly are the boy’s expectations. That woman looks worried. That woman is me.

There was a sudden rise in the volume of all the boys in the common area. Almost like cheering. There was a knock on my door. In the mirror I watched as my dad approached the pretty woman and said, “Son. I expect you to be a man!”

The woman frowned and said, “Oh fuck off!”

Another knock on the door jarred me back to reality. I got up. I checked my make-up for the zillionth time. I smoothed my skirt that didn’t need smoothing. I took a deep breath. And I finally opened the door.

“Hi Scotti,” said Jerry, wearing a huge grin. I was impressed. He had showered. Shaved recently. He’d brushed his hair. He wore a nice shirt incongruently with a black, leather motorcycle jacket and jeans that had no tears or holes. He just stared at me for a few moments and said, “You look amazing.”

I smiled back at Jerry, amused by the boy standing in front of me. “Thank you Jerry. You look… nice.”

His grin got bigger and then he suddenly scowled. “Ah shit!” He hit the wall.

Feeling more than a little concerned, I asked as I took a step back, “What’s wrong?” I touched the front of my skirt. Did something fall out?

Sounding irritated he groaned, “I forgot to buy you flowers!”

I relaxed, relieved that I wasn’t about to die, I sighed, “That’s okay. You don’t have to buy me flowers.”

I had retreated to be back on the other side of the door frame. Jerry shook his head. “Dammit! I wanted to impress you!”

I waved my hand dismissively. “It’s okay. Really.” Am I in danger or is he just a goofball?

He calmed down and asked, “What is your favorite flower, anyway?”

I smiled weakly at Jerry and said, “Pink roses, actually.” Something told me that a lot of pink roses were going to be in my future.

Grinning again, Jerry said, “I’ll make a mental note of that. Are you ready to go?”

“Let me get my purse and jacket,” I said stepping back into my room for a moment. I smiled again at Jerry and announced, “I’m ready.”

Jerry took my hand and started leading me down the hall. A cheer went up from the boys playing some game in the common area. They all raised their soda cans in salute to Jerry. Larry shouted, “My hero!” I never wanted to leave someplace so bad in my life. As we stepped inside the elevator, Jerry turned and bowed.

As Jerry led me briskly across the parking lot to his car, he turned excitedly to me and exclaimed, “You’re going to love Gladstone’s.” Gladstone’s was the expensive, hoity-toity restaurant in town. That meant that Jerry was dropping some serious cash on this date with me. He continued, “They have great chicken fried steak there!”

I stopped walking and his hand pulled free. I said, “Are you serious?”

Jerry laughed. “Ha ha. Got you! I don’t know what they have there. But you’re always pushing chicken fried steak at the Bear.”

As I opened the passenger door to his car, I said, “Remind me to kill you later.”

Jerry grinned. “Did you know you’re beautiful when you’re bitchy?” Is this how the evening’s going to go?

To be continued…

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great chapter

Great chapter
I guess Scotti is a little sensitive about Amy seeing what's between her legs

I suspect

Angharad's picture

she'd be even touchier about Jerry learning what's between her legs.

Angharad