Pink Bear Romance - Part 4

Printer-friendly version

 

Pink Bear Romance - Part 4
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

 


 

I have to admit that I wasn’t exactly looking forward to walking down the hall to get to my first class. I really hoped my next door neighbor had already left or was sleeping in.

I grinned as I hoisted my book bag up onto my shoulder. No one would know. Just me. I had decided to wear my pink panties. Surely this one indulgence won’t topple my resolution to become the man my dad wants me to be.

I hope I have enough time to do my nails before I have to leave for work. A job that requires me to wear a dress and make-up. I took a deep breath. That won’t stop me either.

I opened my room door and was relieved to see the empty hallway. I walked vigorously down the hall to the elevators. The elevator car was empty, which is how I like them. When I exited the elevator, I saw four girls standing around in the lobby. I usually ignore these girls as they always ignore me, the stuck up bitches. They travel in a pack and I run across them every now and then. I always smile at them as a greeting, but they don’t even look at me as they walk past.

Today, they all smiled as I walked past them. One said, “Oh, I love your hair!”

I smiled back as I tripped slightly on the carpet. I mumbled, “Thanks!” I looked hastily around for evidence of Rod Serling. I get my hair changed and suddenly it’s a new world.

I stepped out of the dorm building into the brisk autumn air. I shivered. Not from cold, but because of the alien world I suddenly find myself in. As usual I left my car in the parking lot as it’s a nice, breezy walk to my classes.

My first class was Calculus. Several friends from high school, including Amy suggested something else for a morning class. But I decided I wanted to get that out of the way while my brain was still somewhat fresh. I chafed at having to take it anyway. I honestly feel I’ll never have a use for it. It annoyed me that by the time I graduate, I’ll almost have a math degree along with my comp sci. Dad, who’s an engineer loves math and was excited I was taking so many classes. He told me it’d put hair on my chest. I hoped to God that wasn’t true. But then he said the same thing for my disastrous stint at being on the football team in middle school.

Things seemed a bit more normal as I walked through the halls of the math and science building. Everyone walking by was too busy locked in their own personal hell of math classes to notice my hair. Or notice anything. Dad has assured me that the college’s math department was top notch. When you’d rather be somewhere else, that doesn’t mean a lot.

I finally reached my class and sat down in the same seat I’ve been using since the semester started. As typical, the instructor wasn’t in the class yet. I’ll need to get a different desk next time though. There’s a boy in the class; the quintessential nerd who is always the first person to get in the classroom with greasy hair and thick glasses had watched me enter the classroom. I think his name is Alfred.

Alfred turned around in his seat and stared at me with an unnerving, goofy expression. He said, “Hey, you’re hot. Wanna go out?” I need to shave my head.

His words cut me right down to my soul like a bolt of ice. I quickly said, “No! I mean, thank you, but no. Really. No.” It would have been bad enough for any boy to actually ask me out, but I was shaken to the core for Alfred to do so and in front of other people.

I hadn’t noticed the instructor walking in. With a smirk as he looked at his notes while standing at his podium, he said, “Ah, romance.” I glared at him.

Still grinning, Alfred asked, “How about Friday?”

I looked coldly at Alfred. “No. Nein. Nyet. Non.”

A boy who just sat down behind me asked, “So, does that mean you’re free on Friday?”

I scowled at him and said, “No.” I looked from him to Alfred. “Now just knock it off.” Shaking my head, I turned around to listen to the instructor. The boy behind me chuckled. I couldn’t concentrate on anything the instructor said. Boys just should not be asking me out on dates! It’s insane.

The instructor looked over at me and said, “If you’re through playing with the boys, miss, I’ll get started.” Alfred grinned at me.

When we were dismissed from the class, I rushed upstairs to my Unix Administrator class. I would be free from Alfred. None of the other students even looked up when I entered the classroom and took a seat.

On the other side of the room, I notice one guy lean over to someone in the row next to him. I could barely hear him ask, “Is that a chick over there?”

The other guy didn’t even look over at me. “Wishful thinking, dude. No chick is gonna take this class.” The guy who asked just frowned and nodded.

I relaxed.

At lunch, I discovered if people mistake you for a girl, don’t eat a corndog. No one bothered me, but several boys with grins on their faces watched me eat.

My afternoon class was two hours long and was Love Poems of the English Renaissance. I was the only boy in the class and nobody noticed. I think I signed up for this class by accident. Anyway, it’s an English credit.

I made it back to my room without further incidents. I sighed as I picked up the bottle of pink nail polish on my desk. I had no choice but to put this stuff on before I left for work.

As I started buffing my nails my cell phone rang. I was going to ignore it, but I saw it was Amy calling. Maybe work was canceled today?

When I answered the phone, Amy chirped, “Scotti! Just checking to make sure you haven’t forgotten about work today.”

“Are you kidding me?” I exclaimed. “I’ve been worried sick about it. I was about to do my nails when you called.”

Sounding puzzled, Amy said, “Doing your nails?” She paused a moment and said, “Oh yeah. They won’t dry in time if you did it at work. By the way, I’m going to pick you up about 5:30. Any trouble from your next door neighbor?”

“Yeah,” I said a bit gruffly. “You insisting I go to the salon has caused me endless grief. My neighbor and some guys in my classes think I’m a girl now.”

Amy laughed. “Sorry. I didn’t think it’d make that big of a difference.” There was a long pause. She continued, “Actually, that’s a good thing!”

I frowned at the phone. “How is that a good thing?”

Amy chuckled. “Don’t you get it? Since they already think you’re a girl, it frees you to be girlie! Now you can change your clothes and put on your make-up before you leave. Trying to do your make-up in the grimy little restroom can be a pain.”

A light bulb went off over my head. The electrics aren’t great in this dorm room. I said, “I hadn’t thought of that. That would be a time saver. And do you guys ever clean that restroom?”

Amy giggled, “That will be your job tonight.”

She couldn’t see me, but I rolled my eyes. “Gee thanks.”

Amy groaned, “You rolled your eyes at me, didn’t you? Anyway, I’ll pick you up at 5:30. Try to be downstairs and ready to go.”

“Roger roger,” I said as she disconnected.

I picked up my nail polish and began brushing it on.

*          *          *

I started to walk to my door after checking my make-up and dress when I had a sudden thought. I ran back to my dresser and picked up a pair of my new earrings. No point buying them if you’re not going to wear them. After fumbling around for a minute, I finally got them in. They looked cute.

I put my hand on the doorknob. I took a deep breath. Please let the hallway be clear, I mumbled to myself. I adjusted my purse strap on my shoulder and slowly turned the knob. I breathed a sigh of relief as I stepped out into an empty hallway. I didn’t hear anyone in the common area.

I was midway down the hall when the elevator doors opened and four boys stepped out. It couldn’t be just one. Or two. No, it had to be four. One was my across the hall neighbor. Does he ever go to class?

All four boys suddenly were all four grins. My neighbor, who I should probably learn his name someday, exclaimed, “Woah! What have we here? You work at Pink Bear?”

Embarrassed at being stared at, I said as I looked down the front of my Pink Bear uniform, “Guilty as charged. Can I get through here? I don’t want to be late.” The boys were clogging the hallway.

One said, “Larry! You’ve been holding out on us!”

Larry, my newly named neighbor, admitted, “Hey, I didn’t even know she was a chick until this week.”

The boy who had picked up my bra the other day said, “I bet I can guess the color of her bra!”

I scowled at him. Irritated, I said, “Can I get by, please?” I didn’t want to get close to any of them.

Larry grinned at me. “Maybe we should order from Pink Bear. They do have good burgers.”

As I tried to squeeze past, I said, “We also have a great chicken fried steak.”

A third boy complained, “Hey, it’s game night. I want pizza!”

“Can I get by, please?” I was completely surrounded and it was making me very uncomfortable. I really doubted these boys meant any harm to me, but nobody likes feeling trapped.

Frowning, Larry said, “Will you guys stop being such turds and let the lady get by?” He held up his phone. “And Stan, I’m ordering the pizza now.”

They all stepped back to let me get through. I muttered “Thanks,” as I quickly slipped by.

“Hey! I saw her bra strap! She is wearing the pink one!” I didn’t turn around. I quickly stepped into the elevator. I was so embarrassed. Is no one ever going to invent teleportation?

As the elevator door closed, I heard Larry chuckle, “She works at Pink Bear. What did you expect?”

I exited the dorm building into the cool afternoon air. Amy waved from her car in the parking lot. I ran to her car.

As I started to slide into the passenger seat, Amy glanced over at me, “You certainly took your time. I was worried we might be late!”

As I smoothed my skirt, I said, “Sorry. I had a gauntlet of boys to run through.”

Laughing, Amy said, “Stop being so beautiful!”

I scowled at Amy. “So it’s all my fault?”

Amy shook her head. “That’s not what I meant.”

I folded my arms across my chest and we drove in silence to Pink Bear.

As we entered the restaurant, Joanie pointed at the clock. “You girls are one minute late!”

Angry, Amy growled as she pointed at me, “It’s her fault! She had to flirt with all the boys in her dorm!”

“I wasn’t flirting!” I exclaimed.

Joanie shook her head and sighed. “I was joking. Anyway, you girls settle down. We’re about to get busy.” Joanie handed me my new name tag with “Scotti” on it.

Two cars pulled up at the same time in front of the restaurant.

As we got ready behind the counter, Amy turned to me and said, “I’m sorry, Scotti. I shouldn’t have said that.”

I frowned at her. “You’re right. You shouldn’t have.”

As the front door opened, Amy hissed at me, “I’m trying to apologize, asshole.”

I took a deep breath. “Okay. I’ll stop.” I turned to face the customer and whispered, “Ah shit.” It was Alfred from Calculus along with a couple of his pimple-faced buddies.

Grinning, Alfred said, “It must be kismet!”

I forced a smile. “Not the word I was thinking. Can I interest you gentlemen in a hot, delicious chicken fried steak dinner?”

A few minutes later, when I exited the restroom after washing my hands and feeling dirtier than when I entered, Joanie tapped my shoulder and said to Amy, “Why can’t you plus sell like that, Amy? Five chicken fried steak dinners all at once!” Two more boys had come in after Alfred.

Amy frowned, “I can’t flirt like that! Did you see the way she wiggled her cute little butt at them? It’s shameful!”

Joanie chuckled. “As long as she makes a sell, I don’t care.” She went back into her office.

I frowned and jerked on Amy’s hair. “What the hell is up with you?”

With a huff, Amy said, “Last night, when it was me and Sherry working, four boys… four! … asked about you and then left when I told them you weren’t working that day. What? Me or Sherry aren’t good enough to serve them?”

I glared at Amy, “And how is that my fault? I have no idea who those boys were. You need to chill, girl. You invited me to work here.”

Amy nodded. “You’re right. You’re right. I guess I’m being silly.”

I pointed at a car pulling up in front of the restaurant. I said, “I’ll go into the restroom and powder my nose and you can take these customers. Okay?”

As I started to turn away, two boys entered. One grinned and shouted, “Scotti! Hey. We’re here to give your chicken fried steaks a try!”

I grinned and turned to face the two boys. I said, “Just two?”

The boy who spoke laughed. “There’re just two of us. I hope you don’t mind me saying this, but you sure smell pretty.”

Amy said, “Arrgh!” The two boys gave her a strange look.

I said, “Don’t mind her. And thank you!”

*          *          *

The restaurant had finally cleared of customers and we were little less than an hour away from closing. Amy leaned on the counter and ran her hand through her hair and groaned. She looked over at me and said, “Scotti, I’m so sorry I’ve been such a bitch tonight. This has been a day, to say the least. So many things were going on today. I shouldn’t take my frustrations out on you.”

I gave her a hug. “I was wondering what the deal was. I’m sorry you had a bad day.”

She looked over at me and tried to smile. “Thanks. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.” She glanced up at the clock. “Thank God we’ll be closing soon.”

Car headlights shone through the front windows. “Well, we’re not closed yet.” I sighed. We both groaned when we saw who entered. It was Jerry. From my first night. He was by himself.

Before I could speak, Amy said, “Good evening! How can I help you? Can I interest you in our delicious chicken fried steak?”

Jerry shook his head. “No thanks.” He looked past Amy and said, “Hi Scotti!” Looking back at Amy, he said, “I’ll just have a chocolate shake.”

Amy shook her butt. “Are you sure you don’t want a chicken fried steak?”

Shaking his head, Jerry said, “Thanks, but no.” He put his credit card on the counter.

I smiled at Jerry and announced, “Chocolate shake coming up!”

While I was making the shake, Amy’s phone rang. We’re supposed to have our phones on silent. She turned her back on us so we couldn’t hear her. As I handed the shake to Jerry, Amy disappeared into Joanie’s office.

Jerry sat at one of the seats by the counter as Amy came up to me. “Hey girl. I’m really sorry. But something’s come up. I have to go. I hate abandoning you since I’m your ride. Maybe you can get an Uber or something.”

I gave Amy a worried look. “Is everything okay?”

Amy heaved a big sigh. “One of the problems from this afternoon has resurfaced. Are you going to be able to get back to the dorm okay?” She gathered up her purse and started to walk to the door.

I shrugged. “It’s not terribly far. I can just walk.”

Jerry said, “Sorry to butt in, but that’s a bad idea. A little girl like you, walking alone in the darkness. Bad idea.”

Amy raised her eyebrows at me. She shrugged, “He’s right. Call an Uber or something.”

Before I could say anything, Jerry announced, “I can take you. I wouldn’t mind.”

Amy’s eyes lit up. “Hey, that’s a great idea! But I really need to go. See you tomorrow.” She hurried out the door.

Riding alone in a car with a boy I didn’t really know didn’t sound like a great idea to me. It doesn’t matter that I’m also a boy. This guy is bigger than me. He’s stronger than me. But does he mean me harm? I looked at him and he just grinned goofily at me.

I said, “I’d hate to put you to all that trouble. I’ll just walk back to my dorm.”

Jerry shook his head as he sucked up some of his shake through his straw. “If you were a dude, I’d just say hey man, your funeral, dude. But not to a chick. It’s no trouble at all.”

I grinned at Jerry and said, “Who said chivalry is dead?”

Jerry said, “Just call me Mr. Chivalry.” He laughed.

“I don’t get off for half an hour. Do you really want to wait that long?” I asked. Personally I’d rather just call a ride share.

Jerry grinned and slapped his credit card back on the counter. “Give me another round!”

I picked up his card. I asked, “You sure?”

He nodded. “And this time with whipped cream!”

I just shook my head as I made him another shake and then squirted whipped cream on top.

He picked up the glass and managed to get whipped cream on his nose. I laughed.

Jerry grinned at me. He said, “I like you. Maybe we should go out sometime?”

Looking worried, I said, “Let’s not get carried away.”

“I like to throw caution to the wind!” He then chugged the chocolate shake I had just given him. He coughed and sputtered.

I took the glass away from him. “Don’t drown on chocolate, okay?”

Jerry laughed as he wiped his face with a napkin. “Cause then you’ll have to walk home anyway.”

He slapped his card down again. I shook my head and said, “I think you’ve reached your limit. Too much sugar for you.”

Joanie stepped out of her office and chuckled. “Scotti, why don’t you go ahead and go. Me and the kitchen staff will clean up.”

I asked, “You sure?” She nodded and made a shooing motion.

As I walked around the counter, Jerry reached out and took my hand. He said, “Let’s go.” He led me the fifteen feet to his car and opened the passenger door for me. He waited by the door while I slipped into my seat and smoothed my skirt under me. He then closed the door. He ran around to the drivers door and got in.

He turned to me as he started his car. “I’m going to be serious now. Which building?”

I said, “Hemmingway Hall.”

Jerry nodded. “I know where that is.” He backed out into the street, made an illegal U turn and accelerated back to the campus entrance.

A few minutes later, Jerry drove his car into a parking spot. He shut the engine off. He leaned towards me. Oh God. I need to get out of this car. I pulled the door handled. He touched my arm.

“Hey wait.” Jerry said. “I’ll walk you to your room.”

I smiled at him as I opened the passenger door. “Thanks for bringing me this far, but I think I can find my way from here.”

“Let me walk you to your room,” insisted Jerry. “It could be dangerous.”

I laughed. “It’s not dangerous!”

He touched my hand. “Please?”

I sighed. “Okay.” I figured he was going to badger me until I relented. I got out of his car and stood next to it as he ran around the front of his car.

As he took my hand, he asked, “What floor?”

“Fourth.”

As we entered the downstairs lobby to the building, there were three boys talking. I didn’t know any of them. One looked up and grinned. “Jerry! Are you in this building?”

Shaking his head as he slid one arm around my waist, Jerry said, “Nah. I’m escorting her to her room. And get your mind out of the gutter!” The other boy laughed.

Taking my hand, we got into the elevator and he punched the four button.

The elevator door opened and I was dismayed to see Larry and his buddies in the common area, apparently still playing whatever game it was.

With his free hand, Jerry waved to Larry. “Hey Larr!” Instead of continuing to my room, he stopped. He kept a grip on my hand so I couldn’t leave.

I saw Larry look at our hands. He grinned. “Jeesh, Jerry. It didn’t take you long to snatch up the prettiest girl in the building!”

Jerry laughed. “Well, of course! Maybe if you lugs actually talked to girls instead of playing that game, you too could get a girl.” All the boys laughed. Jerry pointed down the hall. “I got to get her home. I’ll be back in a minute.

Stan laughed, “How about leaving the chick here and you go home?”

The boy who had touched my bra exclaimed, “I like that idea.”

I figured it was time I better say something. I grinned, “Guys, I’m beat. I need to get to bed.”

Larry asked, “Do you need any help?” The other boys laughed.

Stan said in hushed tones, “She actually spoke to us.”

Still holding my hand, Jerry said, “And chumps, that’s why you’ll never have a pretty lady like this. Back in a minute.” With a tug he led me down to my door.

I hope he’s not expecting a kiss. I unlocked my door and turned to face Jerry. “Thanks again for bringing me home, Jerry.”

Leaning on one arm over me, Jerry grinned. “Any time, Scotti. Anytime.” He then leaned towards me and he pressed his lips against my forehead. “Good night.”

I didn’t realize I had been holding my breath. I exhaled and gave him a goofy grin. “Nite. See ya.” I then opened my door and quickly slipped inside. I closed the door behind me and locked it. I leaned back against the door and let out a huge sigh of relief.

*          *          *

To be continued…

up
175 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You know, I was an engineering student…….

D. Eden's picture

In college, and spent a LOT of time in math, science, and engineering classes. I somehow don’t remember the classes being full of dorks and dweebs. There was a severe lack of girls in the classes, but seriously, the guys were not that dorky.

Sometimes people play up the stereotype too much.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Sorry

Melanie Brown's picture

No offense intended. Just trying to be funny.

Melanie

In my school they kept their

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

In my school they kept their “nerd/geek” card out of sight until someone started talking about certain subjects then it would become as seen on the Big Bang theory.

Good chapter, moves among well. Scotti appears to have a head on her shoulders.

Scotti appears to have a head on her shoulders.

SammyC's picture

And a very pretty one at that. She's going to have to come to terms with that. But Amy probably thinks she's already got the flirting protocol down to a T. What can you say? Naturally talented. LOL.

Hugs,

Sammy

Great continuation

Great continuation of the story
The boys were jerks for not letting Scotti through
Amy's idea of changing in the dorm made a lot of sense
Hopefully when the story is completely finished it will be published and go up on Amazon

I presume, Scotti is in the pink.

Angharad's picture

She's going to find it difficult to go back to being a boy for all sorts of reasons. Quite funny in places, Mel.

Angharad

That kiss on the forehead…

Robertlouis's picture

Well shit.

As a well-known author around these parts might say.

☠️