Pink Bear Romance - Part 5

Printer-friendly version

 

Pink Bear Romance - Part 5
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

 


 

I fumbled around trying to find my phone to turn off the alarm. To hell with it. I sat up in my bed and looked around bleary-eyed while listening to the alarm. I was just wearing a t-shirt and panties. A random thought sifted through my brain making me think I should probably get proper pajamas. I’m by myself, so who cares?

After a moment of slapping around on the sheets, I discover my phone was lying on the floor. To turn it off meant climbing out of bed. Why does life have to be so hard? I slid off my bed so I could retrieve my phone. I managed to press the button to turn off the alarm. It should be illegal to close one night and then open the next morning. I’ll have to talk to Joanie about that.

I stretched and scratched and took care of my morning business. I squinted at my face in the mirror. Do I have to put on make-up?

My cell phone rang. I wanted to flush it, but I saw that it was Amy calling. I decided to answer it. Sounding disgustingly cheerful, Amy said, “Hey Scotti! I was just checking to see if you set your alarm for this morning.”

I grumbled into the phone, “How can you be so cheerful this early?”

Amy laughed. “You’re funny, girl. I’ll pick you up in a hour. Ta!” She disconnected.

After much gnashing of teeth and growling, I managed to get dressed and get my make-up on. I put in a different set of earrings. Amy said they won’t get another shipment of Pink Bear earrings for at least another week.

I stepped out into an empty hallway; my favorite kind. I turned to my door and fumbled around inside my purse to get my room key. As I was locking it, I heard Larry’s door open. Does this guy RADAR?

“Well, good morning, Scotti!” said Larry cheerfully. Is everyone cheerful this time of day?

I turned around in the cramped space in front of our doors. “Hey Larry.” I noticed his book bag on his shoulder. “Books? You actually have a class?”

Not moving to make more room, Larry laughed. “Shocking, isn’t it? I have two back-to-back math classes this morning.”

I made a face. “Gak! I hate math.”

Larry chuckled. “I think it’s fun.” As I tried to work my way past him, he looked at me seriously for a moment. "Can I ask you a personal question?”

After I got past him, I frowned. “Depends. I mean you can always ask… But make it quick. My ride is waiting for me.”

Larry shrugged. “It’s quick. No big deal. I was just curious if you and Jerry are um… uh… “

I frowned at Larry and hazarded a guess. “Dating? Gee I can’t imagine why you’d ask that.”

Larry raised his hands defensively. “Hey. I’m just curious since I saw you two holding hands and kissing and all.” Oh my God! We weren’t kissing!

Scowling, I growled, “That’s none of your damned business!” Would a denial have been better? Or would it have just opened the door to him?

Larry just looked over at me after I had finally managed to get on his other side. “Sorry. No offense. He’s just not even in your league.”

I just stood there a moment and blinked a few times. How do I respond to that? I said, “I need to go.” I turned and ran down the hall.

“I was wondering if you were going to make it. We really need to go.” Amy started her car before I had even closed the passenger door.

“Sorry. My neighbor, Larry, held me up with a stupid question.”

“Larry?” asked Amy. “Is that your neighbor’s name? What did he want?”

I nodded. “Yes. His name is Larry. I can’t believe he would ask me this.”

Amy narrowed her eyes at me. “Ask you what?”

I sighed. “He asked if Jerry and I are dating.”

Amy drove into traffic. “That’s crazy. Why would he think that? Jerry just dropped you off, right?”

I shook my head and readjusted the headband with the pink bear ears on my head. “Jerry took it on himself to escort me to my door.”

Looking confused, Amy said, “So? That’s just being nice. It doesn’t mean you’re dating.”

I looked over at Amy and said coldly, “He kissed me.”

Amy rolled through a red light. “He did what?”

I looked down at my hands. “He kissed me. It was on my forehead, but still.”

Amy frowned. “He had no business kissing you anywhere. You really don’t even know him.”

“Not to mention I’m a boy.” I sighed.

Amy grunted a laugh. “The jury is still out on that. But still. He shouldn’t have done that. He kissed you in front of Larry?”

I nodded. “In front of Larry’s whole little cabal.”

Grinning, Amy asked, “So how many boys is it now that like you?” She drove into a parking spot behind Pink Bear.

I scowled at Amy. “You’re not funny.”

As we got out of her car, Amy said, “Hey girl. I know it’s annoying, not that I’d know personally, but you’re very pretty. You gotta expect boys to notice you.”

Standing outside of Pink Bear’s entrance, I said, “I shouldn’t have to put up with being randomly kissed.”

Amy opened the door to Pink Bear and said, “Oh I agree with you there. He was out of line.”

Joanie brightly said, “Good morning girls! What’s up today?”

Amy chuckled, “Scotti has boy problems!”

Joanie laughed. “Oh to be young again.” She went back into her office.

I looked curiously at Amy. “Is she here twenty-four hours?”

Amy nodded. “Yes.”

*          *          *

It was if they were waiting. As soon as I turned the “Open” sign on, several cars drove up and about a half dozen boys piled out.

Joanie leaned over to Amy and said, “Since we hired your friend, we’re getting a lot more boys coming in.”

Amy folded her arms and said, “Gee. I can’t imagine why.”

Before turning from her to the counter, I said, “I’m not doing anything.”

As several boys came in through the front door, one of them said quietly to his friend, “I told you.”

The other boy nodded. “You’re right. She is hot.”

I smiled at them and said, “How may I help you gentlemen?”

They all stared at me with goofy expressions. Amy pointed at the sign over our heads and said, “You can only get what’s on our breakfast menu.”

Looking a bit disappointed, one boy looked from me up to the menu. “Oh. I guess I’ll have the large student breakfast special.” The student breakfast special was a medium breakfast burrito, hash browns and a medium soda.

The boy behind him said, “Same for me!”

The boy behind him shouted, “Me too!”

As I was ringing up the sales, the first boy looked at me with a grin and asked, “Do you go to school here?”

I knew what he meant, but I said, “Here at Pink Bear?” I giggled.

The boy shook his head. “No. No. At the university.”

I nodded and said, “Yes.”

The boy said, “Cool. Just curious. I haven’t seen you on campus.”

I laughed. “I haven’t seen you either.” And if I’m lucky, I never will.

As he was putting his wallet back into his pocket, he said, “I’ll keep an eye out.”

I handed him a pink slip of paper. “In the mean time, bring in this slip and get ten percent off your next chicken fried steak dinner.”

As Amy set a tray down with someone’s breakfast and she called out the number, she turned to me and whispered “How many boys have you flirted with so far today?”

I frowned at her and said, “I’ve lost count.”

Things quieted down a bit when three teachers walked in. I took them for teachers because they weren’t boys and were dressed somewhat business casual. And one was an absolutely hunk and a half.

Amy giggled to me. “You can keep your boys. I’ll take these guys.” She elbowed me.

Two of the instructors stood back and looked at the menu. One walked up and started talking to Amy about their order.

The Mr. Hunk walked up to the counter and obviously studied my name tag. I smiled and said, “How may I help you?”

Mr. Hunk said, “Good morning Scotti. I’ve never been here before. What sounds good to you?”

Under her breath, Amy muttered, “Of course…”

Smiling broadly, I said, “Personally, sir, I really like the breakfast egg and sausage burrito meal. Comes with hash browns and your choice of a small drink.”

“Sounds good, Scotti. I’ll go with that.” Mr. Hunk slid his card across the counter. As I retrieved the card, I said, “Yes sir. Coming right up, Mr. Nichols.” He flashed me a smile when I said his name. I noticed Amy taking the order of the third teacher.

As we both hung our orders in the window for the kitchen to start making, in a low voice Amy said, “Stop salivating over our customers, girl. I didn’t think you liked older men.”

I shrugged. “I didn’t either. But I just think he’s hot.”

With a frown, Amy whispered, “Just remember. You can’t date teachers.”

With a huff, I said, “Did I say I wanted to?”

Amy just rolled her eyes and turned to help the next customer. In fact, we got real busy for several minutes. Someone in the kitchen yelled, “Order up!” I turned to look and it was Mr. Nichols order. I picked up the tray and took it to the counter.

I looked at him and said, “Order Sixteen is ready!” As he came to pick up his tray, I said, “Please enjoy your breakfast, Mr. Nichols. Please come back again soon.” I giggled at the end.

He smiled at me and said, “Thank you. I probably will.”

Amy shook her head at me. “Oh brother.”

I frowned at Amy. “What now?”

Amy sighed. “Flirting with teachers now?”

I rolled my eyes at her. “I am not! I’m just being friendly!”

After ten minutes or so, the teachers all stood up to leave. I looked at Mr. Nichols and said with a grin, “Thank you! Please come again!” I waved. He waved back.

Amy whacked my arm. “What the hell is with you? When did you start liking men?”

I frowned at Amy. “I don’t. I was just being friendly! You should try it sometime.”

Amy looked me in the eye and said, “Do yourself a favor and stick with boys.”

I shook my head. “Why do you think I’m interested in guys?”

She laughed.

*          *          *

Joanie stepped out of her office and surveyed the restaurant full of customers happily eating. “You girls did great! Lunch is always busy, but you two didn’t miss a beat. Good job! We even had some teachers.”

Amy nodded. “Thank you Joanie. It got really crazy there.”

While we were taking a well deserved break from all the hectic business, A car pulled up into the parking lot.

I sighed. “Ah crap. I recognize that car. I can’t catch a break.”

Amy chuckled. “Oh yeah. That’s your boyfriend, Jerry.”

I scowled at Amy. "He's not my boyfriend!"

When Jerry walked into the restaurant. I smiled and waved to him. “Hi Jerry! What can we do for you today?”

Jerry walked up to the counter and leaned heavily on it. “That’s what I came to talk to you about.”

I kept smiling. “Can I interest you in our lunch special?”

Jerry looked very nervous. He said, “You can, but I uh… uh... Scotti, I have to say… and I mean it…” He took a deep breath. “Scotti, you’re the prettiest damn girl I’ve ever seen. And you’re so stinkin’ nice. What I mean to say is… I uh… Scotti, would you go out with me?”

*          *          *

To be continued…

up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another great chapter

Another great chapter
Hopefully Scotti will address the kiss before agreeing to go on a date with Jerry
How did Scotti know the professor's name and if so won't the professor put two and two together?

Names

Melanie Brown's picture

The instructor's name was on his credit card when Scotti picked it up to process the charge.

Melanie

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification
I didn't process that when reading