Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 327

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Boiling Up A Cake.
by Angharad
part 327

I arranged with Tom to finish early so I could go and see Stella. I worked like mad all morning, so by lunch time apart from two tutorials, I'd more or less finished. I saw the students together after asking them first and they both found the experience useful, so did I; I got off an hour earlier.

The drive was tedious, these things always are and while I drove I tried to think of some way I could help Stella. A big fat nothing came to mind; possibly because I couldn't forget Simon's warning that I'd be shocked.

I parked up at the clinic and remembered how I'd sat in the car last time afraid to see her. I felt ashamed of myself now. I went in and was escorted to her room. She was sitting in a huge armchair with a blanket wrapped around her. She looked like a little old lady, gaunt and haggard as the skin drooped around her face. It reminded me of people in refugee camps.

"Hi flower," I said as I breezed in.

She looked up at me and her empty eyes sparkled for a moment and she smiled, then the emptiness returned.

I sat alongside her, looking right into her eyes. "What are you up to?"
She tried to avoid eye contact, but I made her face me. "What are you trying to achieve?"

"Why did you come?" she said in a weak, croaky voice.

"To see you."

"To bully me."

"Not at all. I'm a scientist remember, I need to understand things. I need to understand why you are doing this."

"It's my body."

"I know that, but why are you destroying it?"

"I'm too wicked to live."

"Of course you are, I should have remembered. What was it public enemy number one? If that was the case, where would that put megalomaniacs like Blair and Bush who started a war and killed thousands? I don't see them trying to starve themselves to death."

"I did a dreadful thing," she said and a tear ran down her face.

"You ate the last chocolate biscuit?" I kept trying to make light of things. I had an idea of what was coming.

"Why are you trying to trivialise my pain?"

"Am I, or are you just wallowing in self pity?"

"How dare you?" she said more firmly.

"How dare I what? How dare I tell you the truth, when all the others have been pussy footing around the place? I'll tell you how I dare it. I love you, remember, you are my big sister and I can't just stand by and watch while you punish yourself unnecessarily with some guilt trip."

Another tear dripped down her face and I felt close to tears as well, however, I needed to keep up the outrage to make her angry, to boost her out of her torpor. My dormice were more with it than her, and they were hibernating - with one notable exception, she who eats lab technicians!

"I am guilty."

"Guilty of what? Of being the nicest person in the known universe?"

"Nicest person? I killed my own baby - does that make me nice?"

"Ah so now we're getting to it." I had to be careful about this, I was very vulnerable on fertility grounds, as I couldn't breed or even begin to know what the feeling of pregnancy was like. She could shoot me down in flash and I half expected her to do it.

"You and Tom are the only two who know about it."

"Yeah, so?"

"You are treating it as something trivial."

"I'm not, I found it sad at the time and I still do."

"Sad, yes it's sad alright. It's more than sad, it's wicked. I'm evil and deserve to die for taking a life. An eye for an eye, like the Bible says."

"Oh, Old Testament stuff. Okay, by that standard, Deuteronomy or another such book, Simon and I should be put to death, me probably twice over."

"What for?"

"Well according to that, I'm a man lying with another man, plus I'm wearing women's clothes. Quite how they'd kill me twice, I'm not sure, but I think that's the penalty."

"Now you're being stupid, of course you're a woman." There was a bit of life coming in her eyes and expression.

"Not according to the Old Testament."

"But that was written in days before they understood Gender Identity Disorder."

"I won't argue with that, but it was also written before they understood a woman's right to choose about her body and pregnancy."

"That's different."

"Is it, I had surgery on perfectly healthy tissue."

"That's not killing a baby, is it?"

"Having my gonads removed, I might have killed a thousand babies."

"Don't be ridiculous, those babies were never made. They were only ever potential babies through sperm."

"You were carrying a potential baby too. There were a hundred things that could have gone wrong and you could have spontaneously miscarried. Until it was born, it isn't a baby. Yours was in a very early stage."

"I still killed it."

"No, you stopped it living. It wasn't capable of independent life, it needed your body to sustain it. It wasn't murder, it was...."

"Convenience, it didn't suit me to have it. So I killed it."

"Isn't there a better way to resolve this?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, instead of ending your life as punishment, why not do something to nurture life instead?"

"Like what?"

"Like getting yourself well again and going back to nursing, saving lives and healing people."

"That isn't a punishment."

"I don't know, some of the stories you told me of clinics you did, it sounded like punishment to me."

"Some were hard."

A nurse knocked and entered the room, "Are you going to have something to eat tonight, Stella?"

"No."

"Yes she is," I insisted, have you got some nice soup and a roll?"

"Yes, cream of chicken."

"Bring her some, I'll help her to eat it."

The young nurse gave me a funny look, but she popped out and returned a few minutes later, with a tray of soup and roll and butter. She put it down and left, telling us to ring if we needed any help.

"I'm not going to eat it." Stella looked at me defiantly.

I pulled a five pound note out of my bag and put it down beside the tray, "That says you are."

"If you force it down me, I'll be sick."

"I'm not going to force you, you are going to eat it yourself."

"I'm not."

"Okay, if you don't eat that soup and get your act together, I am not going to marry Simon."

"Ha ha, you think that is going to make me?"

"Yes, I'm serious, if you aren't there, there will be no wedding."

"Are you crazy?"

"No, I've never been more serious in my whole life. If you haven't eaten that soup before I leave here, then I am driving home and telling Simon that it's all off and he can sling his hook."

"That's ridiculous."

"Maybe, but I promise that is what I shall do."

"But I thought you loved Simon?"

"I do."

"So how can you do that to him?"

"Same way you can do this to me."

"That's different."

"Is it? I don't give a toss, that is what I will do."

"You can't."

"Just watch me, oh no you can't because you'll be dead, never mind I expect Simon and I will be with you soon enough."

"What do you mean?"

"Died of a broken heart, that sort of thing. I think they call it depressive illness, nowadays."

"That is stupid!"

"No more than starving myself to death would be, or you, for that matter."

"It isn't the same," she protested, tears streaming down her face.

"It is to me. Your call."

"That is so mean!"

"Who said life was nice?"

"You're a bitch, Cathy."

"You are telling me something I already know. Now are you going to eat this soup or do I go?"

"Pass it over."

My hands were trembling as I passed over the tray. I had gambled my biggest ever stake and could have lost everything.

She ate the soup complaining she was full ages before she was. She also burped and farted like a good 'un. She'd eaten nothing for several days, this was going to be uncomfortable. She complained of feeling sick, which was probably wind. I gave her a peppermint and she eventually burped her way into more comfort.

"Happy now?" she glared at me.

"No, I'm happier than I was, but I won't be happy until I see you at my wedding."

"Who says I was going to come anyway?"

"I do, because you'll be helping me with my dress and the other things I need to organise."

"I might." This time there was a little sparkle in her eye.

"I thought you might."

"Happy now?"

"Stella, you just asked me that; my answer is the same."

"You won again, didn't you?"

"I wasn't aware this was a contest."

"A battle of wills."

"Don't be silly, I wouldn't stand a chance against you," I smiled.

"Okay, I'll come to your stupid wedding. Just get me out of this place."

"Only you can do that Stella, but thank you for that, I shall hold you to it."

I hugged her, "You've made an old woman happier," I said and we both started laughing. She also owed me a fiver!

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What some folks will do on a bet...

You certainly didn't have Cathy firing popguns. That was the heavy artilery! Stella's been after Cathy to get together with her knucklehead brother forever (well almost the beginning of the story anyway). Threatening to break it off. WOW. And, given how you've written Cathy to date, she'd really have called the whole thing off.

Now, let's see if Stella can start putting the pieces together.

Thanks,

Annette

Tough love?

Cathy is a devious, coniving, deceitful woman. But all women are that way.

Ow! Ow! Ow! OW! Stop ... Ow! ... hitting me. Yeoch!

Karen, Ang, put down those tactical nuclear weapons.

Stella, get well or Cathy will kill you. Does that make scence?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Initiating countdown.

Engage balistic launch profile
Target Wauwatosa
Narrow Target to John
Enable multiple Warheads.

Launching.

The soup flies, and John is drowned in chicken soup.

Help -- glub glub, helbbbbbb ...

-- Cough --

-- Sputter --

I'm drowning in chicken soup.

I need more saltine crackers, STAT!

John in soggy but good for what ails you Wauwatosa

P.S. Is this better, Holly?

P.P.S. – Snicker --

John in Wauwatosa

Corrected posting

Cathy is a devious, conniving, deceitful woman. But all women are that way.

Ow! Ow! Ow! OW! Stop ... Ow! ... hitting me. Yeoch!

Karen, Ang, put down those tactical nuclear weapons.

Stella, get well or Cathy will kill you. Does that make sense?

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I had a serious attack of typo fever last night

John in Wauwatosa

Retargeting on Wauwatosa AGAIN!

Some men NEVER learn. Not all women are Deceitful!

Launching the boiling chicken soup again!

"One day, John WILL learn," giggles Annette, as she presses the firing button.

Yes the RED BUTTON John!

But, but, but ...

Red Buttons is dead.

"I wonder what this little blue button does?" Daffy Duck to PorkyPig.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Great chapter, Ang.

John in Wauwatosa

Way To Go Cathy!

jengrl's picture

Cathy was brilliant in the way she handled Stella. She needed a swift kick in the butt from someone who could see through her B.S. The reverse psychology tactic was really good too. By telling Stella that she would call off the wedding, it forced Stella to think of someone else besides herself and gave her something to think about. I hope that she is finally on the road to recovery and can now set her sights on helping with planning the wedding. Ang, please leave Stella to recover without any more major drama in her life. If anyone deserves something good to come her way, it is Stella.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Phew! That was tense.

Ridding oneself of a feeling of guilt is not easy, particularly if you are alone most of the time and have time to brood.

Cathy's gamble seems to have paid off—and I don't mean the fiver—so hopefully Stella will begin to perk up. At least they ended up laughing, and laughter is a great healer. I think the sooner they can get Stella out of there and among her loved ones the better. Making her feel loved will do her more good than any loony bin. With Cathy, Simon, Henry, Tom and Co all rooting for her she will soon begin to feel loved and, even more important, wanted.

You've given us a lot to think about tonight, Ang.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Stella's not safe yet.

She has a long way to go. This was only the first small skirmish on the way to recovery. Once Cathy is gone will Stella fall back into the same funk again? Will her side of things become the clearer more pervasive and Cathy's the less relevant?

Stella needs Cathy, Simon and the rest of her family but she still needs a lot of professional help. One or the other won't save her. Her family will give her the reason to accept the therapy she needs to become more her self again. Will she be the same old Stella? Probably not. No matter what all that has happened to her from the time she had the abortion till now will have permanently changed her.

Of course this is just a story, but we do love these characters don't we?

Good job Angharad, I think for me this has been the best episode yet, because the situation is so real and lifelike. No artificial excitement, real emotions, just two people talking in a life and death struggle. Powerful stuff. Who needs guns, mafia, homicidal loonies, and doormouse assault teams, when you can write like this?

Keep up the good work.

Arwen

Thanks Angharad

It's good to see a little light on the Stella front. Please, please let her get well and be ok (for a while at least).

She Bloody Well Did It

Its great to see Stella rebounding and only Cathy could do it either. And now that the Spark is back, I hope that Stella listens to Cathy.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ah, Angharad

You've made this old woman happier too.

LOL

Pulling teeth?

So, now that we've survived the failure of MAD above, the question still remains as to what's Cathy gonna buy with the fiver?

Good to see Stella back in the mix again, and doing better, even if just beginning to do so - and even if getting her to take care of herself was like pulling teeth.

Another great chapter, Angharad!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

327--There, that wasn't so difficult was it?

Nearly back to normal.

Well okay, some soup and a roll in several days is hardly normal, but it's a step in the right direction.

NB

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad...

Ang!!! Come on you can't do

Ang!!! Come on you can't do this...Stella just can't fade away.... Cathy and Simon need her....
Kirri
Oops.... Nearly forgot Tom and Henry....silly Kirri

Bike.

Gosh!
Wish Cathy had been around when I was 19.
Beverly Taff.

Cathy & Stella

Well the roles are reversed (remember back to this whole series when it was Stella being called the Bitch for pushing Cathy so hard)?

These two young ladies absolutely need each other far more than I think most realize (ying&yang thang :-) )

Gee,

These are interesting chapters, I am impressed by the different moral issues spinning around. Abortion, at what point is it killing an unborn child. Sexual orientation, is it against the teachings in the Bible, Transvestism is this a moral issue, or is it not normal, but ok in it self?
I have a headache, but that always happens when I think.
Stella keep eating girl!

Cefin