Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 269

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling On A Bike.
by Angharad (Bonzi is out - hee hee!).
part:269

As I cooked the meal, I felt so much happier that my favourite cooking device had been fixed. Things cooked in an Aga just taste better. Tomorrow, I would slow roast a leg of lamb with rosemary and mint dressing.

The kitchen felt much warmer too, which was good, it had felt strangely cool last night, mind you that was good training for sleeping with my head out the window.

I was turning the fish under the grill when Stella appeared. "Where's the engineer blokey?"

"Finished." I smiled broadly, "Everything works again," I pointed at the saucepans on the top plates.

"So I see."

"You could be more enthusiastic, Stella."

"Sorry, was thinking about something."

"Oh, that's unusual for you," I said not exactly meaning how that sounded. What I meant to say was,'It's unusual for you to brood on things.'

"No, I think all the time," she said with irritation, "which is why I don't keep making stupid statements all the time."

I considered myself chastised, however, I would retaliate, the next time she needed something ironed, I wouldn't be available.

"What's for tea?"

"Salmon."

"Smells good," she seemed to be wanting to move on so I left the previous remarks behind and concentrated on the present.

"Does it, I suppose it doesn't permeate everything like Tom's curries, but it is his house."

"What is?" asked a male voice.

"Hi Tom," I said and he came in and hugged me and I pecked him on the cheek.

Looking at Stella, he said, "My goodness, we have a visitor, you must introduce me to this beautiful young lady, Cathy."

"What that old trout?" I winked at him and he glowered at me. "Oh her, that's my future sister in law, assuming she doesn't kill me before I marry her brother."

"That's quite possible, unless your cooking gets me first!" She riposted.

"Touche," I said and began switching into attack mode.

"Ladies please, can we call a truce. I've had an awful day and a quiet evening would make me feel much more relaxed."

"Oh dear, what happened?" I asked.

"A university is apparently more about money than excellence. We are plcs* not academic institutes. I was this close to telling them what they could do with their bloody plc," he held his thumb and forefinger about half an inch apart."

"But you generate quite a bit of income," I said feeling sad for him.

"Yes, but it isn't enough. They want us to make more."

"I'll have to do that film with Des, won't I?"

"Only if we get some of the revenue from it."

"I assumed you would."

"Probably, but it's all up in the air anyway until the BBC or whoever, says how much they will pay for it."

"What about royalties, lots of their stuff gets shown all over the world?"

"Yes but they then own it. They might sponsor the programme or arrange to buy it after viewing."

"What if they change their minds?"

"With you writing the script and appearing in it, I don't think that's an issue."

"I'm happy to write it if I have the time and to be the expert adviser, I'm not so sure about appearing in it."

"Cathy, remember what we were talking about last night?" Tom looked quite serious.

I shook my head and looked suitably blank.

"About looking beyond the small arena."

"Arenas, we didn't mention anything about arenas."

He looked exasperated and Stella switched the kettle on. She would have turned it on, but not in front of Tom.

"Do you remember what we spoke about yesterday?"

"Yeah, waiting for the Aga man."

"No, about where I thought you should aim for the future."

"Oh the bigger picture thing?"

"At last!" he shook his head in disbelief. "Some days I wonder if you have a twin sister."

"She has, me!" beamed Stella.

"I don't think so, Stella, nice try." Tom was patient with both of us.

I certainly didn't want him to tell me again that he thought I was special. I'm not, I'm just the girl next door with bike and a way with dormice.

"I tried to explain to Cathy why the bank, and Henry in particular, hired her to be their adviser."

"He fancies her," offered Stella.

"I think it's a little more than that, in fact I spoke to him this morning and he confirmed it."

"What, that he fancies her?"

"No, Stella, that Cathy has special qualities."

"Like what, being good with a bow an' arrow?"

"No, but maybe the courage that caused her to do that, is one of them."

"She's got bal...., I mean she used to have them, I mean....Oh shit!" Stella blushed a beautiful crimson, which clashed with the green top she had on.

"Cathy is a master communicator. I saw her hold an audience of journalists in total thrall."

"That was Spike, I was just there to stop her swinging on the chandeliers."

"I thought she did swing on them, just after she went out of camera shot." Tom smiled wickedly at me.

It took me a second to process what he had just said and I blushed even redder than Stella had. She sniggered and enjoyed my embarrassment as much as I had hers.

"What is a thrall, when it's at home anyway?" asked Stella.

"It's an ancient word, probably Norse, which means to hold power over someone, as one would a slave. Nowadays, with the exception of the public sector, slavery is largely extinct in this country, so it means to hold someone in total fascination. Like an orator does with an audience."

"Yep that's me, 'zero-rater'," I said smirking.

"Cathy, if you are going to continue to be so silly, I'm not prepared to discuss it further. But I tell you, if you don't make that film a success, we may not have a department once the survey money runs out."

"What! That's ridiculous, we are bringing in money all the time and producing good graduates."

"Not compared to Chemical engineering, their patents are worth several million."

"Oh!" I felt completely flat, then smiled to myself, "I bet they don't get two million hits on You Tube!" Everyone fell about laughing, they knew what I was on about without me even having to say.

*plc = public limited company.

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sadly what Tom is talking

Sadly what Tom is talking about to Cathy and Stella is all to true, it is always about the dollar or pound or euro or whatever currency is being used. And it always seems to circle around "but what have you done for me/us lately"? J-Lynn

Bean counters

I wonder if some unnamed person has played a little birdie thing, and now the bean counters can smell some real money and they have decided to gang up on Tom or use him to get Cathy to make her movie and go further. Universities and research are huge conglomerations and go hand in hand, and they involve gazillions of dollars. And everyone involved wants their share or more to build their little ivory towers and expand their political power bases. Hope Cathy is able to leave this to the power brokers and TCB

I just like seeing stella back

But I wonder how Cathy is with post traumatic stress? Will we still see her cuddling Stella a few nights instead of Simon? And for this poor clueless USA citizen, what is so special about an Aga?

I thought AGA ...

Was a company that drove cryogenic tanker trucks around the US, you know, LOX, Liquid Nitrogen, Liquid Hydrogen and the like for hospitals, and industry?

Or in the case of mmost of my families ancestors, to fuel V2 rockets.

Sorry Mom, just joshing you in the hereafter. Quit throwning thunderbolts at me.

John enjoying this story immensely in Wauwatosa where we were in the upper 60'sF and bloody windy.

John in Wauwatosa

Visiting Wauwatosa

Having had conversations (however silly) with you over your town/city/neighbourhood/whatever, I thought about taking a peek at it one day. That was until it appeared on an episode of Criminal Minds and then I thought twice, or was it just thought?

Anyroadup, Aga's are expensive cookers on steroids that wealthy people have. I think it's like owning a BMW or Mercedes; they do the same job as a Pacer or any other automobile, but cost twice as much if not more than their less illustrious counterparts, break down more often and cost the earth to repair.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

A Pacer, cool, they made them here and in Kenosha

AMC Pacer, now there was a ... a ... I hesitate to call it a car.

So an Aga is like those Viking and other slightly modified monster-sized restarant gas stoves/ovens people here buy to put one up on the Jones.

I think on MapQuest's aerial photos or on Google Earth you can see our house in Wauwatosa. Just find the Mayfair Mall and go a little under three miles due east.

Nick, I love your dress but the Veronica Lake hairdo needs updating.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Jealousy will get you nowhere

View my little message at the bottom here.

I can't put the real me up here, I would be laughed at from now till doomsday!

She was the only one tall enough and had legs like mine, so I gave it a shot. As for messing with perfection, I think not.

It's nice you noticed. Not many others have.

Hugs

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Actually

The Veronica Lake hairstyle is the most sexy part! Some of the other "bits" could be scaled down to a more realistic size. ;-)

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Scaled down? Realistic?

I'm six foot four for heaven's sake. You can't put fried eggs on someone that size . . .

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Yes, realistic

Neither are triple-F's. I've seen the movie also, and the only women I've ever met that were that big naturally weighed about 350 lbs. I have, however, met some other women who were six foot plus who were a B or C, and they looked just fine.

Oh, don't forget the caboose, need an extra locomotive to pull that one! ;-)

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Ouch!

Point taken.

I should also change my dress. My butt obviously DOES look big in it.

I suppose I should fire up photopaint then . . .

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

I don't weigh that much

erin's picture

Nor did my two aunts who were both G-cups. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Yes, Cathy Is Very

Courageous. But being coerced into doing that film is not nice at all. But now with Cathy being set up to do another film, I can see Spike stealing the show. But they had best be ready for the Russians just in case they strike.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

This Continues to Be a Great Story!

I really love the repartée that goes back and forth between the characters.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

plc

Programmable Logic Controller

*laughs

Hugs, Fran

Hugs, Fran

Re: PLC

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thought of that! ;-)

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

*smiles

Hugs, Fran

Hugs, Fran

Sigh...

I've spent most of my former life as a programmer or manager of programmers. *Both* meanings leapt into my brain. Ouch!

Cathy

needs to loose some modesty. It is OK to be humble, but she can see she has skills.

turning the teapot

Are you saying. Stella would have rubbed the kettle's spout to turn it on?
Hey, what happened to Stella's old boyfriend ? after the bundle (Which has caused 80% of her problem) was made gone, so was he.

Cefin