Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 191

Printer-friendly version

We walked up to the front door and Tom pushed the bell button, a ding dong chime sounded in the hallway behind the door, I felt quite sick. I kept thinking, the police have to do this sort of thing quite regularly - which probably explains why they're all so bitter and twisted when it comes to dealing with motorists, passing on the grief.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part 191.

Despite my worries about meeting up with Stevie's parents over the weekend, I managed to fall into a deep sleep. It was nearly seven when I awoke to a strange noise in the bedroom and nearly crapped myself when a hand touched my hip.

"Simon, you frightened the proverbial out of me then," I said loudly and slapped him on his shoulder.

His snore turned into a snort and he rolled over and opened his eyes, "Damn!" He exclaimed, "I was just going to get it together with Angelina Jolie."

"Oh excuse me for breathing!" I said feeling slightly inadequate compared to the screen siren.

"She was just going to show me her tattoos while Brad was out."

"And I thought that was a table leg sticking into my bum!" I grabbed his morning woody and squeezed gently.

He jumped and let out a little mewing noise, "Oh don't, I need a pee." Then he disengaged himself and dashed into the loo. I had a feeling it was going to take him a few minutes without an ice pack, so I nipped out to the main bathroom. Actually without the 'mones, I had a small erection myself, but I was still back before Simon.

"I hope you're not doing anything naughty in there," I called.

"Would you believe I can't go?" he called back.

"Serves you right, Angelina Jolie, huh!"

I heard him running the tap to aid his difficulty. Then I thought I could hear him managing to go, so I called, "If you'd hurried, you could have seen my tattoo, but it's too late now."

When he came back in, I was giggling and rolled up in the quilt.

We wrestled for a few minutes, tickling each other, then we kissed. I was very glad something was well hidden.

"So when did you come home?"

"Just before midnight, Tom was locking up. You were so fast asleep, I don't think a military band would have woken you. Tom told me about your new problem, wondered if I should come too."

"This is assuming they will speak to me," I added to his comment.

"Duh! Well of course otherwise it's a waste of time." He shook his head and tickled me again. He was kneeling over me, I was still wrapped in the quilt and unable to move, he was looking at me.

"What's wrong?" I asked blushing.

"I'm just looking at the woman I love."

I blushed and closed my eyes aware of something in my knickers which was very unwomanly.

"Even without any makeup, you are still beautiful and I fancy you like mad."

"I'm afraid you're going to have to wait a while longer yet." I said without opening my eyes.

I felt his lips touch mine and I kissed him back, drawing his tongue into my mouth....

After I showered and dressed, I went downstairs where Tom was brewing a pot of coffee. "Would it be better if you phoned his parents?" I asked.

"I can if you want, you afraid of doing it?"

"No, I just thought it may get them to agree to an appointment sooner."

"I suspect they'll be the same as any parents once you mention their child, they'll want to know what's what."

"Yeah but if I phone they may think he's got me into trouble or something."

Tom choked on his coffee and I had to pat him on the back to help his coughing, I of course was giggling.

"Okay," he croaked and coughed, "if you don't kill me first, I'll phone them."

I looked at my watch, "May be a good idea to do it soon in case they go out."

"Slave driver," he said holding out his hand for the paper with the number on it.

He dialled and it took a couple of minutes for someone to answer it. He was just about to give up when someone obviously did pick up. "Hello, Mrs Naylor?" he paused for an answer.

"This is Professor Agnew from Portsmouth University, that's right Steven's head of department. Look I need to speak to you about Steven and wondered if you were going to be in later today. Yes, it would be good if your husband were there as well. No he hasn't done anything wrong. No dear lady if he was deceased, the police would have been knocking your door. Yes I have to drive up with a colleague, this afternoon at two would be very convenient. We'll see you later, my colleague, yes his personal tutor. No it's, 'she' it's a woman. Yes we do have women teachers, we even have some women professors, indeed very emancipated. We'll see you at two. Goodbye."

He put the phone down, "Next time Cathy Watts, you can do your own dirty work."

I hugged him, "She'd have wheedled it out of me over the phone."

"Hmm," was all he said, hugging me back.

"I could do you some bacon and egg if you forgive me?"

"Erm, that's bribery."

"Of course it is."

"Alright."

"Let me just see if Stella wants some." I ran up to her room with a coffee, she didn't fancy a cooked breakfast, just some toast. She was going to shower and come down once she'd drunk her coffee.

I did a fry up for Tom and Simon and a bit for myself. I figured that if I ate now, missing lunch wouldn't be so important. My bit turned out as big as everyone else's.

We agreed that Simon would follow me up with Stella in his car, then after we'd spoken to Stevie's 'rents, I could go and see my dad and Simon would bring the others home and I'd come back on my own, probably the next day after seeing dad again.

I quickly made some carrot and onion soup, which Tom asked me to save some for him, then Simon said the same and so did Stella. I had just enough veg to make another batch!

I packed a case and put it in the car along with a pile of other things, including my laptop and Daddy's soup. I asked Simon if he minded me seeing Des, if he was around. Simon shrugged and nodded.

A couple of minutes before we left, I sent Des a text, 'In brissle 2nite r u? Cathy.'

I hadn't got to the car when my phone beeped with a text. 'Yes, c u @8 ur place. D.'

I replied, 'ok, just 2 talk. C.'

'ok. bring ur bike.'

"Shit!" I had to put on the bike rack and load my bike, then collect all my cycling gear, which took another twenty minutes. Tom stood chuckling the whole time I was swearing at the bungies on the rack and getting oil on my hands. Then I had to go and scrub them - it was not going to plan.

Simon and Stella were ready to go before me, which miffed me. In his Swedemobile he'd pee past my little girlycar. Oh well he could wait for us. I locked the bike into place and Tom shut up the house.

"See you at the M4 services then, last one there pays," called Simon as he screeched out of Tom's drive.

"Hope you have your purse with you?" said Tom as we finally got in the car.

I concentrated on coping with the traffic, which was heavy. Christmas was fast approaching and the shoppers were in a frenzy. Sadly, they all have cars.

Once on the motorway, I could relax a little and discuss with Tom how we were going to run our little meeting.

"Stevie thinks his dad is homophobic, so this isn't going to be easy."

"When is it ever easy to tell someone something like this?" He replied.

"Yeah, shit happens, usually to me."

"Cathy, someone has to save the universe and as Flash Gordon isn't available, it's fallen to you."

"Damn, I was counting on help from Superman." I hit the steering wheel in mock frustration.

"I think Wonder Woman will manage it on her own," said Tom smiling.

"What's the opposite of, Oh ye of little faith? As in, ye of too much confidence." I said answering my own question. Tom sniggered.

"How about I introduce us and then hand over to you? I'll back you up and watch in case Pop Naylor gets funny."

"Okay, although I'd prefer you tell 'em and I'll sit in the car with the engine running."

"It was you to whom the task has fallen."

"I know, I know, oh shit!"

We pulled off the motorway and up the A34 towards Newbury, from there it was a short drive to the M4 and about half to three quarters of an hour later, we were turning into the Leigh Delamere services. I even managed to pull up alongside Simon.

"Do we have to eat here, surely there's a pub in Bristol we can use?" asked my future hubby.

They all looked at me. I nodded and we drove off to a pub about five minutes drive from my father's house. I left the three of them at the pub with a request to order me something with tuna in it, preferably a salad or sandwiches, then I dashed off to leave the bike at home. I had unloaded the car and was back just as the food was being served, a tuna baguette, yummy.

After lunch we set off for the Naylor's house, Simon and Stella insisted on coming too and waiting outside in his car just in case they were needed. I was wearing a denim suit and agreed to have my phone in my pocket ready to speed dial for help if necessary.

The house was a 1950's semi with a neatly kept front garden and a BMW parked in the drive. My stomach flipped over and I began to question the wisdom of eating lunch.

We walked up to the front door and Tom pushed the bell button, a ding dong chime sounded in the hallway behind the door, I felt quite sick. I kept thinking, the police have to do this sort of thing quite regularly - which probably explains why they're all so bitter and twisted when it comes to dealing with motorists, passing on the grief.

"Yes," said a young woman of about seventeen.

"We've an appointment with Mr and Mrs Naylor," I let Tom open the batting.

"About Steve?"

"Yes," said Tom.

"Come in."

up
175 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tears or Laughter.

Still, after 191 days, I find myself near tears or near laughter all too often when reading this.

I don't understand how any writer is able to keep up the uncompromising pace of this story, Once per day, come rain or shine, so far at least, yet another chapter pops us.

And let me tell you, I look forward to every single one with baited breath.

And every single episode, short or long, is pure gold.

So many of Cathie's emotions, fears, and hopes, are exactly the same as I was going through when waiting for my op. The way Cathie was so scared and nervous at the psychologists, fearing that this person would slam the door in her face, I felt that.

And that for me is the true genius of this story. That no matter how soap operatic the plot gets at times, the characters fears and hopes and emotions still shine through like a blazing searchlight.

I really really really want to pay you money for the privilege of owning a copy of this in dead tree format.

Yours with heartfelt thanks for a wonderful story.

Natasha

Dead tree format

You could of course print out each episode and bundle them in a folder. I believe that would qualify as "dead tree format".

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Well...

Where's the rest of it?

You pump us up the entire episode for a single event and then you just toodle off, leaving us on the front doorstep?!

Cliffhangers, traditionally, involve a new event taking place after the main part of the episode and something having been resolved. Then, whammo!, pull a disaster out of a silver-lined cloud, tie an unwilling maiden to a log in a sawmill, or leave the protagonist dangling from a safety rope after they lose their footing.

This episode, on the other hand, was just... just... *sputter* stalling.

We still have a cliffhanger

Help! I'm hanging on by my fingernails and they keep chipping.

The task before cathy can't be a pleasant one for a transwoman, particularly one who has been in the news lately. If Stevie's dad is badly homophobic how's he likely to be with TG issues?

Well, at least Cathy's got about 24 hours to pluck up courage!

Hilary

We still have a cliffhanger and then some

Um, I'd just like to point out, that the timing is still an issue for Cathy, since I don't believe she'll be standing on the doorstep for 24 hours while Ang gets her act together.

We on the other hand, will be furiously biting what's left of our fingernails (mine are nearly back to the elbow - which I know, I can't bite), whilst waiting impatiently for our author woman here to get her finger out and hopefully not procrastinate any further before we find out how Stevie's parents are going to take to a TG woman, er, man, person - whatever, delivering the fact that their son is gay and is gonna pop his clogs any time soon.

This was a cliffhanger before the episode started. All we've done is drop about a hundred feet before finding another ledge to hang on to.

I don't know if my heart can take it!

NB

A word of many thanks

Angharad for all your work in this wonderful serial. I don't watch a lot of television anymore, but when I did ( oh no, I am not ashamed ), I really liked some wacky American ones like Will & Grace or Third rock from the sun. Those were often hilarious, but at times touching basic emotional heavy stuff was mixed along, which -I like to think- would educate 'the masses'.
I have come to think of this serial as its' literate counterpart, and I enjoy reading your work immensely.

Jo-Anne

Superman Or Wonder Woman

Have nothing on Lady Cathy Cameron. She has proven her worth many times over. It is no wonder that Simon loves her. She is truly a Modern Woman. She has people volunteering to help her out when things are tough.
Yes, she is very much a Cinderella and Simon her Prince Charming with Stella her Fairy Godmother. Her Evil step- sisters and step-mother are the people trying to buy out the bank.
I do not envy Cathy her upcoming task. I wonder if there are any dormouse around?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

More Comment?

Well, now that I've caught up with you, I suppose the least I can do, if you're going to post a daily episode, is to post a daily comment.

It's just that I can't think of anything to say that I (or someone else) hasn't already said. How about, "Nice work! Keep it up!" and "Thank you again!" I know this isn't original but I've already confessed to having no talent in this regard being barely able to read let alone write.

Still, I'll try to do my part.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Interesting point to stop.

... I almost expected you to go a few minutes more to where cathy drops the bomb, or starts to, and then cut off. :-)

Now, everyone's being more or less cooperative. Something gunna happen again.

Dum de dum dum

Normal stress for Cath with a lot of support. This kind of visit is harder on the people giving the news, believe it or not

Cefin