Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 108

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part 108. (That's like 9 dozen!)

I awoke with in a sweat, it was about two in the morning. Dashing downstairs, I caught my toe on a door frame and hobbled about, eyes watering and my mouth cussing the stupid frame for being there - if it wasn't the door would fall off, but that's not relevant to your entertainment.

A few minutes later when I could touch said toe, I decided it wasn't fractured and that I might live a bit longer. I limped carefully downstairs and after a frantic search which saw more oaths and bits being thrown all over the place, I located what I needed to see, my diary.

I dropped it in my rush and of course it hit the sore toe, so more cursing. Good job it was a detached house, otherwise the neighbours would be complaining about the nocturnal emissions! Mostly my swearing.

I had clean forgotten about my exam viva. Sure they were going to give me my masters, but I needed to show them it was my own work and also the possibility of grades could be discussed. I didn't think I was worth a distinction, but God this toe was throbbing.

I had remembered just in time, it was thursday morning. What planning that was, up half the night checking my dormouse boxes and then a viva exam at eleven the next day. Then a dash back to Bristol to see Dad. Good job I wasn't busy.

I made some tea as I was now wide awake and I took a pain killer. I was sat with an ice bag on my foot and a mug of tea in my hand. Somewhere in the middle of me was probably very confused.

I did get back to bed and set the alarm, I needed an early start if I was going to make bread and get down to Portsmouth. I actually set up the machine before I went back to bed, it would be ready during the morning. Then I went to bed and slept until the alarm disturbed me at seven.

Showered and dressed, I made breakfast and checked the bread machine, it would need another hour. I made Daddy some celery soup while I waited, and during the preparation, I also skimmed through my dissertation. I would need to have my copy with me to quote figures and percentages. I was hopeless at remembering them, in fact I avoided them as much as I could and got one of my colleagues to check them for me. He was a maths graduate who defected to zoology for his PhD. He'd have a surprise when he next saw me as we hadn't spoken for months.

The soup was ready, the bread was out of the machine and I was almost tempted to start picking bits off it. Instead I wrapped it in foil and popped it in my bag along with the flask of soup. I was at the hospital by eleven, too early to give my dad his lunch, but I needed to get away early. I explained to him that I had an exam to prepare for and he said he understood, or his mouth did, his eyes showed great disappointment and I nearly cried. I had to stop him getting to me like this. The sister agreed she would feed him his meal if she could have a piece of his bread. He nodded and she smiled. I muttered something about bribery and corruption and then we all laughed.

In twenty minutes I was heading towards Portsmouth and the university. I arrived at about three, parking was a nightmare, I'd need some sort of pass or it was going to cost me a fortune. I asked the office to sort it out for me as I'd be working there on this mammal survey.

"Who did you say you were?" asked the bimbo in reception.

"Cathy Watts," I felt like drumming my fingers on her counter, she was taking so long.

"I'm sorry, the only Watts I have here is Mister C Watts."

"They were supposed to have sorted that, it's a typo and I've been on at them for ages." I didn't feel I needed to explain things to her. "I mean, do I look like a man?" If she'd said 'yes' I'd have strangled her slowly, very slowly.

"Erm, of course not," she blushed, "I'll adjust the computer now."

"I'd be very grateful if you could, I've even spoken to the Dean about it."

"Have you?" She looked rather concerned, "I must apologise if it was our mistake."

"That's okay, so can you organise a car parking ticket?"

"It'll take a few days, is that alright?"

"I'm sure it will do. Thanks, I'll collect it next week?"

She nodded and smiled. I rushed off to the zoo labs. "Hi Neal, how's it going?"

"Oh hi Cathy, you look gorgeous today."

Wow, what's he after? "Thank you, just something I stole from Christian Dior on the way here. What's the grapevine saying?"

"They were buzzing with your appearance last week, that Jo woman has left now, her placement ended. So it's calmed down this week, most of the feedback I heard was positive."

"So if she's left, why all that fuss about toilets?"

"God knows, the others don't seem to be talking about it now, although I suppose when you are back it will be a five minute wonder."

"I suppose it will, anyway if they're criticising me they're leaving some other poor bugger alone."

"Very true girl, now what are you in for today?"

"Can I borrow a spare image intensifier, I've got some help with my nest box survey tonight."

"Oh I suppose so, you'll need to sign in blood in triplicate and give me your credit card number and life savings."

"That all?"

"Yeah, usual terms."

He handed me the item and I signed once for it in the equipment book. This should make Simon's evening. Great, I'm out with the man of my dreams, and what are we doing? Looking for bloody dormice! Wonderful, just bloody wonderful.

I checked the equipment was working, there's a dark room in the labs upstairs and kit which has been checked can save a lot of wasted time in the field. The techies are good but I check everything myself, I do with my bikes too.

Then it was up to the exams office and checking where and when I needed to be tomorrow. I knew the room and most of the panel, the external was from Bristol, should be interesting.

I went to exit the building when I bumped into my professor, quite literally, nearly dropping the equipment I was carrying. "What's this?" demanded the prof pointing at the carry bag for the intensifier, "You haven't broken another one have you?"

"I haven't broken any," I said indignantly.

"That's not what I have heard."

"I haven't," I protested.

"You know what the penalty for lying is, Cathy Watts?"

"No, but I haven't lied."

"It's dinner with an old fart."

"Tomorrow night, seven sharp at Runcorn's."

"I can't, I have to get back to Bristol."

"Can't or won't?"

"Does it matter?"

Just then my mobile went off. I excused myself and answered it. "Hello?"

"Cathy Watts?"

"Yes, who's that?"

"Sister Hansard at Southmead."

My stomach flipped, "Dad is okay, isn't he?"

"Yes, but we've got a D and V bug here at the moment, so we've suspended visiting, just thought I'd warn you."

"Am I likely to have caught it?"

"No it's not on our ward yet, but they're stopping all visitors for a few days."

"Fine, thanks for letting me know."

"I've explained to your dad, he seems to understand."

"Thanks."

I looked at Prof Agnew, "Is this black tie, tomorrow?"

"The only black tie I have I wear to funerals of students who refuse to dine with me."

"Oh, in which case, I'd better come then."

"Good girl. I knew you'd see reason."

"Blackmail and threats work every time, prof."

He laughed and walked back towards his office, I trotted back towards my car hoping they hadn't clamped me.

up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Getting the boot

Now that Cathy has a car, she has a whole new way to get the boot! On the other hand, at least the new way is less permanant. Unless she has to hit Simon up for the bail money, in which case it could be "death til us part".

One bad apple is gone, so who wrote the letter? Inquiring minds want to know! (If any none U.S. readers need that joke explained PM me.)

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Counting fetish

Someone who describes 108 as 9 dozen seems to have a mild fetish for the word "dozen". It's not the first time Angharad used the word, so I guess we as readers will be pretty secure in getting our story 'fix' until at least chapter 144 (a dozen dozen). I guess chapter 1728 is probably too much to hope for..

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Who's counting

It is only eight and a third baker's dozen

Partial chapter?

Hmm- a third of a baker's dozen? - plus 1 perhaps

or

Five score and four

or

seven and 3/7ths fortnights worth of chapters

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

And a partridge in a pear tree?

Wasn't that on the dozenth day of Christmas?

Bugger, can't remember.

Who's counting anyway and when can we expect chapter five score and 9 thirds times three?

Wouldn't that be...

Five score and eight? And isn't a fortnight 14 days? So that'd be 7 and 5/7ths?

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

Five score and nine actually

Five score = 100

9 thirds = 3, multiplied by 3 is 9

Add them together and you have the number of the next chapter = 109

I don't recall saying anything about a fortnight, but yes it is fourteen days.

Science Fraction

sheesh - talk about shooting ones self in the foot - I managed to get all my numbers wrong.

so the next vessel for your writing is the same as JFK's

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

Angharad's Shilling.

Angharad's picture

I do not have a fetsh around the number twelve and have only used it a dozen or so times, usually when I'm writing twenty to the dozen.

Twelve is a nice round number, good enough for the clock and the calendar and I can remember when we had twelve pennies to the shilling, not five new pence! Yuck. There were also twelve inches to the foot. In those days a metre was something that affected poetry not the revenge of some French wan*kers, peed off by Waterloo!

I don't know if there will be an episode 144, it might be seen as gross, and as for 1728 or 20736, it's unlikely. I don't know if even Ellen Hayes could keep one going that long.

Anway, that's my twelvepenny worth!

Angharad

Ellen Hayes

You're at 108 today, Ellen is at 133 with Tuck. At your current posting speed, I figure you'll overtake her before the end of the year. I'm not so sure about Maddy Bell, but she makes it harder to count the total numbers of chapters she wrote about Gaby.

Whatever the case, count on me to cheer you on while Cathy continues the race on her bike now that she has it back.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Ah yes, I remember it well

Sorry Angharad, that prob upsets you as it is quoting a Fr*g,.

Actually I yearn for the old £sd. When I do a sting in our village community shop I sometimes convert change old currency when giving fellow oldies their change EG "ten bob change". The only thing that horrifies me is that we charge 6 shillings for a packet of crisps and I cn remember the good old Smith's Crisps with a little screw of blue paper containing salt that cost two-pence-ha'penny.

Nostalgia ain't wot it used to be!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

All things are possible

Angharad's picture

seeing as I didn't think I'd get to 144 let alone 1400!

Angharad

Angharad

Re: All things are possible

...or 2721 as of today! Keep up the good work, Angharad! And here's to the next 2721! ;-)

Jenny

Glue

Through all this the glue is still holding? why when I try to put a handle back on a mug, it falls off?
Nice normal day in the life.

Cefin