Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 104

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad
part 104.

I had poured the soup into a thermos flask, one I'd used when I was a kid going off for the day with the local RSPB* group of young ornithologists, my mum would give me a flask of hot soup to keep me warm on cold days. I'm sure going out with the group led to my interest in things wildlife, for which I am truly grateful.

These thoughts helped me plod my way down the corridor towards the ward Daddy was in. I entered waving to the nurses, who waved back. As usual, he had refused the hospital food so was glad I'd come early.

Pouring the soup into the dish I'd also taken, I warned my father that I had to leave early as well in order to see my friend off.

He nodded his understanding then said, "'E vor goyvren?" I stood looking at him for a moment trying to work out what he had said. The penny dropped at last.

"Is he my boyfriend? Is that what you just said?" I asked thinking I would deny it. He nodded slowly but very definitely.

"Sort of, he's a friend of mine and well...." I saw him glare at my deliberate vagueness. "All right yes he's my boyfriend, why is that a problem?"

He shook his head and I saw his eyes fill with tears. I had bullied him, assuming he would be hostile but it was me who doing the hostility bit. If he had been well I'd have expected the whole Deuteronomy bit, but weakened by his stroke he didn't seem to have the stomach to fight me now. I couldn't believe he approved of what I was doing in any shape or form and a boyfriend would have driven him to kill me a while before.

" 'E's nuh-ice," he struggled to say and my heart melted. I couldn't believe he was playing some game with me, although the power had shifted since a blood vessel in his brain had got choked, probably with all the shit his religion had pumped into him over the years.

"I think so," I replied blushing a little, my little secret was out.

I tried to feed him his soup and bread but he wanted to talk. I of course couldn't deny him freedom, but I did bargain with him to eat first then we could talk. He grumbled until I pointed out his soup would be cold. He had a spoonful and it won the argument. We talked after he'd eaten a whole bowl and most of the bread. Then he disappeared to the toilet helped by a nurse.

I cleared up the mess and waited for him to return. I helped him back into his chair and he gave a resounding burp at which we both smiled. Before his stroke, that would not have happened, it was common.

" ZZZzz-i-mmmonn." He declared himself ready for me to tell him about my friend.

"He works in a bank and shares a cottage with his sister, she's a nurse and it was through her that I met him. You met her at Mum's funeral."

He nodded and after a moment's thought asked, " 'E gg-ay?"

I shook my head vigorously, "No he isn't gay, neither am I. Is that clear?"

He shook his head and rolled his eyes and I wasn't sure what that meant. For a moment I thought he was sick. Then he shrugged his shoulders, " V-oor dwenty one."

"Twenty two actually, so yes I'm an adult and able to make my own life choices. Remember we discussed that my only stipulation to maintaining some form of relationship was that you accepted me as a female. So far you have honoured that agreement, for which I am grateful."

"V-oo mmm-y d-or-or."

"I so want to be so Daddy, I really do." I kissed him and soon after went off to my rendevous with Simon.

"Hi sweetheart," he said as I got in his car, "how's papa?"

"Okay, he wanted to know all about you."

"Mmmmmmeeeeeeee?" he said exaggeratedly.

"Yes you sweet lips."

"What did you tell him?"

"That I'd adopted you and you were now his grandson."

He slammed on the brakes and said," What did you tell him?"

"I told him you worked in a bank and your sister was a nurse and that was it."

"Did you tell him we were dating?"

"Sort of."

"Did he ask if I was gay?"

"Of course, so I bent over and let him examine my arse to prove we weren't."

"That isn't all gay men do apparently."

"If I was gay, it would make me a lesbian." I said looking out of the windscreen, "The lights have changed Si."

"Oh yeah," he said accelerating away, "I was trying to get my head around what you just said. I decided I couldn't, so I hope you're not."

"Not what?"

"Not lesbian."

"Of course I'm not otherwise I wouldn't be here with you, would I?"

"Unless you were in denial,"

"What!"

"This is making my brain hurt Cathy."

"Well stop it then. I am not lesbian period, okay?"

"Okay, and I'm not gay."

" I know that Simon, so why do you keep telling me this?" I watched his face grow redder. I knew damn well he wasn't gay, but this was too good to resist. "Why are you going red Simon?" Of course this made him worse.

He pulled over to a bus stop and was explaining how awful I was to him when a bus came up behind us and tooted loudly at us to move.

Realising that he was sensitive about my teasing I decided I would apologise but also talk to Stella when I could. Was he hiding something from me, I mean he was ex-public school, all flogging and buggery if the stories are to be believed.

I did apologise for teasing him and he calmed down. Eventually we drove up to the old Severn Bridge and walked across it, arm in arm. I was rather glad because it was very windy but the views were magnificent and looking down to the new bridge was spectacular. Both bridges are architectural masterpieces and form the main road route between England and Wales, 'Lloegr and Cymru' according to the signs.

We stopped to admire the view once again as we walked back and I suddenly thought of the people who had jumped off the bridge, the saddest being a woman who threw her children off first and was stopped from jumping by a passer by. Her kids drowned she lived. Her reason, she wanted to spare them from this evil world. Sad or what? I decided I wouldn't tell Simon that tale, it was too sad and we were having a nice walk, although I was getting cold.

He noticed and shepherded me to the services where we had a cuppa and a cake at horrendous cost. Back at the car he told me he had to go home soon. I felt sad but knew that I would see him soon, like wednesday night and my dormouse survey. I reminded him and once back at the house he wrote it on his Blackberry.

"You don't have one of these then?"

"No, I'm not a geek."

"You have an I-pod?"

"I have an MP3, yes."

"Well then. I'd better pack up my stuff."

While he did so I made him some sandwiches with my own baked bread, I'd saved some for this eventuality. It also helped me to focus on something other than the loss of his company.

I heard him run up and down stairs a couple of times wondering what he was doing, but I was knee deep in bread, so waited until I'd finished.

I presented him with his bundle of food, sandwiches, crisps, chocolate and a drink.

"Goodness, a complete picnic, what a pity you won't be there to share it."

"I know," I said feeling a sniffle coming on.

"I'd better go."

"Yes m'lord."

"Oh shut up. Play your cards right, you could end up as Lady Staneberry."

"I'd have thought that was your step-mother."

"No she's the Countess."

"Stella?"

"Okay, she's Lady Stella, you'd be Lady Catherine."

"I don't think the powers that be would accept that."

"These days they don't have a choice, anti-discrimination laws are pretty tough."

"I'm not holding my breath, Simon. I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I am enjoying every minute of this heavenly dream I'm having, it almost feels real. I don't need a title to be happy, just you."

He swept me off my feet and kissed me and squeezed me so tightly that I thought I was going to suffocate.

"It isn't a dream, it's rea...." at this moment his mobile rang and he was almost going to ignore it but decided not to. He listened and nodded to me, "Looks like the sting is going down. You might get your bike back eventually."

"Oh Simon, that is brilliant," I squealed, yes squealed with delight and hugged and kissed him.

* RSPB = The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.

up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Better & Better

Things are looking up for Cathy, even Dad is accepting. Except you lost me here:

"V-oo mmm-y d-or-or."

"I so want to be so Daddy, I really do."

What did dear old dad say?

Oh, and why do I have a feeling there are some extra goodies waiting for Cathy when she gets upstairs? Maybe a Blackberry?

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Translation attempt ...

I think it was

V-oo ==> You
mmm-y ==> My
D-or-or ==> Daughter

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite."
Robert A. Heinlein

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Thanks Nicole

Once I read your translation, I was like "Duh!". Sometimes I'm more blonde than other times.

And Angharad, you can keep dropping this story on us 1,000 words at a time every day as far as I'm concerned!

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

And the music is!

The Entertainer of course!

Re: And the music is!

Thanks, Wendy Jean! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to think of this Scott Joplin rag! (Subtly places index finger aside nose, then slowly flicks it forward!)

Jenny

Creeping Americanisms

With the ever present influence of American media, both terms are used in UK now. And have been for many years.

Keep in mind that our fave author is British.

Simon

OMG!! SIMON'S Bi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We yanks think that about royals and such, ya know Kim Philby? Isn't the BC a funny place to say this?
I'm having way too much fun. That was my Valley Girl. If you could hear a rugged 300#er say it you would laff too. Need to watch NFL and man-up
TTFN
Cefin

She doesn't believe in Santa Claus?!!

And she wonders why there is only coal in her stocking ( which is why her leg is so dirty).

Still loving this.

Bev