Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 135

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off a Bike.
by Angharad
part: 135

Eventually I recovered my senses from the embarrassment. It had to be one of his jokes, but he continued staring in the jeweller's window. "Do you fancy any of them?" he pointed at several trays of rings.

"I think we need to talk," I said feeling my colour rising again.

"What about?" he looked puzzled. "I thought you said, you loved me?"

"I do."

"So what is there to talk about?"

"Lots. If you were serious, and I am not convinced you were, there are all sorts of complications involved."

"I am not that stupid even though I do work in a bank."

"Can we go and find somewhere more private and warmer, where we may be able to talk this over a bit more fully?" I asked feeling very uncomfortable talking in a public throroughfare.

"Okay," he threw his good arm in the air in a mild protest, but walked on with me, his arm around me again.

We strolled for maybe a couple of hundred yards when we discovered a small Italian coffee shop. "This do?"

I peered through the tinted windows and net curtains, it was busy but there were spaces. I nodded and we went in. We found a relatively private table and ordered two latte coffees and a cake each.

"You didn't answer my original question." Simon looked accusingly at me.

"Which one was that?" I was playing for time.

"My proposition to change your surname."

"Ah! Erm, well that is easy enough, it's the method which is the problem."

"I'd have thought it was the easiest," he said accepting his coffee from the pretty, dark haired waitress.

"If things were ordinary, that might be the case, although with your background it might not be."

"What's my background got to do with it, I thought it was yours that was the trouble?" He said almost angrily.

"Don't go all huffy on me, I'm doing my best here," I said feeling that wet sensation in my eyes again. "Your family, because of the publicity it's bound to receive upon your engagement or wedding, will be anxious to make sure it's all positive stuff."

"Dunno, there have black sheep in the past, my great uncle Marcus...."

"I'm sure that's a fascinating tale Si, but can we keep to the present issue? So you could imagine what they would feel if my history came out?"

"Not if we tell them first."

"If only it were that simple."

"Of course it is. I'll give Dad a ring," he pulled out his mobile.

"Simon, please wait until we've finished discussing this before bringing in other parties."

"He is family." His expression drooped.

"I know and I liked him very much," I lied but well! "I'm not so sure about your step mum."

"She's okay once you get to know her. Once she knows, she might leave you alone." He looked up at my stony glare, "Maybe not."

"Also look at how much publicity I'll receive, which I don't need right now. Besides I don't know what my dad would think."

"Of what, the publicity or getting married?"

"Either or both. Besides we can't, legally anyway."

"Why not?"

I rolled my eyes, thinking, Simon some days you are so thick it is untrue. "I am still legally male," I said very quietly.

"Oh, until you have your op, you mean?"

"No, even after that, until I go through the process to get things changed, and that takes time. Plus, I have to do the life test which means a year before referral to surgery."

"I think Stella can help there," he smirked.

"You've been talking to Stella, about me?" I felt betrayed, although given the circumstances, it was more inevitable than anything.

"Yeah, don't worry, she knows this surgeon and if I slip him some...."

"Simon, it doesn't work like that, they have protocols to follow."

"I'm sure we can get round that," he smiled.

"I don't know if I want to." I shook my head in disbelief.

"What? You don't want this sorted?" He indicated his groin, "Or you don't want to marry me?"

"Why do we have to decide that now, we hardly know each other?" I pleaded with him.

"I know you're the woman for me, or will be."

"That's very flattering Simon, and I love you for saying it, but I need more time."

"Well at least have your op, and then we could you know," he raised his eyebrow a couple of times.

"Have sex," I said bluntly.

He blushed and nodded.

I blushed too, because while at times it felt like the most important thing on the earth for me to feel my body wrapped around this man, it wasn't an absolute priority, earning a living came before that. There was no way I was going to parasitise anyone, however much they wanted me to. There were also the opinions of Dr Thomas to be considered, she could be at risk if she referred me too early and things went wrong. A psychiatrist in London had been suspended because of exactly that. I respected her too much to put her at risk, even though I felt impatient at having to wait for a year.

"I need more time Simon and please don't take that as a reflection upon you. You are a sweet man, most of the time," he opened his mouth to protest but changed his mind, "And I love you dearly. Were things normal, I'd have made passionate love with you, but they aren't, so I can't."

"I'm sure we could improvise," he said hopefully.

"I'm sure we could, but I don't want to. I want to right, to feel right about myself before I offer myself to anyone, and you in particular."

"Oh," he said, and his face fell again.

"I'm still new to all this Simon, I have much to learn about myself and just being a woman."

He nodded, looking rather downcast. "Does that mean you want to play the field a bit?"

"I hadn't even thought of that," I confessed.

"I said I was happy to wait, and I am, you know."

"Yes I know you did and I respect you for that, probably more than you realise." I felt my eyes well up again. His hand found mine and squeezed it.

"Can we still remain friends, or have I blown it?" he said his eyes looking very worried.

"Of course we can. I know, we can buy each other rings, friendship rings."

"I want you to wear my wedding ring, or engagement ring, not a friendship ring. That's something teenagers do."

"I was going to say, which would be a symbol of our pledge to sort this out when I had overcome the existing obstacles."

" I don't know." With that he stood up and went to pay the bill, I got up and followed, neither of us had eaten our cakes and I hadn't drunk my coffee either.

As I threaded my way between the tables I felt ill prepared for all this. I wondered if things would have been better if I hadn't met Simon or Stella and was still chasing my degrees as Charlie. Then I knew that wasn't true, I was just hadn't got time to worry about relationships when I had so much to do with work and just learning to live as a woman.

There were many people at the university who I hadn't dealt with yet, who would need to be brought on board, and although the rumours were whizzing around the grapevine faster than broadband, I needed to make sure they got the picture from the horse's mouth. I needed to sort out so many things, including having some time for me, but with Dad and Simon, that was impossible.

Some days I wondered just what I had got myself into. I was living the dream, but felt somewhere in the shadows there was this thing lurking which could so easily flip it into a nightmare. The pressure seemed all around me, and then there was the malefactor who was sending me the poison mail. I felt like running away, or better still, cycling off into the sunset.

up
171 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Time for a sitdown

Cathy needs to sit Simon and Stella down in private and have a long chat. Gags for the two may be necessary. But Cathy has to remember the Golden Rule - Them that has the gold makes the rules. There are ways to sort out her problems that won't get people like her doctor in trouble. Coming from the academic world she is used to following rules and checklists, but that is not the only way to get things done. For once she should relax and allow the system to work for her. Lighten up, hon, and don't keep looking for the problems. To quote from a song by the Eagles: "It may be raining, but there's a rainbow above you. You've got to let somebody love you, before its too late."

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Another Dip In The Roller-Coaster

...of Cathy's life. But, why does it seem like she's always trying to climb out of the car whenever it's going up?

Ah! I think I know. This is a daily soap opera, and it's not meant to end as long as the ratings hold up? Or, like Admiral Krunch's not-so-little confection is it scheduled to run for a year? In his case, that's 52 weekly episodes. In this case, that would be (gasp!) 365 episodes?

Actually, I'm just whining for the pure exercise of it. I think the story is developing quite nicely. If there's a problem with anything, perhaps it's the impatience of this reader and her deficiently simplistic emotional capacity. A typical short story has one dramatic/emotional arc, with one oft-obligatory twist somewhere near the end. A novel might have two or three intersecting arcs and a couple of twists in the middle.

Despite it's daily-installment delivery schedule, this really doesn't read like a soap opera, but much more like a novel. Being, I suppose, the afore-mentioned impatient sort, I was hoping for some more revelation and resolution before perhaps one more crisis and a big, either flowery, tragic, or hilarious ending. The thrice-weekly crises are simply wearing me out!

Ever since Erin dubbed this a soap....

Angharad's picture

....I have tried to include some of the issues that happen to transitioning girls. They didn't all happen to me, the only peer of the realm, I snogged was someone who collapsed and I tried to keep alive with CPR - they died! It wasn't MI but Aortic aneurysm. Oh well, shit happens.

Back to the storyline, I also try to keep it light at times, 'literature lite', 'cos if you're laughing you won't notice how bad the writing is. Like I said, "Shit happens!"

hugs,

Angharad.

Angharad

False modesty

"Back to the storyline, I also try to keep it light at times, 'literature lite', 'cos if you're laughing you won't notice how bad the writing is."
For shame, you're just fishing for compliments, Angharad!
Bad writing can be unintentionally funny, but it takes skill to make people laugh deliberately. People will laugh once or twice at bad writing, but they won't persevere with a story to the bitter end. I must admit to having read the complete works of William McGonagall, but only once and in disbelieving horror than amusement...
Erin is right - it is a soap, but much better than anything on the telly at the moment.

Sinisterpenguin

New To The World

Cathy does have "issues" to work out. First off is that she has been physically and mentally beaten down all her life. She now expects nothing else. That's why whenever her life is on the upswing, she is always waiting for the "other shoe to drop." She hasn't learned to believe in herself or others just yet. She is a young innocent girl just trying to learn how to deal with the world.

A personal note to Cathy...GIRL WAKE UP! Haven't you ever heard of a long engagement! Simon is about as good as it gets with a guy. So quit throwing up roadblocks, grab on to him and never let go.

Hugs and love,
Cindy

I dunno...

At this point, it's only been what, a month, two? That Simon and Cathy have known each other, Simon might feel he knows everything he needs to know about Cathy within that amount of time, but it is hardly unusual for someone in a relationship to not feel ready for engagement yet that soon.

Yes, she could always be engaged to him long before getting her legal status and etc sorted, however, the feeling I got from her behavior in this episode was that of an individual just simply not ready to commit to an engagement at all. Her legal status was a convenient excuse of the moment, when she feels ready, she'll likely ignore it if it's not sorted by then. (Please note, I have NOT read ahead, I'm following this story from the beginning and ignoring the 1000+ future chapters other than as a note to how far behind I am. So if this prediction proves true... well... I promise I don't cheat!)

I should well be able to recognize the symptoms, I myself am still in the stage of balking at getting emotionally involved as a boyfriend with anyone, and use the fact that I can't really even support myself let alone a family as my main excuse. Excuses in such emotional situations are convenient, they allow you to evade the underlying problem for a bit longer. I do not know or even have a conjecture as to why I balk at dating, I'd probably need someone else to tell me ;) You know, being too close to it and all that...

I am not so naive to think my admission here is completely anonymous, but I also know that no one I'm likely to know in person will connect me to my presence on this site without prompting.

I'm also pretty sure that if I meet the right person she'll see through my excuse and everything will be a moot point anyways... At least that's what I try to convince myself on the rare occasions I'm regretting not getting involved with anyone.

Anyways... back to Cathy - she's been severely traumatized by her past emotional attachments to her abusive parents, the only time she's ever had a remotely emotional attachment that wasn't abusive before now was that RI teacher... And teacher-student emotional attachments are hardly on the same page as family. And that's exactly what she'll feel like if she becomes engaged. Family. Which brings us back to her abusive parents...

Abigail Drew.

A chapter a day

and this is chapter 135, so that puts us 4 months into the life test. Am I wrong?

She needs to talk to both of them why she's driving her Dads car.

Wonderful

Wow, after reading all 135 parts of this story I can't wait for the next tidbit to devour. Keep up the woonderful story and may Cathy fine what her heart really desires.

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in true friendship

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Posting Yourself

It's very easy to post Yourself. You get a large box and put the postage for Your weight on it. Call the postal service and have them do a pickup at Your front door . Climb in and tape it shut from inside. So easy.

Re: Posting Yourself

I hate to burst your bubble, Gabrielle; but it is NOT that simple! At least, it isn't here in the United States. The USPS has a maximum weight limit of 70 lbs! :-(

Jenny

moving forward

Square it with the doc, and sit down and do some soul-searching. Do I really want to embrace womanhood ? Unlike "spells r us" I hear it's long and painful journey. She's got a great support team with unlimited resources, if this is truly what she wants, take advantage of them. Wow, you're good, I lost track of this Being Fiction.

Cefin