Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 186

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Forgetting what It's Called.
by: Erm...
part: 186.

I sat with Simon for about an hour. We didn't say much we were both upset, he cuddled me and I fussed him. We both cried. We both held each other. We both spent several minutes staring into space, or found the leaves of a dandelion suddenly very attention holding.

Finally we had dealt with our immediate emotional needs. "Let's go and see how she is." I said to Simon who nodded his agreement.

The walk to ICU took about ten minutes. Henry was sitting next to the bed, Stella hadn't moved. The machines were still bleeping away. Henry looked to have aged about a hundred years since I last saw him, he looked grey.

"Any change?" asked Simon.

Henry shook his head. He looked so sad, I just wanted to scoop him up and hug him to death.

"Henry, why don't you and I take a little walk, just to keep the circulation moving."

He looked up at me and shook his head, no.

Simon went over to him. "Go on Dad, I'll stay with Stella. I have some dirty jokes to tell her anyway, which I can't tell Cathy because she's too young, and I can't tell you 'cos you've forgotten what it's all about anyway."

"I'm not that old," Henry said indignantly, "ninety three isn't that old these days."

It wasn't that funny, but given the stress of the situation we all fell about laughing, tears rolling down faces. I glanced at the bed and Stella was smirking. I gasped and pointed at her. She had heard the joke and tried to laugh at it.

Suddenly the walk didn't seem like a good idea. We all sat and talked to each other and to Stella. The nurse came and changed her drip, she was still receiving blood, this was now the sixth unit, if they had used all four the original doctor called for. That is a lot of blood.

"I think Tom is going to have a car boot sale with all our clothes," I said trying to sound funny.

"Tell me about the visit of the hunt," said Henry.

Simon and I related the story, making it deliberately funny. Especially the punch up at the end.

"So Simon thumped someone who grabbed you and you hit someone who grabbed him?" said Henry verifying his understanding.

"Hit someone, she laid him out with a whack to the chin with a yard brush." Simon emphasised a little too loudly. The nurse came and asked us to be quiet.

"Are they going to repair Tom's fences?"

"Supposedly, but you know what they're like?"

"Yes I do, I used to ride to hounds myself." Henry asserted himself, "So did little boy blue here, Stella didn't, never did really like horses and killing things."

"Well that's something we have in common." I was blushing but stood my ground. "Killing for sport is morally bankrupt."

"A woman of strong opinions eh?" said Henry nodding at me, "I like that in a woman, don't I Stel?" I gasped again as she nodded in answer to his question.

"Can you open your eyes Stella?" I asked.

She moved her head from side to side. Obviously she couldn't. I leant forward and gripped her hand.

"Can you squeeze my hand Stella?" she moved her arm but seemed unable to carry out my request.

I held on to her hand. "Squeeze my hand now, Stella." She did as I instructed.

"Open your eyes, Stella."

For a moment nothing happened as if she was still downloading the instruction, so I repeated it. Her eyes moved from side to side. Then one fluttered open but closed almost immediately.

I ordered her to open them again and finally after several false starts she managed to do so. At first they didn't seem to be connected to her brain, they were largely unseeing eyes not recognising us immediately. Finally they did because she smiled at her father.

"Stella you can talk, talk to your father." I issued the instruction and she eventually managed to garble a message to Henry. He was crying the whole time. She squeezed his hand and he wept with joy. Maybe she was going to make it after all.

We stayed with her and had a very rudimentary conversation during which she fell asleep every few minutes, then she'd wake, say something unintelligible and go back to sleep.

We left her to sleep about half an hour later, she was obviously very tired. Henry wanted to stay but we persuaded him to come with us for a late lunch.

"So how is the Dormouse Queen?" asked Henry, "How is the project going?"

"Unless Tom is moving it, it isn't going very far or fast. There is just so much paperwork to accept any sightings, especially those of unusual sightings. I'm expecting one of a unicorn any day now."

"Are you trying to tell me they don't exist?" Said Simon, pretending to cry. "I saw them in Harry Potter, they exist you know. Just 'cos you're a bloody expert on dormice, don't mean you know everyfink like wot I does."

"I'm afraid they only exist in enchanted forests and we have very few of those in the United Kingdom."

"If you're such a bloody expert why can't you make more forests enchanted?"

"That needs a special permission from the Queen herself."

"Which I suppose is why there aren't too many enchanted forests."

"Absolutely right," I congratulated Simon for his total support during this week.

Stella said something in Double-Dutch that not even Tom Boonen would understand, then went off to sleep moments later.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

another talent?

Geez, now Cathy is a faith healer?

"Squeeze my hand."

"Open your eyes."

"Rise, I say unto thee. Rise and walk from this hospital room!!"

"Hallelujah, it's a miracle!!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Cathy just doesn't take any sh*t from anyone

And if Stella's going to lay there and pretend that she can't move, Cathy will just have to make sure she changes her mind. Guess it just took someone strong who didn't treat Stella like and invalid and reminded her that squeezing a hand, opening her eyes, and talking, was a good thing. And Cathy is the good one who did that. Yeah, I guess you've convinced me, maybe they'll be crediting her with miracles next.

Good chapter. Seems like Cathy is the most together and the strongest of the bunch. That family better thank their lucky stars for her.

I reckon Stella…

…would fancy Tom Boonen summat rotten.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

OK who is Tom Boonen?

This said from a yank, so sorry if I should know him.

I thought all the forests in England were enchanted? You Mean THERE ISN'T ANY Unicorns?

Oh my, have I been told a fib?

Grinning.

Very well done Angharad.

Hugs
Joni W

I did know

not because I like cycling (I don't) but because Tom Boonen happens to live rather close to me, so our local media find some need to make a report every time he farts.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Can I breathe out now?

I held my breath almost all the way through that.

I do hope she's okay.

I've been worrying you know. Still, she has Cathy to look after her and now Dad and Simon are there too, it'll all be tickety-boo in no time eh?

NB

Thank goodness

It doesn't appear you've turned Stella into a vegetable.Although she still hasn't said anything to coherently yet.Hopefully a full recovery is in order I'd hate to see her turned into a gibbering fool.Thanks for keeping at it.Amy

I still wonder what happened to Stella

Why did she bleed so bad?

Did they simply caterize the worst bleeders, put in a lot of packing and hope the blood would clot and the leak seal up on it's own? She is the Lord's daughter so rhe surgeons would be lothe to carve her up needlesly lest he carve them up.

Though she might not want to be a mother I could see her happily as a surogate for Cathy and Simon if Cathy could find an egg donor or, as it supposedly was done recently, her genitic material repacing that which was in an egg and the egg grew as a clone thought they stopped that developement at a few dozen cells.

At least it looks like Stella will live. Maybe this will be a wakeup call to her to be a little less recess in her life. Thanks for a happy one after yesterdays horror episode, Ang.

However far off I am, Here's to a good life for alll of your characters and fans.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

nhs

amyzing's picture

Did they simply cauterize the worst bleeders, put in a lot of packing and hope the blood would clot and the leak seal up on it's own? She is the Lord's daughter so the surgeons would be lothe to carve her up needlesly lest he carve them up.

Well ... first, recall when Cathy first met Stella and Simon? She didn't know that they were part of the peerage for quite a while; it may be well known to Stella's and Simon's cow-orkers, but they didn't mention it, and neither of the kids made a big deal of it, either.

Plus, Stella prolly works for the NHS, based on the previous stories. I'm not British, but based on tales from friends who are, there's an attitude within the NHS that private clinics are full of hacks who can't make it, or prima donnas who don't pay attention. Neither is true, but it means that when Stella wants a discreet abortion, she probably won't go to the NHS (her friends are there; stops being discreet), and she can't really ask for a recommendation for a private clinic, so she has to disregard whatever she's been told and just pick one, that's private and that will take her with few questions asked. There's likely to be a market.

(For that matter, I've been wondering whether Cathy's surgery is on the NHS or private. I think Cathy believes it's on the NHS, but that doesn't mean it is, when there's money to pay for it to happen as a private thing; she'd be dutifully filling out the forms and not even aware that bypassing the GIC just isn't done; her guardian angel Stella would simply be dropping the word to her colleagues to send the bill to Lord Simon, presumably)

Anyway. If Stella went private, and had bad luck as a consequence of trying to avoid anyone who knows her, then it might explain the poor result, especially if you add in that she's a nurse and might decide that she knows enough that the doctors can't push her around. Leave too early; doctors shrug; hemorrhage, shock, and a near thing to death.

Angharad, are you a fan of Armistead Maupin? Easy as Falling Off a Bike reads to me with the same headlong pace, by turns whimsical and thrilling.

Amy!

NHS SRS

I'd be very surprised if Cathy thought her SRS was being carried out by the NHS. It is available but not that easily and certainly not that quickly. A very good friend of mine has jumped through all those hoops successfully but it took her a year or two. There's no doubt that Cathy is under no delusions that her operation is privately funded by (presumably) Simon.

In any case I don't think it's all that useful (though certainly entertaining) to speculate on future trends here as our delightful raconteur has admitted that even she doesn't know what's happening even from paragraph to paragraph. That's what I like about this soap - well that and the cycling of course :)

Geoff

Yes, Cathy Is Stella's Sister Now

It took sweet, gentle Cathy to get Stella to come back. Cathy's magic would not Stella hide. Now will Stella tell her Dad and Simon the truth? If so, will they use their authority to punish the quacks that almost killed Stella in their botched surgery? For any doctor to do what was done to Stella is a crime!! Please return to Cathy's merry misadventures.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

phew

kristina l s's picture

that is a relief, even if I didn't really believe you'd kill Stella off. This little thingie just keeps on keeping on and I like the way you do it.

Kristina

Chapters

this is a good story but you have a small problem here dear. I read Chpter 185 yesterday it is now listed as 184. Chapter 182 is listed as 186?

But none the less this is a good seral and love the whole thing.

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

Confession

It will probably come out about Stella's abortion. It is her business, but this kinda brought it out into the open. We'll see how it goes.

It's not unusual

Double - Dutch or Welsh No wonder Tom Jones Changed his name, two Englebert Humperdinks would have been too much !
Great ICU setting
What disaster will befall Cathy ? Her father ?

Cefin