Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 170

Printer-friendly version

"I was only joking Cathy, I just wanna ring the neck of that little bugger who jumped down your front."

"Why, Spike is adorable?"

"Why, if I did that in front of half the world's press, you wouldn't accuse me of being adorable?"

The image flashed through my brain making my toes curl, "No I doubt I would think you were adorable, but you're not small and furry."

"Part of me is," said a quiet voice.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad
part 170.

The next morning, I awoke in the strange bed and once I remembered where I was recalled the last time I had slept here, with Simon. I felt really warm thinking about the past, it distracted me from the nuisance of the present. I lay there and reflected, a less happy thought assailed me.

I had come very close to telling Simon that day, but didn't. I wonder what would have happened if I had insisted and told him. Life could have been very different. It might have been impossible.

I tried to shift my mood by reminding myself that these things didn't happen so why worry? Deal with what is happening, it's bad enough.

My thoughts were interrupted by a tap on my bedroom door, a familiar face popped around the door. "Simon is on the phone, would you like to speak with him?"

"I suppose I'd better," I said with mock annoyance.

"Here ya go," he handed me the cordless handset, "press the green one." The door shut and I pressed the button."

"Hiya Simon," I piped down the phone.

"Hello Babe, so you got back alright?"

"Yes, no problem. Are any of them around today?"

"Just one strange car."

"Do you think anyone has put two and two together like Des did?"

"I don't know, I'll go out and get all the tabloids later and see."

"Would Des sell his story to one? I mean my story?" I hoped Simon could reassure me.

"I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't."

"I mean he wouldn't want to get his own back for my rejection?"

"Good lord no, he gets about twenty rejections to the acceptance. It doesn't stop him asking mind and he rarely goes without."

I sat there for a moment wondering how someone could be that sexually motivated, it was such an alien concept to me, then I wondered what it would be like making love as a woman. I hoped it would be good. Then I wondered what it would have been like making love to Des.

"Is that okay?" asked Simon.

"Sorry, you broke up there," I lied, "I'm on a cordless and it goes faint every so often."

"I said, I'll get the papers and Stella and I will check them out and call you if there is anything."

"Oh yes, thanks that would be great." The very idea of appearing in the News Of The World, a tabloid which we used to call, News of the Screws, because of it's frequent sexual content. It had outted many a seemingly innocent transsexual just for the tittilation of its readers. "The bastards!"

"I beg your pudding?" said Simon to my outburst.

"Sorry darling, I was just thinking about all the poor people that have been needlessly exposed by tabloids."

"Yeah, okay I'll agree with you on that one. We had a master at school who was gay; I mean we all knew about it, but no one took any notice. He wasn't camp or anything; in fact he was a nice guy much liked. He was caught at a gay party and exposed, he was suspended by the trustees and topped himself. Hanged himself in his room. Never allowed The Sun, near me ever since."

"I wonder how many times that has happened?" I speculated.

"Dunno, a few times I'll bet, I mean that was like fifteen years ago, so things are a bit better. It's only because you're marrying me that there's a story."

"Maybe, or the fact that I rather foolishly get involved in other people's lives." Was I rueing what I'd done?

"Oh come off it Cath, you could hardly let the guy nick Stell's bag could you, and as for leaving that kid to burn? Well the question answers itself."

"What about the dormice?"

"They could have burned." This was a wind up to change the subject.

"You what? How dare you torment my babies like that...."

"I was only joking Cathy, I just wanna ring the neck of that little bugger who jumped down your front."

"Why, Spike is adorable?"

"Why, if I did that in front of half the world's press, you wouldn't accuse me of being adorable?"

The image flashed through my brain making my toes curl, "No I doubt I would think you were adorable, but you're not small and furry."

"Part of me is," said a quiet voice.

"What!" I gasped and nearly fell off the bed laughing.

An hour later, I was dressed and breakfasted and out with Tom and his hound. We walked over some fields and it felt good to get some fresh air and exercise, without fear of being identified.

We entered a woodland and I was able to show Tom a few things he'd have missed. Mainly birds and plants, I couldn't find any dormice, well signs of, but his dog found some badger poo and rolled in it. It stinks, even in the fresh air.

"You're quite a good naturalist aren't you?" said my mentor.

I shrugged, "Depends on who you're comparing me with."

"A lab rat like me?"

Before I could answer, his spaniel jumped up at us and we had to jump aside to avoid being rubbed with the smelly mustelid droppings. I know dogs do it to disguise their scent, but really! She couldn't understand why no one wanted to fuss her, thank goodness we hadn't come by car.

"I was going to go and get us a roasting joint," said Tom, pushing the dog away, "but I think someone needs a bath."

I sniffed under my armpits. He roared with laughter, "You silly bugger!"

We both walked on, making silly conversation to each other and laughing, while avoiding the efforts of Kiki, his spaniel, to jump up at us. I felt like being out with a father, except when I'd been out with my dad, we tolerated each other rather than indulged each other like Tom and I were. I could speculate until doomsday as to whether or not my dad would have come around to my change, if he hadn't become crippled by the stroke, and I'd still be none the wiser. So I enjoyed this piece of fun while it lasted.

By the time we were walking back to the house, Tom had his arm around me in a protective way, and I found myself enjoying it. He noticed.

"I might seem like a dirty old man, but I'm not, you remind me of someone, that's all."

"Mary told me all about it." I smiled at him, "And I don't mind, in fact it's nice, it's like being out with my dad."

He beamed at me and yet there was a hint of sadness in his eyes which he hid as soon as he saw me notice. "Long time ago, I should let it go."

I put my arm around his waist and we walked on, his arm around my shoulder.

"Sunday joint," I said.

"Oh yes, can you nip out and get one plus all the bits we need?" he asked at my prompt.

"Yes, for how many?"

"You, me, do you want to ask Simon and Stella?"

"Can do, anyone else?" I asked.

"Pippa and her boys?" He suggested.

"Might be too late for that, she probably organised what they were having a week ago."

"It looks like a good day, give her a ring, the kids can play with Kiki."

"Yes boss," I said curtseying.

I did as he asked and phoned around. Pippa said she'd love to come but the boys were at her mother's for the weekend. So I invited her by herself. Simon and Stella were happy to pig out on my cooking, and they agreed to collect Pippa, well Stella agreed for Simon, he was out collecting newsprint. I set lunch for two, a little late, but to enable me to get it ready.

I dashed to the shops and picked up a piece of silverside, some spuds for roasting, some flour to make Yorkshire puds, and assorted veg. For sweet, I decided I'd do an apple sponge, that is stewed apple with a sponge on top. I got some fresh single cream to pour over it.

Driving back, I detoured two or three times up cul de sacs, no one was following me. Daddy had my mobile number and so did the hospital, so I wasn't too worried about staying in hiding. No one was tailing me when I hid my car around the back of Tom's house.

When I carried all the shopping in, two journeys were necessary, a rather damp dog greeted me.

 £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £

The mendicant author has her comment begging bowl out again, please treat her kindly- remember Bonzi, the ultimate deterrent!

up
172 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Alright!

I give in; just keep Bonzi off! Please.
This just gets better, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Sinisterpenguin

I was going to say

Angharad's picture

Bonzi is the ultimate detergent, because he's always washing, but I'm not sure how many would get it.

Angharad

Angharad

I did, but I wish I hadn't!

I had a dog who liked nothing better than the smell of long-dead hedgehog in the morning. Cowpats with a crust but still-squidgy centre were his second favourite.

Sinisterpenguin

We had one of those...

Dogs are strange aren't they?

I won't tell you some of the other things she used to do... The worst time was when she did it and we had to take her home in the car. We must have looked like Ace Ventura and his girlfriend, driving with our heads out of the windows. We had to or our eyes wouldn't stop watering!

Another good-un Ang.

Don't know what I'd do without without my daily dose in the morning. I look forward to the story too.

NB

Bwahahahaha! Gratuitous

Bwahahahaha! Gratuitous laugh.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Hmmm....

So Pippa is invited... and Simon is invited...

and why is my spidey sense starting to tingle???

or maybe it's just the badger poo.

I haven't been keeping up too well

Who is Bonzi?

Nice quiet chapter after the aggravation of previous chapters. Please keep this going, or failing that, may I request a nice ending for Cathy & company?

Please?

KR

Bonzi

Angharad's picture

is my cat and co-author, when he isn't laying waste to the neighbourhood.

Angharad

Angharad

The Mind Boggles…

…as to what Simon's small furry thing might be? Cathy perhaps?
(Boggle…Boggle…Boggle…Boggle…Boggle…Boggle…)

Another enjoyable episode.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Enquiring Minds Want To Know...

...just which part of Simon is small and furry? LOL

Thanks Angharad, I needed that laugh so much. :)

Hugs and love,
Cindy

Hmmm,

Maybe his brain? Or just his head? Naw, his head ain't that small.

170

Mendicant, indeed!. The rest of us are the beggars.

marie c.

marie c.

clink clink

WOnderful story still, and if I miss a day I need to catch up on what 3 or 4 chapters it seems like. Looking forward for more, and Doggie rolling in fart-e-lizer is a almost daily occurance here... Seems like I'm washing her 3 times a week at least!

*HUGS*
Robi

*HUGS*
Robi

Yorkshire pudding

I've heard of it and I've seen pictures of it but what exactly is it I'm assuming it's not as bad as hagus. Another great chapter and the tabloids are as bad as Jerry Springer aren't they? Amy

Yorkshire Pudding & Tabloids

Yorkshire pudding is sort of baksd savoury bread/cake made from batter and delicious if done well, which I'm sure Cathy will do. The 'tabloids' are like your Fox news in print with the addition of semi naked women on most pages - so very progressive, liberal publications, lol.

Yorkshire pudding explained for Americans

erin's picture

Take some of the drippings in the bottom of a pan where beef has been roasted and put a little of the grease into each of several muffin cups. Pre-heat the muffin pan. Mix a batter similar to quickbread (eggs, milk, flour, salt) and pour into the muffin tins, not full, but all up the sides of each cup and some in the bottom. Bake. (This bakes faster than one big one.)

Each of the "muffins" is an individual Yorkshire pudding. I understand that this is not the only way to do it but a British friend of mine makes these and they are delicious! They're eaten with the meal like a bread. Be sure to have gravy made, too, with the rest of the drippings in the pan.

Individual Yorkshire puddings from Wikipedia

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

mom makes them.

I believe that is the same way my mom makes them........ I never really cared for them. they seemed too bland and chewy to me. but then again, my mother is known for not useing spices.

A.A.

Spices?

You don't spice Yorkshire pudding!

Well you can, but I think there's another name for what it becomes under those circumstances.

As was said previously "...if done well, they're delicious". Erin's recipe was nearest to the one I use and we have them as a substitute for spuds or rice.

I don't use dripping, and the recipes I have read don't suggest that either. I guess that part is down to preference. As for being chewy in the way you describe? They shouldn't be like that at all.

The trick is to have the oil (or fat) smoking hot when the batter mixture is poured in. Do the pouring in bit as fast (but carefully) as possible as the oil/fat will cool very quickly - I use as ladle for this. Return them to the oven, which has been reduced to about 180 to 200 degrees celcius (350 - 400 degrees f), for about twenty mins if you're doing them as Erin suggests and I would say she's spot on.

Making one large portion tends to stop the batter from cooking through before the outside has gone hard, the bottom is firmly stuck to the dish or tray in which it's been poured and the inside is a gloopy mass which isn't pleasant at all.

Salt is essential or they will taste really bland. So if you're a health food nut, this and many other things that taste nice because they have been seasoned well are out of it for you.

NB

Drippings

erin's picture

Using the drippings where beef, onion, garlic, neeps and carrots were roasted gives more flavor to the puddings than just using oil or butter. Butter is problematic anyway, the temperature range where butter is hot enough but not smoking after the pre-heat is too narrow. The outside of the best pudding is crisp maybe even a bit flaky, the inside may be slightly chewy but not unpleasantly so. If not cooked properly, the center can be a bit gooey but bland, chewy YPs is just wrong! Take the taste of excellent brown beef gravy and imagine an eggy, crisp quickbread with that flavor. :)

Timing and temperature are crucial, don't try to make them if you're not willing to screw-up the first couple of times. A cast iron muffin pan makes it easier since the oil/grease doesn't cool off while putting in the batter.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

maybe, pan juices is better

kristina l s's picture

Dripping gives such a FAT connotation. Pan juices are the best for gravy and I guess puddings. Never done puddings or cakes, probably should expand my horizons. Don't think I've ever had Yorkshire pud either...deprived childhood or what? Maybe I'll give it a go.. sounds do-able. Um..what's a neep?

Kristina

Neep?

Turnip.

I prefer parsnips.

If I can make Yorkshires, so can you. It may take some practice and make sure you leave the batter mix for half an hour in the fridge (at least) before you use it. Don't ask me what it does, but it's better that way.

NB

Thickens I suppose

erin's picture

Maybe gives the egg and milk time to penetrate the flour?

If you chill the batter, you definitely need a castiron pan. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

RE: Thickens I suppose

Or a grinding wheel to get the bloody stuff off whatever you're cooking it in afterwards as I found out Monday night...

yokshire

laika's picture

I caught my Yorkshire puddling so I had to take a rolled up newspaper and-
Oh sorry, you're all talking about something else entirely. My bad.
~~~contritely, Laika

Yorkshire pudding should be eaten ...

... BEFORE the main course as a dish on its own. The idea was to fill up on cheap stodge so that the expensive meat went further. I haven't eaten roast beef for a very long time as I'm a vegetarian, but my late father-in-law always ate his Yorkshire before the main meal.

Geoff

Before?

I suppose it depends where you come from doesn't it?

Silverside?

I googled it and came up with 'Silverside is a cut of meat we generally associate with 'corned beef' but it is also a great cut of meat to roast!"

So I guess that makes it what we in the colonies call 'brisket'?

Keep edicatin' us poor furiners, Angharad.

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Wrong end of the cow :)

erin's picture

Silverside is bottom round roast.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Goodness,

Angharad's picture

I didn't realise I'd need a translator! What do 'mericans eat then?Thanks Erin for saving the day.

Angharad

Angharad

Obviously

erin's picture

We eat bottom round roast when we can get it! :)

Oh BTW, I laughed out loud several times reading this one, and I haven't been keeping up so sometimes I might have been laughing in the wrong places. :)

Hugs.
- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Laughing in the wrong places

That's me all over.

Call me warped or twisted, but I just seem to find exactly the wrong place to laugh.

When I saw Gremlins and they described how the father disappeared, only to be found half way up or is that down the chimney...

I was the only bugger in the cinema laughing.

Hmm.

Definitely twisted.

NB

Know the feeling,

Angharad's picture

While watching 'Educating Rita', Michael Cain, says something like, "Not a lot of people know that", his supposed catch phrase. I roared with laughter, no one else seemed to get the joke - but then it was Swansea.(Oops!)

Angharad

Angharad

Just so

We saw 'The Full Monty' in North Carolina when we treated our hosts to a night at the pictures. As Sheffield isn't a million miles from where we live we tended to catch the jokes just a touch before the locals as we were rather more familiar with the accent and the dialect. Not totally embarrassing, but close.

G

Glad Cathy can shop near the Prof's house

I'll do my bit to keep you off the street. Here's my 2 cents. :-)

It's nice she can shop there without being recognized (for now). Perhaps it was the scarf & dark glasses that gave her away at home. :-)

Thanks a fun read when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Phran

I know I'm the original comment slut

Angharad's picture

but they really are more interesting than the story. Who'da thought it, although in all fairness Bonzi did warn me.

Angharad

Angharad

You have it wrong

The Comments are interesting because of your writing. Now my children will get the chance to Have Yorkshire Pudding. My grammy made some for me many years ago and Why I have not been as kind to my dear Daughters I shall have to fix soon.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

..man, what man? the man with the power of whodo, whodo?

Thought this might be a good spot to quote Gary Grant. Soon Simon will be comparing little fuzzy things to each other. the lobotomy was a failure. In a more serious vein, I owned and fired a Carcano rifle, Oswald had to be a wizard to hit Kennedy's car.
Here we go again. What disaster looms? This is like watching "All my children" and look how money their writers got paid
Time to toss a few quid in the hat
Cefin

Roasts

I have just read what a silverside is, a bottom of the round. US = pot roast. I see in my mind the white/silver membrane on the SIDE
A common people separated by the same language (not Welsh)
Now I understand what all the lb signs are for. I just tossed in 100usd I challenge everyone to tithe this ( 10 %)