Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 114

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part lost count.

"I thought you'd gone." I stated feeling very surprised, Stella seemed to out manoeuvre me at every turn.

"Who me, nah, are you making any more tea?"

"So who shut the front door then?"

"I did, I was going to leave but changed my mind."

"Why?"

"Because I wanted to apologise and talk to you."

"Apologies accepted, but I'm not sure I want to talk to anyone at the moment."

"Okay, then you can listen." Before I could say anything, she added, "and while you're at it make some more tea."

"Yes your Majesty," I said making a curtsey.

Until I was sat back at the table with a steaming mug of tea in front of me, and one in front of Stella, the only conversation was banter.

"Now I don't want you to interrupt, just pin back your lug-holes and listen." I nodded and pretended to zip up my mouth. "Do that and you won't be able to drink your tea, now behave and listen.

When I first met you, I wasn't quite sure who or what you were, and you were kind enough to confide in me your true status, which was female. It seemed you were overwhelmed by someone who wasn't fazed by your revelation, and you opened up to me even more. I still feel very privileged to have been one of the few people who know the full story.

I'm also privileged to be involved in the emergence of a beautiful butterfly from the caterpillar I first met. I'm not given to complimenting other women unless it is true, you are turning into a very beautiful woman. You are also growing into the role very nicely. So nicely, that at times I forget you aren't a full female yet, it's very easy because you are so natural. But you are also inexperienced and that shows at times. However, that will all come with time and practice.

You have also become a good friend to me in a very short time, who also happens to be more or less the same dress size, which is useful for dumping my old clothes." She winked at my goldfish impression.

"However, you have become important to Simon, which has another facet to my relationship with you. It is nice for me to have my brother going out with a friend of mine because I get to see you more often and Simon encourages our friendship. So everyone benefits.

Simon has gone for you in a big way, bigger than anyone else I can think of and whilst that may be a mixed blessing, I believe you feel as deeply for him."

I found myself beginning to tear up again and nodded at her statement.

"I honestly believe you two are good together, and while it's early days to be talking about a long term relationship, it's possible."

I shrugged my shoulders, who could say?

"In fact, Simon has been with you longer than most of his other dates. Okay, we can't read too much into that, but it has to be a positive thing. Of course our father, who isn't in heaven but Hampstead, it's like heaven but dearer, has been wanting to see him settled down with someone for ages. So, he wants to meet the woman who is having such a beneficial affect upon his son. He is also intrigued by the descriptions of this lovely, young woman. He may be my dad, but he's also a man, if you get my drift. I don't mean you can't trust him, he'll flirt given the chance but that's all. My step mother has him firmly under control."

Somehow this pep talk was still making me nervous of meeting her dad, who was an aristocrat and a roue. I don't want that sort of attention, Simon is enough for me and because he knows, I can relax with him. My female social skills were far from developed yet I felt I was being steam rollered into meeting with Lord and Lady Stanebury. I was very conscious that I was relatively gauche compared to them and worried I might commit a faux pas and have it reflect on Simon.

"So I would like you to meet with them. They are actually very nice, even though I say so myself, once you meet my dad, you'll see where Simon gets it from, the charm I mean."

I decided as she paused that I had listened enough, "Look it's all very well to tell me all this but it doesn't stop me feeling uncomfortable. I am not at all sure it's a good idea and I should hate it to reflect upon Simon, just because I prove to be a prat."

"Simon isn't going to be there is he? So how can you embarrass him?"

"They might discharge him from hospital," I said defensively.

"If they did, he would be at home and fast asleep. He won't be out and about for weeks."

"Oh!" I deferred to her superior medical experience. Then when I considered his injuries, it was rather obvious. He wouldn't be able to come out to play for some time. But that could mean I get my proposal finished more quickly, except I shall want to nurse him, damn, I hadn't thought that through and what about my own father? Would I have time to breathe with all this hospital visiting? I was going to have to organise myself!

"Right Cathy, please go and shower and dress and we can go and grab a bite somewhere then go and see the prodigal son."

"Is he prodigal?"

"Yeah, sort of, he and my dad fell out when Dad told us he was getting married again. It took them a few years to come back together."

"Don't tell me with your mediation?" I offered, impressed with her negotiating skills.

"My step-ma helped too, she wanted us to work as a family."

"And do you?"

"A dysfunctional one." She laughed, "We're like the Simpsons on steroids!"

The concept of anything that awful was so funny that I laughed out loud and then began to giggle, so did she. It was several minutes before we had things back under control.

I showered and dressed, tidily enough for lunch and off we went. Stella insisted on driving, she had the Saab. If Simon knew, he'd be very uneasy, he was when he learned I'd been driving it.

Of course we ended up at the shops and she practically twisted my arm off to buy a new outfit or three. I bought a rather slinky dark green velvet dress, which with the right sort of accessories could be a smart day dress or even a cocktail one in the evening, except no one I know does cocktails. I hope it stays that way.

I bought a lovely embroidered blouse in Laura Ashley and skirt in Oasis. Then in Wallis, I saw a winter coat I really fell in love with, a rich red greatcoat style coat. Stella was very taken with it.

We had lunch and chatted, then it was off to the hospital and Simon. How was he going to cope with both of us?

On the way to see him, I called Southmead and they were still in isolation with the 'Noro B' virus or something like that, a nasty diarrhoea and vomiting illness, with projectile vomiting! Yuck. Dad had stayed clear of it so far, but he wasn't as well not seeing me. I thanked the nurse I spoke to and asked her to tell him I had phoned.

When we got to the ward, we had a meeting with the doctor and ward sister about Simon, who was nagging them about going home. Stella then volunteered to take a fortnight off to have him come home, if I would do the weekends, to give her a break. I could hardly refuse, could I? However, this wouldn't start until next week as they wanted to observe him a little longer.

Stella handled Simon with great skill, she was a real negotiator and always got her way, running rings around her older sibling. He agreed to keep quiet for a few more days and she would consider applying for some outstanding leave and I would cover for her at weekends, to give her some time off.

Once Simon heard that bit of the deal, he agreed to it immediately asking for it in writing. We stayed for an hour and a half, by which time he was quite tired and began nodding off. We took our leave and Stella dropped me off at my room, dreading the following day and her parents.

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Under pressure

Oh, Stella is a smooth one, isn't she! Builds up Cathy, telling how close they have become, then she slids the knife in: "So I would like you to meet with them." Can you say "guilt trip"?

Sis, you didn't say if Simon gots that in writing, not that he needs to. Cathy is a woman of her word, I can tell.

Okay, enough sweetness, lets get back to the bloodbath. Time for the bad guys or girls to take a hit.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Stella

Poor Cathy getting steamed rolled by Ms. Stella what better way to calm down then shopping theropy ask any girl worth her salt ,, Well shopping and Chocolate
I hope Cathy get a new mommie and daddy and sister and Simon becomes her ultra special daddy (wink wink nudge nudge)
thank you

christi

Stella

I know some are ragging on about Stella, but, think on this, Kathy really is inexperienced, and quite often quite willfully shows that she will drag her feet and balk at almost anything and use any excuse to justify it. She really is lucky she has made a friend in Stella whom has taken to her in being a role model sister, and has enough determinination to give a certain push in the *ss, when needed. Maybe Stella pushes too hard @ times, but she is getting results. It hasn't been quite clearly stated in the story yet, but, I believe she's also the "pushee" behind her brother, just using other tactics.

Kathy has Stella
Gaby has Maddy Tucker series by Ellen Hayes
Tucker has Debbie Gaby series by Maddy Bell

Just thinking back to all the other other stories I've read or known about, all the 'main' charactors seem to have in common that one 'protagonist' that would push her friend past the uncomfortable and get her to see YES she really does belong in the role cause she is really that person to begin with.

If I had that sort of friend when I was transitioning, I'd probally would of growled & yelped as much as the "3 Charactors" I just mentioned in their stories. Unfortunately I didn't, NOR, was I able to complete my journey into 'womanhood' due to other issues & medical problems. But I'd still love to (have/had) that one friend in life that I could of trusted to keep on me, yet been there @ any time for the shoulder to cry on when things went wrong. I know many that have transitioned and most all have had that one common denominator.

Any way I ranted enuff...... I'm reading this with alot of enjoyment and unlike many of the commentators three years after the face & I'm already know there's LOTS of chapters to go on this story & only complaint I've had is I seem to be reading to damm much & not getting other stuff done that i should be doing........ well a girl needs HER reading time, doesn't she ?? Keep up the very good work ANGHARAD :)

Stella

Hey, Stella, (come down to the waterfront). was I being too vague? Seems a lot of those in the audience know this story, Bravo!!
Stella is the best thing to ever happen to Cathy How do you pull all this out of your mind onto paper? I'm still in awe.

Cefin