Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 202

Printer-friendly version

A spokesperson of the local NHS trust, said,"This is the first I've heard of this case and I can categorically assure people in this area that those patients who are diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder, receive the treatment concommmitant with the diagnosis and recommendation of the doctors involved. However, the numbers of genuine transsexual people are relatively small."

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part 202.

I came down to breakfast a little late, having been disturbed by a nasty dream. I was juggling dormice for a living and was being pursued by a nasty tabloid reporter who rode a bike too. He was faster than I was and each time I tried to escape he chased me down. He also threatened Spike, which was when I woke up crying. It sounds silly I know, but at two in the morning, it seemed genuinely scary, especially as his bike was total crap compared to my Scott and he still out rode me!

I washed and dressed and went to breakfast. Tom and Stella were deep in discussion. "Here's our resident expert," said Stella.

"On what?" I asked yawning.

"On being transgendered or however GID people want to describe it these days," Stella sounded irritated.

"I'm no expert on it," I declared.

"Read this," she passed me a short article in the local paper.

'Portsmouth Man Wants To Be A Woman.

Ken Young(46)claimed that doctors in Portsmouth were not taking his desire to be changed into a woman seriously. He claimed that, 'It's okay for young and pretty things like Lady Muck the 'dormouse woman'(We featured a story on this several weeks ago)to get sex changes, but for older and 'uglier' men, the doctors actively obstructed his treatment and right to have the operation.

A spokesperson of the local NHS trust, said,"This is the first I've heard of this case and I can categorically assure people in this area that those patients who are diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder, receive the treatment concommmitant with the diagnosis and recommendation of the doctors involved. However, the numbers of genuine transsexual people are relatively small."

A spokeswoman for Transgendered Britain, a charity and pressure group for 'trans' people, said, "As far as we know, People in Portsmouth get a reasonable service from the NHS regarding reassignment and assessment, though things could always be better. There are lots of people who feel transgendered but who don't want to do anything about it for all sorts of reasons, not that changing over or surgery are the only options. There are also quite a few who think they are transsexual and are either deluding themselves, because it's part of some other mental problem, or who are failures in their original sex and they think life would be easier on the other side of the equation. They are invariably wrong."

Ken, who wants people to call him Kendra, still feels he's been hard done by and will be writing to his MP to protest.'

"So the 'dormouse woman' is alive and well, I see." Was my only comment.

"He looks about six foot five and the proverbial brick shithouse comes to mind," Stella was very critical.

"Yeah but how can you diagnose someone from a newspaper article?" I asked.

"I've seen them in Casualty, where they start to do the job themselves, see a bit of blood, discover it hurts more than they thought and call an ambulance."

"Well I suspect some might get desperate enough to try a bit of DIY."

"Cathy, most of them were pissed or barking. Surely they realise that someone who tries a self op job is going to be seen as unstable by their trick cyclist anyway. So will probably never be referred."

"I suppose I hadn't thought about that."

"I see one in clinic now, has had three operations since he mutilated himself. He lost one testicle and has massive scarring on his penis, which has now developed a kink to the one side."

"Like the Old Man of Kent?" offered Tom.

"Who?" I said.

"There was an old man of kent,
Whose tool was exceedingly bent,
To save himself trouble
He stuck it in double,
Instead of coming he went!"

"I wish I hadn't asked now," I said after groaning.

"The man from Devizes is better," suggested Tom.

"I think I can live with the uncertainty," I reassured him to prevent more rude rhymes.

"It was a young woman of Devizes we used to sing at the rugby club," said Stella.

"Oh God, these aren't rugby songs?"

"Of course, how do you think Tom knows them?"

"I'm more concerned how you know them," I said to Stella.

"Simon played rugby, he's also my brother, ergo I went to the rugby club as a visitor. Some have women members anyway, some even run women's sides. Remember, there is talk that they are going to make bicycles for women one day."

"Ha ha, okay point taken. Now what about this article?"

"Well he's a waste of time isn't he?"

"I don't know, he may feel the same as me."

"He might, but whereas you pass as an ordinary woman..."

"I object to that, Cathy is a rather beautiful woman," interrupted Tom.

"Okay, Cathy passes better than most real women, that man mountain in the paper won't. They can't lop a foot off his height or make him less wide, and he'd need a head transplant. He looks like a pig who met a bulldozer at speed, head-on."

I was blushing, "I think you're being very hurtful to him."

"Cathy, I'm being realistic. He hasn't got a prayer of making it." She looked at the date on the paper, "No, it isn't April first."

I looked askance at her.

"I wondered if it was an April fool's thing."

"I still think you are being mean."

"He referred to you as, 'Lady Muck', which makes him a toad in my book, he also looks the part, assuming a toad could actually have that much hair on its face."

Tom sniggered. Then he pointed at the sideboard behind me, "Bible," was all he said.

"Make sure you read the King James version, the more modern ones aren't as poetic," said Stella.

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I have to agree with Stella

I have to agree with Stella about some who cannot pass regardless of their inner self. Life has been very cruel to them both ways. This could be called "insult to injury" as that is what they get from unfeeling people. Cathy doesn't seem to have that problem and should be just fine after her surgery is completed. Not too sure about the Simon matter just yet however. J-Lynn

I don't know

I think I'd have to agree with Cathy on this one, it isn't right to judge someone based on their looks, no matter what she may look like, she's still a woman. Looks aren't everything, it's inside what counts and what matters. I know transwomen who couldn't pass however they are still happy being themselves, and they find peace with themselves, saying something like this demeans that effort. I want to clarify something, I am not attacking the author, no I am against Stella's point of view and I feel it is selfish and uncaring.

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

I have to agree as well

Its mean and downright cruel for someone to say what stella did, much less have the NHS actually possibly condoning that policy. That means, for those that are poor, that their govt guarantees can have the op, and cant get it, the only choice left for them to be happy is to off themselves. Thats a piss poor attitude. All of our sisters, no matter how well they pass or not deserve equal treatment and kindness from all of us as well as a professional attitude from the NHS and its employees. This Chapter left me feeling much hatred towards Stella and a complete dislike of her in this story period.

The inside of a person is what matters. When the outside is needed to change to provide the happiness the person needs, they should get the support they need: Not a-hole branded bigotry and criticism. Anyways. Thats my disagreement with this chapter and the point that was contained within.
 

    Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

More Agreement: Bad Stella!

I agree with the other posters who wrote above. Stella dropped the rugby ball!

There are heavy, natural-born women out there. Does anybody besides me remember the late Julia Childs, cuisiniere extraordinaire? She was six feet tall (personally, I prefer to say five feet twelve, but that's just me!) and built like a (what did Angharad say in the story?) brick outhouse (or something like that). And did you ever hear her speak? Voice definitely in the tenor range, lower than contralto. She could easily have passed for TG but was GG!

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Suicide

I am pretty much in that boat. So that leaves people with two choices, suicide or a long life of unhappiness. I don't think Stella has truly put much thought into it as she should have.

After a while suicide starts looking like a viable choice. Do you think Stella would agree? Probably not, but it is where her opinion leads people.

Add me to the list.that agree with Cathy

It isn't your chance of being a beautiful young girl, or even a pretty older woman that determines if you are transgendered, or transsexual. I'm neither young, not ever going to be even average pretty, but ti hasn't stopped me from taking the road I sometimes wish I had known about many years earlier.
Yet, I still pass reasonably well, and some friends have said it is because I am now, finally on the way to being who I am, and I'm satisfied with being her.
Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

However

Stella is saying that if one cannot pass, one cannot be TG "for real"

Hmm?

Well Stella is wrong, there is no for "real TG" as she is putting it, it doesn't matter how well you pass as long as you pass with yourself.

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Right

If you look at which comment I was responding to, it puts me in agreement with you.

I wonder what inspired this episode

Since our dear author claims to now know what's coming till she writes it, I suspect there was some current event that spawned this chapter. Hmmm.... ok chapter but no progress toward resolving the Simon thing.

Angharad, Lady Muck Indeed!!

You must have had your funny bone tickled to have posted this chapter. But at the same time, I feel sorry for those who mutilate themselves in order to transit. If I could have one wish granted, it would be that all t.g. women happiness and joy.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Dressing Down

Stella is being extraordinarily unpleasant on this subject. She certainly deserves the good dressing down on the subject that Tom is preparing along with the passage he intends to quote from his bible.

Ever the wiseacre, Stella of course is giving literary advice on which version of the bible to use.

Really, aside from anything else, wouldn't Stella realize that being a prig on the subject is only going to hurt Cathy's feelings?

tbh, i think stella's opinions are hers...

I dunno, theres always a few wackjobs that come out after a news story announcing thier the same. and to be honest, people who may THINK thier women or men, or ineterminate may simply be that, DELUDED... not nice, but inherently true.
If every man who announced that he was a woman was really female, then we would be damn short of men...
To an extent i agree...
BUT announcing that unpassable = not ts. and passable = ts is nuts...

(even some that pass are ts :P)
i could announce tomorrow that i was a turtle. and some would congratulate me on admitting who i really was, and fight for my right to wear a shell deluded or really actually mentally a turtle...
then again, a lot would just call me barmy...
I wont go into my views on some Transsexual people, theres a deffiante barmy cohort. and its nice to see someone actually mention that. instead of the huggy huggy lets all be bestest friends for life aproach some hold... sure makes me giggle :)
A

A Cat among the Pigeons—or Dormice?

Well, Ang, there's nothing like being controversial, is there, Sis? Well, it wouldn't be a story otherwise, would it? Although it seems a little uncharacteristic of Stella; maybe Mrs Moon is lurking, or is she just being devil’s advocate? After all it was
Stella who helped Cathy to be herself about 200 chapters back. And what's happened to Simon? Is he still being truculent and feeling sorry for himself?

You spin a good yarn,

Hugs
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

It Is An Issue Of Safety

jengrl's picture

I have been living fulltime going on three years. I am lucky that I am considered of average height for a woman and I seem to pass well. I have not had much of a problem blending in. I do feel that some of my sisters who don't pass as well become targets of hate mongers. I really feel for them , because life has been very cruel in placing them in a body that makes them less able to blend in. I have known some girls who don't really make an effort to pass. They go overboard with makeup, wear clothes that stick out or don't have the deportment and mannerisms down. I agree that Stella appears cruel by saying what she says, but sadly there is some truth there. I think that everyone's feelings have value and are no less important. There are just some realities that cannot be ignored. I know that our local support group has over sixty members, but only a handful ever come to the meetings out of fear for their safety when dressed. I really feel for them and wish that our society was more accepting. It is so sad that life can be so cruel to so many.

Hugs,

Jenn

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

two sides

kristina l s's picture

Simple fact, physical presence will impact on passing. I think Stella is being a bit insensitive but that's because of the implied attack on 'lady muck'. I know a few people that simply will not transition because of their physical reality. There's probably some visit here. I am not little miss totally pass for a girl without question every time. But I get by and mostly pass without trouble. Most TS/TG types are in a similar boat I suspect. Just doin' the best ya can.

Anyone remember John Lithgow in Garp? It can be done. But it aint always easy I've seen it fall apart and people give up in the ultimate sense. That's sort of the reason for the whole RLT and medical checks and twin psych evals. Hell, you have to be mad to contemplate it in the first place. Unfortunately, there's mad and there's MAD. How many of you have been in some sort of TG group and been more than a little 'worried' about a few there?

Perception and reality don't always mesh. Sad fact many can't and won't and some should never be allowed to try. Each to their own choice and may it be a happy one. At least for the most part. Sahdes of grey, always is.

Kristina

Sad, very sad

As TG is a very sad condition. It's of no matter if you can pass well, be it female or male. Fact remains you're not the real thing ™ and you know it. This never leaves and will creep up on you on unwanted occasions. Maybe you're 5ft 3" and totally femme, but can you have kids?

Are ugly people less TG then beautiful ones? 'Course not! Do they deserve derision or compassion? I think it's not that hard to answer. If a mtf TG isn't good looking, over 6 foot -and then some- or build like like a line-backer, does she not qualify for HRT and/or GRS? Why not? Are we going to turn all women who don't answer to the mold we subconsciously apply into men? I think not.
There is a host of ftm TG's who can't reach high enough to pick produce of the top shelves at the local supermarket, or speak with 'the rumble' required for real men ©. Lets go and put them, and all other small and frail looking men, in frocks. Let's decide for them all what'd suit them best, huh..

I know everyone with transgender mock-up will answer this without doubt that it doesn't make any difference. Yet we secretly count our blessings (if any). I know I do, and I'm 6ft 5" and pass easily. Or I smack 'm :)

Very confronting of Angharad to put this discussion in our faces. I wonder what elicited this. It's also nice to make everyone with GID questions recalibrate, I gather. In that way I've come to think of this BC classic as a recurring thought provoking exercise. With that nice slow rythm to it :)

Jo-Anne

Sigh

This is clearly going to degenerate into a pass vs no-pass debate which can never be won by anyone. I sincerely vote that we agree to disagree.

Personally I think Stella is just being realistic, voicing the view of the rest of the world, which contrary to popular belief of those Trans folks in the "Accept me no matter what camp", DOES exist.

One has to be pretty naive in a world where you can be judged to be a person or a non-person merely by the color of your skin ( I am Asian ), or wearing the right shoes ( eg high school ) that people will not be even more judgmental if you change what most consider an "immutable *rolls eyes*" part of ones self - ones sex/gender.

I personally pass very well, now ( at least in America ), but have observed first hand in outings with my T-support group, that people will read you even if they don't confront you with that knowledge and you do become an object of pointing and whispering at best. And we all know what the other extreme can be.

You have to made of pretty stern stuff to withstand that day after day. In this case I am referring to people who are average in being able to pass. One should be able to transition if you want to but the statistic that they will be able to live happily is less optimal. So, yes, a gatekeeper should put such a person under deeper scrutiny and I know of some folks who object to it.

And in extreme cases, people, short of a major redo of the face especially ( which is VERY costly ), or getting rid of a basso profundo voice, I am afraid it is just not meant to be and I feel very sorry for them.

Kim

Like I said earlier

There is always suicide. Think about what you are saying.

poetic

There once was a Lady from Muck,
who glued when she wanted to tuck.
But when loose, the mere sight
of her made flee in fright,
the fiance she wanted to cuddle.

Good writing Angharad

I was checking out TS-SI today and there was an article similiar to this debating the differences between the HBS/ts way of thinking verses the transgender logic.Although the premise was different I see the same type of thinking.It started out something like this,If a woman with a penis and a man with breasts and a vagina went to a nudist place what would happen. http://ts-si.org/component/option,com_news_portal/itemid,898/ is the link for the site.While we may wish for the rest of the world to see us the way we wish unfortunatly even the most passable fail when stripped of cover unless they have had surgery.While some may feel harmed or shocked by this story line I'm not and Angharads ability to bring fresh ideas and controversial subjects to her story never cease to amaze me.It adds reality to her story and shows her talent.Amy

I have seen

I have seen many women born with female bits who couldn't pass as females. So should they be made to live as men? It is NOT about passing, but so much is placed on that. Perhaps that is the reason so many off themselves before they reach 40 years of age.

Beauty is a fragile thing that can be taken in a flash; it is only skin deep.

Interesting reaction this bit has gotten

Is the social comment being made in this episode that those that cannot pass should't transition? Or is it more a comment on society, that tries to force people to "measure up" to various pre-conceived notions of attire and behavior. Without said society imposed "rules", passing and not passing are non-issues.

That said, we are forced to live in the world we have, not the one we prefer. Those that present themselves as female (whether they are or not, genetically or not) have a much easier time of it IF they pass fairly well. I don't belive anyone would disagree with that. I'm not talking SHOULD, I'm talking actuality. I'm not saying right or wrong. I could wish that society's (neighbors, friends, loved ones) perceptions matched mine, but hey I'm not the center of the universe. We all have to live in the society we find, making our way as best we can.

Thanks for a thought provoking episode Angharad, one where the comments exceed the episode in length.

Easy as Falling off a building

As to Angharads reasoning for Stella's comments that is her business. I as a writer would have done something similar because it is a fact of life that I experience every day. I will never pass, I know it, my husband knows it, and anyone with eyes can see it. Does that make me male? Not on your life, I have lived in misery and pain for the majority of my life and been in treatment for over 15 years. I am GID not delusional. Am I one of the few lucky ones that found acceptance early enough or had a low enough testosterone count that I look feminine? Lord no. The kindest comment I have ever received when out in fem was “It’s not an ugly woman, it’s a man”. Wishing the whole time I was an ugly woman.
Surprising what you will settle for, to be who you need to be instead of whom society expects you to be isn’t it?

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Brick outhouses

Looking like a brick outhouse doesn't make you one. Looking like a man doesn't make you a man.

Society is a control freak; if it can't be understood, it can't be controlled. Society has been indoctrinated into believing that there are only two genders - and that gender equals sex equals sexual orientation. As the song goes, it ain't necessarily so.

Methinks that Stella is merely going along with society's take on the subject because she hasn't thought it out properly. As many people don't.

And I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to why Angharad posted this chapter - unless it was to keep us all awake. I've news for you, girl, you succeeded.

Susie

turns of phrase

In one of those interesting cross-pond differences, the phrase "built like a brick outhouse" (or more often "shithouse", occasionally merely "house") describes a shapely female figure, not a beefy male one.

As the poet once said:
"She's a Brick house; she's mighty mighty, just letting it all hang out.
Yeah, she's a brick house; that lady's stacked,
And that's a fact, I ain't holdin nothin back.
Oh, she's a brick house;
yeah she's the one, the only one, built like an Amazon."

Turn of phrase

A comedienne on this side of the pond - Joe Brand - used to be a psychiatric nurse. Her main job - dealing with men such as Ang described who feel that inside they are women. They go through all sorts of therapy, hormonal treatment and heaven alone knows what else, but in the end, or in the main, they look in a mirror and what they thought was a cure has actually landed them in deeper water.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that Stella is right, but transitioning cannot be easy if what's on the outside won't match one's own self image or what one wishes one could be.

Men of that stature would have all sorts of problems fitting in after they had transitioned, as if they are not comfortable with what's on the outside, what hope is there for others to believe that's what they are?

I'm probably being contentious here, but I for one could never pass as a woman. I'm six four (or thereabouts), the shape of my body, weight, big hands and big feet could never be disguised and it would almost certainly be obvious that I was male, even if I had chosen not to be.

I would feel downright dismal if I tried to do what some of you have done (and I have the utmost admiration for), for I would see my reflection and see what I am now, no matter how much make-up, surgery or prosthetics could disguise.

To me and I suspect others around me, I would always look like the proverbial bloke in a frock.

It may well be that Stella has a point, although perhaps it WAS harsh.

Society will always tend to look with disdain upon people who are different, no matter how much acceptance there is said to be, as people feel uncomfortable with those who are not the same (regardless of how different we actually are from one another). If they could make us big folks smaller perhaps those of us who are built along generous lines could have an easier time of it, but it's not yet possible.

Perhaps it's wrong, but "trick cyclists" probably know more of the pitfalls that are waiting just round the corner for people like the man Ang described, who want to make the transition. "I'm a big man, but inside, there is a little girl trying to get out", but operations, hormones, prosthetics etc., are not going to turn a 6'4" man who weighs in at over 250lbs into a 5'6" girl who weighs in at just 125lbs are they? Never mind turning something that looks like a bag of spanners into something pretty.

NB

You poor dear

Not all women are 5'6'' sweetie, I know of a genetic woman who is 6' 8'' and other such women that are "built like bulldozers" yet they were BORN women. The key is not what is outside that counts, but what is inside. A girl I know very well, was born intersexed, however her selfish father decided she should be a boy, against her will. He forcibly masculinized her, and forced her to be a boy against her will. She is somewhat built like you described, however I will never call her anything but a woman, just as I will you if you'll let me. I know I'm not the best example for this, apparently I turned out very pretty, yet I am 5' 11'' almost 6 foot, hopefully I never will be though. Beauty is only skin deep, real beauty lies within. Hopefully someday I hope you'd see that, I told myself before I started I didn't care if I liked like the ugliest woman in the world, at least I'd still be myself and a woman. I didn't turn out ugly I guess, I'm not really sure I think I am, though the best thing you can do, is to find something about yourself that you like, and come to peace with it. I may not be pretty, or beautiful, but at least I know I"m cute ^^ tee hee hee ^^ I pray you find a similar peace, and also for those other women who happen to get crappy lives. *huggles to you all*

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Nothing like a good limerick

Nothing like a good limerick," There once was a man from Nantucket who had" never mind. The medical procedures for treatment in UK confuse me. Let me get this right, these procedures are paid for by National Health ? Across the Pond, you must dig deep to pay for this. I would imagine there are a lot of people at Cathy's stage of conversion.
Great chapter !

Cefin