Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 357

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Pine, Marten!
by: Angharad
part:357

After we got back to the university, I went off to push more paper around my desk and Tom went off to be counted. Why they would want to audit Tom, I didn't know, I could have saved them time. There is only one Tom Agnew, they broke the mould after him.

I rode home on the bike still not sure of what to do about Keith. I tried to rationalise with myself, that it wasn't my responsibility, I didn't have to make everything good for everyone else. So why was I fretting so much?

So rapt was I in my thoughts, rehearsing excuses as to why I couldn't help, ('Sorry I've got ebola,' 'the university doesn't like more than one per department and I got here first!') that I nearly ran down a pedestrian. It was Keith! Freudian or what?

"Lady Cameron, so that's what you think of me!" he ejaculated at me, and fled. I was left shocked by his outburst and rode home much more sedately.

I was in the middle of getting dinner, when the phone rang, it was Stella.

"I've been out on the bike, gradually getting the hang of the gears and things."

"Oh good, I'm really glad they let you take it out. I phoned the bike shop and they were okay for the week. Said, you can sort it out when you take it back. As they know Simon and me, they trust you."

"That's good, I did fifteen miles. I'm knackered now, but I had to tell you."

"Yeah, thanks for that, I'm really glad for you."

"So how's your day been?"

"I had a student tell me they wanted to change sex."

"Boy or girl?"

"A boy who wants to be a girl."

"Well at least you have experience of that direction."

"Yeah, but I don't know how much I want to be involved."

"Sounds to me like you don't want to be."

"Is it that obvious?"

"Fraid so."

"I nearly ran him over just now, riding home. He thinks it's personal. The irony is, I was so busy wondering what to do about him, that I wasn't really watching where I was going. I stopped just in time. Thank goodness for sidepull brakes."

"So, what are you going to do?"

"I don't know. Tom thinks it's up to the boy himself to do things as they have protocols and so forth for dealing with it."

"Can you just walk away and leave him to flounder?"

"I don't know," Stella was making me feel really guilty.

"How far would you have got without the active support of so many of us?"

"I don't know that either, Stella, that's the problem. Part of me wants to walk away, part of me feels obliged to help."

"Hmmm, so which part of you is going to transcend the other?"

"Transcend? I don't see this as something spiritual, more mechanical. It's about helping someone to jump through hoops or not, as the case may be."

"When you help others, you help yourself."

Oh no! Stella has had an attack of platitudes! "Sorry, Stella, I might not entirely agree with that."

"Oh well, that's your problem. Do what you want, it's nothing to do with me."

She was expressing how I felt. "Look, Stella, I know I was extremely fortunate, doubly so, having you and Tom to help me, and then to have Simon, is indescribable."

"Yes, Simon is indescribable," she laughed.

"I didn't mean it like that. Anyway, I think part of the problem is he sees me as a role model, and I'm very uncomfortable with that idea."

"So who else is he going to pick, erm, Caroline wassername?"

"Who? Oh Cossey, Caroline Cossey, the Bond girl?"

"That's the one, can't think of any other famous ones."

"I'm afraid my student is no Caroline Cossey."

"That's uncharitable of you."

"I mean it, too masculine looking."

"Oh well, I'm sure you'll sort out something in between saving the world and making porn films with Des."

"I suppose I shall have to."

"Right, I have to go. Give my love to Tom. See you at the weekend."

"Okay, Stella, take care on that bike."

"Hey, that's my line."

"What's that between sisters?"

"True. Byeeeeee." She rang off.

I went back to finish the dinner while I racked my brains about what to do.

Tom came in while I was making the gravy, "You know that student you were telling me about?"

"What about him?"

"He's put in a complaint about you, claims you tried to run him down on your bike."

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well then . . .

If he's come out to make a complaint about her and given their conversation as the reason, then Cathy no longer has to worry about keeping quiet, does she? But of course, isn't this almost precisely what Stella did? ;-)

'Course, I've never been the charitable type, my response would have been if I'd intended to run him down there would be tire tracks on him, so he needs to be more careful and watch where he's walking in the future! Then I'd see to it that he was removed from any classroom setting of mine, purely as a precautionary measure.

Cathy could clip some playing cards to her bike that would rub against the spokes, like we did as kids; then he could hear her coming and run!

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Intriguing as usual :-)

Another lovely chapter :-)

I don't know how you keep up the constant high standard :-)

Hugs

Alys

Poor Cathy, She Did It All Wrong!! :-)

She should just ask Stella about it. Funny how life seems to be replaying for Cathy in a way. Now i hope that she isn't in trouble for what happened or should I say almost happened.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Proves What I've Always Thought!

You have to keep your mind on what you're doing, whether behind a wheel or on a pair of them. Cathy is guilty of what I believe is called in the UK "think driving", eh? Don't think and drive!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Not much

Not much will come of it I suspect. It was an accident, it happens. I suspect Keith has problems he needs to work though.

Ungrateful Plonk

Conscience taken care of. Cathy, don't get involved with this dangerous person ! If asked, he stepped in front of me in an attempt to make stop, Barely, missed him End of story

Cefin