Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 237

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad 'n fawrreddog chlepia.
part 237.

I was discharged after two weeks of hospital hospitality, I couldn't wait to get home, well back to Tom's house. Simon collected me in the Saab and I was glad he'd somehow managed to acquire an air cushion.

Somehow the world had survived without me for a few days, much to my surprise, not only that but Simon had occasionally done the washing up. Correction, he'd learned to load the dishwasher - it was progress, I was planning on showing him how the washing machine worked too. If Tom could manage it, then so could he.

I was glad to be home, although it was obvious the three of them were hoping I'd be well enough to cook something. I promised I would after I'd done my stuff with the plastic and had a little nap.

Stella was now pretty well recovered from her liver problem, so I sent her out to get some chicken portions. I was asleep before she came back.

Did the stretchingmefanny get any easier? A little, it still hurt like bug...., come to think of it I hadn't tried that, so I couldn't compare it. However, I didn't think I'd bother, coping with one orifice was enough.

I was keeping a log of how often, how long and what depth I achieved, okay a bit anal, erm I'll just rephrase that. It was recorded so I could compare or measure progress. I am a scientist after all and used to keeping records of all sorts, this was just one more. However, at the present rate, Simon would have a long wait before I was prepared to take the risk of more pain.

I woke up mid afternoon and after showering and dressing, went downstairs. Simon was working on line, Tom and Stella were playing cards. To be fair Stella stopped when I arrived and went to make me a cuppa.

I followed her into the kitchen and saw the chicken portions she bought. I made a wine sauce and popped them in the oven, they'd do in an hour or two. Then I went back into the lounge and sat on my soft cushion. Ordinary chairs were a bit sore still, although I could cope at a push.

I had been put on oestrogen patches by the surgeon, which I would have to see my GP about to get a new prescription. I wasn't sure as I'd heard they can cause skin rashes and you have to move them each time you put on a new one. Seemed a lot of trouble compared to popping a pill.

I'd obviously lost some weight since the op, and Stella was jealous of my reduction in a dress size. I half wondered if I'd keep it up, but the probability was that my shape would change a little after the change in my hormone status. Since the op, my body would produce only small amounts of testosterone, so the oestrogen might have more effects, although I had reduced the amount of that too.

I felt so tired, which was the big surprise. My fitness levels went through the floor and I knew that I needed to do some exercises soon. I made an appointment to see my own doctor the next day and sort out one or two things. Stella had agreed to take me, Simon would be back at work and so would Tom.

Stella helped me with the vegetables as Tom and Simon were both working. I hoped that I'd be able to help Tom quite soon, even if it only meant doing something on line for him. Once the spring arrived we'd need to be ready to start the survey, I still had some protocols to finish writing. I also needed to see how my dormouse project was going and discover who was taking my tutorial students.

My dormouse project was going to be the basis of my PhD, the success or failure of the captive breeding and release into the wild. I already had nearly two years of data, I needed another two years and I could write up the preliminary research and submit it to the university.

Once that was done, I know Simon would be chasing me to marry him, assuming he hadn't got fed up with me by then. In other words our engagement was going to run for two more years. I was still thinking about a honeymoon in Menorca - did I mention they have dormice there!

I have already been invited to visit there and study them, they want to do something like my project, captive breeding and release. I'd like to help but for the moment, I obviously can't. It seems I'm starting to develop a reputation for dormice. Could be worse I suppose, at least it isn't for doing silly things like rescuing babies from burning cars or catching crooks.

Dinner was okay, not one of my better meals, but it was edible and apparently better than the curries they'd been living on for two weeks!

I had asked Simon to take me to see my father the next weekend. I had let him know I had survived the op, and was doing okay. This meant I had to organise some baking before I went and also making some soup. This time I was going to try some broccoli and Stilton, if I could get a recipe. I knew Simon had some Stilton, so I only had to persuade him to donate it to my experiments - hopefully there would be enough for him too.

Apart from the dilation and tiredness, I was almost back to normality. Correction, I wasn't working, so it was a little different. Nor was I riding my bike, apparently Simon was doing a bit of riding although it had been rather wet, so he didn't go far or often. I hoped he'd keep riding, it would do him good and encourage me to get fitter faster. Seeing as I couldn't drive for a couple more weeks let alone ride a bike, I'd have to do something else to improve my strength and endurance.

That night, with Simon's arms around me, I felt secure and loved as a female. I know I had felt all this before, but this time it seemed to have transcended something, as if before it had been a pale imitation of what I was now and how I hoped our relationship would develop.

As I lay there I felt a tear roll down my cheek, it was one of joy and contentment, as if all my past experiences had helped to get me to where I was now, which was where I needed to be and that felt good. I snuggled back into Simon's arms and fell asleep.

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Aaaaaaahhhhh, Sweet.

Need I say more?

Hugs,

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Very Sweet

Now please Angharad, keep the story coming. We love Cathy and company and want to see what you have in store for them.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Yeah Cathy!

But I can't believe those three lumps expected her to immediately come home and start cooking meals! I'd give them meals, can you say TV dinners? Or in this case, would that be TS dinners?

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I can't really say it just keeps getting better ...

But it isn't getting any worse, either, and that is meant as high praise.
Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

What's a six letter word for 'column'?

Cathy is so much the pillar of Simon, Stella and Tom's lives that I'm almost amazed that they didn't starve to death in her absence! Not sure why, but this episode really brought that point home to me - how did they survive before her, and what did she do before she had them? It's definitely a mutual, reciprocal relationship - and beautiful.

Cathy's got so much on her plate, as she's reminded us, so I'd venture to guess that the calm period that she is now experiencing in her life will be transient, by her own design if not that of a dea ex machina (aka Angharad).

More manna when you can spare it, please Angharad!

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Peaceful - that's a lovely way to go to sleep...

Perhaps she can do a little "walking". :-)

A nice episode. I'm glad you decided to continue things. I do wonder how her dad will take it, now that she's taken the next step.

Thanks, Annette

Aaawww!

What a beautiful part! Thank you (again), Ang!

By the way what does "'n fawrreddog chlepia" mean? Is that Welsh or doggerel or none-of-the-above?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

I believe “’n fawrreddog chlepia”…

…refers to Wales winning the Six Nations Rugby “Grand Slam”. I am happy for Wales and a bit sad for Scotland, but at lease we managed to avoid the ignominy of the “wooden spoon”.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Sigh!!

Thank you, Gabi, but that all means about as much as "'n fawrreddog chlepia" -- here in North America, I don't think people 'do' rugby much; certainly, I never hear about it. But, if it makes all you Welsh, Scots, Irish, and English* happy, then, good!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

* Did I leave anyone out? The Cornish and Northumbrians **have** come to grips with their loss of nationhood, haven't they? Here in Canada, we have our own separation problems. [Sigh!!]

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Canada

Angharad's picture

has a national rugby team and they played in the world cup last year.

Angharad

Angharad

The Log and Cooking are Fantastic Therapy

My wife was hospitalized with GBS(Guillain-Barré syndrome) for 113 days. At the worst point she was basically a quadriplegic. She could only lift her arm six inches off the bed, and I could push it back down with my little finger. She had a long recovery process. She had to relearn everything. Roll over, sit up, stand, walk. My mom flew out spent everyday with her for the first month. My mom started a log/diary of my wife's daily accomplishments during physical therpy. It was designed to boost my wife's spirit by showing her progress. Maybe it was mom's PhD in Psychology that made her think of it. The log also documented a relapse.

Another thing with recovery, is that you must stand back and let the patient do things. You need to sit on yours hands and watch the patient fail a few tines before stepping in only after they ask. Cathy cooking a meal will give a bigger boost to her recovery then the rest.

My wife's recovery from GBS was very very quick. We were expecting several years in a wheel chair. A number of things where done differently during here treatment and recovery including the log. Her doctor wrote her case up in medical journal.
-K

A nice story Kylie

Thanks for sharing. It helps us keep things in perspective.

I'm always amaized by what human CAN accomplish (not so much by what many don't accomplish).

Annette

Bike Chapters 230 to 235

I'm loving your story.
I was intending to only comment every 50 or 100 chapters but of course these particular chapters cover a cricial issue. I love the way your story reaches peaks of emotion and troughs of occasional despair, the dialogue is fabulous, --- hold on; a small furry thing called Suschie, (my daughter named her,) is reaching up with her uninjured paw (she's a rescue cat,) and gently scratching me to give her her food---.

I'll be back in a minute. OW! Stoppit cat! You'll ladder my tights! I'll have to go.

Here I am back at the computer again.
It was the usual thing. I go to the kitchen (This is six o'clock in the morning,) prepare her food then she ignores it momentarily and sits on the stairs ready to strike out through the bannister rail as I return to the computer. It's a clear signal to say 'make a fuss of me or I won't eat my breakfast!'
I have to sit on the bottom stair and give her a good 5 minutes of fussing before she finally stalks off and deigns to eat her breakfast. That's when I get a chance to make my wife a cup of tea and it's the only private time I have alone with the cat.
However cats can be fussy and all other cootches are devoted to my wife particularly the ones at night when we slob out on the setees. Me with a book and her with Sudoku or Telly.
I don't get a look in except for those precious early morning moments. Why do cats prefer girls, I never kick Suschie or hurt her but she still prefers to curl up with my better half. Though it has to be said, only my wife has the big fluffy blanket.
Only men kick cats, trannies would never stoop to such a thing but I'm afraid Suschie sees me as a man even when cross-dressed, (me not her!).
Anyway enough of cats, (Well for today anyway.)back to your story.

You've dwelt excellently upon the run up to the op and beautifully described the typical tensions that would have naturally overwhelm a person facing such an important stage of their lives.
Good luck in the futurs and I sincerly hope everything is going OK.
I often get down to the Club O in bristol on the third Saturday of the month which is tranny and transexual night.
I have several good friends there who are post ops and we have a good time just chatting and dancing without all the attendant worries of people coming on to you or stalking you.
Once again,
Good luck with your life.
Beverly.

Looks like

She will survive achieving her dream by making more dreams. Looking back this would have been a great story, now only 1300+ chapters to go! Onward, every onward!

I know it's only a story - BUT

I can't believe that Simon, Stella and Tom would expect Cathy to start cooking for them as soon as she arrived home from hospital. She should be resting with her feet up or in bed being waited on. What's worse she actually agrees to do the cooking! Grrrrr!
Bronwen

That's what happened to me

Angharad's picture

Same day as I came home I drove to the supermarket, did a big shop and then cooked a dinner.

Angharad