Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 249

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Bonzi Cat (an' 'er).
part 249.

I managed to get Simon into the kitchen alone. "Just where were you last night?"

"Erm, yeah, sorry about that, I did text you."

"When I was in bed. It frightened the death out of Des."

"Did it?" he laughed, then obviously re-ran what I said, "It what!"
He laughed nervously, you are joking aren't you?"

"Am I, you should have been with me, not getting drunk because Scotland lost at rugby, you should be used it by now."

"Ooh that is so cruel."

"Wait, it gets worse, I'm going to bet on Wales beating them next week."

"Nah, we'll get our act together."

"It's in Cardiff."

"So?"

"Well seventy thousand Welshmen does tend to give them a bit of a lift."

"Nah, it's about them trying to play a running game in front of their home crowd, and we just spoil it a little, they get frustrated and start making mistakes. We kick the penalties and win."

"Just like that?"

"More or less."

"You are going to take on a team which has just beaten England at Twickenham, in their home stadium, and beat them?"

"Yes why not?"

"How much?"

"How much what?"

"How much would you bet that I'm wrong?" I was gambling twice here, he could wipe me out in seconds, but I was gambling on him being more interested in the moral victory."

"How much can you afford to lose?"

"Why does it have to be money?"

"Because that's what bets usually are?"

"Okay, let's do something different. If you and Scotland lose at Cardiff on Saturday, then you will do the laundry for the next month."

"Laundry? What sort of bet is that?"

"Too steep for you."

"Don't be ridiculous," he said loudly, then clasped his hands to his head. I laughed gently, serves him right.

"Okay, you're on," he said when he felt the room stop spinning.

"What is my penalty, not that I am going to have to pay one?" I sounded quite nonchalant, but it was very superficial.

"You have to wear sexy clothes for the next month."

"What do you mean, sexy?"

"You know, turn me on stuff."

"You mean dress like a whore?"

"Erm," he blushed, "Ye.. erm, no, just sexy. You know what I mean."

I knew jolly well what he meant, I was just enjoying his discomfort which was made all the worse by his hangover.

"So are we talking top clothes, or underwear?"

"Erm, bbboth?"

"Isn't that two forfeits?" I was winding him up no end and he deserved it.

"NO! Ooh my head," he sat down at the table, looking very fragile.

"It's your own stupid fault." I berated him.

"I know, I said I'm sorry."

"Words are cheap Des..I mean Simon." My slip was deliberate and it had an immediate effect.

"What do you mean? Oh my bloody head."

"Nothing," I pretended to act innocent.

"If I thought there was anything between you two, I'd..."

"You'd what Simon Cameron? I have news for you Lord bloody Cameron, I was in my bed alone last night, where the hell were you?"

"I was unconscious on Tim's floor, which I decorated with pavement pizza."

"I hope you cleaned it up."

"No, but I offered to cop for the bill. It was on a polished block wood floor and a Chinese rug."

"Sounds expensive?"

"Oh don't say that Cathy."

"The corrosives in your stomach plus the tannins in the wine or beer, a nice mess."

"Oh hell!" he actually wailed.

"Don't you ever do this to me again, because you won't get into my bed again for a month, if you do. DO YOU HEAR ME?" I bawled him out without any concern for his fragile state.

He scurried from the kitchen whimpering. I'm not sure where he went, but he kept out from under my feet for a couple of hours.

This time we'd watch the rugby together next weekend and I'd be rooting for Wales and enjoying teaching Simon how to use the washing machine and the other finer points of sorting the washing and doing delicates on a different cycle, or by hand. That would get him! Come on Wales, I sent them positive thoughts for Saturday.

I began to organise the evening meal, assuming that Simon probably wouldn't want to eat very much. So I scaled down the quantity a little. I was tempted to cook up a greasy pan of bacon or fish to punish him some more, but I didn't want to eat that either. Did I really want to punish him? Not really, I loved the silly fool, but I wanted him to act more responsibly. I would keep up the bet, but I made a relatively bland meal of corned beef hash, which I knew he liked.

Stella came breezing in as I was doing the spuds, I told her about our bet, she laughed. I wasn't sure she knew much more about the laundry, but stopped myself from thinking it. Who did it before they met me and absorbed me into their lives. It must have been her, because I know it wasn't Simon, or perhaps she took it to the laundrette or something.

I carried on making the meal and thinking how I'd find out, even if I did seem to be getting rather petty about life.

up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Our Cathy is developing

A bit of a mean streak. I imagine there are many of us who have had some proficiency in the 12 ounce curl (what you call it in the U.K. I've no idea); Simon isn't particularly old to still be competing on an amateur basis. I have paid the price in several different ways and finally just decided the hell with it and stopped going out. I don't imagine Cathy is in any position to be holier than thou about it, she's got a few vices of her own.

But I suggest she do her own dainties, Simon is likely to throw them in with the denims and coloreds and wash them all in hot water, at least once. :)

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

6-pack abbs.

Well, you do enough of those 12 ounce curls, you end up with 6-pack abs (pour a 6-pack into a bag, if you want to know what I'm referring to). :-)

I HOPE she doesn't tell Simon that you iron EVERYTHING (including unders) with starch (while carefully dealing with her own...).

Annette

I don't believe that

Angharad's picture

plus regular Hughies/technicolour yawns destroy your teeth. Don't believe me have a look at the smile of anorexics or bulimics.

Angharad

Angharad

Sometimes you have to be mean, or seem that way...

As our son was growing into early manhood (he's almost 21 and we're quite proud of his maturity, "now"). There were more than a few occasions that we had to be mean, and in fact we probably were. Sometimes that's what it takes to make the training stick. Simon has shown lots of flashes of maturity, but just flashes. He doesn't really know how to handle being an adult, especially in a relationship. I bet that's the main reason his previous girlfriends & almost girlfriends, dropped him. They didn't want to wait for him to "get his act together." Cathy is different, she's emotionally invested in Simon (ie, loves him) and is willing to "be a bit mean" to get him to shape up.

Janice

EAFOAB

Those of us that prefer a more dignified appellation refer to it as, praying to the porcelain goddess.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

When I was younger

And sillier, we called it 'talking to Ralph on the great white telephone'.

And Cathy is tempting fate, Geoff, by employing foreknowledge of the future. Simon could change the course of history by exerting his financial influence to cause Wales to lose. Anybody that reads Sci-Fi knows that!

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Ralph

An audience with Ralph the Toilet God or plain Ralphing.

Making an offering...

erin's picture

... at the porcelain altar. :)

Oh, Angharad, you do inspire some odd discussions. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

What an Education I'm Getting

Reading all these comments, I'm learning a lot of new terms for throwing up. Next time I'm laid out with the flu, maybe I'll get to use some of them. Since I no longer do the 12-ounce curl, (I take it coffee doesn't count?) that's the only way I'll get into condition to use them.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Check Any Dictionary

...of Australian slang. It seems like half of the entries are extraordinarily colorful expressions about throwing up.

And the other half...

erin's picture

...seem to be about getting drunk. :) Pretty much like American or British slang, actually.

Hugs to all Australians,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

hmmph

kristina l s's picture

pokes out tongue and burps. 'what us lot..uncouth?'

Kristina

I have a friend in Oz

I have a friend in Oz who talks about “pointing Percy at the porcelain” when he goes for a wee. I know it's the "wrong end" but I just thought I'd add my two penn'orth.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Wasn't it

Talking to Ralph about a Buick or something along those lines? hehe

Diana

That's a bit unfair.

Cathy (err I mean Angharad) already knows that Wales won the Grand Slam (by a total fluke ;) ) so poor old Simon doesn't stand a chance.

Thanks for another entertaining episode.

Geoff

And what's wrong with that?

Angharad has every right to use omniscience with her characters - next you'll be telling Simon that insider trading is wrong! ;)

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Rugby

May I remind all the Welshmen celebrating a recent event, that after hubris comes nemesis.

Serves him right!

I wonder if this is enough to get his attention on the danger of OVER indulging in alcoholic beverages.

Probably not, cause that would be tooooo easy. :-)

Thanks for another fix.

Annette

There Is One Thing That We Must Remember..

This is fiction and need not follow what really happens but either way it goes, it will be fun.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I'm just wonderin'.....

KevSkegRed's picture

....If Angharad has any special plans for the 250th episode?? Maybe another disaster along the lines of the motorway pile up, where Cathy once again saves the day.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

What you mean like

Angharad's picture

a nuclear strike on Portsmouth or the earth gets hit by a large asteroid, or worse, Des comes to live next door?

Angharad

Angharad

Be Afraid

Cathy could find out she was adopted and she's the illegitimate child of Jerry Lewis and he comes to visit her.

"Hello, nice LAAAAADY!"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

That's scary!

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. In college, oh my. Prayed a few times too.

John in Wauwatosa

A Nuclear strike on Portsmouth......

KevSkegRed's picture

....Nooooooo, that would wipe out all the dormice too, poor Spike, don't give your cat ideas Angharad. Plus I have relatives in Swindon, Bournemouth and Trowbridge that could be affected by fallout or sommat.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Just how long

Are the Camerons going to be staying at Tom's house?

There will be squatters moving into the cottage soon.

Audrey.

Sounds like Cathy is going

Sounds like Cathy is going to at Simon for a while to get him to "grow up" more than he is now. Apparently Simon needs to cut back on his drinking if it affects him that much. I had two friends that really made me laugh when they drank too much one time. One fell off her bed after saying the "World was spinning" and hit the floor face down. When I asked her if she was okay, she said "oh, it is so much nicer down here". The other girl went in the shower and simply passed out there with water hitting her in the face. Luckily I checked on her, as she was sitting there with her mouth open. Don't know if she would have drowned or not, but I didn't want to lose her that way, so moved her. Oh yeah, she was still fully Clothed! Simon does not have my sympathy in this one. J-Lynn

Drinking

I seem to remember promises to cut down. I suspect this has a lot to do with his punishment. Still, I would leave Des out of it.

Ah, the power of the thighs.

Ah, the power of the thighs. Just in case, look up dominatrix clothing, may be you both can have fun if Wales packs it in.
She really must do something about Simon's drinking. I can hear his liver hardening from here.

Cefin